Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

martyos121 wrote: »
    That 191 card is well and truly stacked, but that's probably because DJ as a headliner doesn't draw well at all, so they needed a quality supporting cast.

DJ is a top 3 P4P fighter, but he is a black hole of charisma and does absolutely nothing to promote his fights, so to have him on a weak card would be awful business. Just look at UFC 186's pathetic buyrate, and the arena didn't even sell out.

Its such a pity aswel cause his fights are great to watch, still if it produces cards like this i wont complain, looking forward to Arlovski-Mir in a big way!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Depp wrote: »
    Its such a pity aswel cause his fights are great to watch, still if it produces cards like this i wont complain, looking forward to Arlovski-Mir in a big way!

Yeah it isn't a card to bring new fans in like 189 or even 190 (the Ronda factor) but it's a great service to the die-hard fans. Also hope Arlovski gets the win, would be a great story to see him make one last run for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just found out John Michael Sheil is fighting tomorrow. Hadn't heard his name in ages. Anyone know why he was out for so long? All I could find out was he pulled from a fight due to injury in 2012

Didnt fight, at least it isnt updated on his sherdog fight record?.
    Where was he meant to have been fighting?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

califano wrote: »

Sherdog can sometimes take a few days or even weeks to update results from regional events. Its all to do with verification procedures.

Someone told me about a year back that Sheil had packed in fighting and was coaching now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tried to post this in the event thread but it is locked, but UFC 189 is now on Fight Pass for those interested. What a night that was. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Sherdog can sometimes take a few days or even weeks to update results from regional events. Its all to do with verification procedures.

Someone told me about a year back that Sheil had packed in fighting and was coaching now.

True. Would still like to know where he was supposed to be fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

True. Would still like to know where he was supposed to be fighting.

Cage Kings in tallaght on Saturday.
    It won't appear on his sherdog record as it was maybe K1/Muay Thai rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pendred and CM Punk having a right old barney on Twitter this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Yeah what's going on?..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Yeah what's going on?..

Pendred wins in Dub, Punk wants an opponent for the NYE (jan 2nd ) card, they're just making beef so the fight happens

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Pendred wins in Dub, Punk wants an opponent for the NYE (jan 2nd ) card, they're just making beef so the fight happens

I strongly doubt either one of them believes they could possibly be matched up for punk's debut. UFC matchmakers would be negligent to throw him in against. Pendred.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Read through it there, some painful stuff altogether. Some good ones from randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not very smart from CM Punk, who on earth would want to fight the GOAT in their first pro fight?

You start at the bottom Punk, not the pinnacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There is zero chance Pendred fights CM Punk.

Pendred is 17-3-1 (4-1 in the UFC)
    CM Punk is 0-0

Any commission that would allow that would be being extremely negligent.
    Anyone who thinks that fight happens is any idiot. Pendred would fold him up like a wrestling chair he's been hit with so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Fromvert wrote: »
    There is zero chance Pendred fights CM Punk.

Pendred is 17-3-1 (4-1 in the UFC)
    CM Punk is 0-0

Any commission that would allow that would be being extremely negligent.
    Anyone who thinks that fight happens is any idiot. Pendred would fold him up like a wrestling chair he's been hit with so many times.

To be fair tho Pendred is a bit ****... I'll be quiet now....he is tho.... ;_)

Ps. I agree though in fairness not a hope of it happening, plus I was being humorous( I'm not sure if I spelt that right, it looks misspelled somehow) about pendred, not fighter bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

TBH I've just had a look. Don't know what every bodies view is here but I can't help but think Pendred is coming off as a bit of a tool and a total try hard.

Punk has burned him so so subtlety. Telling him he is meant to put his opponent to sleep and not the audience. The line that'd he'd be better off calling out a top 10 as we'll make CP look a bit lame.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    TBH I've just had a look. Don't know what every bodies view is here but I can't help but think Pendred is coming off as a bit of a tool and a total try hard.

Punk has burned him so so subtlety. Telling him he is meant to put his opponent to sleep and not the audience. The line that'd he'd be better off calling out a top 10 as we'll make CP look a bit lame.

Let me guess; youre a wrestling/CM Punk fan??

If anything, i think pendred got the better of the exchange. But as an MMA/Pendred fan, i would say that i guess!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

jcd5971 wrote: »
    To be fair tho Pendred is a bit ****... I'll be quiet now....he is tho.... ;_)

Ps. I agree though in fairness not a hope of it happening, plus I was being humorous( I'm not sure if I spelt that right, it looks misspelled somehow) about pendred, not fighter bashing.

Oh I won't be making any arguments that Pendred is at the top end of the division but he's probably floating around the top 30 or so. But he's a credentialed MMA fighter.

CM Punk is 36, has no athletic accomplishments, has no credible background in martial arts, has been concussed more times than we can count, his body has been abused for 20 years or however long he was doing pro wrestling and he took up MMA less than a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Josh Thompson just signed for Bellator!

Cowboy has came out and said he isn't going to wait for RDA.

he tweeted: "I will not wait that long. Need something soon or I'm going to 170". That man is a facking warrior, wonder who he might fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

he tweeted: "I will not wait that long. Need something soon or I'm going to 170". That man is a facking warrior, wonder who he might fight.

Nobody, and Cowboy knows full well he won't be fighting at 170 or anywhere else until he fights RDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

To be honest I have a feeling he needs the money. He has said in the past that he was very bad with managing it and owed money in taxes.

He only recently got an accountant but previously was spending all his money as it came in, but not keeping any aside to pay his tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

ShagNastii wrote: »

Agreed. Pendred a complete tool in that exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And now Tyron Woodley in there too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nice try, Anderson :rolleyes:

6 months and that's what they come up with :pac:

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/8/12/9137017/pdf-lawyer-sex-pills-responsible-for-anderson-silvas-ufc-183-drug-test-results-mma
    Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva will appear before Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) on Thursday (Aug. 13, 2015) to answer for a couple of failed drug tests that marred his comeback win over Nick Diaz.

Diaz was also expected to appear, but pulled out at the last minute (because of this).

Silva was popped for steroids in the wake of the UFC 183 pay-per-view (PPV) event, which took place all the way back in January. "The Spider" -- who also failed for oxazepam and temazepam -- has been working with his attorneys over the past six months to mount a credible defense.

MMA Fighting has the long and short of it:

Silva's lawyer Michael Alonso writes in the answer that Silva was "administering or using a supplement for the purpose of enhancing sexual performance and testing of the supplement revealed that the supplement was contaminated with an Exogenous Anabolic Agent: Drostanolone metabolite."

Alonso also wrote that another supplement Silva was taking could have contained androstane.

What a dick move.

At this point, it's difficult to make sense of anything that transpired since January. There was a time when Silva was expected to confess to using banned substances to assist in the recovery of his broken leg, as well as taking anti-anxiety meds to help calm his nerves.

Then he flat-out denied using anything (probably based on this) and asked for another UFC fight.

It will be interesting to see what happens once the Brazilian -- who made "Sin City" quite a bit of coin over the years -- gets in front of the commission. Until then, you can read his legal defense in the embedded PDF below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Man, I really wish he just came out and put his hands up. I am a huge and and always will be.

He would have gotten a shorter ban for a first time offence and would probably be able to fight again soon.

Now its 6 months later and there is a good chance the commission will come down harder on him with this explanation.

To believe all of a sudden these long time peak performance athletes starting taking supplements they never bothered to check is pretty insulting to stay the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Man, I really wish he just came out and put his hands up.

He wants to but he's unable to get them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He wants to but he's unable to get them up!
    Is that a double pun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

its a pretty lame excuse, should have got his wife to say she was slipping it into his breakfast smoothies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

The instagram page of the rich prince fella out in Bahrain that's starting the MMA team with Kavanagh involved, sparring with Khabib & good luck vids from GSP, BJ Penn & Luke Rockhold

https://instagram.com/khaled_hamad_alkhalifa/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement