Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    More often than not high level grapplers nulify each others game and we get a stand up match. But personally I'd dying to see this one on the ground. I think Gunni can take him, and it would be a huge statement.

Like everyone who puts on a Gi and likes to roll (:o) I have watched a lot of Gunni and Maia and I think that Maia is just on another level to Gunni to be honest. He's a 4th degree black belt under Gurgel, that's a serious accomplishment. He's not quite on the Marcelo Garcia/Kron Gracie/Andre Galvao/Cyborg Abreu level, but he's not far off it. He's a step above the Gunnar/Hall/Glover level though.

But sure lookit, it's not a grappling match, hopefully there's a few big strikes, a few epic take downs, some savage guard passing and a few attempts to finish on the ground, it drags out over a few rounds and doesn't end up being the two lads on the matt cancelling each other out!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

More often than not high level grapplers nulify each others game and we get a stand up match. But personally I'd dying to see this one on the ground. I think Gunni can take him, and it would be a huge statement.

Know him well, do you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have watched a lot of Gunni and Maia and I think that Maia is just on another level to Gunni to be honest. He's a 4th degree black belt under Gurgel, that's a serious accomplishment. He's not quite on the Marcelo Garcia/Kron Gracie/Andre Galvao/Cyborg Abreu level, but he's not far off it. He's a step above the Gunnar/Hall/Glover level though.
    Gunni Gunnar beat Jeff Monson when he was brown belt - that was massive at the time. He had been training for 4 years at that stage, and he's been training 10 years now. I honestly don't think we've seen how good he really is yet.

I probably watched more gi matchs for Maia, and more nogi for Nelson. So maybe I'm being bias. But you also have to consider that Gunni stopped competing shortly after getting his blackbelt (2009). So you are mostly comparing his brown belt era with 5 or 6 years of Maia's competing at black.

Don't get me wrong Maia is phenomenal too. One of the top 3 BJJ fighters in MMA imo. However "4th degree" means nothing really. It's just a indication of time. Gunnar is potentially 2nd degree at this stage FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Rumble v Bader headlines UFC on Fox Jan 30th, can't wait for this. Bader will try wrestle him like Davis and Rumble will do the business again.

Ellenberger v Saffiedine the first fight announced for it.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/4/9672618/jake-ellenberger-vs-tarec-saffiedine-three-other-fights-added-to-ufc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

ASOT wrote: »
    Rumble v Bader headlines UFC on Fox Jan 30th, can't wait for this. Bader will try wrestle him like Davis and Rumble will do the business again.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/4/9672618/jake-ellenberger-vs-tarec-saffiedine-three-other-fights-added-to-ufc

I've absolutely no time for Bader. To think he'll get a shot at the belt with a win here is a joke and really shows how weak the LHW division is. The guy is the Cathal Pendred of LHW.

• Advertisement

I've absolutely no time for Bader. To think he'll get a shot at the belt with a win here is a joke and really shows how weak the LHW division is. The guy is the Cathal Pendred of LHW.

Fairly confident he won't be rumble, but I have the same feelings as yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nice, Rumble might literally knock him back to reality.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Nice, Rumble might literally knock him back to reality.

He and Joe Silva need it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I've absolutely no time for Bader....The guy is the Cathal Pendred of LHW.

I hope by that you mean for a spectator and not in terms of ability :D

Exactly.
    Bader is a beast, he's just not "exciting".
    To be honest I don't give a toss how people win, if they win, they deserve it, it's fighting not cliff diving.

• Advertisement

Exactly.
    Bader is a beast, he's just not "exciting".
    To be honest I don't give a toss how people win, if they win, they deserve it, it's fighting not cliff diving.

I'd usually agree but anytime Fitch fought and won it was depressing, along with a few others Bader included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Fairly confident he won't be rumble, but I have the same feelings as yourself!

He will try wrestle him till he breaks. Like DC did.

If bader keeps winning he deserves his title shot on merit.

Miesha tate is the same

Yeah sorry. The guy is clearly talented but he's just terrible in every aspect at the same time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Bit Harsh, if he beats Rumble then he will be on a 6 fight streak and IMO will def deserve a title shot.

Doubt he has a hope against Rumble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I know Rumble got DC'd, but Rumble vs. Jones really is a FIGHT. Especially with the videos Jones is putting up of him in the gym, lifting weights like a mafúcka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I know Rumble got DC'd, but Rumble vs. Jones really is a FIGHT. Especially with the videos Jones is putting up of him in the gym, lifting weights like a mafúcka

It would be a fight for one maybe one round. The Rumble will gas and Jones will tear him apart.

Rumble would be an idiot to agree to fight Jones when DC is the champ.

Anyone who isn't DC who agrees to fight Jones right now is a moron. Unless they are already falling out of the top 5 and know they need to make that paper before retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone know how ticket sales have been going for UFC 193?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone know how ticket sales have been going for UFC 193?

I think if the sales were going well, it would have been rammed down our throats by now. Ronda is a big star in public but I don't think two women's fights for the main and Co main was going to be sufficient. If you compare to 129, you had the hometown hero GSP in the main event, aldo in the Co main, as well as Couture vs Machida. Thats the type of card you should have for a massive stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Rumble would be an idiot to agree to fight Jones when DC is the champ.

Rumble is hardly the brightest peanut in the turd though is he

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

scudzilla wrote: »
    Rumble is hardly the brightest peanut in the turd though is he

That's probably how he speaks about women too. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

The Wolfe Tones may regret asking Reebok to design their new aran jumpers

CTErJJQWoAAQvvi.jpg:large

Devastator wrote: »
    The Wolfe Tones may regret asking Reebok to design their new aran jumpers

CTErJJQWoAAQvvi.jpg:large

hahahah, I'd say the lads would lose the plot if they saw that.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I think if the sales were going well, it would have been rammed down our throats by now. Ronda is a big star in public but I don't think two women's fights for the main and Co main was going to be sufficient. If you compare to 129, you had the hometown hero GSP in the main event, aldo in the Co main, as well as Couture vs Machida. Thats the type of card you should have for a massive stadium
    You also have a much bigger population in Canada and northern US. Not so much in australia. I always said it would be slow to sell out. 60k seats is a lot in city of 4 million people. Relying largely on I terstatefave to sell it out. I imagine it will sell out this week though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

It's in talks. We're talking Croke Park now shortly, it looks like Croke Park this year. Croke Park or Aviva but it will be big.

Conor on box nation

Good to see the Aviva mentioned think it has a better chance!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the Aviva would be better for fans too as in Croker you're much further back from the action.

but1er wrote: »
    It's in talks. We're talking Croke Park now shortly, it looks like Croke Park this year. Croke Park or Aviva but it will be big.

Conor on box nation

Good to see the Aviva mentioned think it has a better chance!

Look, no matter what Conor, Dana, your mam, your cousin Mary or who ever else says, there will NEVER be a UFC night in Croke Park or the Aviva, and rightly so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Look, no matter what Conor, Dana, your mam, your cousin Mary or who ever else says, there will NEVER be a UFC night in Croke Park or the Aviva, and rightly so.

Why rightly so?

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Why rightly so?

Because thousands of people have to live in the area, their lives are already interrupted several times per year with GAA matches and concerts, which have agreed conditions and end times. Having a UFC night ending in the middle of the night to suit the US PPV market would be taking the piss completely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement