Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Never seen Cruz like that, must have been trying the McGregor method. He should worry more about getting that dodgy knee fixed.

Anyone think he will get a title shot straight away? He probably deserves it in fairness, albeit I don't think it's in his best interest to jump straight into that.

It's hard to deny him if he wants it.
    20-1, 11 straights wins currently,

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

TimRiggins wrote: »
    He has too, Faber won't fight TJ and Assuncao is injured. I think Dom beats him to be honest. Can't wait for it.

I think he beats him too, but straight after being out for a year and with 1 fight in god knows how long?! I'm not so sure! I'm hoping he takes a different fight first.
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    Does everyone think they'll put another title fight on with McGregor/Aldo? Cowboy against RDA on with it and it'd do huge numbers.

Absolutely, they would be mad not too. Would love to see that fight.

Any word on Chris vs Rockhold yet? I know he was holding out for New York but that ain't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

https://twitter.com/DiegoSanchezUFC/status/626912081258741760

145?? Must be considering he says 'new division'. Crazy!! Who's the big name? Frankie? Chad? Lamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

145?? Must be considering he says 'new division'. Crazy!! Who's the big name? Frankie? Chad? Lamas?

Someone mentioned Frankie but Diego replied saying he's not "there yet".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 redmicky

Heavy weight, a return to the glory days of early UFC.
    Sanchez v Fedor, it would break all PPV records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Can he really make 145? At his age thats a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sanchez vs. Guida 2, I'm sure of it.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Can he really make 145? At his age thats a big ask.

He's a small WW, and a little soft. If he cleaned up his diet he's be there in no time.
    If he needs it, there's the option of Dolce or somebody else to help him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He's a small WW, and a little soft. If he cleaned up his diet he's be there in no time.

He looked pretty drained making 155 I am not sure if 145 is such a great idea for him. Less is not always more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mark Hunt tweeted earlier he's fighting at 194 in Melbourne, any idea who against? He's been training with Soa in AKA Thailand so hopefully he'll be in a bit of shape and not cut ridiculous amounts of weight like he usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭xtal191

He looked pretty drained making 155 I am not sure if 145 is such a great idea for him. Less is not always more.

Thats from his last fight, doesn't look that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

xtal191 wrote: »

Thats from his last fight, doesn't look that bad.

He doesn't look too bad, but that's at 155, 145 Is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That's going to end badly. He's Conor's height and more bulky/not as lean. He doesn't know how to exert his size either since he doesn't really wrestle at all anymore. He might win against Guida but if he fights anyone half decent he hasn't a hope.

He doesn't know how to exert his size either since he doesn't really wrestle at all anymore..

That's something I've always found puzzling. His wrestling is decent, at least it was when he used it early on. Why doesn't he use it more? His striking defense is shocking. No head or foot movement whatsoever. Sure, he's got a hell of a chin, but any decent striker will easily out-point him. If you ask me, he's actually lost his last 5 fights.

In saying that, if he can make 145 without completely f**k himself I reckon he could do OK.

Mellor wrote: »

I really think 155 is his limit. Didn't he miss weight a few times as well at 155? Maybe im wrong there.

Worst thing is though, Sanchez is the kinda guy that will kill himself to get to 145 if he has to. For better or worse. I'd genuinely worry about his health come fight night if he was fighting at 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's something I've always found puzzling. His wrestling is decent, at least it was when he used it early on. Why doesn't he use it more? His striking defense is shocking. No head or foot movement whatsoever. Sure, he's got a hell of a chin, but any decent striker will easily out-point him. If you ask me, he's actually lost his last 5 fights.

In saying that, if he can make 145 without completely f**k himself I reckon he could do OK.

I agree with this.

I really don't want to see Sanchez in the cage any more. He seems like a good dude and each time we see him he's more and more punch drunk. He can barely string a sentence together and the fact that his style of defense is to block punches with his mush isn't doing him any favours.

weemcd wrote: »
    Mark Hunt tweeted earlier he's fighting at 194 in Melbourne, any idea who against? He's been training with Soa in AKA Thailand so hopefully he'll be in a bit of shape and not cut ridiculous amounts of weight like he usually does.

He put up a photo earlier looking lighter than usual, said he is aiming to get down to 115kg ahead of the fight.

John_D80 wrote: »
    I really think 155 is his limit. Didn't he miss weight a few times as well at 155? Maybe im wrong there.

Worst thing is though, Sanchez is the kinda guy that will kill himself to get to 145 if he has to. For better or worse. I'd genuinely worry about his health come fight night if he was fighting at 145.

155 might of been his limit at based on his mass at that point. He he wants to get to 145 he'll just need to lose mass, it's fairly easy. Ideally most will be fat, but it doesn't all need to be. It's not unheakthy at all, just needs to be done ahead of time.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I agree with this.

I really don't want to see Sanchez in the cage any more. He seems like a good dude and each time we see him he's more and more punch drunk. He can barely string a sentence together and the fact that his style of defense is to block punches with his mush isn't doing him any favours.

Exactly! The Melendez fight was epic, but he's had far too many of those type of fights...can't be good for the head. He's basically become a punching bag that endlessly punches back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

With tougher and more regular ped testing and the iv ban I'd imagine there will be lots of fighters changing weight classes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How could you possibly enforce the IV ban? I mean how would you test for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

JJayoo wrote: »
    How could you possibly enforce the IV ban? I mean how would you test for it?

From what everyones saying its something to do with plastics from the bag showing up in the blood, other than that all i can think of is checking for needle marks

Mellor wrote: »
    155 might of been his limit at based on his mass at that point. He he wants to get to 145 he'll just need to lose mass, it's fairly easy. Ideally most will be fat, but it doesn't all need to be. It's not unheakthy at all, just needs to be done ahead of time.

I'm not so sure tbh. In theory yes you're absolutely right but everyone has there limit i think, and I reckon 155 is his. No doubt he'll have a good go at it anyway (if it is 145 he's talking about that is).

Crazy to think him and Kenny Florian contested the TUF final as middleweights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Exactly! The Melendez fight was epic, but he's had far too many of those type of fights...can't be good for the head. He's basically become a punching bag that endlessly punches back.

Good ol giblert

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Was on the same flight as Alastair Overeem today - was coming to Dublin from Heathrow, had a quick chat with him about his next fight and he was smiling and laughing about how JDS is avoiding him - not sure why he's in town, sound lad nonetheless

Depp wrote: »
    From what everyones saying its something to do with plastics from the bag showing up in the blood, other than that all i can think of is checking for needle marks

But it's not a total IV ban. They are allowed to use 50ml. So needle marks will show, and their will be some plastic traces too. Plus a glass IV could be used. There will also be some from other environmental factors.
    They were unable to establish a threshold for plastics in cycling as its so variable.

I honestly don't think they'll actively be testing for it. I think it's simply to remove a plausible excuse for plastic traces after blooding doping.
    They will enforce the rule and checking on fighters in the hours after the weighin is probably the best way to catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was never a fan of Jake Shields but im actually a bit worried about his safety tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colmkelly2015

I was looking at the fight schedule of UFC 190 and am disappointed.

Rousey will destroy Bethe (Who mysteriously went up the BM ranks just before the fight [nothing new there Dana])

The Nog's will both lose IMO, and bouts like Bruno v Franca uninteresting.

In fact, the entire card is built on Ronda, and the rest of the fights just fillers.

Even from an objective POV, 189 was outstanding, with a crazy main card and a heap load of highlight reels. It is sad that the next showcase event is this.

• Advertisement

I was looking at the fight schedule of UFC 190 and am disappointed.

Rousey will destroy Bethe (Who mysteriously went up the BM ranks just before the fight [nothing new there Dana])

The Nog's will both lose IMO, and bouts like Bruno v Franca uninteresting.

In fact, the entire card is built on Ronda, and the rest of the fights just fillers.

Even from an objective POV, 189 was outstanding, with a crazy main card and a heap load of highlight reels. It is sad that the next showcase event is this.

You can't compare this to 189 on any level in fairness, nor can it be called a showcase event because it's not at all.

Cards like 189 come around maybe once every 3 years. Not to mention that it was the headline event of fight week. Aldo/McGregor might be big and UFC 200 should be big but other than these it's back to normal for the foreseeable.

So far as I can see, this card is deliberately tailored to the Brazilian market, which to be fair is probably the biggest, outside of the USA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement