Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

dulux99 wrote: »
    Eoghan Corry wasn't necessarily drastically wrong in any of his points, just maybe with his opinion that the sport isn't here to stay. I thought it was going to descend into a debate about how it's mindless violence . To be fair to Corry, he didn't shy away from the fact that violence isn't exclusive to mma.

To be fair to Corry, he didn't focus on the tired old "please think of the children" thing that we always see when MMA is debated in Ireland. He showed up to debate the roots of the sport and the UFC itself, rather than complaining about head kicks. It's progression in itself, problem is that the presenter was completely disinterested and reached for the 2005 argument and then watched the clock for when the ad break is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

3 people debating, what seemed to be, three different arguments. All a bit strange.

Jk came across well as per usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Eoghans wig is lovely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

To be fair to Corry, he didn't focus on the tired old "please think of the children" thing that we always see when MMA is debated in Ireland. He showed up to debate the roots of the sport and the UFC itself, rather than complaining about head kicks. It's progression in itself, problem is that the presenter was completely disinterested and reached for the 2005 argument and then watched the clock for when the ad break is due.

Yeah I would like to have heard him and JK talk more but I've found from watching rugby that McGurk really does tend to stifle interesting debate and you end up hearing his views or what he wants to talk about more than the actual interesting panelists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ASOT wrote: »
    Eoghans wig is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sound for the link, watched 5 minutes and had to turn it off. Too early to be listening to that gobshyte! I had to laugh when they showed GSP busted up and all the ultra voilent pics. Fair Play John for not choking him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Arlovski vs Mir set for UFC 191. Always hard to root against Arlovski but cmooooooon Miiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Anyone know why Sergei Kharitonov wasn't brought over to the UFC after Strikeforce? I've only seen a handful of his fights, but it seems off that the UFC, who seem desperate for heavyweights, wouldn't sign someone with a relatively decent record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Arlovski vs Mir set for UFC 191. Always hard to root against Arlovski but cmooooooon Miiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrr!!

Will mir have given birth by then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ok, finally listened to that show with JK. Christ, that was infuriating. For anyone who doesn't want suffer in pain listening to it, it goes as follows.

Old guy 1: "This sport is terribly violent. Look at all the blood!"
    Old guy 2: "It's theatrical and not the real thing. It's great!"
    JK: "You're both wrong because..." *gets interrupted*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

McGurk was seriously reaching when he tried to bring up Fallon Fox.

Amazing how they can research that but they can never find or bother looking for the rule set.

"So everything is allowed then? there is no rules?"

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Lads someone educate me here. From my memory of watching UFC:
    1. Mir Sylvia
    2. Mir Noguiera
    3. Anderson Silva

Are they the only broken bones in 20 odd years? Prob loads more but cannot think of top of my head.

That debate was painful. Was a great analysis done on documentary channel few years ago which Couture took part in looking and analysing various martial arts and their force, etc. Look at guys like Ger McClellan to name one.
    Grappling aspect of mma makes it nowhere near as dangerous in my mind. Im a huge fan and have done boxing for nearly 20 years and I couldn't imagine my head thumping as much after mma if I took it up thanks to the grappling aspect and the lack of focus on one finishing move; eg boxing and it's focus on head shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Corey Hills ill never forget >_<

Amazing how they can research that but they can never find or bother looking for the rule set.

"So everything is allowed then? there is no rules?"

The eye gouging bit :-) What an uneducated eejit :-) Thought it was weak all round but JK wasn't given a chance to ram home his points. Was defo the stronger argument coming from him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wait what? Has JK never watched a Jon Jones fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Lads someone educate me here. From my memory of watching UFC:
    1. Mir Sylvia
    2. Mir Noguiera
    3. Anderson Silva

Are they the only broken bones in 20 odd years? Prob loads more but cannot think of top of my head.

That debate was painful. Was a great analysis done on documentary channel few years ago which Couture took part in looking and analysing various martial arts and their force, etc. Look at guys like Ger McClellan to name one.
    Grappling aspect of mma makes it nowhere near as dangerous in my mind. Im a huge fan and have done boxing for nearly 20 years and I couldn't imagine my head thumping as much after mma if I took it up thanks to the grappling aspect and the lack of focus on one finishing move; eg boxing and it's focus on head shots.

Rousey messed up Tate's arm pretty badly.

Also, I seem to remember Steve Cantwell winning by a nasty armbar and bragging afterwards about breaking the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd imagine there's been hundreds of broken bones, just not so visible.

I think of quote a few orbitals, hands and feet that have been bashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

God I'm a newbie to all things mma and I cringed at that interview so can see all you long time mma fans must have been worse how JK didn't just say fcuk this il never no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 MMATycoon

There are loooooooooads of broken bones. Probably a few every event if you check the medical reports (usually posted somewhere like sherdog a couple of days after the event).

One of the more famous ones (might have been WEC), was when Faber shattered both his hands and fought using elbows only for 2 rounds, vs Mike Brown (I think).

Also, if you don't know about Forrest Griffin breaking his arm then winning by sub, that's quite cool and is why he has a lump in the middle of his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rich Franklin I believe had a broken hand when he KO'd Chuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

1. Mir Sylvia
    Corey Hills ill never forget >_<

Both of these still send a chill down my spine. Corey Hills was awful but of all the serious injuries ive seen in MMA, Tim Sylvia's was the hardest for me to watch.

At fist everyone (including Sylvia himself) was like 'WTF you stop the fight for??', but when they showed the replay, oh my god. Dont know why but its always the first one that comes into my mind. What a beast Sylvia was and Mir as well for that matter. Herb Dean was about to get lynched until people realised he was 100% in the right. Crazy situation.

MMATycoon wrote: »
    There are loooooooooads of broken bones. Probably a few every event if you check the medical reports (usually posted somewhere like sherdog a couple of days after the event).

One of the more famous ones (might have been WEC), was when Faber shattered both his hands and fought using elbows only for 2 rounds, vs Mike Brown (I think).

Also, if you don't know about Forrest Griffin breaking his arm then winning by sub, that's quite cool and is why he has a lump in the middle of his arm.

Ah yeah sorry should have phrased better - real high visible ones that shocked a few people :-)
    Pretty sure Coutures arm was broken against Gonzaga too from a punch he threw in the first round!
    Whod Griffin break his arm against can you remember?

John_D80 wrote: »
    Both of these still send a chill down my spine. Corey Hills was awful but of all the serious injuries ive seen in MMA, Tim Sylvia's was the hardest for me to watch.

At fist everyone (including Sylvia himself) was like 'WTF you stop the fight for??', but when they showed the replay, oh my god. Dont know why but its always the first one that comes into my mind. What a beast Sylvia was and Mir as well for that matter. Herb Dean was about to get lynched until people realised he was 100% in the right. Crazy situation.

Yeah Sylvias reaction was surreal. He thanked Dean later for saving his career as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Yeah Sylvias reaction was surreal. He thanked Dean later for saving his career as far as I remember.

He was lucky mazagati wasn't ref, he could have had his limb removed and used as a club before it was stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I wish Mir would work on take downs to allow him to use his submission skills from dominant positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Thats pretty cool. Never knew that.

Piece on MMAjunkie about that night from Bruce Buffers perspective.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/ten-years-later-bruce-buffer-remembers-the-night-he-failed-frank-mir

jcd5971 wrote: »
    He was lucky mazagati wasn't ref, he could have had his limb removed and used as a club before it was stopped

Haha that made me laugh!
    Will never forget Mazzagati in relation to the time Fitch was choked out. Cannot remember who done it but it wasn't UFC.
    He was bloody slow with Mirs leglock on Lesnar too.
    Those come to mind but he has been involved in far too many questionable calls for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine there's been hundreds of broken bones, just not so visible.

I think of quote a few orbitals, hands and feet that have been bashed.

Yeah I'd say there's been about 100 broken bones. Maybe more.

Off the top of my head;
    Rory, broken nose and foot (ufc 189)
    Chad broke his thumb I heard.
    There was a whole host of medical susoensions after ufc 189. maybe 5or 6 guys with potential broken bones.
    Cub Swanson, broken jaw and hand (holloway)
    Miesha Tate, orbital bone (McCann)
    John Makdessi, jaw (vrs Cerrone)
    Jose Aldo, broken foot (Korean zombie)
    Jon Jones, broken toe
    Ronda Rousey, hand
    Mark hunt, hand (bigfoot)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement