Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I reckon he's trying to get himself cut by talking smack about rebok all the time, to be honest. Getting let go by the UFC means he can take his sponsors with him to Bellator.

Yeah the one major hole in that though is that if he does go to the like of Bellator, his sponsors would lose a lot of interest in him and even if he managed to keep them at all, then he would be getting a lot less money from them. He is not a big enough name to be attracting big sponsorship money in a second tier organisation. He'd get decent enough money but nowhere near what he was on (pre-reeebok) in his prime in the UFC.

His stated reasons for stepping back from fighting are legit. Just doesnt pay him anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

John_D80 wrote: »
    Yeah the one major hole in that though is that if he does go to the like of Bellator, his sponsors would lose a lot of interest in him and even if he managed to keep them at all, then he would be getting a lot less money from them. He is not a big enough name to be attracting big sponsorship money in a second tier organisation. He'd get decent enough money but nowhere near what he was on (pre-reeebok) in his prime in the UFC.

His stated reasons for stepping back from fighting are legit. Just doesnt pay him anymore.

He'd make more fighting in Bellator than he does in the UFC, was my point. Or at least his potential earnings would be higher.

He's never going to be a world champion in the UFC, he knows that. He's never going to sell 800k ppv in the UFC, he knows that.
    Because of that he relies on his sponserships to make money from fighting. The UFC took that away from him. Bellator wouldn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Cant see him ever going back to fighting anyways to be honest. He took a few good beatings and that podcast with Joe Rogan has to have sunk in somewhat. Hes never gonna be a contender and his style of fighting means hes gonna take a few more big blows to the head where one more could be the one too many. Hes managed to carve a career path for himself outside of the UFC and at this stage it makes sense for him to just stick to that if hes going to step back from fighting in the UFC. While he says its about the sponsorship, and I am sure its a massive part in his decision as it just doesnt make getting punched in the head worth it anymore I think hes come around to the idea of knowing when to hang up the gloves too.

He'd make more fighting in Bellator than he does in the UFC, was my point. Or at least his potential earnings would be higher.

He's never going to be a world champion in the UFC, he knows that. He's never going to sell 800k ppv in the UFC, he knows that.
    Because of that he relies on his sponserships to make money from fighting. The UFC took that away from him. Bellator wouldn't.

I know what you were getting at but there is no way he would get anywhere near the same kind of sponsorship money he was on in the UFC. His old sponsors would have little or no interest in him anymore if he went to Bellator.

Going to Bellator would mean spending time away from his other business interests training for fights that pay him feck all compared to the money he is making at the moment. He has walked away but left the door open for himself. Best move for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If he got cut, went to Bellator and signed up to fight Kimbo Slice, he'd make a hell of a lot of money from sponsors let me tell you!

• Advertisement

Really? How so? He's not a big enough name regardless of where he came from to bring in big sponsorship with the likes of Bellator.

He was getting 100k sponsorship per fight in the UFC, according to himself. What could he seriously realistically expect with Bellator, even for a big fight against someone like Kimbo?

Even if he did get a decent 100k payday from a one off fight with the likes of kimbo, could he make that kind of money consistently enough to justify taking the time away from his other interests? Highly doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not consistently, no. But for a one off, sure! Is it worth his while? Definitely not.

The podcast is really great. I'm a big fan. And he seems to have a big future doing things that don't include him getting brain damage. He should stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Schaud mentioned on one of Rogan's Podcasts that he had lazer eye surgery and lied about it to the UFC, so there was never a hope of him having another fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

JJayoo wrote: »
    Schaud mentioned on one of Rogan's Podcasts that he had lazer eye surgery and lied about it to the UFC, so there was never a hope of him having another fight

Yeah he was done after that, wouldn't have got licensed to fight. Surprised they didn't give him a ban for lying on a medical form especially with something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Travis Browne confirms on The MMA Hour that he's dating Ronda. Ugh.

Also, someone got into Faber's house the other night, locked herself in his bathroom, passed out, and vomited and shat everywhere. :pac:

• Advertisement

Northcutt heading to Tristar.

ASOT wrote: »
    Northcutt heading to Tristar.

With the skillset he already has, training at somewhere like TriStar could genuinely make that lad into a monster at light weight.

Dana's wet dream is Northcutt vs McGregor for the LW title in the next 24 months some time.

With the skillset he already has, training at somewhere like TriStar could genuinely make that lad into a monster at light weight.

Dana's wet dream is Northcutt vs McGregor for the LW title in the next 24 months some time.

Totally agree, Zahabi is one if not the best coaches in the game, will turn him into a monster.

ASOT wrote: »
    Totally agree, Zahabi is one if not the best coaches in the game, will turn him into a monster.

Northcutt is that good looking clean cut jesus loving southern golden boy the UFC have been praying for for the last decade. They will basically turn him into the male PVZ and spend the next few years building the **** out of his brand to turn him into a household name.

He's got amazing marketing potential in the US, american corporations LOVE people like him. It's all about winning hearts and minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He's the next Tebow for sure, but he also has the talent to back it up. Fair play to him, he will be an excellent role model for kids getting into combat sports, don't have a bad word to say about the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

MMA Hour was very good today. Joe Duffy, Dillashaw, Northcutt, Travis Browne, Duane Ludwig (who is clearly a mental case, 10 seconds into his interview and he's kicking off with Helwani and he continues it for most of the interview :pac:), Hendricks, Cody Gardbrandt and others. Worth checking out.

http://www.mmafighting.com/mma-hour-full-episode

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

With the skillset he already has...
    martyos121 wrote: »
    ... but he also has the talent to back it up...
    I hate to sound like the early McGregor doubters. But is this talk of Northcutts skillset a little premature. He is in great physical shape, striking is on point, but his background was in karate. How much grappling has he done? (for all i know he's a blackbelt in bjj and was a standout highschool wrestler).
    He made his debut less than a year ago, he could have been training in MMA/BJJ/wrestling for a few years at this point, or maybe he was tearing up the local Texas scene on the back of his striking alone.

Edit: a quick google suggests his school is a Gracie Barra affiliate. And from the looks of things he's a competitive purple belt. So that answers that question...Back on the hype train guys :D

Mellor wrote: »
    I hate to sound like the early McGregor doubters. But is this talk of Northcutts skillset a little premature. He is in great physical shape, striking is on point, but his background was in karate. How much grappling has he done? (for all i know he's a blackbelt in bjj and was a standout highschool wrestler).
    He made his debut less than a year ago, he could have been training in MMA/BJJ/wrestling for a few years at this point, or maybe he was tearing up the local Texas scene on the back of his striking alone.

He's a nineteen year old purple belt in bjj. Hus grappling is pretty good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mellor wrote: »
    How much grappling has he done? (for all i know he's a blackbelt in bjj and was a standout highschool wrestler).

Apparently a purple belt in BJJ, some high school wrestling. High level karate obviously along with tae kwon do and kickboxing. So his skillset is pretty one dimensional at the minute but TriStar will definitely fill the gaps.

Edit:

Here he is in a grappling tournament at 17. Thats his sister Colbey with the camera in the background who looks exactly like him with longer hair. Shes fighting at 135 pounds in MMA

The style of karate he's a third degree black belt in also incorporates judo. Not sure how much exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's a nineteen year old purple belt in bjj. Hus grappling is pretty good.

Yeah I found that out. (see the edit above)
    A quick google turned up a bronze medal from an IBJJF tourney in Texas. Purple belt divisions. 11 entrants so he had to win 1 or 2 matches to get there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Hardly big news but it's been confirmed Travis Browne is going out with Ronda. Must suck to be Schaub right now.

Also Ronda gonna get mega heat about the allegations against Browne beating up his ex wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

weemcd wrote: »
    Hardly big news but it's been confirmed Travis Browne is going out with Ronda. Must suck to be Schaub right now.

Also Ronda gonna get mega heat about the allegations against Browne beating up his ex wife.

Whats the Schaub angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

weemcd wrote: »

A step down if u ask me. Browned ex was a stunner. At least ronda can defend herself

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

califano wrote: »
    Whats the Schaub angle?

Schaub was tapping that.

Sage is ridiculously nice, I hope the UFC keeps him away from bold boys like Bones Jones who might influence him. Good episode of MMA Hour below. Sage kept thanking Ariel everytime he was asked a question :) Also, Ariel said someone in Ireland got his phone number and pranked called him pretending to be Conor, fess up, who was it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Whats the Schaub angle?

Schaub is her ex but in my opinion he's well rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Schaub is her ex but in my opinion he's well rid.

She certainly likes the heavyweights.

I remember seeing her doing some media with Overeem when he was still on the horse meat and she was almost sliding off her seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

She certainly likes the heavyweights.

I remember seeing her doing some media with Overeem when he was still on the horse meat and she was almost sliding off her seat.

Makes her feel petite when in reality she's one pregnancy away from being Princess Fionas doppelganger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Whats the Schaub angle?

They used to go out. I remember before the Browne fight, Schaub mentioned that because Browne was now training out of the same camp as Rousey, this was a very good thing for him. I took it that he was hinting that he would have got some inside information from Rousey that would help him when it came to the match. Of course that didn't happen, Browne spanked Schaub and now Browne and Rousey are going out.

Imagine what a beast would be born with Browne and Rousey as parents.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    MMA Hour was very good today. Joe Duffy, Dillashaw, Northcutt, Travis Browne, Duane Ludwig (who is clearly a mental case, 10 seconds into his interview and he's kicking off with Helwani and he continues it for most of the interview :pac:), Hendricks, Cody Gardbrandt and others. Worth checking out.

http://www.mmafighting.com/mma-hour-full-episode

Excellent episode. Best in a long time.

Sage Northcutt is so many cheesy American stereotypes rolled into one, but its impossible to not like him. Very sound guy I reckon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement