Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Two sides to every story and all that, but interesting from Cung Le:

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/8/21/9189959/former-ufc-fighter-accuses-dana-white-and-lorenzo-fertitta-of-forcing
    Retired mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Cung Le ended his career on a sour note, testing positive for elevated levels of human growth hormone in a drug test overseen by the UFC following his bout against Michael Bisping on Aug. 23, 2014 in Macau.

But the way he tells the story, Le seems to think that unpleasantness was entirely the fault of UFC president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

Speaking with Nate Quarry on his "Round X Round" podcast, the Vietnamese-American fighter said UFC repeatedly forced him into situations where he had to fight injured and then "botched" a drug test he didn't really fail.

In 2012, following his bout against Patrick Cote at UFC 148, Le says his foot was so badly injured he was forced to move about in a "walking boot." He reportedly ran into Dana White at UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman, where he told him he couldn't fight in Macau.

White, apparently, wasn't listening: [transcribed by MMAfighting.com]

"Two weeks after that Dan Henderson fought Lyoto Machida[sic]. I was in Los Angeles and they told me to meet them after the fight. I told them the doctor still hadn't cleared me. 'Hasn't cleared you? You've got to step up for the company.' I told them I couldn't get the doctor to give me a notice. I don't think they can do that. I told them hopefully I would be cleared in a week. Dana says, 'OK. You've got to let me know right away.' That night I'm driving and my phone blows up. Dana had announced my fight with Rich Franklin in Macau."

Le, 43, also complained that his gig as a host on "The Ultimate Fighter: China" earned him less than "a tenth" what he would have earned in the form of a fight purse.

When Le returned to the Octagon in Macau against Bisping following a two year absence and popped for human growth hormone, he claims UFC pressured him into admission of guilt for using PEDs. This was despite the fact that Dr. Don Catlin, an expert in performance enhancing drugs, suggested Le's HGH levels were lower than the expected post-exercise reference range for an athlete delivering a sample after strenuous activity.

"Dana called me and tells me if I just admit it, it'll be easier. The public would forgive me more. 'Look at the pitcher from the New York Giants[sic], he got busted for something.' Dana was saying it's easier just to admit it. I just didn't want to talk to him anymore. Had to hang up. He might as well have just sent some thugs to my house to strong-arm me or something. It's just ridiculous. Sometimes you get the s**t end of the stick and they just happen to be the s**t."

Harsh.

But to add some context to this whole thing, both Le and Quarry, along with Jon Fitch, are plaintiffs in a class-action antitrust lawsuit against Zuffa, accusing the UFC parent company of violating the Sherman Antitrust Act.

The suit accuses the company of illegally maintaining monopoly and monopsony power by "systematically eliminating competition from rival promoters, artificially suppressing fighters' earnings from bouts and merchandising and marketing activities through restrictive contracting and other exclusionary practices."

Despite this, when Le officially announced his retirement from the sport earlier this year in January, Lorenzo Fertitta issued a statement praising him as "one of the most exciting middleweights to step foot in the Octagon" and wishing him the best in his future endeavours.

No word yet on what he thinks about Le's words on Quarry's podcast.

Cro-Cop fights in Seoul in November. No opponent announced yet but Mitrione has been angling for it so it could be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »

Le makes out that his failed test was entirely false. When that's not the case at all really. He had elevated growth hormone levels. That's a fact. Just because the lab didn't test to see if they were exogenous, doesn't mean they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It certainly raises eyebrows when an athlete in his 40s in suddenly ripped and is much better shape than he has been in his entire career. Maybe he was just a late bloomer.

It certainly raises eyebrows when an athlete in his 40s in suddenly ripped and in much better shape than he has been in his entire career. Maybe he was just a late bloomer.
    Exactly, any one random part might is maybe possible, but there's so many little elements back to back here, that a situation where he is clean is less and less possible.

40 years old.
    Better shape of his life.
    Posts a picture looking ripped.
    HGH levels through the roof.
    "The fight" spiked his levels, yet the other 4 or 5 fighters tested that night had no issue.

Cung was given a get out of jail card. He should of moved on instead of dragging it out like for ages like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cro-Cop fights in Seoul in November. No opponent announced yet but Mitrione has been angling for it so it could be him.

Mitrione angling for sole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

JDS v Overeem set for UFC Orlando finally, shaping up to be a great card that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

A Brazilian website just broke the news that Mendes v Edgar will headline TUF Finale, Twitter just lit up but waiting on better sources

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lancenet.com.br%2Flutas%2FChad-Mendes-Edgar-Aldo-McGregor_0_1418858300.html&edit-text=

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

They're just piggybacking the Brazilian site
    In a week of big fight announcements, another huge match-up came to light today as Brazilian outlet lancenet are reporting that featherweight contenders Frankie Edgar and Chad Mendes will meet at “The Ultimate Fighter” season 22 finale on December 11th in a Las Vegas venue yet to be announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pulse8 wrote: »
    They're just piggybacking the Brazilian site

But that's the way the whole scene works, 1 site breaks the news then the others follow, fair play to severe for acknowledging the brazilian site, a lot wouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally! Fight should have been made ages ago. Both lads agreed, just waiting on UFC to sign off on it. Winner to get title shot. Ideally for me, Conor and Frankie will finally meet early 2016.

In other news, Aldo has apologised for his negative comments about the IV Ban :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Will tickets for the TUF finale be managable on the day? I'll be there anyway for 194

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Will tickets for the TUF finale be managable on the day? I'll be there anyway for 194

If it's in the mgm then definitely.

I hate the ufc's new poster designs are terrible. Literally all the posters now look the exact same. Between the indistinguishable Reebok shorts and the bland generic designs for posters, it's as if they're trying to squash all individualism.

One thing I really liked about being in Vegas for 189 was seeing the fight poster everywhere, so it's a shame that they're just bland pictures of the fighters with the exact same backdrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Edgar-Mendes is a great fight! Very evenly matched but I'll go for Mendes.

Either winner sets up a great title fight against Aldo or hopefully Conor in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Edgar vs Mendes - good fight.

It's on Dec 11th, would I be right in thinking should Aldo pull out, then the match is off and one of the two step up to fight McGregor on the 12th?

Naos wrote: »

It's on Dec 11th, would I be right in thinking should Aldo pull out, then the match is off and one of the two step up to fight McGregor on the 12th?

Yeah, I'd assume Frankie. He requested a fight at 194, is assume for the Dane reason.

Lol, rampage just posted this
    xEsszcJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Naos wrote: »

That's exactly it, it's a great insurance policy. Also will be no arguments if one fills in for Aldo, because they'll have a full training camp under their belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Edgar-Mendes is a great fight! Very evenly matched but I'll go for Mendes.

Either winner sets up a great title fight against Aldo or hopefully Conor in future.

I literally cannot wait for this fight. What a match up! Edgar one of my favs so hoping he comes through.
    Edgar Aldo 2 and Edgar McGregor both excite me so promising 2016 ahead at 145.

• Advertisement

Jordan Mein retired today at 25, very surprising but I didn't realise he has 39 per fights, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Pity in one way because he was a big talent. I wonder if pay was different would he have left, same goes for Perez.

Pity in one way because he was a big talent. I wonder if pay was different would he have left, same goes for Perez.

Perez said it wasn't about the money, even after winning the bonus he didn't care. Seems to be fairly set anyway with djing and his family business! Meins was a but note surprising hasn't commented on it yet so will be interesting to see what he says!

Schaub calling out Rousey for her comments on Floyd Mayweather while dating Travis Browne:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/28/9219045/schaub-ronda-rousey-you-hate-on-floyd-mayweather-ufc-news

Despite the fact many will say he's a jealous ex, he makes a very fair point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He's got no reason to be jealous, his new girlfriend is smokin! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Schaub calling out Rousey for her comments on Floyd Mayweather while dating Travis Browne:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/28/9219045/schaub-ronda-rousey-you-hate-on-floyd-mayweather-ufc-news

Despite the fact many will say he's a jealous ex, he makes a very fair point.
    He's got no reason to be jealous, his new girlfriend is smokin! :pac:

Alll due respect to Rousey and Schaubs lady friend, but they both look like bag-ladies next to Travis Browne's wife.

Few articles floating around with her outlining the claims of DV against Browne and how he's shacked up with Ronda now. UFC are taking her claims seriously aswell it seems as he has been sidelined for the forseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

John_D80 wrote: »
    Alll due respect to Rousey and Schaubs lady friend, but they both look like bag-ladies next to Travis Browne's wife

Just had me a look, and yes, you are correct

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

John_D80 wrote: »
    Alll due respect to Rousey and Schaubs lady friend, but they both look like bag-ladies next to Travis Browne's wife.

Few articles floating around with her outlining the claims of DV against Browne and how he's shacked up with Ronda now. UFC are taking her claims seriously aswell it seems as he has been sidelined for the forseeable.

I remember watching some random interview with Dana on Youtube and he mentioned that they do take this stuff seriously and employ a third party investigation team/company to look into the situation for them at the same time as removing the fighter from the roster.

His point was that in DV cases it can get messy and sometimes one party makes stuff up to discredit the other party, that's why they get the third party investigation team in to examine the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dana recently refused interview with hbo about dv in contact sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Robbie inured and out of the condit fight. Ronda holm moved to ufc melbourne.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement