Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm confused about a Gilbert fight. Would Gilbert move up? Surely BJ won't have time to get back to 155 having been training for 170 all this time?

Maybe a catch-weight fight?

Also, if Gilbert was gonna move to UFC, i'd like to see him do it as a LW!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well the way DW keeps saying it'll be huge it would kind of hint towards bringing in a Strikeforce fighter. Maybe Masvidal instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Can't see BJ dropping back to 155 just because Conduit pulled out. But I dunno what else could be so HUGE How ridiculous would Anderson Silva at a catchweight be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

When BJ fights at 170 he never really gets any heavier than that, whereas most 170's walk around in the late 180's...he could easily lose 4 or 5 pounds and then do a small 10 pound cut for that fight. I could defo see it happening.

Masvidal isn't "HUGE" enough. your average UFC Joe Soap wouldnt have a clue who he was.

This is probably true of Melendez too but he's the current LW Champ so we would be reminded of that at every turn I reckon.

I reckon he'll fight Fedor :P

• Advertisement

I know the LW picture is jammed atm but I'd imagine they want to get a few champ vs champ cards in. Especially now the HW and WW ones aren't gonna happen. But maybe it will be Melendez

Aoki.jpg

Jon Fitch on Twitter

@bjpenndotcom I'm cleared to fight oct 29.

Hhmmmmm.............

Does anyone really want to see that fight again? Fitch is a hell of a fighter, but...

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hhmmmmm.............

Dana says at the end of this video that its not Fitch. But he wouldn't give any hints to who it might be.
    http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/09/08/video-dana-white-talks-nick-diaz-no-show-condit-replacement-4335.html

• Advertisement

Shame. Because Fitch deserves another pop at BJ. He won that fight in a lot of people's minds (including BJ's). He is also the undoubted No.2 WW in the world and has been for a long time. he deserves another chance to try become champion.

I still think GSP would murder him, he should get what he deserves.

Also, should Condit somehow beat GSP, I think Fitch would be ecstatic because he would have to be the guy straight in there to take on Condit. Someone else beating GSP is the only way Jon Fitch will become Champion. Fitch is one of the best fighters to have ever lived (despite his seemingly boring style). It's just a shame he happens to live in the same time as St.Pierre!

I think its lookin more and more like Melendez

n507915524_2010510_8306_normal.jpg
    @arielhelwaniAriel Helwani
    RT @InsideCageCSN @JeremyHeavyMMA @arielhelwani We just had Gilbert instudio. says he threw his name in the hat but thinks it's Nick's fight

58 seconds agovia web

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

"Nick" as in Diaz against BJ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Looks like it, this is daft.

Diaz to handle Penn quite easily I'd imagine.

If he's on the same card... Ahh, this hurts my head.

Apparently its been confirmed

BJ Vs Nick Diaz(if he turns up!)

bjpenndotcom BJ PENN
    Me and Nick Diaz!! OCT. 29th
    3 minutes ago

arielhelwani Ariel Helwani
    Just when you thought this week couldn't have gotten crazier. RT @danawhite This is crazy but here we go again! Penn vs Diaz 10/29 in Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

So the main events have been switched around? WTF? Just go back to the original line up, it was awesome.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Now that they don't mind switching fights around, I wonder how they'd feel about switching 138 with, well, anything.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hmmm..... I know Nate has been slagging BJ off recently calling him a Pot-Head etc.

I'm gonna go for............ Nick Diaz ;)

I win :)

Why the instant reprieve for Diaz if Dana is so pissed off at him, "no trust", all the talk.

This whole thing is weird.

So the main events have been switched around? WTF? Just go back to the original line up, it was awesome.

S.

Never gonna happen. They have to punish Diaz for not showing up at press conference so taking away his title shot is probably the worst they could do to him.

I for one do not think this is the end of the Nick Diaz/UFC 137 controversy. Theres bound to be more that goes on before the night itself

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    Why the instant reprieve for Diaz if Dana is so pissed off at him, "no trust", all the talk.

Hardly a reprieve.

He lost his title shot
    Probably being offered less money
    Probably on a last warning

Can you imagine the staredown if (more than likely when) Diaz and GSP win.

Well they have a whole Primetime thing planned for this fight. He can't afford to have Diaz screw that up too. But he knows Condit won't!

THis is a great decision if you ask me!

Devastator wrote: »
    Hardly a reprieve.

He lost his title shot
    Probably being offered less money
    Probably on a last warning

What would you call it? He was kicked off a card, called a disgrace etc. etc. A day later he is on the same fight card against a legend of the sport, probably as the co-main event. This is not much of a punishment in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What would you call it? He was kicked off a card, called a disgrace etc. etc. A day later he is on the same fight card against a legend of the sport, probably as the co-main event. This is not much of a punishment in my opinion.
    Losing a title shot is huge,
    The money is even huger!!!!
    Money is everything to Diaz

I do understand it seems strange bringing him back on the card, but as already been said he's lost his title fight and will loose money.

What is(or should) be more important to a fighter than being the best and having the title?

His punishment may not be finished yet, who's to say he will get an imediate title fight after this? Maybe they'll make him fight(prove his worthiness in terms of promotion) for a few fights before he gets another chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Diaz and BJ will still need to be at the press conference closer to the fight though yeah?

Granted, it's not much of a punishment, but Diaz' deal apparently had PPV points in there, which he won't get now that he's out of the main event, so you're probably looking at this costing him 7 figures.

In terms of why they're not punishing him harder - every welterweight who's half decent is booked up, and I mean they did hire him in the first place in spite of the fact that he's done this several times before, for Strikeforce and EXC by skipping out on drug tests after the promotion bought him tickets to go and take them.

If you mess with fire, you're going to get burned, and I guess the UFC feels that this is kind of a half way house where Nick is KIND OF punished, but the card is still KIND OF good.

I think the guy should've been fired, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Monokne wrote: »
    Granted, it's not much of a punishment, but Diaz' deal apparently had PPV points in there, which he won't get now that he's out of the main event, so you're probably looking at this costing him 7 figures.

In terms of why they're not punishing him harder - every welterweight who's half decent is booked up, and I mean they did hire him in the first place in spite of the fact that he's done this several times before, for Strikeforce and EXC by skipping out on drug tests after the promotion bought him tickets to go and take them.

If you mess with fire, you're going to get burned, and I guess the UFC feels that this is kind of a half way house where Nick is KIND OF punished, but the card is still KIND OF good.

I think the guy should've been fired, but that's just me.

Plenty of time for that yet, the guy is sure to do something retarded between now and fight night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Originally Posted by MrStuffins viewpost.gif
    Hmmm..... I know Nate has been slagging BJ off recently calling him a Pot-Head etc.

If this is true BJ Penn should be the poster boy for the legalization of canabiss and not ming the thing Flanagan.icon11.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement