Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gunni vs Demian Maia added to the December 12th card.

Massive fight for Gunni fighting someone inside the Top 10 and a genuine "big name" of the division.

I'd say it will be pretty cool for him too as being a BJJ guy I'm sure, like everyone else, he has watched a LOT of Maia while he was starting out.

Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

Gunni vs Demian Maia added to the December 12th card.

Massive fight for Gunni fighting someone inside the Top 10 and a genuine "big name" of the division.

I'd say it will be pretty cool for him too as being a BJJ guy I'm sure, like everyone else, he has watched a LOT of Maia while he was starting out.

Really looking forward to this.

Another reason to be envious of anyone over in Vegas for that.
    Big fan of Gunni and if he beats Maia it will be a great push for him as he seemed to spend quite a while on the outskirts despite his record. Then again the WW division is fairly stacked and is the title is a hot potato right since GSP left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Another reason to be envious of anyone over in Vegas for that.
    Big fan of Gunni and if he beats Maia it will be a great push for him as he seemed to spend quite a while on the outskirts despite his record. Then again the WW division is fairly stacked and is the title is a hot potato right since GSP left.

How do people think this fight will pan out? Will there ground game cancel each other out? So it will end up a stand up fight?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Maia is a better grappler than Gunni, they dont cancel each other out on the ground imo. Gunni is a better all round fighter and has better stand up but will probably want to try grind Maia down since hes 37. Maia will find it hard to deal with Gunni the longer the fight goes on. Lets not forget Gunni lost to Story and Maia pretty much tore his head off so this is no easy fight for Gunni either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Girlfriend sending me to UFC 193 for my birthday, :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Girlfriend sending me to UFC 193 for my birthday, :D:D

"Now its your turn to buy a ring"

TJ Dillishaw v Cruz set for Janurary

https://twitter.com/UFCTonight/status/641775286271381504

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Mellor wrote: »

Seen that, Pettis/Alvarez too. Fingers crossed Cruz and Pettis stay healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sean Shelby and Joe Silva definitely had a little giggle to themselves when making this matchup!

bang-kuntz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just rewarding Khabib Nurmagomedov fight v Dos Anjos. Wonder would UFC give him title shot when he beats Tony Ferguson or give him a contender fight like Pettis.

I see him fight Conor at some stage next couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Just rewarding Khabib Nurmagomedov fight v Dos Anjos. Wonder would UFC give him title shot when he beats Tony Ferguson or give him a contender fight like Pettis.

I see him fight Conor at some stage next couple of years

If there's one guy in the entire promotion they would keep away from Conor, it's Khabib. He would rag-doll him for five full rounds and embarrass him. If Mendes could take Conor down a good few times in two rounds, imagine what Khabib could do to him.

As long as Conor is lining the Fertita's pockets, Khabib won't get anywhere near him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

They might have no option but to let him fight him, He has already beaten the champ he could be the 155 champ by the time McGregor gets a 155 shot

UFC 193 tickets in the bag.

I'll have seen 4 title fights live this year, can't complain with that

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BearsyBoo

Anyone got a pre-sale code for 193 they can share? Ill buy owe you a beer :D:D

wardy32 wrote: »
    Anyone got a pre-sale code for 193 they can share? Ill buy owe you a beer :D:D

Sorry, I'd give you mine but I ended up taking all 6 tickets.
    If i hear a code I'll post it here

Cheers Dude, I'm registered for the mailing list pre-sale Wednesday so hopefully will get some, for some reason I cant see it being a sell out!!

wardy32 wrote: »
    Cheers Dude, I'm registered for the mailing list pre-sale Wednesday so hopefully will get some, for some reason I cant see it being a sell out!!

It won't sell out fast with the amount of seats but it will prob sell out.

UFC 110 sold 20k in sydney 4 years ago in an hour.
    Melbourne has never had an event, the so called sporting capital, its a double title fight plus the Ronda factor. I will do 70k seats

well when you put it like that haha should be a good event either way :) haven't been to a UFC since the first one in Dublin a few years ago so really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Brad Pickett setting up his own mma organisation in the UK Rise of Champions where he's hoping to get amateurs and pro's ready to go onto bigger stages like the UFC where it will be more "looking after fighters with better matchmaking instead of ring girls and fellas getting drunk"

Best of luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Brad Pickett setting up his own mma organisation in the UK Rise of Champions where he's hoping to get amateurs and pro's ready to go onto bigger stages like the UFC where it will be more "looking after fighters with better matchmaking instead of ring girls and fellas getting drunk"

Best of luck to him!

Heard him on the MMA Hour talking about it. Seems like a genuinely good dude and really hope he does well. Although I reckon the only way this will ever really do well is if he signs some sort of feeder agreement with the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Nick Diaz suspended for 5 years for marijuana. Crazy decision considering the punishments other fighters have got for other substances which would be deemed worse.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/9/14/9325745/nick-diaz-fined-165000-suspended-five-years-by-nsac-for-ufc-183-positive-drug-mma

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Complete bull****!! They were trying to give him a lifetime ban, mental altogether. That's most likely his career over, sickner!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

FFS that's crazy. No doubt such a stupid ban will be over turned in an appeal. Jesus Christ if you were seen taking steroids on camera before you walked into the cage you wouldn't get a 5 year ban

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jon Jones does powder and gets time off for rehab, kept his belt and nothing more was made of it.

But when Diaz does a bit of smoke, well, it's hardly surprising is it....:rolleyes:

That is one fcuked up system they have in Nevada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Its his third time getting popped for the same thing. Athletic commissions hands were tied. They had to come down hard on him. Appeal might see it reduced to three years maybe but I doubt it.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Jon Jones does powder and gets time off for rehab, kept his belt and nothing more was made of it.

But when Diaz does a bit of smoke, well, it's hardly surprising is it....:rolleyes:

There are so many massively differing factors between Jones & Diaz' cases in fairness. The two cases can barely be compared. Not least for the fact that Jones was out of competition at the time he tested positive. Diaz tested positive in his post fight test. For the third time.

Axwell wrote: »
    Nick Diaz suspended for 5 years for marijuana. Crazy decision considering the punishments other fighters have got for other substances which would be deemed worse.
    The issue is that the banned list doesn't stipulate which substances, for a legislation point of view, getting popped for weed 3 times, is the same as getting popped for steroids.

If also doesn't help that he goes into the hearing and refuses to co-operate.

If he has a prescription, then he should have arranged a TUE in advance, not when he knew he wasn't clean in advance.
    martyos121 wrote: »

Jones didn't break any of the NSAC or WADA rules.

If he does coke between fights, its basically none of their business for a legislation point of view.
    John_D80 wrote: »
    There are so many massively differing factors between Jones & Diaz' cases in fairness. The two cases can barely be compared. Not least for the fact that Jones was out of competition at the time he tested positive. Diaz tested positive in his post fight test. For the third time.
    ^ exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nsac are a joke. They tried to ban him for life because he plead the fifth and let his lawyer argue his case. This is going to be a Tom Brady case and be appealed in a real court. This gets overturned by a real judgejudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's a great message being sent by the NSAC. Steroids will get a tap on the wrist compared to some weed. Some joke and no doubt it will be successfully appealed in court if needs be.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's a great message being sent by the NSAC. Steroids will get a tap on the wrist compared to some weed. Some joke and no doubt it will be successfully appealed in court if needs be.

Whats so difficult to understand about this ruling really? Diaz got caught taking a performance enhancing substance, THREE TIMES. Its absolutely not the same as a guy getting caught for steroids for the first time. People can go on all they want and say things like 'but its just a little weed'. Bollocks to that, its a performance enhancing substance. Just because its not a 'steroid' doesn't make it any less against the rules. The commissions don't differentiate between, or grade, the different types of PED's, yet afaik. Although I do believe there will be a tiered punishment system implemented in the future.

He knew the risk he was taking and, even worse he knew well in advance thta he was probably going to be tested. I'll miss him but lets be real, he played with fire big time here and he got burned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement