Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

srumball wrote: »
    Not this one

gsp-finishes-hughes-o.gif

True that, he looks like Rory here.

matt-hughes-scared-after-seeing-gsp-face.jpg~320x480

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    When I said he destroyed Rory, I was referring to his face
    That makes even less sense tbh.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Nobody ever destroyed Rory McDonald either till Robbie came along. I can see it ending similar to the recent Rory fight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I remember at the time having Lawler v McDonald 2-2 going into the 5th, but when I watched it back I could see it being 3-1 to Rory. He had Robbie on bandy legs on two separate occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    That makes even less sense tbh.

To clarify, nobody has ever left Rory's face in such a state. To me he looked destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ASOT wrote: »
    Again if that's the case GSP got destroyed in all his fights.
    All his fights? Hardly. Only coming to the end of his career did he start to take a lot of punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Watching it I gave the first 2 rounds to robbie just and the 3rd and 4th to Rory clearly. I thought the first was debatable. Watching it back on tv i could see them giving the first to Rory so 3-1 didn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

3rd round was the only iffy one, Rob was winning but Rory rocked him and landed a huge amount in the last minute of the round. It was probably 10-15 seconds away from being stopped, personally I found it hard to not give that round to Mac and the judges agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

I just watched it this morning actually, was a good fight alright.

98bc69853ce32b6e8ef61c62294676e9ad41912ebe5267445ebe14f8e412ee24_large

CJvnq_-WoAANaqf.jpg

robbie-lawler-ufc-189-lip1.jpg?w=1000

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That lip still gives me shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

So Robbie started walking at him!

Lawler is by no means the best UFC Champion in history but he may well own some of the best Championship fights when he's done.

Have to love his title run

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Does anyone have a photo of this? it's by far one of my favorite UFC moments.
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    So Robbie started walking at him!

Lawler is by no means the best UFC Champion in history but he may well own some of the best Championship fights when he's done.

Have to love his title run

Not the best Champion in UFC history, but nobody can say that he is not a legit Champion.

Sometimes people look at the likes of Serra, Forrest, Rashad etc., people who never defended their belt, as a step down from the likes of your GSPs and your Randy Coutures.

Nobody can ever say it about Robbie! He fought his way there. Beat the top WWs at the time, lost to the champ, fought his way back there and now defended his title in a very "champion" like way in my opinion. He got in against a tough guy, was posibly losing and dug deep to pull it out.

Like Jon Jones (v Gus) and Anderson (v Chael) before him, it's the stuff champions are made of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Best I can find

rory3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Amazing stuff. Neither of them have a nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Think it was on the Bryan Callen podcast he spoke about it before. Very interesting and worth a listen.

Do you have a link to it mate? The only one I could find was with Callen and Schaub from about a year ago:

It's actually worth a listen anyway IMO but I can't recall hearing anything on it about him and Michael meeting for the first time etc.

Anyone who wants to listen to Bruce speak about the ladies, go to around 24 minutes in and listen from there :pac: He also speaks about his elevator fight with Frank Trigg too which is a cracking story.

I could listen to Bruce all day to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Lawler/McDonald rd 1 is a 10-10 round, one of the most clear ones ever, yet nobody scores it a draw. Maddening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Paully D wrote: »
    Do you have a link to it mate? The only one I could find was with Callen and Schaub from about a year ago:

This should work: http://bryancallen.com/2013/04/11/ep37-bruce-buffer/

He had his own podcast before fighter and the kid, rarely does it anymore. Interesting past podcasts with some great guests for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's actually worth a listen anyway IMO but I can't recall hearing anything on it about him and Michael meeting for the first time etc.

Anyone who wants to listen to Bruce speak about the ladies, go to around 24 minutes in and listen from there :pac: He also speaks about his elevator fight with Frank Trigg too which is a cracking story.

I could listen to Bruce all day to be honest.

Bruce is a legend, here's my little Bruce story.

I made a lot of friends in the UFC Fight club and go to events with them all, now there was about 20 odd of us, from all over the world who were pretty tight, if ever an event came to your city you'd organise a piss up after the weigh ins, as in pop to the FC party then go to ours.
    There were 2 of us in Dublin who organised the Dublin meet up for UFC 93, me and another guy, now he was minted, and seemed to love throwing his money around so he goes and books the Octagon bar in the Clarence hotel, orders canapes, champagne, the works.
    We knew the refs and a few UFC people who we invited, then i reached out to Buffer, told him what was going on and that he was more than welcome to come along.
    Cue around 20:00 that night, in walks Buffer with Arianny and Edith :D:D
    Fcuk the guy can drink, the 2 girls were ok, i think they were happy to be able to chill out and drink and not be hassled by every
    My son, who was 17 at the time, sat down with them, was so awestruck with Arianny he picked Buffers pint up and necked it, buffer thought that was hilarious and bought another round.

Here's 1 of the pics, The girls, Dan (my son) and Bobby who came over from Texas

ufc_zps5mxujfro.jpg

• Advertisement

Great story Scud, I bet that was a superb night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Edith:D

By the way, did anyone see the CM Punk Q&A last night?

Some dude at it really had a go at him, started saying he was shagging his sister etc and wanted a fight with Punk. Turns out the guy is called Dillion Pousson who trains (well, trained) out of Tyron Woodley's gym. Woodley called him today and told him he wasn't welcomed back after his stunt :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

By the way, did anyone see the CM Punk Q&A last night?

Some dude at it really had a go at him, started saying he was shagging his sister etc and wanted a fight with Punk. Turns out the guy is called Dillion Pousson who trains (well, trained) out of Tyron Woodley's gym. Woodley called him today and told him he wasn't welcomed back after his stunt :pac:

That rare mix of tact and class. Jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

That rare mix of tact and class. Jesus...

nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

dave1982 wrote: »

That's such a bizarre response. Why should DW and stitch be friends? If stitch and DW were friends, would he still have a job? I just can't fathom this. It's not like the myth of the Dana White and Stitch friendship is even the story here.

I've always been a big fan of Dana but since this Reebok thing has come in, he seems to be losing the plot. I wonder how happy the Fertitas are with him, at times.

dulux99 wrote: »
    That's such a bizarre response. Why should DW and stitch be friends? If stitch and DW were friends, would he still have a job? I just can't fathom this. It's not like the myth of the Dana White and Stitch friendship is even the story here.

I've always been a big fan of Dana but since this Reebok thing has come in, he seems to be losing the plot. I wonder how happy the Fertitas are with him, at times.

His response was to Stitchs comments that they were friends and wondered why Dana didn't call him himself to fire him, he's more or less just saying that what stitch said wasn't true and that they weren't close past a business level.

Might not have been friends, maybe stitch considered Dana friend.Dana owed him some loyalty.

How many fights went went to next round with stitch working on them, just glad Dana can't him from working like he did wandy and Randy

Didn't he ban sherdog from ufc events because they reported something he didn't like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

ASOT wrote: »
    His response was to Stitchs comments that they were friends and wondered why Dana didn't call him himself to fire him, he's more or less just saying that what stitch said wasn't true and that they weren't close past a business level.

I know that. But for that to be Dana's only real explanation on the matter is what's bizarre. They should not have to be close, the cut man does a real, important job.

I've said it before, but I really mean this. Dana and Lorenzo are constantly talking about how they're striving to be considered a proper sports league, but with Dana's erratic behaviour at the helm, it will never be. Imagine the head of the NFL insulting people's looks on twitter, and calling them "goofballs" etc. . It just wouldn't happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement