Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Tinie wrote: »
    CM Punks debut "postponed" due to shoulder injury. Im still skeptical if he will ever step in the octagon.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/13818152/cm-punk-ufc-debut-postponed-shoulder-injury

I had it in my head the last couple of months that we will never see him in the Octagon. Great idea at the start, then he got hit in the face at training and realised these are real ouchies and kept delaying his debut.

Everytime Roufus spoke about him, it screamed 'aaahhhh yeaaaaa he's doing oooookaaayyy.....I spose', no confidence in him, and now he's saying Phil is at 50% in training. Sound like Roufus will throw him at UFC 200 and get a nice cut of the profit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It could be that or it could be that he's not picking up the stuff quick enough. I doubt the coaches would let him compete if he's not anywhere near the level required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mellor wrote: »

He wasn't out of shape before getting the call, making weight was a non issue imo.

That's like saying Conor wasn't out of shape so making weight was a non issue.

Even if Chad didn't have to lose a gram of fat the methods they use to actually cut the weight takes a certain level of precision/organisation. Lets say he is using super hydration method that will take out at least 2 days of training when you are down to rationing your water, take out weigh in day, then the day of the fight. So that's 4 days out of this 2 week camp.

This is actually interesting and probably the route Conor used to lose so much weight, Chad would have followed a similar, yet less severe version.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/comment-page-2/

So, Fedor looks to be fighting sone guy who's 1-0.....and that 1 was most likely put together just for this fight. Jaysus, the fight won't even be worth tuning into!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So, Fedor looks to be fighting sone guy who's 1-0.....and that 1 was most likely put together just for this fight. Jaysus, the fight won't even be worth tuning into!

What did you expect? Someone who had a chance of beating him?
    Remember his last fight in Japan (i think), he fought Hong Man CHoi and knees were banned!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Tj has left team alpha according to reports!

Faber vs tj what ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

but1er wrote: »

Just beat me to it ya bollox! :D

But yeah, defo getting TJ vs. Faber at some point now, especially when Cruz beats him :)

but1er wrote: »

Aw man, forget Dom, just make TJ vs Faber! That would be a war and I can picture Conor laughing and rubbing his hands together like a mad man in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Mystic mac strikes again! McGregor is on d ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

He's training out of that MusclePharm sports science place, amazing facilities when it was show on the vlogs for one event I forget which one.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    He's training out of that MusclePharm sports science place, amazing facilities when it was show on the vlogs for one event I forget which one.

Found a video of it, it looks incredible:

Very impressive facility but wtf is he talking about at 1.44 equating muscle fatigue to getting rocked

JJayoo wrote: »
    Very impressive facility but wtf is he talking about at 1.44 equating muscle fatigue to getting rocked

Thought that was idiotic as well. There's some things in MMA you just can't prepare for safely, and getting rocked is most definitely one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

martyos121 wrote: »
    Thought that was idiotic as well. There's some things in MMA you just can't prepare for safely, and getting rocked is most definitely one of them.

I think fedor used to spin around like a child until he became dizzy and that'd be as close as you'd get to it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's like saying Conor wasn't out of shape so making weight was a non issue.

Even if Chad didn't have to lose a gram of fat the methods they use to actually cut the weight takes a certain level of precision/organisation. Lets say he is using super hydration method that will take out at least 2 days of training when you are down to rationing your water, take out weigh in day, then the day of the fight. So that's 4 days out of this 2 week camp.

This is actually interesting and probably the route Conor used to lose so much weight, Chad would have followed a similar, yet less severe version.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/comment-page-2/
    I'm well we're he'd have to cut water. But even if he didn't he wouldn't be training a the few dats before the fight. His "two week camp" didnt include that time. It was more 17/18 days out when the Aldo story broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I'm well we're he'd have to cut water. But even if he didn't he wouldn't be training a the few dats before the fight. His "two week camp" didnt include that time. It was more 17/18 days out when the Aldo story broke.

Plus leading up to the announcement of the injury i think during the week beforehand he put up the instagram post about his 20 mile cycle and flat out with pictures of wrestling practice etc. the whole chad being unfit arguement is a crock and just a weak excuse, cant believe people are still talking about it this far out! sad to think youd see so many people sore over seeing their countryman doing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I think it's bizarre that people can't accept that not having a full camp is a massive handicap and seeing someone like Mendes who is known as being a super athletic beast gassing after one round, where he spent most of it slamming elbows into conors face, is extremely unusual.

Its possible to be bloody objective here, you know? Conor still won, but the fact that Chad was training (he's a professional athlete for feck sake, of course he was training) isn't the same as having a dedicated training camp to focus on conditioning and cutting.

A 20 mile bike ride with his missus is not in anyway transferable to fight conditioning, its extremely low intensity. It's like saying " he was training, sure he walked up Djouce".

I think it's bizarre that people can't accept that not having a full camp is a massive handicap
    Nobody said the short notice wasn't a wasn't a handicap. I'd have assumed that went without saying.
    I was just pointing out that he wasn't sitting on his ass as some have suggested. Uriah said that jokingly, but some people took it as facevalue.
    A 20 mile bike ride with his missus is not in anyway transferable to fight conditioning, its extremely low intensity. It's like saying " he was training, sure he walked up Djouce".
    and Tuff Mudder with the other TAM fighters. Also low intensity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Maybe Chad was not 100% fight ready but even if he was, getting winded repeatedly is going to end any fight, seems thats what Conor intended to do. I think Chad was winning until Conor finished him.I would have given Chad both rounds but Conor still done more damage and was able to finish him.

Chad definitely deserves second shot at Conor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

TJ leaves TAM, Conor is Nostradamus.

• Advertisement

TJ leaves TAM, Conor is Nostradamus.

Mystic Mac surely?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

dave1982 wrote: »
    Maybe Chad was not 100% fight ready but even if he was, getting winded repeatedly is going to end any fight, seems thats what Conor intended to do. I think Chad was winning until Conor finished him.I would have given Chad both rounds but Conor still done more damage and was able to finish him.

I'd like to think that everyone could at least agree on this bit. Full camps for both and that's a fight I'd love to see. More so than Conor v Jose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dave1982 wrote: »

Agreed. But from my own personal point of view, only because I think McGregor would put him away just as quick, if not quicker next time round, thus silencing the naysayers.

The reason I think Chad gasses is because he spent just over 5 mins of a 10 min fight on top of Conor. For a wrestler being on top is the most relaxed position to be in.

Anywho what are people's opinions on Bang's appearance on Fighter and the Kid? Personally I thought it was an absolute bullsh1t showing from Schaub, completely biased

The reason I think Chad gasses is because he spent just over 5 mins of a 10 min fight on top of Conor. For a wrestler being on top is the most relaxed position to be in.

Anywho what are people's opinions on Bang's appearance on Fighter and the Kid? Personally I thought it was an absolute bullsh1t showing from Schaub, completely biased

Schaub being Schaub, brown nosing his friends and Callen being Callen and not being informed enough or smart enough to know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think it's bizarre that people can't accept that not having a full camp is a massive handicap and seeing someone like Mendes who is known as being a super athletic beast gassing after one round, where he spent most of it slamming elbows into conors face, is extremely unusual.

Its possible to be bloody objective here, you know? Conor still won, but the fact that Chad was training (he's a professional athlete for feck sake, of course he was training) isn't the same as having a dedicated training camp to focus on conditioning and cutting.

He should still be able to go a round without gassing. Everyone around him says he likes short camps so there's no way he can go into a short camp in the position that he's gassed within a round and then expect to be able to go five in the space of a few weeks.

It's extremely unusual for Mendes to fade so quickly because Conor's kicks took the life out of him, without them Mendes would have gone much longer before he tired. If that was Aldo chopping at his legs repeatedly (like the Faber fight) and Medes slowed his movement few would be blame his camp, it would be the leg kicks that did the damage. Despite how 'unusual' a super athletic beast gassing within a round is, some refuse to give Conor credit for his part in causing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/7/9469203/t-j-dillashaw-elevation-fight-team-is-paying-me-good-money-to-train

The plot thickens with TJ
    "Now, Elevation Fight Team came to me and they want to pay me some good money to train with them," Dillashaw said. "They're offering to pay me to train, instead of me paying to train.
    "I believe in Duane Ludwig as a coach," Dillashaw said. "I love the guy. I train with him. Me and him mesh. When you find something that works, you keep it going. Me and him see eye to eye. We train well together.

"I wish the whole thing with Duane would have worked out. I wish Duane wasn't so hard to somewhat get along with.
    Dillashaw is not happy about leaving Team Alpha Male after six years. He said he still wants to be part of the family there and most of the squad understands his decision -- "except for a couple."

CatFromHue wrote: »

So he's basically signing with the supplement company as an ambassador and as a part of that he trains at their new swanky complex. It's a total no brainer for him in fairness. Could see more stuff like this happening, wouldn't be surprised if Onnit started a fight team with a few "marque" members who promote their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Nobody said the short notice wasn't a wasn't a handicap. I'd have assumed that went without saying.
    I was just pointing out that he wasn't sitting on his ass as some have suggested. Uriah said that jokingly, but some people took it as facevalue.

and Tuff Mudder with the other TAM fighters. Also low intensity?

Tough Mudders aren't as tough as they appear, you need a decent level of fitness to come through it but they aren't that bad and I'd expect an out of shape Mendes to still be able to do it with ease, I did a tough mudder with a torn acl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dolce says Hendricks was 218 going into the cut for his second fight with Lawlor and he was between, 210-215 going into the Woodley fight.... That's an absolutely ridiculous weight cut, I actually feel sorry for his kidneys. For the sake of his heart he should either stop getting so fat or never try cut to WW again, that's Rumble Johnson stlye cut to WW. Hendricks would 100% benefit from a lesser cut and fighting at MW imo

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/7/9469115/mike-dolce-johny-hendricks-ufc-192-weight-cut-was-a-comedy-of-errors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement