Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Hes entering a plea. Not sure of American legal system but guessing he hoping for played down charges

http://i.imgur.com/xG0aojc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus Faber just told the lifestory of Ludwig and TAM. Crazy stuff. He says it will come out on TUF so he wants to explain the whole thing. Bang sounds shady AF.

2:16:00 for Faber

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Hes entering a plea. Not sure of American legal system but guessing he hoping for played down charges

http://i.imgur.com/xG0aojc.jpg

Jones was completely in the wrong, but I honestly don't think he deserves to go to jail based on the info we know for sure. It it was a "non-famous" person, I don't think they'd go to jail either as long as they were were capable of some sort of defense/plea bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    Jones was completely in the wrong, but I honestly don't think he deserves to go to jail based on the info we know for sure. It it was a "non-famous" person, I don't think they'd go to jail either as long as they were were capable of some sort of defense/plea bargain.

Are you mad, in the states possession of class a drugs, carrying more than x amount of money, fleeing the scene of an rta and whatever else you could throw in there would be enough for any Johnny Pleb to not only end up in jail on a mandatory minimum sentence but face Civil forfeiture of any personal property in that state.

If he doesn't see jail it will because he has damned good lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

martyos121 wrote: »
    Completely understand why you'd want to see him put away, and I partly agree, but it would be such a shame for one of the most talented athletes in combat sports to fade away. Yeah he might be a boring fighter to watch at times too, but he's so much fun to hate and he always brings new eyes to the sport, if even for the wrong reasons. I personally hope he's back in the octagon in 2016, as a heavyweight. Velasquez vs. Jones in MSG at the end of 2016 would absolutely blow my mind, but that's a serious pipe dream.

Jones a boring fighter at times?? I love watching him fight and think he's far from boring , what's boring about him out of curiosity? Do you mean when he just pins a guy against the cage and works from the clinch like the Glover fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Are you mad, in the states possession of class a drugs, carrying more than x amount of money, fleeing the scene of an rta and whatever else you could throw in there would be enough for any Johnny Pleb to not only end up in jail on a mandatory minimum sentence but face Civil forfeiture of any personal property in that state.

You mean you aren't aware of people in your locality who were caught in possession of drugs and still walk the streets c'mon. Jones was making a lot of money hardly shocking he was carrying a nice bit. I'm not defending him but I'd be surprised if he got a serious land tbh any Lawyer worth their salt should get a him a favourable deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ludwig replies to Faber

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/22/9368479/duane-ludwig-responds-to-urijah-faber-s-accusations-he-might-be-just?_ga=1.87176600.1073451452.1439470855

"We definitely had a couple lapses," Ludwig said. "Every time we talked I thought one thing was said and then apparently something else was said. So there's multiple times when we had what I thought were agreements and the result was always me getting short-handed. I don't get it. That's why we always had problems, because we always had a conversation, we'd agree on certain things and when it came time for certain things to happen, they wouldn't.

"It comes from him never being questioned and then me questioning him. Like, what the hell? I'm telling you. He's the man, especially in Sacramento. No one questions him. Whatever he says goes. That's not just how I operate. I think we're all equal and if someone says they're gonna do something, then they need to follow through and do it just like I am. Just like everyone else should be doing."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hoki wrote: »
    Jones a boring fighter at times?? I love watching him fight and think he's far from boring , what's boring about him out of curiosity? Do you mean when he just pins a guy against the cage and works from the clinch like the Glover fight?

Yeah that's exactly it for me. Just don't like to watch that style of fighting, not everyone likes the same thing. When he stands up and battles though, he is absolutely something else to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

No one has mentioned that Jones is a young black man and the American prison system isn't exactly known for its equality when dealing with black citizens.

"An African-American male is sentenced an average of a 20 to 50 times longer prison term then a white male convicted of the same drug crime"

http://www.globalresearch.ca/racism-and-incarceration-african-americans-in-us-jails/5425187

If Jones was the average guy he would 100% be going to jail. I hope he doesn't however and that this is the slap in the face he needs to cop the fcuk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/9/21/9367241/report-belfort-fought-ufc-152-after-testing-elevated-testosterone-mma-news
    It's almost 3 years ago to the day since Vitor Belfort stepped up on short notice to fight Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 152 in Toronto. Belfort nearly submitted Jones with an armbar in the 1st round, then proceeded to get shellacked until he tapped out to an Americana in round 4.

Belfort has been the subject of heavy scrutiny and multiple controversies concerning his TRT use and drug testing results, and we have another chapter to add to the book. In a special investigation penned by Josh Gross and published on Deadspin, Belfort had actually tested positive for elevated testosterone in the state of Nevada just under three weeks before fight night in Ontario:

[The] document shows that Belfort's free testosterone levels were high—two and a half times above the average for a man his age, in fact. At a time when the TRT exemption as a form of sanctioned doping was becoming a major issue in the sport, the document rightly raised suspicions among those who received it.

These results were meant to be sent electronically via email to three UFC executives on the afternoon of September 4th, 2012. Instead, it was accidentally sent "to a group of 29 fighters, managers, and trainers," including longtime MMA manager Monte Cox.

Upon realizing the accident, the UFC went into damage control mode and sent another mass email ordering the unintended recipients to delete the emails, which Gross outlined through these timestamps:

Sept. 4, 2012, got interesting at 3:01 p.m. Pacific time for the people who received the .pdf from the UFC. A paralegal working for the UFC had meant to send an email with the subject "Vitor Belfort Labs" to three UFC executives. Instead, much of the known MMA world, including several people with whom the promotion openly feuded in the past, received it.

At 3:04, the paralegal sent out an email attempting to recall the original message.

At 3:55, a third email explained that the original had been sent in error and that the attempt to recall had come too late. Recipients were asked to "please disregard the e-mail, please delete ASAP!!!!!"

At 7:16, recipients got a memorandum from Ike Lawrence Epstein, UFC's executive vice president and general counsel at the time. [link to the image]

According to Gross, one prominent fighter who saw the results and came to the conclusion that "Belfort had cheated and that the UFC had covered it up," which several others also similarly expressed in off-the-record conversations.

The key details in Belfort's tests are his free testosterone levels:

Belfort's test—administered, according to these records, on Sept. 1, 2012 by Dr. Pierce—measured 1038 nanograms of testosterone per deciliter. A person in Belfort's age range is more likely to be in the 700s, so while this result was within the normal range, it was near the high end of it. His free testosterone levels, though, were clearly elevated.

Beneath "FLAG," to the right of the "RESULT" column on the LabCorp document, Belfort's free testosterone result is labeled in bold as "High."The acceptable range listed on LabCorp metrics—standards vary between laboratories—is 8.7 to 25.1 picograms, or a trillionth of a gram, per milliliter.

Belfort's free testosterone, which encompasses .5- to 3-percent of the testosterone in the body and is crucial to enhancing recovery and performance, registered 47.7 pg/ml. That's two and a half times where a man his age should have been.

Keep in mind that Belfort's TRT use wasn't made public until his fight with Michael Bisping in early 2013, although a later report said he was on TRT since 2011. On that note, here's how the Ontario Athletic Commission handled the situation ahead of the fight:

Regulators in Ontario, Canada, oversaw the Jones-Belfort fight at UFC 152 on Sept. 22, 2012, and were unaware of Belfort's TRT or apparent use exemption. As far as the Ontario commission was concerned, any details related to testosterone exemptions were spelled out in the contract between the UFC and its fighters, said Stephen Puddister, a representative of the province's Ministry of Consumer Affairs. Any questions should have been directed to the UFC.

Ahead of the fight, Marc Ratner, the UFC's head of regulatory affairs, told TheScore.com that the UFC "cannot disclose" drug testing or use exemption information because of the commission. On the night Jones stopped Belfort—though not before the young champion's arm was injured during a submission attempt by the Brazilian—Puddister told me that Ontario was not preventing UFC from disclosing this sort of information.

For the record, it looks like UFC officials declined to make any comment on the matter. On Tuesday, Bloody Elbow's John Nash will have his own report on this very story with additional quotes and documents, so keep an eye out for that. Until such time, the full article by Gross is very much worth your time.

Here's the full article:

http://deadspin.com/a-sketchy-drug-test-didn-t-stop-vitor-belfort-from-figh-1717739475

• Advertisement

Are you mad, in the states possession of class a drugs, carrying more than x amount of money, fleeing the scene of an rta...
    I did say based on the facts? Not on random rumours and gossip.

What Class A drugs are involved?
    Carrying money isn't illegal. I've no idea what you are getting at.

He's charged with leaving the scene. It's a downgraded felony charge that carries a maximum of 18months jail time and $5000 fine. That's max for Joe Pleb.
    Nobody is getting their assesses ceased. We aren't dealing with the proceeds of crime here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hmmm so as of now these are the facts?
    He's charged with leaving the scene. It's a downgraded felony charge that carries a maximum of 18months jail time and $5000 fine

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hmmm so as of now these are the facts?

Yup. Apparently so.
    http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-jon-jones-plea-hearing-felony-hit-and-run-accident-for-september-29-092115

Max sentence has to be very unlikely. Add the fact he's taking a plea here, and he has to be looking at a mild enough punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I did say based on the facts? Not on random rumours and gossip.

What Class A drugs are involved?
    Carrying money isn't illegal. I've no idea what you are getting at.

He's charged with leaving the scene. It's a downgraded felony charge that carries a maximum of 18months jail time and $5000 fine. That's max for Joe Pleb.
    Nobody is getting their assesses ceased. We aren't dealing with the proceeds of crime here.

I read somewhere that they found drugs in the car, maybe that was a lie. I also read that he admitted he returned to collect money from the car which amounted to a few grand, again that could be untrue.

If you're carrying more than a few hundred dollars in some US states (including New Mexico) and involved in a crime that involves drugs and are prosecuted for it the police can take the money, the car, your house and any other property you own, it's called Civil Forfeiture.
    It happens all the time. In some states you don't even need to be prosecuted for it and they don't even need to catch you with drugs, they just have to suspect you of being involved with criminality. People have been pulled over for random searches, found with 2k in the pockets and had it taken because the cops "suspected" they were buying drugs with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/22/9367791/wsof-23-salaries-champs-justin-gaethje-david-branch-cash-100000

Gaethje & Branch both earning six figures is pretty cool, along with Bellator fighters getting good money it's great to see more places for fighters to go. The ufc isn't the be all end all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

keep reading the card, some people on a grand

keep reading the card, some people on a grand

My point was mainly aimed at how far they have come, this was the payouts from an event a little over a year ago.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/11/5992839/wsof-12-payouts-and-salaries-palomino-and-mutapcic-lead-the-way-in-sin-city-mma

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ASOT wrote: »
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/22/9367791/wsof-23-salaries-champs-justin-gaethje-david-branch-cash-100000

Gaethje & Branch both earning six figures is pretty cool, along with Bellator fighters getting good money it's great to see more places for fighters to go. The ufc isn't the be all end all anymore.

+ they get to keep their own sponsors which will add up to a lot more than that poxy reebok deal

scudzilla wrote: »
    + they get to keep their own sponsors which will add up to a lot more than that poxy reebok deal

Yep, sure Thomson said he made 60 times more than his rebook deal on the weekend at Bellator, 60 could be wrong but it was some mad amount anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Cowboy is on Rogan's podcast right now

http://www.ustream.tv/joerogan

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that they found drugs in the car, maybe that was a lie.
    It was weed, which isn't a class A drug, plus that's the UK/RoI system anyway. Not the US. It was a small amount in a pipe in the back of the car found after the fact. Which would be a misdemeanor possession, but they didn't actually find it on him, so he can't be charged. They also can't prove that he was high at the time, so the weed is basically inadmissible.

I also read that he admitted he returned to collect money from the car which amounted to a few grand, again that could be untrue.
    He can carry as much money as he likes. It's not illegal in any shape or form.
    If you're carrying more than a few hundred dollars in some US states (including New Mexico) and involved in a crime that involves drugs and are prosecuted for it the police can take the money, the car, your house and any other property you own, it's called Civil Forfeiture.

It happens all the time. In some states you don't even need to be prosecuted for it and they don't even need to catch you with drugs, they just have to suspect you of being involved with criminality. People have been pulled over for random searches, found with 2k in the pockets and had it taken because the cops "suspected" they were buying drugs with it.
    This wasn't "crime involving drugs" - it was a car crash. I know what Civil Forfeiture is, it doesn't apply here. It's used to seize illegal drug profits, proceeds from crime, etc. Not simply anytime they find drugs - think about what you are suggesting, that if they bust a guy with a joint they can take his house - they can't. Sure, If they suspect you of being involved in drug trade, then they can seize assets - but Jones is not a suspected drug dealer, that would be an absolutely laughed out of court.

And New Mexico has abolished Civil Forfeiture btw.

Nice payday for Gaethje & Branch. But the rest of the card is shafted. The disparity top to bottom is way worse in WSOF compared to the UFC. 1k to fights on an international MMA event is a joke.

14 out of the 22 fighters are getting less than the absolute basic UFC contract (TUF type). And the guys on 10-14k aren't a few fights in, so they've be past the 8k UFC entry point.
    I think its crazy the UFC get slated for fighter pay, and the WSOF are getting praise for the above.
    Yep, sure Thomson said he made 60 times more than his rebook deal on the weekend at Bellator, 60 could be wrong but it was some mad amount anyway.

He got $35k+ from sponsors in Bellator, he was getting $5k Reebok money. A lot more, but not 60x more.
    Fighter pay isn't released yet, but he's probably on the same of marginally ahead in Bellator.

BUT Thomson is a big name on that card, Phil Davis probably cleaned up too (top position wrestler, two fights) - there's no way that Joe Bellator is making close to that from sponsors.
    +

It was weed, which isn't a class A drug, plus that's the UK/RoI system anyway. Not the US. It was a small amount in a pipe in the back of the car found after the fact. Which would be a misdemeanor possession, but they didn't actually find it on him, so he can't be charged. They also can't prove that he was high at the time, so the weed is basically inadmissible.

He can carry as much money as he likes. It's not illegal in any shape or form.

This wasn't "crime involving drugs" - it was a car crash. I know what Civil Forfeiture is, it doesn't apply here. It's used to seize illegal drug profits, proceeds from crime, etc. Not simply anytime they find drugs - think about what you are suggesting, that if they bust a guy with a joint they can take his house - they can't. Sure, If they suspect you of being involved in drug trade, then they can seize assets - but Jones is not a suspected drug dealer, that would be an absolutely laughed out of court.

And New Mexico has abolished Civil Forfeiture btw.
    Just on this dude, you need to read more on it, what it's intended for and how the police forces use it are two different things

Just on this dude, you need to read more on it, what it's intended for and how the police forces use it are two different things

Well that's true. I was going to comment that it's regularly abused - as in applied illegally. And that probably applies to all aspects of the US legal system, unlawful arrest, beating detainee, holding people illegally. But it'd it'd be fairly dumb to illegally seize money from somebody with the financial power to crush it in court. The same that way Jones probably was treated as if he was a random black guy who crashed into a pregnant white women.

Regardless, its all moot because;
    a) Civil forfeiture has been abolished in New Mexico. And,
    b) He wasn't (afaik) arrested at the time with the money. It's not something that's applied as part of criminal conviction.

Best example I can think of regarding Jon’s case is Josh Brent, NFL player for the cowboys. His story is has some pretty similar parallels to Jones, but a lot more serious.
    He previously had a DUI conviction,
    3 years later, involved in a car crash when DUI again. A person died in the crash.
    Charged with manslaughter, breached his bail conditions, and then later failed two drug tests,
    Convicted of manslaughter.

It’s like the Jones story, except its slight worse at every possible turn.
    Josh Brent got 6 months in jail.

I can see Jones doing 30 days jail time, some community service, and he’ll offer to pay compensation to the victim. And I wouldn’t be surprised if any jail time is fully suspended.

Best example I can think of regarding Jon’s case is Josh Brent, NFL player for the cowboys. His story is has some pretty similar parallels to Jones, but a lot more serious.
    He previously had a DUI conviction,
    3 years later, involved in a car crash when DUI again. A person died in the crash.
    Charged with manslaughter, breached his bail conditions, and then later failed two drug tests,
    Convicted of manslaughter.

It’s like the Jones story, except its slight worse at every possible turn.
    Josh Brent got 6 months in jail.

I can see Jones doing 30 days jail time, some community service, and he’ll offer to pay compensation to the victim. And I wouldn’t be surprised if any jail time is fully suspended.
    brent had the advantage of being a cowboy, in court in dallas, and he "retired" after the ordeal

brent had the advantage of being a cowboy, in court in dallas, and he "retired" after the ordeal

I thought he was still a rostered player?

I thought he was still a rostered player?

no he retired if I remember correctly....came back out of retirement within the year though

• Advertisement

Barao moving up to 145. I guess Aldo is retiring after the Conor fight or moving up to 155.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement