Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Condit is 2-3 in his last 5, losing to Hendricks, Woodly (Blew his knee) & GSP. He beat a over the hill Kapmann & fair enough destroyed Alves but hes massivly skipping the que and will get destroyed by Robbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭xtal191

Even Woodley has a case to be ahead of Condit.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

I agree with the UFC putting CC ahead of Big Rigg. From a viewer's point of view, that is the fight I'd rather see.

Also after all the Woodley taunting, I would like to see how that fight goes.

I don't think Johny has impressed the UFC with his win over Matt Brown and pulling a "Frankie" by saying he will only fight for the title next. It is well known that they do not like fighters that "wait" but fighters that are always "ready for that call".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm in two minds about this, I really wanted to see Condit v Matt Brown.

But Robbie and Condit are two of my absolute favourite fighters and I'll really be excited for that one.

Matchmaking be dammed, I can't warn to Hendricks (and his fúcking walkout music.) Maybe he should have the next shot. BUT look at it this way... he's had 3 title fights from his last 4 matches and he's only won one of them. He's not a draw and was very dull for stretches of the second Lawler fight. Another match will do him no harm, he doesn't have a divine right to fight for the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

ASOT wrote: »
    Condit is 2-3 in his last 5, losing to Hendricks, Woodly (Blew his knee) & GSP. He beat a over the hill Kapmann & fair enough destroyed Alves but hes massivly skipping the que and will get destroyed by Robbie.

Well he gave gsp a great fight and of course like you said blew his knee in the loss to woodley. Alves was on a tear himself before condit beat him. The Hendricks fight was very close too. I think he is the best or second best WW out there. Why the hell wouldn't you look forward to that fight? Way way more exciting than lawlor Hendricks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone know of any discount codes knocking around for the official EU UFC store lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ive missed a few pages here. anyone see the ridiculously low earnings Todd Duffee got?! he was on the main card but only got $12,000
    Frank Mir got $200,000. theres different ways of looking at it but the UFC business is starting to stink

I used to like Dana, but I think he's a bit of a prick now, he can get away with it tho but doesnt mean he should act that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hendricks seems a little bit robotic, he can put together combos but hes not very fluid

weemcd wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about this, I really wanted to see Condit v Matt Brown.

But Robbie and Condit are two of my absolute favourite fighters and I'll really be excited for that one.

Matchmaking be dammed, I can't warn to Hendricks (and his fúcking walkout music.) Maybe he should have the next shot. BUT look at it this way... he's had 3 title fights from his last 4 matches and he's only won one of them. He's not a draw and was very dull for stretches of the second Lawler fight. Another match will do him no harm, he doesn't have a divine right to fight for the belt.

It's not that I wouldn't want to see it but it's the fact I think he gets destroyed by Robbie is the problem, Hendricks Robbie 1 was great, 2 was terrible because Hendricks refused to engage which he's acknowledged so id be sure there third fight will be similar to the first which id much rather see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    Nobody has ever destroyed Condit though so I can see it being an absolute war.

Hopefully but Robbie is scarily good at the moment so I'm not sure, hopefully it's a cracker anyway I'm looking forward to it just was giving my 2 cents on where I taught he was in the pecking order!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nobody has ever destroyed Condit though so I can see it being an absolute war.

Nobody ever destroyed Rory McDonald either till Robbie came along. I can see it ending similar to the recent Rory fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Well Condit destroyed Rory just as bad if not worse and Robbie like Condit was losing the fight up till the ending.

Maybe he will blow Condit away but Condits chin will have to be on the wain for it to happen imo.

Robbie wasn't losing the fight. He was rocked at one stage but that was it

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Not on the score cards though he was 3-1 down going into the fIfth.

Not on the score cards though he was 3-1 down going into the fIfth.

It wouldn't be the first time judges got it arseways

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

I'd have given Rory the 1st; 3rd and 4th too. After watching it 4/5 times I cannot change my mind.
    Have to agree I think Hendricks deserved another shot as I had him winning that 2nd Lawler fight too.
    Any word on when Weidman is next out now that MSG is a non runner in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Condit is a match for anyone in a pure standup fight and this is what it'll be. I'd favour Lawler but this is a massive chance for Condit. He'll lose to the first strong wrestler he faces though.

Yeah it wouldn't but they were right, by MAM scoring Robbie only won one round don't let the damage to Rory sway your judgement because it if went on damage GSP wouldn't have the legacy he has.

• Advertisement

Pretty interesting story about how Bruce Buffer met his brother, boxing announcer Michael. I never actually knew they only met when Bruce was 30 (Michael was 49) and always assumed they had grown up together.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/437074/How-Bruce-Buffer-met-his-brother-Michael-at-age-30/
    Bruce and Michael did not grow up together. In fact, it wasn't until Bruce was 30 and Michael in his 40s that they learned they were half-brothers, both offspring of the father who raised Bruce and whom Michael did not know. The family reunion came about because Bruce, a lifelong boxing fan whose grandfather -- and Michael's, too -- was the bantamweight world champion Johnny Buff, got to wondering about the man with his last name who was introducing the fights he liked to watch on TV.

"I used to get butterflies in my stomach every time I saw his name flash on the TV screen," said Bruce. "It just didn't make sense to me. I'd seen just about every phone book in the country, from working in telemarketing, and had often looked up my last name. You didn't see the last name 'Buffer' every day. "

Bruce mentioned his curiosity to his father during a car ride, "and it was a good thing he was the one driving, instead of me, when he told me what he told me," said Buffer. "I had no idea he'd been married before marrying my mom, much less that he'd had a child. I was, like, 'What are you talking about?' I mean, I'm not 12, I'm not 8, I'm not 2, I'm 30, and I've already got my life going on a path. Where do we go from here?"

Buffer weaves the story of that rerouted path in his new autobiography, It's Time: My 360 Degree View of the UFC (Crown Publishing). How he tracked down Michael at an arena where he was working a boxing card, and got him on the phone with their dad that very night. How the brothers became friendly, and Michael eventually entrusted Bruce, who'd built lucrative telemarketing companies, with managing his career and helping him trademark his famous catchphrase, "Let's get ready to rumble." How Bruce followed his brother into the UFC octagon, where Michael had announced a couple of fight cards. How Bruce has grown with the behemoth mixed martial arts promotion and become an icon himself, a jumping, spinning, in-your-face voice of the octagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Paully D wrote: »
    Pretty interesting story about how Bruce Buffer met his brother, boxing announcer Michael. I never actually knew they only met when Bruce was 30 (Michael was 49) and always assumed they had grown up together.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/437074/How-Bruce-Buffer-met-his-brother-Michael-at-age-30/

Think it was on the Bryan Callen podcast he spoke about it before. Very interesting and worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’ve missed a few pages here. anyone see the ridiculously low earnings Todd Duffee got?! he was on the main card but only got $12,000
    Frank Mir got $200,000. theres different ways of looking at it but the UFC business is starting to stink
    He's was two fights into his contract (8k/8k, 10k/10k, 12k/12k). He'd be still on the undercard if he wasn't a HW, fairly standard contract.
    He should have used the headline fight to renegotiate his pay. If he didn't do that, most of the blame lies with him or his management.

I'm not defending the pay btw, It's too low for a 5 round fight, and it's too low to face Mir. But they aren’t going to hand him extra cash if he just accepts the fight on his current terms. If I agree to move to a job for $50k, I can’t really turn around at the end of the year and complain about my wages if I didn’t re-negotiate.

That said, we don’t know all the details here. Maybe he was paid an undisclosed main event bonus, or maybe he agreed to take the fight on his last contract on the condition that he could leverage the fight against his next contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

All three judges scored the fight identically. They gave Rory rounds 1,3 & 4. He needed to finished Rory to get the win. The fact is he losing the fight.
    Sure judges make mistake, but all three were aligned, and a lot of viewers score it like that too.

Of course scoring is subjective, if you want to make a case for Lawlor being in front, thats fine. The point is, it was a very close fight, Rory wasn’t “destroyed” by Robbie as was suggested.
    The only thing destroyed in that on was both of their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I had it 2-2 going into the 5th. Rory 1st & 3rd Robbie 2nd & 4th. In no alternate universe was Rory getting hammered, it was a ridiculously even fight with Rory almost getting the stoppage.

When I said he destroyed Rory, I was referring to his face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

What has that got to do with anything though?

When I said he destroyed Rory, I was referring to his face

Again if that's the case GSP got destroyed in all his fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Again if that's the case GSP got destroyed in all his fights.

Not this one

gsp-finishes-hughes-o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

^^
    Scary to think thats almost 9 years ago O_O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement