Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Better than "USA! USA! USA!"

That does get a little tiring but most countries have their own chants, imagine if there was a UFC in Ireland every week, I'd be even more sick of 'Ole Ole Ole' than I already am!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That does get a little tiring but most countries have their own chants, imagine if there was a UFC in Ireland every week, I'd be even more sick of 'Ole Ole Ole' than I already am!

Yeah but the USA thing is only really when they want to cheer on a fighter from America when he's fighting someone who is not.

(That would happen here too but only because of the rarity of having an irish fighter fighting in Ireland in the UFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

For those of you with Android's BJ Penn has launched his own Android App, get it here http://bit.ly/sqHxLw

Dunno how good it is, only just installed it, but he does seem on top of all the up to date news on his FB page

I know it's old now but i've only gotten around to watching the first part of the UFC 137 video blog.

I love these knew Behind the Scenes vlogs where they're catching the fighters directly after the fights. Melvin Guillard's reaction is particularly interesting.

Now that Nick Diaz v GSP is pencilled in for Superbowl Weekend, I doubt Silva v sonnen will be on the same night. they have 2 potentially massive fights here, good v bad type fights that will have the PPV buys rolling in.

To put them on the same event would be crazy!

• Advertisement

Cowboy v Nate Diaz on Dec 30th

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Cowboy v Nate Diaz on Dec 30th

Link

That's a hell of a fight. If the LW division wasn't so stacked the winner would probably get a title shot. As it is I reckon the winner will need 1 more fight.

Any word on BJ's retirement? I heard rumours he's changed his mind.

I reckon Cowboy is next up should he win. Diaz might need 1 or more wins (unless he's as impressive as he was v Gomi)

Dunno about BJ but i read that Dana reckons he'll be back.

Dunno about BJ but i read that Dana reckons he'll be back.

I'm not so sure. He's 1-3-1 in his last 5, little or no chance of the WW title and lost twice to the current LW champ.

He said it himself he doesn't want to fight if he can't compete at the highest level and the stats suggest that he can't.

Unless he wants to get his lazy ass down to 145! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I see no point in BJ continuing. It's very hard as you get older to keep as focused as a young gun

Ok randy did it but he is the exception. A man in his early 20s with no wife or kids is in a whole different place mentally to someone who is in there mid to late 30s with responsibilities and a body that is starting to slow down plus probably has a host of injuries to contend with

The old guard has changes

Gone is cro cop, BJ, randy, chuck, fedor, nog best is gone, shogun was raped etc.. The young guns are coming through

Only guy from pride still rocking it is Anderson

• Advertisement

It's very hard as you get older to keep as focused as a young gun

So speaks the voice of experience... :D

I see no point in BJ continuing. It's very hard as you get older to keep as focused as a young gun

Ok randy did it but he is the exception. A man in his early 20s with no wife or kids is in a whole different place mentally to someone who is in there mid to late 30s with responsibilities and a body that is starting to slow down plus probably has a host of injuries to contend with

The old guard has changes

Gone is cro cop, BJ, randy, chuck, fedor, nog best is gone, shogun was raped etc.. The young guns are coming through

Only guy from pride still rocking it is Anderson

How long before somebody (maybe even Zuffa) picks these guys up and starts a Legend Tourney or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. He's 1-3-1 in his last 5, little or no chance of the WW title and lost twice to the current LW champ.

He said it himself he doesn't want to fight if he can't compete at the highest level and the stats suggest that he can't.

Unless he wants to get his lazy ass down to 145! :D

Or he could do a Roy Nelson and go up to Heavyweight.

It is truly amazing that someone who looks like Roy is one of the best fighters on the planet

He looked like a man ready to hit the tiles in that suit ready to do the electric boogaloo

He looked like a man ready to hit the tiles in that suit ready to do the electric boogaloo

That suit?
    roynelsonhobochic-460x258.jpg

or that suit?
    roy-nelson-13.jpg

Personally I prefer this suit.
    mirko-filipovic-roy-nelson.JPG

That last suit he borrowed from a lad used to train with us lol

That last suit he borrowed from a lad used to train with us lol

I only wish it was just a fat suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Aldo to fight mended at ufc 142 in Brazil.

the prime time show for ufc on fox was good

Any word on where UFC on Fox will show here?

Are we going to get the shaft with another "allegedly" free event on Setanta that ends up encrypted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any word on where UFC on Fox will show here?

Are we going to get the shaft with another "allegedly" free event on Setanta that ends up encrypted?

I have mailed Marshall Zelaznik - he normally responds fast to these sort of questions. Not name dropping he'll accept anyone on facebook :-)

• Advertisement

I have mailed Marshall Zelaznik - he normally responds fast to these sort of questions. Not name dropping he'll accept anyone on facebook :-)

Responded "Chances are Nov 5 will be on Setanta in Ireland and Premiere Sports network which is on Sky system. Otherwise UFC.com will be how to watch."

Shame the guy's a total gobshite and always avoids the 'difficult' questions.

I'm on his FB too but he tends to ignore any difficult questions i (and a few others like DrPhil) ask

I'll give Dana a call and get back to you shortly with the info.

loremolis wrote: »
    I'll give Dana a call and get back to you shortly with the info.

Nah it's grand he's coming around to mine later for dinner.

Nah it's grand he's coming around to mine later for dinner.

mzelanik@ufc.com - now can I come around for dinner too?

mzelanik@ufc.com - now can I come around for dinner too?

Red or White wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

belfort v rumble on for 142

should be good, big step up for johnson, he was doin well at 170 but a massive jump to take on a top 3 185er. Maybe dana wants a belfort win to set up silva/sonnen v belfort

I rang Dana.

She was still really p1ssed off over how she did in the election and didn't have the first clue as to whether UFC 138 would be on Setanta or ESPN.

She also said 138 was a crap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Responded "Chances are Nov 5 will be on Setanta in Ireland and Premiere Sports network which is on Sky system. Otherwise UFC.com will be how to watch."

So he said Setanta IN Ireland........so does that mean it'll be on free to view on Setanta Ireland or on Setanta Sports 1?
    I have Setanta Ireland obviously cause its free, but I don't have Setanta Sports 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Paul Taylor is off the 138 card.
    Paul Taylor has been forced to pull out of his UFC 138 lightweight fight against Anthony Njokuani due to an undisclosed injury suffered in a car accident on Monday, UFC officials confirmed with MMAFighting.com.

According to UFC.com, Taylor's car was rear-ended at a red light and he suffered whiplash. The injury is not considered to be career-threatening, but it was serious enough to keep him off the card. Due to the event being just five days away, Njokuani will be kept off the card.

ESPN UK first reported Taylor's removal from the card on Tuesday.

As a result, the Cyrille Diabate vs. Anthony Perosh light heavyweightfight has been bumped up to the main card, which will air live via tape delay in the United States on Spike TV.

The Frenchman Diabate (17-7-1) is 2-1 inside the Octagon. He most recently defeated Steve Cantwell at UFC Live on Versus 3 in March.

The Australian Perosh (11-6) is 1-3 in the UFC. He defeated Tom Blackledge at UFC 127 in February to earn his first UFC win. He was scheduled to meet Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 131, however, he pulled out of the fight due to an eye injury.

UFC 138 takes place Saturday night from LG Arena in Birmingham, England, headlined by Mark Munoz vs. Chris Leben.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/11/01/paul-taylor-injured-in-car-accident-off-ufc-138/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement