Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anyone remember Uriah Hall's broken toe against Thiago Santos last year? That was hard to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

A few broken orbital bones .. I think

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MMATycoon

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Ah yeah sorry should have phrased better - real high visible ones that shocked a few people :-)
    Pretty sure Coutures arm was broken against Gonzaga too from a punch he threw in the first round!
    Whod Griffin break his arm against can you remember?

Griffin's one was before he was in the UFC. Would post a link but I can't yet :D
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Uriah Hall's broken toe against Thiago Santos last year? That was hard to look at.

Yeah that was so grim!

Not a break but Dylan Andrews dislocated his shoulder vs Clint Hester and fought for half a round with it just hanging there, till he had to retire in between rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rich Franklin I believe had a broken hand when he KO'd Chuck.

Gonzaga broke Couture's arm with a kick shortly before Couture finished the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

In most cases broken bones are pretty minor injuries that heal in a few weeks.

Probably the more worrying aspect in MMA is concussion. The sport has not been around that long so we don't the data we have from boxing.

I was speaking to a neuroscientist last week that said numbers as high of 25% of professional boxers show signs of dementia in their 40s and 50s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Haha that made me laugh!
    Will never forget Mazzagati in relation to the time Fitch was choked out. Cannot remember who done it but it wasn't UFC.
    He was bloody slow with Mirs leglock on Lesnar too.
    Those come to mind but he has been involved in far too many questionable calls for my liking.

I've always felt that Mazzagati didn't get anywhere near enough criticism for the Mir/Lesnar one, even though he did get some. Lesnars first tap was probably the most over the top, obvious tap I've ever seen, and Mazzagati still let it go for another few seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if he was even subconsciously after buying into the whole WWE vs UFC sub plot that went on during that fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

dulux99 wrote: »
    I've always felt that Mazzagati didn't get anywhere near enough criticism for the Mir/Lesnar one, even though he did get some. Lesnars first tap was probably the most over the top, obvious tap I've ever seen, and Mazzagati still let it go for another few seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if he was even subconsciously after buying into the whole WWE vs UFC sub plot that went on during that fight

Poor old mazagati just makes crazy decisions is all, the worst one was it John fitch I'm a bit foggy who got choked into unconsciousness with mazagati standing there staring into space obviously considering the implications of string theory and quantum entanglement... Or more likely if he should grow back his moustache.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Another broken bone. This one was cracking. The walkaway signature KO
    485x323xstefan-struve-mark-hunt-elite-daily.jpg.pagespeed.ic.PseUTfV-3q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Fitch choke was against Josh Burkman I'd link vid but I'm on phone at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Another broken bone. This one was cracking. The walkaway signature KO
    485x323xstefan-struve-mark-hunt-elite-daily.jpg.pagespeed.ic.PseUTfV-3q.jpg

And the resulting fracture...

356808.jpg

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And the resulting fracture...

356808.jpg

Jesus some pic

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JJayoo wrote: »
    I wish Mir would work on take downs to allow him to use his submission skills from dominant positions.

Ya, i'm always screaming at the telly for him to takedown whoever and work on a sub but naw, always gotta prove he can strike with the best of them. One of my favourite takedowns of all time and then a slip into mount.

frank-mir-harai-goshi-roy-nelson-judo-ufc-130.gif

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ya, i'm always screaming at the telly for him to takedown whoever and work on a sub but naw, always gotta prove he can strike with the best of them. One of my favourite takedowns of all time and then a slip into mount.

frank-mir-harai-goshi-roy-nelson-judo-ufc-130.gif

Props to the ring maker, I'm surprised the foundations of the building held up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The thing about the fitch choke, is that even if mazzagati left it go for another second or two, fitch would more than likely have been alright after waking up. Imagine the torque and pressure Mir generates on his knee bars, another two seconds of that and lesnar's leg literally could have snapped in half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Jimi Manuwa v Rumble Johnston at UFC 191

Huge fight for Jimi, best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

John Kavanagh didn't handle that particularly well for a guy of his experience, he had a lot of open goals that he missed out on (cases of deaths in boxing/rugby as opposed to MMA, reference to MMA of not being a gentlemanly game by Tom McGurk??, not mentioning the boom in participation numbers in gyms now where kids practice karate/martial arts and learn discipline, not remembering cases of guys being stood down for concussion/head injuries). He allowed himself to get bullied by Eoghan Corry who was just spouting the same rubbish about it being a fad. Look at rugby, imagine if it was an immature sport with recent cases of gouging, kicks/grabbing/squeezing testicles, headbutting, stamping etc, that would too be looked at alarmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

whole picture segment was rediculous aswel, just showed a few of the worst examples, could find you plenty of pictures as bad or even worse of rugby players after or even during matches it was annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Depp wrote: »
    whole picture segment was rediculous aswel, just showed a few of the worst examples, could find you plenty of pictures as bad or even worse of rugby players after or even during matches it was annoying

Pictures were prob lifted from sherdog too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Pictures were prob lifted from sherdog too :D

More than likely! was surprised they didnt jump on rory and robbie after 189 aswel!

Depp wrote: »
    Sensationalising, the program got what it wanted, everyone talking about it.

Shame Kavanagh didn't expose it, I can only imagine what McGregor would have done under that line of questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tobyglen wrote: »
    John Kavanagh didn't handle that particularly well for a guy of his experience, he had a lot of open goals that he missed out on (cases of deaths in boxing/rugby as opposed to MMA, reference to MMA of not being a gentlemanly game by Tom McGurk??, not mentioning the boom in participation numbers in gyms now where kids practice karate/martial arts and learn discipline, not remembering cases of guys being stood down for concussion/head injuries). He allowed himself to get bullied by Eoghan Corry who was just spouting the same rubbish about it being a fad. Look at rugby, imagine if it was an immature sport with recent cases of gouging, kicks/grabbing/squeezing testicles, headbutting, stamping etc, that would too be looked at alarmingly.

In fairness to Kavanagh he didn't really have the chance to jump on anything. McGurk was spouting shite and moving on to spout more shite before Kavanagh could respond to anything.

He was also led to believe the debate was going to be between himself and Corry. McGurk clearly taking a side in the debate said it all about the intentions of the "debate" really.

Paully D wrote: »
    In fairness to Kavanagh he didn't really have the chance to jump on anything. McGurk was spouting shite and moving on to spout more shite before Kavanagh could respond to anything.

He was also led to believe the debate was going to be between himself and Corry. McGurk clearly taking a side in the debate said it all about the intentions of the "debate" really.
    He's still should have stood stronger for me, easy wins missed out on. He's not a novice at this stage and schooling them should have been easy pickings for him. Corry's points were actually farcical, every sport that's successful has got marketed to the 9s- look at the Premiership ffs? Originated because of the demise of boxing??? 3 months after the biggest & most financially successful fight of all time.

Seen Fedor wants Werdum rematch, no way do he deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And werdum wants to co main the aldo mcgregor fight. A heavy weight champ fighting before a fw champ is mad but i guess with his ppv points, conor will make him a ton of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Personally I dont know why people even bother to appear on or give interviews to shows like that one on TV3, The MMA world doesn't need to make these people understand/like MMA,
    Joe Duffy Radio1 for example, twice he talked about the UFC/MMA and both times he didn't listen to one word from the people who knew MMA, When Andrew from SevereMMA was on he was repulsed by the word "severe" before the interview even began ffs
    Complete waste of time talking to these old farts, their regular viewers/listener's have the same mentality as the presenter too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Personally I dont know why people even bother to appear on or give interviews to shows like that one on TV3, The MMA world doesn't need to make these people understand/like MMA,
    Joe Duffy Radio1 for example, twice he talked about the UFC/MMA and both times he didn't listen to one word from the people who knew MMA, When Andrew from SevereMMA was on he was repulsed by the word "severe" before the interview even began ffs
    Complete waste of time talking to these old farts, their regular viewers/listener's have the same mentality as the presenter too

Here's the link to the Joe Duffy piece with McGahon for anyone who missed it/wants to re-listen:

http://severemma.com/2015/04/audio-andrew-mcgahon-on-rte-radios-liveline/

It's hilarious :pac:

"Here's Andrew McGahon from SEVEEEEEEEEERE MMA as it's called" - :pac:

Duffy - "in a sport where you're allowed to kick someone in the head. Knee someone in the head"

McGahon - "you're only allowed to do that from a standing position"

Duffy - "oh well, that's reassuring"

:pac:

I actually came across an interview with yer man from severe mma being interviewed by an American journalist bout conor during the Boston event. Great interview like seeing those who interview being interviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

If anyone hasn't seen Dominic Cruz on the MMA Hour I'd check it out, He fairly tears into TJ and Ludwig.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

TimRiggins wrote: »
    If anyone hasn't seen Dominic Cruz on the MMA Hour I'd check it out, He fairly tears into TJ and Ludwig.

Never seen Cruz like that, must have been trying the McGregor method. He should worry more about getting that dodgy knee fixed.

Anyone think he will get a title shot straight away? He probably deserves it in fairness, albeit I don't think it's in his best interest to jump straight into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Never seen Cruz like that, must have been trying the McGregor method. He should worry more about getting that dodgy knee fixed.

Anyone think he will get a title shot straight away? He probably deserves it in fairness, albeit I don't think it's in his best interest to jump straight into that.

He has too, Faber won't fight TJ and Assuncao is injured. I think Dom beats him to be honest. Can't wait for it.

Would love to see Thomas Almedia against Faber.

Does everyone think they'll put another title fight on with McGregor/Aldo? Cowboy against RDA on with it and it'd do huge numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement