Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gunni feints to the body, forcing Tatch to switch, and Gunni pounces as Tatch steps into it.

riRbqBA.gif

The whole sequence is perfect imo. I'd imagine that this was the result is something Gunni or John pick up on the tape. Tatch is way too casual and switches forward, right into range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'd made a post about the success of the SBG lads this weekend (James Gallagher, Lee Hammond, O'Driscoll and Elliot Levy) but my account decided not to post it. Anyway, four very good wins, all stoppages. Onwards and upwards. Congrats lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mellor wrote: »
    Gunni feints to the body, forcing Tatch to switch, and Gunni pounces as Tatch steps into it.

http://i.imgur.com/riRbqBA.gifv

The whole sequence is perfect imo. I'd imagine that this was the result is something Gunni or John pick up on the tape. Tatch is way too casual and switches forward, right into range.

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

moneyman wrote: »
    I'd made a post about the success of the SBG lads this weekend (James Gallagher, Lee Hammond, O'Driscoll and Elliot Levy) but my account decided not to post it. Anyway, four very good wins, all stoppages. Onwards and upwards. Congrats lads.

Do you know if James Gallagher had a 'fight' in Belfast about 18 months ago that his opponent quit the split second the bell rang? The name rings a bell but I'm not sure if it was him.....weirdest,shortest fight Ive ever seen if it was him

Devastator wrote: »
    Do you know if James Gallagher had a 'fight' in Belfast about 18 months ago that his opponent quit the split second the bell rang? The name rings a bell but I'm not sure if it was him.....weirdest,shortest fight Ive ever seen if it was him
    Yeah it was him.
    Opponent tapped the second the bell rang. Very strange, if there was an issue he should have pulled out outside the cage.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was him.
    Opponent tapped the second the bell rang. Very strange, if there was an issue he should have pulled out outside the cage.

Yeah I was at it(just wasn't sure if was the same lad), very strange indeed, nobody really knew what was going on. The other kid said he felt sick or something, which must be the fastest sickness to come on in history considering no more than 2/3 seconds previously the ref asked if he was ready to fight. Made sure he got his show money anyway :mad::rolleyes:

EDIT - Here it is if anyone is wondering WTF we're talking about

Made sure he got his show money anyway :mad::rolleyes:
    Amateur fight, no money involved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Fairplay man spit handshake undisclosed show money.

Amateur fight, no money involved

I thought he would have got something, be it only expenses for turning up....still a ****ty thing to do. The fight card fell apart and this just added to the audience frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There has to be a story behind that though, something has to have happened with the promoters or something and the fighter just decided "feck these guys".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah there has to be something going on there.

Has that other guy fought since? Surely you'd be a but reluctant as a promoter to book a guy who did that on his last trip out?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The fighter in question who tapped was Alex McCooke. He hasn't fought since. He was 1-1 going into that fight, won his first bout by submission and got KO'd in his second. He told Gallagher after the fight that he had a sore chest and didn't feel ready to fight.

I don't think he has ever commented on the record about it and this is just pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if he was "encouraged" to fight despite being hurt given how that card was torn to bits as pointed out by Devastator? Or maybe he just got too nervous fighting in front of such a crowd on his 3rd fight? I can't say I blame him if he did, I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to step in there.

John Kavanagh posted this about it on Facebook at the time:
    There was a strange incident on Saturday night but on reflection it's one that i'm surprised doesn't happen more. A young fighter tapped out just as the fight started. Have you stepped in a cage and fought in front of thousands where you risk being embarrassed or injured in front of family and loved ones? If you have not, then nothing I can say will even begin to describe the emotions you have in the days leading up to it which are amplified in the hours before you're called from your dressing room. You may have heard of the term 'fight or flight' but unless you have experienced it then you've no clue how much FLIGHT is the option you're whole being cries for. One of the most feared fighters of all time Iron Mike Tyson famously tried to escape his first contest by climbing out the bathroom window. There is a reason MMA has millions and millions of people who watch it but only a very select few who do it.

Cage Contender is a big show, rarely having less than 1500 in attendance. It is the coach's responsibility to keep his fighters on smaller shows until it's clear they are ready for that big step up. In amateur boxing they compete in front of a handful of people week in and week out. Usually just fellow boxers watching, maybe a friend who has paid a euro or two in. There is very little build up and not much emphasis placed on the result either. It's not until years and years at this level that the very very tiny percentage of fighters who graduate from this process may get to fight in front of thousands. In amateur MMA guys can potentially fight in front of thousands of paying, drinking, screaming fans on their first contest. This is way too much pressure in an already very emotional situation. They're not getting paid to entertain these people so shouldn't feel the urge to. Only after years of BJJ competition, MMA league, amateur boxing/kickboxing, wrestling etc should they even consider putting themselves into a situation where they will feel this. There's no rush and at end of the day you've nobody to impress except yourself.

If I could speak to that young fighter, I would tell him that the ones who matter still love you, it's just a sporting contest at the end of the day. Not that big of a deal. The ones who don't matter to you can say what they want, at the end of the day they don't matter! You're young and life is short so put this behind you, learn from it and move on. If you're ever in Dublin and want to train at SBG the door is always open and you will be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Yeah I was at it(just wasn't sure if was the same lad), very strange indeed, nobody really knew what was going on. The other kid said he felt sick or something, which must be the fastest sickness to come on in history considering no more than 2/3 seconds previously the ref asked if he was ready to fight. Made sure he got his show money anyway :mad::rolleyes:

EDIT - Here it is if anyone is wondering WTF we're talking about

Pull outs happen all the time, particularly at an amateur level where these guys are still getting to grips on the nerves that hit on the build up to a fight.

I have seen guys warming up and smashing pads like animals to all of a sudden go pale and start vomiting and pulling out of fights minutes before they were to walk out. The whole psychology of fight night prep is often left out and not discussed with fighters. Many young fighters have not experienced nausea brought around by nerves and genuinely think there is something wrong and they are sick and cannot fight. Little do they know almost everyone is feeling the same in different degrees.

This fighter was KO'd in his previous fight also. That is a traumatic experience for any fighter and it can take a long time time to mentally and physically come back from that. You might think you are fine only for the reality of the situation to hit you when you are in the cage.

I thought he would have got something, be it only expenses for turning up..
    I can't really comment on what the norm is in Ireland these days for ammy fights. But pro's have a hard enough time getting paid on CC cards ;)
    Pull outs happen all the time, particularly at an amateur level where these guys are still getting to grips on the nerves that hit on the build up to a fight.
    I think if he pulled out 10 mins prior nobody would have batted an eye. It's more the way it came about.

Who knows, maybe he felt sick. But he also felt bad on James, so he went out to the cage so Janes still got the official W.

Paully D wrote: »
    The fighter in question who tapped was Alex McCooke. He hasn't fought since. He was 1-1 going into that fight, won his first bout by submission and got KO'd in his second. He told Gallagher after the fight that he had a sore chest and didn't feel ready to fight.

I don't think he has ever commented on the record about it and this is just pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if he was "encouraged" to fight despite being hurt given how that card was torn to bits as pointed out by Devastator? Or maybe he just got too nervous fighting in front of such a crowd on his 3rd fight? I can't say I blame him if he did, I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to step in there.

John Kavanagh posted this about it on Facebook at the time:

I'm not sure how many people would have been in attendance. It was billed as in the Kings Hall(pretty big venue for anyone that knows it) but it was actually in a marquee in the grounds to the back. It was hard to tell because of the layout, there were quite a few empty seats but good few people just standing around also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/19/9562219/the-mma-hour-with-chris-weidman-in-studio-yoel-romero-firas-zahabi

Paddy on the MMA hour today around 7.25pm GMT. Also CM Punk will be on to discuss UFC Timetable. Could even be a date for his debut *COUGH ufc 200 COUGH wolf tickets COUGH*

Not sure why Chris Weidman is getting an hour slot, he's not THAT interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Sage Northcutt is now on the UFC Fight Night 80 card on December 10th against Cody Pfister.

The UFC are calling it "Paige and Sage". Fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sage Northcutt is now on the UFC Fight Night 80 card on December 10th against Cody Pfister.

The UFC are calling it "Paige and Sage". Fuck off.

How did you get f.ck in there?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How did you get f.ck in there?

Have to have over 10,000 posts before the swear filter turns off mate.

• Advertisement

Have to have over 10,000 posts before the swear filter turns off mate.

F#€k. I better get posting so

Its 10,000 quality posts though so you've still about 9900 to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Haha Fuck that. It's only turns off when you're trusted enough to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

scudzilla wrote: »
    All you have to do is send a PM to Dav (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=213423) asking him to lift the swear filter, he sorted it for me in seconds, very handy at times

Fuck that actually worked! :pac:

Fuck sake, are they turning it off for just anyone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I get ****ing nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Fuck, Dav lifted mine, said they are making it subscription only after January 1St though so you better get in there quick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

This whole fucking forum has gone to the fucking dogs. Bunch of cunts running the show here.

Shit

:p

• Advertisement

This whole fucking forum has gone to the fucking dogs. Bunch of cunts running the show here.

Shit

:p

God I really wanna fu[COLOR]cking curse. Oh wait.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement