Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Davei141 wrote: »
    http://www.cagepotato.com/tag/shill-em-all/

Check this out, 5 part series about the state of MMA media and how they're basically PR people for the most part because they get blacklisted/bullied otherwise.

Excellent read cheers Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ben fowlkes over at mmajunkie summed the stitch thing up quite well I feel -

"Fowlkes: I’ll tell you what gives it some extra staying power, is UFC President Dana White’s response to it. “We’re not friends”? Seriously? That wasn’t the question, nor should it have been. Who cares if you were friends? The outrage over Duran’s firing wasn’t rooted in some belief that these two were best buddies. It was a reaction at the UFC’s aggressively heavy-handed response to criticism.

Going on and on about how unimportant cutmen are, how they’re essentially a dime a dozen and no one White would stoop to talk to (“We have a department for that,” White said) does nothing to dispel the image of the UFC as a cutthroat company that expects a degree of loyalty it rarely reciprocates. The only good thing it does, from the UFC’s perspective, is allow White to shift the discussion.

You’re right, though. It does seem strange that after everything, this would be the thing that would get fans worked up. So cutting the entire AKA squad back when they didn’t immediately sign away their likeness rights for free, that was cool? But dismissing a cutman who’s been around so long he feels like UFC wallpaper, that’s where we draw the line?

Maybe this was just the last straw for a lot of people. Coming as it did at a time when the UFC is already under fire for the Reebok deal, which seems to be costing plenty of fighters plenty of money, this knee-jerk reaction to fairly innocuous comments seems so UFC-ish that it would have been an effective parody of the UFC’s corporate culture if it wasn’t something that, you know, actually happened.

Then you’ve got White using his Twitter as if he is actively trying to alienate fans who commit the sin of expressing an opinion about the company they give their money to. Add it all up, and it starts to feel like we’re approaching a tipping point, does it not?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

The sad reality Is, no matter how much a **** Dana Is, or how badly he treats staff,fighters,fans etc. We are all going to still watch the UFC and still pour money Into It because we love MMA. Dana knows that, so he doesn't give a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Had a chuckle there at 2FM. They just announced "The last man to beat Conor McGregor" Joe Duffy will be on the show tomorrow.

Nicky Westlife "Oh, so what's he up to? Is he still fighting?"
    Producer "Ah yes, he's in the UFC...."
    Nicky "Oh.....oh....."

Big MMA fan (Which he claimed many times whenever there was a Conor fight) my hole! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Your man Stitch was on Off the Ball tonight at 7.30, I only caught the first min of it but you can listen back on the Newstalk website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

UFC are suing Wanderlei regarding his match fixing comments. I bet his arse has dropped now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

LOL

Put up or shut up Wandy. Mad hoore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

John Kavanagh will be on TV3 at 11pm tonight discussing MMA. Safety is likely to feature heavily. However the world could turn on its axis and stimulating conversatation may happen.

Hopefully he's not talking to the eejits from Ireland AM, Jaysus...

I wonder if John will invite Joe/Tristar to train with SBG when they come over.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Hopefully he's not talking to the eejits from Ireland AM, Jaysus...

Not a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

wonder if wanderlei's comments are pure bulls*** or does he have something concrete... doubt it but you never know

John Kavanagh will be on TV3 at 11pm tonight discussing MMA. Safety is likely to feature heavily. However the world could turn on its axis and stimulating conversatation may happen.

"Cage fighting"

"Da UFC"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

sean_b97 wrote: »
    wonder if wanderlei's comments are pure bulls*** or does he have something concrete... doubt it but you never know

Probably all BS, Wandy has really lost the plot over the last 12 months and is becoming a bitter old man, such a shame as he was one of my fav ever fighters and IMO this is just tarnashing his legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Doubt it. With the inevitable McGregor talk and the fact that Kavanagh was a little arsey when Duffy won his first fight.

"Is it organised violence..."

Here we go :pac:

How much of this other **** will we have to watch before John is on, I wonder? 2 minutes in and I'm bored already.

Am i missing something? I'm on tv3 and some old fella was talking to some other old fella. Is the program The Late Review?

Am i missing something? I'm on tv3 and some old fella was talking to some other old fella. Is the program The Late Review?

Aye, that's it. I've sat through 20 minutes now and I'm struggling. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It is yer man said he was stepping in the octagon with John along with posted above.

Unrelated; Reneua are for water charges whats the point! they can go f**k too :D

"Is it violence dressed as entertainment?" :pac:

As you all look at that 'old man', remember he is married to Miriam O'Callaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

They're going to try and railroad John Kavanagh here.

As you all look at that 'old man', remember he is married to Miriam O'Callaghan.

Was, haven't been together in nearly 20 years.

I'd pay good money to see Kavanagh put McGurk to sleep here.

Is that it? Was that even 10 minutes?

Was, haven't been together in nearly 20 years.

Meant to edit and say used to be, distracted then watching. Only 20 years off anyway.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Is that it? Was that even 10 minutes?

Would you really want to have it go on longer?Half was spent discussing boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Weird debate. Eoghan Corry seemed to want to debate the more philosophical aspect of the sport and what it's all about but McGurk wanted to make Kavanagh debate the level of violence. So Kavanagh had no choice but to re-hash the same old lines.

I'd actually like to see Eoghan Corry make his point in a better environment with someone other than Kavanagh. Kavanagh's a great coach but maybe not the most philosophical of people. I'd like to have heard Corry expand on his thoughts a bit more.

Would you really want to have it go on longer?Half was spent discussing boxing.

There's a lot I would have liked to see done differently in that piece (of ****e)

McGurk was seriously reaching when he tried to bring up Fallon Fox.

• Advertisement

Eoghan Corry wasn't necessarily drastically wrong in any of his points, just maybe with his opinion that the sport isn't here to stay. I thought it was going to descend into a debate about how it's mindless violence . To be fair to Corry, he didn't shy away from the fact that violence isn't exclusive to mma.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement