Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Because thousands of people have to live in the area, their lives are already interrupted several times per year with GAA matches and concerts, which have agreed conditions and end times. Having a UFC night ending in the middle of the night to suit the US PPV market would be taking the piss completely.

Similar to the many nightclubs and late bars in Dublin whose noisy patrons already disrupt the local residents at silly hours?

You'd need a long ladder to get down off that high horse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Agreed, but if there is one to happen and McGregor is right you can be sure UFC will bend on the US PPV and have the event earlier. Theres simply no way it happens in Ireland otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

martyos121 wrote: »
    Similar to the many nightclubs and late bars in Dublin whose noisy patrons already disrupt the local residents at silly hours?

There's a difference between a few hundred people emptying out of a nightclub at 3am and 82,300 people emptying out of Croke Park at 4-5am to suit the US TV market.

Be realistic FFS.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

How many nightclubs do you know in Dublin in residential areas?

I'd love to see a big UFC night in Croke Park with a big Irish card, but it's never going to happen.

• Advertisement

By no means do I think the event will happen, I want it to happen, but it really won't.

As far as me being realistic, I don't think it's so unfair to inconvenience the residents for one late night. Yes I'm aware damage may be caused, and that's not at all what I want to happen, but I just don't see why the curfew has to be adhered to so strictly for what's going to be a lot of money coming into the city.

And there of plenty of late bars (ok maybe not nightclubs, I'll admit defeat in that one) in and around estates, on the edge of the city. The city is full of drunks every night, it won't be anything new. Plus, if it were to take place, it would be over by 1 or 2 AM as a compromise, no way would it go until 4.

By no means do I think the event will happen, I want it to happen, but it really won't.

As far as me being realistic, I don't think it's so unfair to inconvenience the residents for one late night. Yes I'm aware damage may be caused, and that's not at all what I want to happen, but I just don't see why the curfew has to be adhered to so strictly for what's going to be a lot of money coming into the city.

And there of plenty of late bars (ok maybe not nightclubs, I'll admit defeat in that one) in and around estates, on the edge of the city. The city is full of drunks every night, it won't be anything new. Plus, if it were to take place, it would be over by 1 or 2 AM as a compromise, no way would it go until 4.

Your "logic" is ridiculous.

Sorry, but there's no other way to describe it.

Your "logic" is ridiculous.

Sorry, but there's no other way to describe it.

Well if you'd explain why it's ridiculous, we could have a worthwhile conversation about this. I'm not explicitly saying my ideas are correct, or my "logic", I'm interested in why you're looking for reasons for it not to happen, rather than look at the benefits of it.

but I just don't see why the curfew has to be adhered to so strictly for what's going to be a lot of money coming into the city.

The law and precedence are the simple reasons. Once they let an event go past the curfew then there is a precedence and the residents will be up in arms that other events will be allowed so there is simply a blanket ban on it. They need to keep the residents on side or they have another Gareth Brooks fiasco on their hands when it comes to having concerts during the year. We can all agree that there isnt a chance of a late night event happening and common sense says there wont be any bending on the rules, if an event is to happen it will have to end in line with the curfew the same as anything else. Im sure the UFC are looking at the fact if McGregor is champion and defending his belt they will still do decent PPV numbers in the US with the draw he has and that they would be willing to have the event at hours that suit and take the hit.

Axwell wrote: »
    The law and precedence are the simple reasons. Once they let an event go past the curfew then there is a precedence and the residents will be up in arms that other events will be allowed so there is simply a blanket ban on it. They need to keep the residents on side or they have another Gareth Brooks fiasco on their hands when it comes to having concerts during the year. We can all agree that there isnt a chance of a late night event happening and common sense says there wont be any bending on the rules, if an event is to happen it will have to end in line with the curfew the same as anything else. Im sure the UFC are looking at the fact if McGregor is champion and defending his belt they will still do decent PPV numbers in the US with the draw he has and that they would be willing to have the event at hours that suit and take the hit.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't trying to be confrontational with anyone, just genuinely interested in why nothing could seemingly be done about the situation. It seems there isn't one suitable venue in Ireland for the event in that case, because regardless of the time of day/night, people will be coming out of it hammered, and I can't think of a suitable stadium not in a residential area in the country. What annoys me is that some people assume the drunkeness won't be there if the event finishes at 11pm. Of course it will, and it won't be significantly better than it would be at 2 or 3 AM, because they'll just start earlier. Of course there are other reasons than drunk and disorderly behaviour too.

As far as changing the hours to suit the US, the only way it could be done is to air it as a UFC on FOX card, and miraculously convince the networks executives that they'll pull in huge numbers, because the event isn't going to sell enough over there on PPV. They have a huge casual west coast fan base who won't be getting up in the AM to watch fights, and the more serious fans would be insulted by a tape delay PPV, especially one so big.

• Advertisement

It seems there isn't one suitable venue in Ireland for the event in that case, because regardless of the time of day/night, people will be coming out of it hammered, and I can't think of a suitable stadium not in a residential area in the country. What annoys me is that some people assume the drunkeness won't be there if the event finishes at 11pm. Of course it will, and it won't be significantly better than it would be at 2 or 3 AM, because they'll just start earlier. Of course there are other reasons than drunk and disorderly behaviour too.

People coming out of it drunk isnt the concern in those venues, its the noise levels that late at night. Thats the reason it wont happen, people will be drinking and will be drunk regardless of whether its over at 11pm or 2am but thats not the reason these curfews are in place, its about noise levels in residential areas.

As far as changing the hours to suit the US, the only way it could be done is to air it as a UFC on FOX card, and miraculously convince the networks executives that they'll pull in huge numbers, because the event isn't going to sell enough over there on PPV. They have a huge casual west coast fan base who won't be getting up in the AM to watch fights, and the more serious fans would be insulted by a tape delay PPV, especially one so big.

I guess you have to look at it this way, if McGregor wins then he will want a fight here in Dublin to defend his title. UFC will want to keep him happy and if that means taking a hit on PPV numbers I feel they will have to just suck it up. As you say then they might have to consider putting it on Fox as a compromise. But the only way an event happens is within normal curfew hours, there is no other option.

Axwell wrote: »
    I guess you have to look at it this way, if McGregor wins then he will want a fight here in Dublin to defend his title. UFC will want to keep him happy and if that means taking a hit on PPV numbers I feel they will have to just suck it up. As you say then they might have to consider putting it on Fox as a compromise. But the only way an event happens is within normal curfew hours, there is no other option.

I've always accepted that the event would have to take place under curfew, regardless of my objections to it, the residents will always get their way, even if people like myself think they're being a little harsh (I do have a better understanding though of their point of view, thanks to your post).

The issue is that I think this is the one reason it will never happen. Regardless of Conor's star power, they won't take such a huge financial hit for anyone on the roster, even Rousey IMO. A Croke Park event is extremely doable, which is frustrating, but I get the feeling it's PPV or not at all for this, because if Conor's fighting, it won't be a Fight Night and without him they won't come anywhere close to selling Croker out. The compromise is UFC on FOX, but that's a little more complex than they'd like it to be, due to ad revenue and target marketing for that time of day/morning in the US.

Now if they were to hold it in Slane......

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Because thousands of people have to live in the area, their lives are already interrupted several times per year with GAA matches and concerts, which have agreed conditions and end times. Having a UFC night ending in the middle of the night to suit the US PPV market would be taking the piss completely.
    Nobody mentioned having it at 5am to suit US PPV market. Currently that's not an option. A ufc event is no more disruptive that an other event in Croker that have been going on since the 1880s.

What time will UFC 193 start Irish time?

Main card 3 AM, same as usual. They have it on in the morning/afternoon over in Australia to suit them since Pacific time is 19 hours behind Melbourne time.

No change at all. Fights start at 10.15 local time (sunday), which is also normal time in Australia for MMA.
    10:15 a.m. – First bout begins on UFC FIGHT PASS™
    12:00 p.m. – Prelims live on FOX Sports Australia
    2:00 p.m. – Main card live on pay-per-view
    6:00 p.m. (Approx.)– UFC® 193concludes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mellor wrote: »
    No change at all. Fights start at 10.15 local time (sunday), which is also normal time in Australia for MMA.

Said it before the last time there was an early (local time) card, I think it was Japan, but that must be torture for the fighters used to EST or similar.

Fighting between 10:15am-12pm if you're on the Fight Pass prelims. Even the likes of Struve v Rosholt kicking off the main card at 2pm :eek: I wonder will it be much of an advantage for Whittaker against Hall for example with that fight kicking off at 2:30pm?

I notice it usually kills the atmosphere a bit too.

It's always been that way for Australian events. So its not unusual for the 8 or so Aussie fighters who are more used to fighting on the Oz, NZ, Japan cards.
    If anything, fighting in the afternoon would help performance rather than hinder it. As the fighters have a full day after weigh-ins to re-fuel and rehydrate. Then sleep, then a few hours to prepare. Rather than the reverse at a typical nigh event.

I honestly don't think it affects the atmosphere. Watching the UFC on a sunday afternoon in the pub is the norm here. The crowd in Japan was dull, just that's just the Japanese way. They were super quiet in old pride events too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Cro Cop has had to pull out of not only Fight Night 79 but has announced his retirement as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus Reebok just let him wear his chequered shorts FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mirko nooooooooooooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cro Cop has had to pull out of not only Fight Night 79 but has announced his retirement as well :(

Sounds like a bad injury or something contractual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

now thats upsetting news, was really looking forward to this fight

I wonder how many people already have a strike due to the whereabouts rule or if anyone will end up coming unstuck because of a 3 strike violation?:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/10/9704240/ufc-donald-cerrone-missed-usada-drug-test-violation-whereabouts-policy-mma-news
    Donald Cerrone appears to have fallen victim to his own lifestyle.

The UFC lightweight title challenger revealed on the Pirate Life podcast that he failed his first drug test recently because he didn't report his whereabouts to the United States Anti-Doping Agency ahead of time.

According to Cerrone, sample collectors showed up at his doorstep shortly after he decided to take a spontaneous trip to Las Vegas, Nevada.

"In the new testing, you have to tell them [UFC/USADA] your whereabouts," Cerrone revealed. "F***, I don't know where I'm going to be. They show up to my house and are like ‘where are you this weekend?' It was on the weekend that I went to Vegas on a whim.

"They were like ‘where are you?' and I was like ‘I'm in Vegas'. And they were like ‘we're at your house'. And I was like ‘well that sucks.'"

"So I failed. I failed my drug test."

Cerrone received a 'whereabouts failure' for his decision not to report his projected location. Missed tests and filing failures are considered ‘whereabouts failures.' It should be noted that, according to the USADA website, "any combination of three whereabouts failures (filing failures and/or missed tests), declared by USADA, WADA or an IF, within a 12 month period = Anti-Doping Rule Violation".

However, given that this was Cerrone's first violation, it will not affect his title shot against Rafael dos Anjos at UFC on FOX 17.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know the ins and outs but I would have thought if he updated his itinerary as he was going to the airport he'd have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Paully D wrote: »
    I wonder how many people already have a strike due to the whereabouts rule or if anyone will end up coming unstuck because of a 3 strike violation?:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/10/9704240/ufc-donald-cerrone-missed-usada-drug-test-violation-whereabouts-policy-mma-news

Article says its his first violation. Didnt he fail a test years ago as well?? For a masking agent/diuretic?

Pretty sure he did anyway. Apologies if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Article means first whereabouts violation. But I'm fairly sure your right re the previous failed test.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't know the ins and outs but I would have thought if he updated his itinerary as he was going to the airport he'd have been fine.
    Yeah I think that's all he needed to do.
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Article says its his first violation. Didnt he fail a test years ago as well?? For a masking agent/diuretic?

Pretty sure he did anyway. Apologies if I'm wrong.
    Yeah, for a diuretic in the WEC

CatFromHue wrote: »

Yep, very simple but Cowboy being Cowboy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If that was RDA there'd be a **** storm even though Cowboy is the one who's actually been caught trying to mask something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement