Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was never a fan of Jake Shields but im actually a bit worried about his safety tonight.

I find it very strange that he is favourite to win this fight :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I was looking at the fight schedule of UFC 190 and am disappointed.

Rousey will destroy Bethe (Who mysteriously went up the BM ranks just before the fight [nothing new there Dana])

The Nog's will both lose IMO, and bouts like Bruno v Franca uninteresting.

In fact, the entire card is built on Ronda, and the rest of the fights just fillers.

Even from an objective POV, 189 was outstanding, with a crazy main card and a heap load of highlight reels. It is sad that the next showcase event is this.

The rankings are media based no input by Dana whatsoever.

The other poster is correct 189 can't be compared which was based around international fight week compare it more to the can't recall number but Aldo Mendes the last PPV in Brazil this as dull as it looks is times better than that.

Also who's to say there won't be highlight reel finishes here when it hasn't happened yet especially considering there is a number of bouts in the heavier weight classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Has anyone seen the amount of signed memorabilia for sale on the UFC store, i'm in total shock!!

http://www.ufcstore.com/MMA_Collectibles/pg/1/ps/96/so/highest_price

Gunni's name plate that was used on his locker at UFC 189 - $149:99

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

5 grand for a poster. Added it to the basket and saw delivery was 30 quid, feck that they just lost out on a sale...

jesus insane money for some stuff there by some not so big names

• Advertisement

Ariel tweeted he read Mazzagatti is reffing the Shields Palhares fight. Jaysus could be a Nasty result in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ariel tweeted he read Mazzagatti is reffing the Shields Palhares fight. Jaysus could be a Nasty result in that one.

man shields might actually die in this fight he should retire as it is ...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What strikes me as odd if the name plates, it says FEW LEFT, how many fcukin lockers did they put these name plates on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

$1.5k for autographed Derek Brunson fight-worn gloves.

That's probably more than he made for his last fight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Shields will be sent to the hospital and put in a wheelchair before mazzagati calls the fight off haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ASOT wrote: »
    Shields will be sent to the hospital and put in a wheelchair before mazzagati calls the fight off haha

His medical suspension will be up by the time Mazzagatti sees the tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

martyos121 wrote: »
    His medical suspension will be up by the time Mazzagatti sees the tap.

i think mazzagati will stop it perfectly.....for his sons fight in 18 years time now lets get it on come on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He's been training leg lock defense with Dean Lister as well . If he can embrace the leg lock like Alan Belcher seemed to do when he fought Palhares in the UFC then Shields has a chance.

Could be a horrible fight to watch if it goes five esp if palhares doesnt manage to take some part of jakes leg with him which is very likely when jake has never been subbed
    both will be gassed by three and the championship rounds will probably be in slow mo which makes it a 50/50 fight in my eyes although jake has gone five so maybe theres an advantage there

its a hard one to call

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Haven't seen the result,
    but I'm not overly surprised by the news reports I'm reading.

Palhares should never be allowed inside the cage. Any cage. Unless he's in an orange jumpsuit.

Edit, spoilers added.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Haven't
    seen the result, but I'm not overly surprised by the news reports I'm reading.

Palhares should never be allowed inside the cage. Any cage. Unless he's in an orange jumpsuit.
    Finish gif

https://gfycat.com/ifrt/BlackandwhiteKnobbyChicken

Apparently Ray Sefo had him well warned about his behaviour before signing him. I wonder who'll get in more trouble. Palhares for yet another late release or Shields for throwing a punch after the stoppage.

Any gifs of the alleged eye gouging?

Just added spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen the fight.

Mellor could you edit the quote of my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just added spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen the fight.

Mellor could you edit the quote of my post?

Done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Strange one. A nice bit of money involved for all concerned I'm sure though, fair play to them. Seems a great opportunity for the likes of Gallagher and Mlambo too.

http://www.the42.ie/kavanagh-nurmagomedov-bahrain-team-2249318-Aug2015/?utm_source=shortlink
    JOHN KAVANAGH IS to play a key role in the establishment of a new mixed martial arts team, which will be financially supported by the fifth son of the King of Bahrain.

Kavanagh, who is head coach to Conor McGregor, Gunnar Nelson and several more UFC stars at Dublin’s Straight Blast Gym, has been contacted by representatives of Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa with a view to getting involved with KHK MMA.

The new team will aim to bring together a host of top fighters from around the world, varying from up-and-coming prospects to established professionals competing in leading organisations such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

They have already secured the services of UFC lightweights Khabib Nurmagomedov and Islam Makhachev, while two of Ireland’s most promising young fighters will also be part of the team.

James Gallagher and Frans Mlambo, both of whom lit up the recent IMMAF Amateur World Championships in Las Vegas, will continue their development as part of KHK MMA while remaining under John Kavanagh’s stewardship. Kavanagh says he will also contribute with regular seminars and training camps.

“This is a very exciting development for MMA and it offers a unique opportunity for these fighters. It’s something I’m privileged to be involved in and I think the potential here is enormous,” Kavanagh told The42.

“The people behind this venture are clearly passionate about the sport and I’ve been very impressed by their enthusiasm. This will give young fighters, such as James and Frans, the ability to achieve their goal of reaching the top without having to cope with financial concerns.”

Former UFC fighter Alex Soto will also be part of the team, along with Russian prospect Eldar Eldarov, top US amateur Jose Torres and Bahraini duo Hamza Kooheji and Mohammed Shahid.

No further details have been disclosed thus far but a press conference is expected to take place in Bahrain on Saturday, 15 August, when more information will be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Paully D wrote: »
    Strange one. A nice bit of money involved for all concerned I'm sure though, fair play to them. Seems a great opportunity for the likes of Gallagher and Mlambo too.

http://www.the42.ie/kavanagh-nurmagomedov-bahrain-team-2249318-Aug2015/?utm_source=shortlink

JK answers phone, person on other end says, "Hi I'm Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa the 5th son of the king of Bahrain." :D:D

That's very weird, could be class but very strange. JK must have thought it was a prank when the 5th son of the king of Bahrain called him up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

What will this team be doing and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Coz owning racehorses is sooooo mainstream these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The entire team will be built around Pendred

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Didn't UFC have some deal with them as well, some special event the night the night Anderson fought Maia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The main thing swirling around in my head after reading that article is The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase's entrance music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dulux99 wrote: »
    The main thing swirling around in my head after reading that article is The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase's entrance music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

So it's basically going to be a bigger version of blackzillians

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement