Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Would love to see closer gaps instead of 15/20 gaps the chances of more "superfights"

Id hate it on another because one the reason i hate boxing for its weight class drives me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure most would agree.
    Obviously I'm from a boxing background so I've grown up with numerous weight classes. To give one example I feel the 20lbs jump between 185 and 205 is one that could be split and maybe a look at the 15 splits between 170/185 and 155/170.
    Read a great article proposing 195 a few years back and it's one I'd defo support.
    I would love to see more chances for guys to emulate Penn/Couture and become multiple weight champions as well as the potential of more big title match ups and contender eliminators but each to their own and I'm sure most would agree with your viewpoint.

boxing weeight cutting is massively different from mma and iirc in boxing boxers usually have to step in the ring within a certain weight also?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

boxing weeight cutting is massively different from mma and iirc in boxing boxers usually have to step in the ring within a certain weight also?

Yep fighting within a certain weight indeed. Mayweatger recently at 147 for example whilst also holding belts at 154. It's just as was mentioned above id lobe the potential for more superfights which closer weight divisions could bring.
    Obviously there is a danger of saturation which boxing may have now; very small gaps between some weight classes. For me 10lb jumps are perfect and I love the layout of the mma 125/135/145/155 weight classes. Personally have always felt the jump then to 170 could be slightly narrowed but as I said I'm probably in the minority in my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The lower the weight classes the bigger % 10pounds makes, at the heavier weights the gaps need to be bigger. I think they are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MMATycoon

I'd absolutely hate there to be more weight classes. They're already thin enough as they are at the extreme weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Vitor vs Hendo announced for Fight Night card in Brazil in November, wish we had that for Dublin, makes me angry

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good intentions behind more weight classes, but the ones you suggest will only thin out MW, LHW and HW further.

If you want to even it out, then split WW into 165 and 175 SuperWW (or light MW), leave the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

No limit on heavy weights, I wanna see a 350 pound Stefan Struve

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eazyc22

any one cath the khabib diaz scrap?

JJayoo wrote: »
    No limit on heavy weights, I wanna see a 350 pound Stefan Struve

isd82cc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Think the divisions are grand, the lighter heavyweights use their quickness or quicky stick on a few pounds. What did struve weigh in at last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

think he was just under the limit, was talking on embedded about having to cut ten pounds or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

@arielhelwani: Sefo just announced that Palhares has been stripped of his belt and suspended indefinitely. http://t.co/ltcipwwDta

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/628615246652026880

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

@arielhelwani: Sefo just announced that Palhares has been stripped of his belt and suspended indefinitely. http://t.co/ltcipwwDta

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/628615246652026880

I'd say Sefo is absolutely sickened. Palhares is a knob but he's an excellent fighter. The whole thing about him holding on to the kimura has completely overshadowed what should be an amazing win, submitting Jake Shields is a very impressive feat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And rightly so. He's an absolute danger to anyone he faces. Such a shame, waste of a talent.

Looks to be a good show today on mma hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mir vs Arlovski set for UFC 191. Nice.

Matt Brown vs Kevin Gastelum headlines in November. Also a great looking fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

:pac::pac::pac:

09b7e25084c0de65529b1a27ab4da9b2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

09b7e25084c0de65529b1a27ab4da9b2.png

Seen that myself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ASOT wrote: »
    Seen that myself haha

What's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's that all about?

They meant to say George Groves lol.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's that all about?

They were suppose to tag George Groves in the tweet but tagged GSP twitter went into meltdown for a minute.

Also news wise Jury has changed camp and dropped down to FW looking forward to his debut!

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'd say Sefo is absolutely sickened. Palhares is a knob but he's an excellent fighter. The whole thing about him holding on to the kimura has completely overshadowed what should be an amazing win, submitting Jake Shields is a very impressive feat

He was dominated on the ground until the eye gouging

Kelvin Gastelum v Matt Brown headlines Fight Night 79 (November) in Mexico. Gastelum got his wish of being allowed to drop back down to 170. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the weight cut again after numerous problems in the past.

Kelvin Gastelum v Matt Brown headlines Fight Night 79 (November) in Mexico. Gastelum got his wish of being allowed to drop back down to 170. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the weight cut again after numerous problems in the past.

I like kelvin a lot but he is to pudgy for welter. Unless he begs Dolce to work with him again he's screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

ASOT wrote: »
    I like kelvin a lot but he is to pudgy for welter. Unless he begs Dolce to work with him again he's screwed.

God help him if he misses weight again though, I'd say dana will run out of patience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Discipline around food for many fighters this is the toughest aspect of training, and where they fall down.

Sometimes changing eating habits of a lifetime can more difficult than getting up and going to the gym.

He comes from a Mexican family so I am sure he is surrounded by all kinds of incredible food all the time.

Lamas v Diego Sanchez also announced for the Mexico card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

At FW I'm assuming??

Wow so Diego really is going to try and have a go at 145!!!! He's an animal buts he's totally nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Seems outrageous to give him Lamas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement