Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Devastator wrote: »
    Shogun V Hendo to headline 139

Ah ****e, 2 of my fav fighters :mad::mad:

Should be a good fight. LHW title eliminator?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

normally it would have been, but with rashad next in line, they will probably have to fight once more to get a title shot

should be a great fight anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pauldoo wrote: »
    normally it would have been, but with rashad next in line, they will probably have to fight once more to get a title shot

should be a great fight anyway
    Well, the Jones v Rampage is on before that. So Evans v Jones/Rampage will already be booked.
    So there's no reason that Shogun v Hendo can be a title eliminator for a shot verses the winner.
    In the past, there have been fights where it was a guaranteed eliminator for one fighter only. Eg if Hendo wins he fights the winner of Evans v Jones/Rampage, if Shogun wins he stays in contention but muct win one more time as he only had one win since his lost and his 3 previous were LHW title shots.
    Maybe, Hendo gets a title shot, Shogun gets a Machida Rubber Match and the winner gets a title shot. they sets up lots of great title shots.

Shogun/Jones rematch
    Shogun/Rampage rematch
    Machida/Rampage rematch
    Machida/Evans rematch
    Machida/Jones match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Vitor Belfort is out and Wanderlei Silva is in against Cung Le:
    An injury has forced Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC) out of November's UFC 139 event, and fellow middleweight Wanderlei Silva (31-11-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) has stepped in to fight Cung Le (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

UFC president Dana White today announced the change via Twitter.

The nature of Belfort's injury was not disclosed.
    Link

I'm actually not that disappointed by this one, I'm glad to see Wand get another chance to fight, as I thought he would never feature in UFC again. As for Belfort, I didn't really see the point in this fight for him, as it wasn't against a highly ranked opponent, and probably would have done little to bring him closer to another title match. I'd much rather he takes his time out for recovery (hope the injury isn't serious) and returns to fight a top 5-10 opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I'm not disappointed in this either, I think this is a much better matchup.

I was a bit worried that Belfort would just demolish Le, not really giving Le a chance to find his feet in the UFC. I thought it was too soon to write Silva off as well. Not that he's going to win the title but he did beat Bisping not very long ago.

Definitely excited for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Big loss for Joe Warren last night. Didn't see the fight but fairplay to Alexis Villa. Interesting to see when they;ll make Warren Vs Curran. Be a good test for Curran against the best wrestler he's probably faced but I still reckon he'll destroy him.

http://mmamayhem.com/news.php?extend.3439

Aoki Vs McCullough link, Schivello is just so good to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Xlami wrote: »
    Big loss for Joe Warren last night. Didn't see the fight but fairplay to Alexis Villa. Interesting to see when they;ll make Warren Vs Curran. Be a good test for Curran against the best wrestler he's probably faced but I still reckon he'll destroy him.

Full fight in link below, huge KO!

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5953:frate-trane-derailed-alexis-vila-knocks-joe-warren-out-cold&catid=34:organizations

• Advertisement

Thanks, also when I watched the Aoki fight it looked like 20 seconds left on the clock when it disappeared and then about 25 seconds later when he tapped. Anyone notice that or heard anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xlami wrote: »
    Thanks, also when I watched the Aoki fight it looked like 20 seconds left on the clock when it disappeared and then about 25 seconds later when he tapped. Anyone notice that or heard anything similar?

The clock on the screen is only there for reference, it's the timekeepers clock that matters. THe screen clock is often a few seconds plus or minus (the reason why it fades before counting to zero)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Looks like Rashad Evans may have to wait a little bit longer for his shot at Jones. Jon Jones may be out for up to 6 months.
    I feel sorry for him at this stage, its almost like he's never gonna get a title shot!
    Full list of suspensions below:
    Twelve UFC 135 participants have been medically suspended following their efforts at last weekend’s “Jones vs. Rampage” event including the light-heavyweight champion who could be out up to six-months for injuries suffered during the night’s main event.
    “UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage” took place last Saturday, September 24 live on pay-per-view from Denver’s Pepsi Center. The card featured a light-heavyweight title fight in its main event between champion, Jon Jones and challenger “Rampage” Jackson in the champs first ever title defense. The bout ended in the fourth round with Jones securing a submission to retain his title.
    Next up for the champion is long-time number one contender, Rashad Evans whose aspirations to regain his title originally lost at the hands of Lyoto Machida have been sidelined month after month and year after year due to injuries to both himself and his opponents.
    After originally being scheduled to face Jones, he was leap frogged yet again when Jones was forced to withdraw from the scheduled meeting due to injury. The set back put Evans against Ortiz and the healed up Jones against Rampage.
    With the possibility of another extended layoff from the champion, the division could become stagnant yet again; the UFC has already planned the next number one contender showdown at UFC 139 between Dan Henderson and “Shogun” Rua this November.
    No details regarding the cause of suspensions were given by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies’ Office of Boxing.
    The full list of suspensions is as follows:
    • Jon Jones: Suspended 180 days (or 45 days with physician clearance)
    • Quinton Jackson: Suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days
    • Matt Hughes: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    • Mark Hunt: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    • Ben Rothwell: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
    • Takanori Gomi: Suspended 30 days
    • Aaron Riley: Suspended 180 days (or 90 days with physician clearance)
    • Nick Ring: Suspended 30 days
    • Eddie Yagin: Suspended 30 days
    • Cole Escovedo: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    • Ricardo Romero: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
    • James Te Huna: Suspended 180 days for injuries (or a minimum 30 Days with physician clearance)
    http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/09/27/ufc-135-suspensions-jones-out-up-to-six-months-5303.html

Dean09 wrote: »
    Looks like Rashad Evans may have to wait a little bit longer for his shot at Jones. Jon Jones may be out for up to 6 months.
    I feel sorry for him at this stage, its almost like he's never gonna get a title shot!
    Full list of suspensions below:
    Twelve UFC 135 participants have been medically suspended following their efforts at last weekend’s “Jones vs. Rampage” event including the light-heavyweight champion who could be out up to six-months for injuries suffered during the night’s main event.
    “UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage” took place last Saturday, September 24 live on pay-per-view from Denver’s Pepsi Center. The card featured a light-heavyweight title fight in its main event between champion, Jon Jones and challenger “Rampage” Jackson in the champs first ever title defense. The bout ended in the fourth round with Jones securing a submission to retain his title.
    Next up for the champion is long-time number one contender, Rashad Evans whose aspirations to regain his title originally lost at the hands of Lyoto Machida have been sidelined month after month and year after year due to injuries to both himself and his opponents.
    After originally being scheduled to face Jones, he was leap frogged yet again when Jones was forced to withdraw from the scheduled meeting due to injury. The set back put Evans against Ortiz and the healed up Jones against Rampage.
    With the possibility of another extended layoff from the champion, the division could become stagnant yet again; the UFC has already planned the next number one contender showdown at UFC 139 between Dan Henderson and “Shogun” Rua this November.
    No details regarding the cause of suspensions were given by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies’ Office of Boxing.
    The full list of suspensions is as follows:
    • Jon Jones: Suspended 180 days (or 45 days with physician clearance)
    • Quinton Jackson: Suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days
    • Matt Hughes: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    • Mark Hunt: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    • Ben Rothwell: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
    • Takanori Gomi: Suspended 30 days
    • Aaron Riley: Suspended 180 days (or 90 days with physician clearance)
    • Nick Ring: Suspended 30 days
    • Eddie Yagin: Suspended 30 days
    • Cole Escovedo: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    • Ricardo Romero: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
    • James Te Huna: Suspended 180 days for injuries (or a minimum 30 Days with physician clearance)
    http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/09/27/ufc-135-suspensions-jones-out-up-to-six-months-5303.html

i think them suspensions are standard,he'll be able to fight a lot sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah they're rarely that long, suspensions can be lifted after clearance by a doctor.

He should take the full 6 months though, just to pi$$ Evans off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Jones just said on Twitter his bambi legs are feeling good.

Davis vs. Machida for 140 announced at presser(sorta).

Ush1 wrote: »
    Davis vs. Machida for 140 announced at presser(sorta).

Yeah quickly retracted!

Would have been an interesting fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The Ultimate Fighting Championship apparently has big plans for February, as promotion president Dana White revealed Tuesday that the organization will attempt to hold two events simultaneously in early-2012.

“When we go to Japan next year, we are going to be putting on a show at the same time in Las Vegas,” White told Dave Meltzer of Yahoo Sports. “We’ll be doing a lot of that in the future.”

The UFC’s return to Japan will take place Feb. 26, 2012, at Saitama Super Arena. While no contests have been officially revealed for the show, the card is expected to be populated with former Pride Fighting Championships stars.

As the event will take place live on Sunday in Saitama, Japan, the show will likely air live during its normal hours of broadcast on Saturday, Feb. 25, in the United States. It is currently unknown if the two simultaneous events will air as a single broadcast or as completely separate shows.

The concept of an organization hosting multiple events simultaneously is not unheard of. Likely the most famous attempt at the practice came in 1986, when the then-World Wrestling Federation promoted the pro-wrestling event “Wrestlemania 2” from three separate venues in California, Illinois and New York.

Link : http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-Planning-Simultaneous-February-Events-in-Japan-Las-Vegas-36014

Have no idea how they're gonna make this work, but IMO it doesn't bode well for future Euro events, they'd have a card here (poor quality, offer it free to all who buy US PPV), starting at 9pm, broadcast it live then a few hours wait until the real (and better card) starts in Vegas. Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wonder if theyll keep switching back and forth arena to arena? :/
    And will they split up Mike & Joe :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Daz_07

Mega Chin wrote: »

I hope they dont split Mike & Joe up....just wasnt the same with Kenny Florian at 134...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Daz_07 wrote: »
    I hope they dont split Mike & Joe up....just wasnt the same with Kenny Florian at 134...

It's funny that Joe Rogan is the comedian but Mike is the comic sidekick when they are commentating.

Or is it that Mike is just a bit thick?

Mike gets carried away a lot

I liked KenFlo, im a rogan fan, but kenflo was good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Dana White revealed Tuesday that the organization will attempt to hold two events simultaneously in early-2012

This is a terrible idea, give us one good card at a time. Does this mean we have to pick between which one to watch?

weemcd wrote: »
    This is a terrible idea, give us one good card at a time. Does this mean we have to pick between which one to watch?

Don't care as long as they're both broadcast. I suspect 1 will be online though, Dana is obsessed with the internet being the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mike and Joe is Las Vegas and Bas and The Voice in Japan!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

they should get Bas Rutten and maybe stephen quadros/Mauro Ranallo for Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If they're essentially trying to make it a Pride tribute show, then it needs Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo on commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If they're essentially trying to make it a Pride tribute show, then it needs Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo on commentary.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

please no mauro ranallo!!!

id even prefer stephen quadros to him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Here's a vid of Dana speaking about last nights card and about 5mins in he talks about the 2 cards on the same night thing. He basically says the Japan card will be live and free, and it'll lead into a ppv card afterwards.
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/44746947#44746947

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement