Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

Dana and Ronda on a big promotion blitz in Melbourne at the minute. Can't help but think it's all for a fight that won't go past 1 minute....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Officer999 wrote: »
    Dana and Ronda on a big promotion blitz in Melbourne at the minute. Can't help but think it's all for a fight that won't go past 1 minute....

It's more about the 70k bums on seats, the length of the fight is irrelevant.
    They left melb a few days ago, in sydney now. My coach had a 1on1 interview with Ronda yesterday. The baldy fella was there too. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd like to think Holm would make it out of the first min, even the first round.

She's probably the biggest opponent Rousey has fought, and one of the few (only maybe) that are bigger than her.

According to Wikipedia anyway Rousey is 5'7" with a 66" reach and Holm is 5'8" with a 69" reach.

I'd like to think that Holm will have the know how to keep Rousey away from her for a bit because of her kick boxing and boxing background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Holly wont stand a chance.

Boxing of kickboxing will not teach you how to deal with someone charging you into a clinch. Its virtually impossible, even the most elusive boxers and kickboxers out there get tied up all the time. The difference is they get separated.

She wont be able to avoid the clinch its more a factor of if she can break it and push away. I don't think her grappling IQ is at that level for someone like Ronda.

Her only hope is to land a perfect shot on Ronda on the way in (I don't think she will have the KO power to do this), but her first reaction will more than likely be to try and back peddle or move off the the side.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'd like to think that Holm will have the know how to keep Rousey away from her for a bit because of her kick boxing and boxing background.

Keeping distance in striking is very different to grappling. When she try's to keep her on the outside Ronda will change leveks and take her down with a single, or pop up into the clinch when Holly defends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone interested in the Bellator Dynamite card on tonight?

It's a hybrid MMA/Kickboxing event with a ring and a cage. Apparently at points there will be two fights happening at the same time, which I have no idea how that will work. It's Glory kickboxing so the standard should be good. Sounds like a crazy Japanese New year card they would have had a few years ago. Fedor's around so I'd expect him to be in the audience.

Tito is fighting for the strap, Paul Daley is there and I think Josh Thompson too.

Spike tv aren't showing it over here, the fúcking idiots, so probably stream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellator_MMA_%26_Glory:_Dynamite_1
    ^there's the card if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

weemcd wrote: »

It's a hybrid MMA/Kickboxing event with a ring and a cage. Apparently at points there will be two fights happening at the same time, which I have no idea how that will work. It's Glory kickboxing so the standard should be good. Sounds like a crazy Japanese New year card they would have had a few years ago. Fedor's around so I'd expect him to be in the audience.

Tito is fighting for the strap, Paul Daley is there and I think Josh Thompson too.

Going to miss it but really wish I wasn't. Gonna be a fantastic night. First time i've seen a Bellator card with real names on it. Liam McGeary is a fantastic fighter, really hope to see him in the UFC some day but he just signed a multi-fight contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Read a rumour that Schaub is close to signing a multi fight deal with Bellator, gets to keep his image and merchandising rights as well as being able to wear his own sponsored gear and stuff.

Would be a good addition to their roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

hoping to get this somewhere tomorrow morning but probably unlikely
    really hope the likes of josh can go on a tear there yet am glad the likes of phil davis, even pat healy are now with bellator

Read a rumour that Schaub is close to signing a multi fight deal with Bellator, gets to keep his image and merchandising rights as well as being able to wear his own sponsored gear and stuff.

Would be a good addition to their roster.

I was watching Joe Rogan podcast and Schaub was on and they almost let it slip he was retired/retiring. He's making big money from his podcast with Bryan Callen, Rogan also tore him to shreds after his loss to Travis Browne.

Let's face it, he'd be doing well to go W-L-W-L....etc for the rest of his career. Not good enough to beat the top guys and will probably be inconsistent with the guys ranked 5-15

• Advertisement

http://bellator.spike.com/live

^ use Hola unblocker or something similar and you can watch the prelims live for free. 2 guys tearing it up in a kickboxing rules fight here.

Also Quadros and Ranallo commentating, with crazy Pride style intros. Been good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Coker making an announcement tonight 'that will change the landscape of mma'. I'm guessing partnering with pride and announcing signing fedor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Coker making an announcement tonight 'that will change the landscape of mma'. I'm guessing partnering with pride and announcing signing fedor.

Doubtful, Zuffa owns Pride

scudzilla wrote: »
    Doubtful, Zuffa owns Pride

Well not pride but the old owner of it sakikabara is hanging around ballator tonight so probably something with him.

King Mo managed to both dominate and look like a complete bum there. He could have finished that in one minute, instead he let his opponent off and swung from the waist. A poor man's Rampage. He's not winning the tournament

So Fedor is back, fighting on NYE in Tokyo, wonder who his opponent will be....Kimbo Slice probably :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So he not fighting with ufc, he's not even going to Belator. He's fighting on a new japanese promotion by the dodgy former head of Pride. Sounds legit...

Mellor wrote: »
    So he not fighting with ufc, he's not even going to Belator. He's fighting on a new japanese promotion by the dodgy former head of Pride. Sounds legit...

Almost as dodgy as how easily
    Tito just got submitted
    <- Bellator spoiler

scudzilla wrote: »
    Almost as dodgy as how easily
    Tito just got submitted
    <- Bellator spoiler

Lol
    Off to find a gif/replay of that :)

So it's the former pride president and Bellator co-promoting a massive event in Japan?
    That's a balls, but it should be a fecking huge event all the same.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Lol
    Off to find a gif/replay of that :)

https://t.co/Uwzuk0kJRg

I think that's missing the dodgy part Scudzilla was referring to.
    Tito attempted a fake tap to get out

http://fat.gfycat.com/NippySaltyAfghanhound.mp4

How did you guess this? haha.

How did you guess this? haha.

What can I say, I predict deeze tings :)

It's probably for the best Fedor didn't sign with UFC, I just can't CAN'T picture him in the Reebok gear. At least now he can have a nice handy fixed fight with plenty of dodgy dealings going on under the table.

On another note, doesn't look good for Belator when Phil Davis mauls through people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What can I say, I predict deeze tings :)

It's probably for the best Fedor didn't sign with UFC, I just can't CAN'T picture him in the Reebok gear. At least now he can have a nice handy fixed fight with plenty of dodgy dealings going on under the table.

On another note, doesn't look good for Belator when Phil Davis mauls through people :pac:

Since you're in form, how many years months days in jail will Jon Jones get?

martyos121 wrote: »
    Since you're in form, how many years months days in jail will Jon Jones get?

Bwhahahahahaha ahem.... Jonathon Bones Jones will get zero jail time as he explains to the court that the pregnant lady gave him a look from her car that she was going to literally grab his throat and he had no choice but to counter her with a car crash literally.

Would love them to throw the book at Jones.

However him and his slick lawyers will have him pleaded down to a suspended sentence and community service etc. The whole dog and pony show will be rolled out about how he's going to rehab and trying to start a new life for himself in Albuquerque, moving away from the trouble around him in New York.

Pity, because he seems like a really nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Would love them to throw the book at Jones.

However him and his slick lawyers will have him pleaded down to a suspended sentence and community service etc. The whole dog and pony show will be rolled out about how he's going to rehab and trying to start a new life for himself in Albuquerque, moving away from the trouble around him in New York.

Pity, because he seems like a really nasty piece of work.

Completely understand why you'd want to see him put away, and I partly agree, but it would be such a shame for one of the most talented athletes in combat sports to fade away. Yeah he might be a boring fighter to watch at times too, but he's so much fun to hate and he always brings new eyes to the sport, if even for the wrong reasons. I personally hope he's back in the octagon in 2016, as a heavyweight. Velasquez vs. Jones in MSG at the end of 2016 would absolutely blow my mind, but that's a serious pipe dream.

Same, can't stand him but would prefer to see him get bate in the octagon instead of prison. No chance he will go to hw when he basically toys with lhw lads like a lion does with a zebra. DC saying he needs Jones back to beat him this time is laughable.

I used to think Cain would completely smash him but not so sure these days.

I wish he would just embrace the heel character, would actually make him more likable.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Completely understand why you'd want to see him put away, and I partly agree, but it would be such a shame for one of the most talented athletes in combat sports to fade away. Yeah he might be a boring fighter to watch at times too, but he's so much fun to hate and he always brings new eyes to the sport, if even for the wrong reasons. I personally hope he's back in the octagon in 2016, as a heavyweight. Velasquez vs. Jones in MSG at the end of 2016 would absolutely blow my mind, but that's a serious pipe dream.

I agree with everything you say, especially the Heavyweight comment, I love the idea he's behind closed doors rebuilding himself into a new machine. However I hate the US legal system, and how money and status can get you much further than the average man on the street. One would argue it's the same over here but that's for a different day. I'm also aware that while Tyson always would have imploded, his imprisonment no doubt brought this forward by a number of years. There are a lot of parallels here. Will be interesting to watch this all unfold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement