Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    If that was RDA there'd be a **** storm even though Cowboy is the one who's actually been caught trying to mask something.
    That didn't happened, the trying to mask something part.
    He was using a diuretic to help make weight.

And afaik when they rang Cowboy to a see where he was, he offer to meet somebody in Vegas to give a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    That didn't happened, the trying to mask something part.
    He was using a diuretic to help make weight.

And afaik when they rang Cowboy to a see where he was, he offer to meet somebody in Vegas to give a sample.

Diuretic acts as a masking agent, so it's also plausible that he wanted to make sure he pissed clean for the post fight drug test.

I don't think he was cheating either but btw, just a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Crazy that he has to report his whereabouts, like a criminal on a tag.He's a free man a professional athlete.If people want to test him for PEDs they should come to him where ever he is and have to sit at home waiting for them to call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

dave1982 wrote: »
    Crazy that he has to report his whereabouts, like a criminal on a tag.He's a free man a professional athlete.If people want to test him for PEDs they should come to him where ever he is and have to sit at home waiting for them to call

They do go to him, but they can't if they don't know where he is.

If USADA are anything like their Irish equivalent he could have phoned, texted, emailed or used an online system to update them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Clive wrote: »
    They do go to him, but they can't if they don't know where he is.

If USADA are anything like their Irish equivalent he could have phoned, texted, emailed or used an online system to update them.

I know a few athletes who compete under USADA monitoring and they just need to leave a voice mail. If they're going to a city they only have to give the address they'll be staying at and the address they'll be training at and make sure their phone is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Same for most professional athletes these days it's even more ridiculous for track & field people. Once a sport commits to wada rules everyone has to commit to the process just the way it is. It's for the good of the game at the end of the day.

At least no ban has been dished out like has been seen in other sports. Good to see some sense.

It's a 3 strike system for WADA so that's strike one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It must have slipped Cro-Cop's mind to mention the fact that he failed a USADA drugs test prior to his retirement :rolleyes:

The first fighter to fail due to drugs under the new testing administration. Future table quiz question in years to come right there.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/11/officials-recently-retired-cro-cop-first-ufc-fighter-to-fail-usada-drug-test?utm_source=fb-CROCOPFAILTEST&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebook
    Mirko Filipovic might be officially retired from MMA, but it appears “Cro Cop” will soon be suspended from competing in the sport, as well.

UFC officials today announced the veteran heavyweight is the first athlete to be flagged for a potential violation of the company’s new anti-doping policy, which is administered by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). The substance found in Filipovic’s system was not revealed.

Filipovic (31-11-2 MMA, 5-6 UFC) announced his MMA retirement – making no mention of a failed drug test – earlier this week. UFC officials today said his planned UFC Fight Night 79 bout with Anthony Hamilton (14-4 MMA, 2-2 UFC) has been canceled. Rather than seek a replacement opponent on short notice, Hamilton instead will be be rebooked on a later card.

UFC Fight Night 79 takes place Nov. 28 at Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul. The entire event streams on UFC Fight Pass. “Cro Cop” vs. Hamilton was slated as the night’s co-headliner. A replacement bout hasn’t been announced.

In an announcement posted on his official website on Tuesday, Filipovic said a shoulder injury forced him to pull out of the fight.

“I tried to save a shoulder injury and repair in all possible ways: daily therapy, injections of blood plasma and various cocktails of drugs but didn’t work out,” the 41-year-old Croatian wrote. “The only cure would be a break of two to three weeks, and that I could not afford in the midst of final preparations. By daily trainings the injury gets worse. Part of the muscle is snapped, the shoulder is filled with a lot of fluids, and the great danger is that tendon ruptures and then go to operation again.”

“Cro Cop,” a former star in the now-defunct Japanese fight promotion PRIDE, made a long-awaited UFC debut in 2007 but went 1-2 and made a quick departure. He then returned in 2009 and went 3-4 and announced his retirement, but it was short-lived, and he returned to kickboxing and then MMA. In April, he joined the UFC for a third stint and earned a “Fight of the Night” bonus for his TKO win over Gabriel Gonzaga. It then led to the booking against Hamilton.

However, injuries – a constant nuisance in the second half of his career – again became an issue in recent years.

After a decorated run in combat sports, his career now carries an unfortunate footnote. The UFC launched its anti-doping initiative back in July, and though more than a hundred fighters had undergone tests, none had failed a USADA-administered drug test prior to Filipovic.

I wish they'd reveal the substance though. Is it going to be similar to the NFL in which the league can't declare what the player actually failed for, hence players claiming they'd just been taking Adderall when most likely they were taking something far more performance enhancing?

I'm honestly not sure if you are serious?

If Vitor was training somewhere in Brazil, would you accept that its up to the testers to "try to find him."

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure if you are serious?

If Vitor was training somewhere in Brazil, would you accept that its up to the testers to "try to find him."

Not sure if we on bout same thing, I made no mention of Vitor? I'll use Vitor as a example. Although not the best example as he has previous for failing testing and being allowed TRT.

Would I expect Vitor in the middle of his camp to attend a random drug test in America ? No I would not. I'd expect testers to contact Vitor and say " we need you for a test, We will be at gym in Brazil within the next 24 hours. Doubt he could flush his system in that time

Same goes for Conor, if they want to test him they come to him.

Whole point of random testing is surprise element. I don't think fighters should have to give testers their whereabouts for every hour of every day

Not sure if we on bout same thing, I made no mention of Vitor?
    I never said you mentioned Vitor. I brought up Vitor as an example, the basic rules have to be the same for all fighters.
    Would I expect Vitor in the middle of his camp to attend a random drug test in America ?
    Who said he would have to go anywhere to attend a drug test? The testers always come to the fighter.
    That's what happened with Cowboy, they came to him, he wasn't there.
    And Vitor is based with Blackzillians in Florida btw.
    No I would not. I'd expect testers to contact Vitor and say " we need you for a test, We will be at gym in Brazil within the next 24 hours. Doubt he could flush his system in that time
    Probably not flush it. But he'd be able to get out of town and say "sorry guys can't make it, I'm not in florida, I'm training with Carlson in Rio while I visit my family". Or be anywhere else that's not his gym - like a trip to Vegas (Cowboy)
    Same goes for Conor, if they want to test him they come to him.
    That's exactly what does happen. But how can they come to him if they don't know where he is?
    They turn up in Dublin, ring Conor to arrange a test. "I'm actually in Iceland with Gunnar"
    Whole point of random testing is surprise element. I don't think fighters should have to give testers their whereabouts for every hour of every day
    They don't have to give there whereabouts for every hour of every day.
    It's basically home address and gym address, updated every 3 months. If you go out of town, you let them know where you are staying.

Sounds like you are either misunderstanding what happened with Cowboy, or what fighters are being asked to do.

Cowboy was in a different state. It wasn't like he was visiting his granny a couple of hours away he had to board a plane and fly somewhere else. WADA even have an app that you can log your whereabouts with. He's in fight camp and this isn't a new procedure so you'd think an experienced fighter like him wouldn't have forgot.

Paully D wrote: »
    It must have slipped Cro-Cop's mind to mention the fact that he failed a USADA drugs test prior to his retirement :rolleyes:

The first fighter to fail due to drugs under the new testing administration. Future table quiz question in years to come right there.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/11/officials-recently-retired-cro-cop-first-ufc-fighter-to-fail-usada-drug-test?utm_source=fb-CROCOPFAILTEST&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebook

I wish they'd reveal the substance though. Is it going to be similar to the NFL in which the league can't declare what the player actually failed for, hence players claiming they'd just been taking Adderall when most likely they were taking something far more performance enhancing?

Cro Crop said this in a recent interview:
    “I tried to save a shoulder injury and repair in all possible ways: daily therapy, injections of blood plasma and various cocktails of drugs but didn’t work out,”

I think I've asked this before but is blood spinning legal under WADA?

Cowboy was in a different state. It wasn't like he was visiting his granny a couple of hours away he had to board a plane and fly somewhere else. WADA even have an app that you can log your whereabouts with. He's in fight camp and this isn't a new procedure so you'd think an experienced fighter like him wouldn't have forgot.
    Exactly. It's really basic info. If you aren't at home let them know. They have an app for it, or you can text it in.

Cowboy isn't even complaining, he messed up. It's not an issue unless he does it again.
    Cro Crop said this in a recent interview:
    Just read that now. "in all possible ways" and "cocktails of drugs” is fairly evident of what happened.
    I think I've asked this before but is blood spinning legal under WADA?
    Currently legal, it's injecting blood without the red blood cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Teaser trailer for EA UFC 2, anyone else looking forward to this?

First one was flawed but I actually quite liked it. Just hope they flesh out the roster.

Edit: Oops, hadn't seen the dedicated thread

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

maximoose wrote: »
    Teaser trailer for EA UFC 2, anyone else looking forward to this?

First one was flawed but I actually quite liked it. Just hope they flesh out the roster.

Thread here for it as people didn't want game chat in the General UFC thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057458360

Big reveal happening tomorrow showing off the new features. Ultimate Team has been spotted so it looks like you make a Gym, create a group of fighters and build your rep. Mad to know more about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Petermc83

if it was RDS missing a drug test..how different would we all look at the situation?!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Was watching OneFC from Singapore earlier when i came across an interesting scoring concept. Think it was a womens straw weight fight over 3rds but it wasnt to be scored rd by rd but rather by a cumulative performance total.
    Was wondering could this be considered and possibly taken on more widely in mma?.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

califano wrote: »
    Was watching OneFC from Singapore earlier when i came across an interesting scoring concept. Think it was a womens straw weight fight over 3rds but it wasnt to be scored rd by rd but rather by a cumulative performance total.
    Was wondering could this be considered and possibly taken on more widely in mma?.
    isnt that just the old Pride system?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

isnt that just the old Pride system?

Oh was it, Pride was before my time. Seems like a good way to score it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Jaysus Norman Parke is some ****ing idiot..made a tweet about dying for some french toast midst everything thats going on in Paris right now. Then deleted it saying he didnt know what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Axwell wrote: »
    Jaysus Norman Parke is some ****ing idiot..made a tweet about dying for some french toast midst everything thats going on in Paris right now. Then deleted it saying he didnt know what had happened.

I hate him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Axwell wrote: »

He's in bad need of a good kick up the cnut.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

califano wrote: »
    Oh was it, Pride was before my time. Seems like a good way to score it.
    Pride used to have a strange round structure too though iirc, one 10 minute round and one 5 min.

I like the scoring system too, although it was by no means perfect. If there was one rule I could bring back from Pride though it would have to be the yellow card system, 10% of your money lost for inactivity, I think that would be great in the UFC, not even just for people stalling but those awful fights where no one wants to engage

I was out for a few drinks with mates last night and ended up chatting about the card tonight as we both practice martial arts and watch a bit of MMA.

He asks me what I think of the two main events and I said "Joanna and Ronda will murder those poor girls, if it was a boxing match Holly would win easily but it's not, she doesn't have a hope in hell".
    He said "yeah, it's a bit mad. Like when you think of it, Ronda would probably beat most men at 135".

I had to stop him before he went on and ask if he really believed Ronda would beat men from the 135 division in the UFC and he as like "for sure she would". I named a few and he was like "I think she'd beat them, yeah, probably lose to the likes of Dillashaw and Cruz but she could take the likes of Holohan and Faber".

I had to move the conversation on to something else as I couldn't believe he actually thinks she'd even be able to compete against men at that level. Jesus.

I kinda agree with him

I kinda agree with him

You think Ronda could beat any of the male 135 roster?

Are you mental?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You think Ronda could beat any of the male 135 roster?

Are you mental?

This was discussed in detail a few months back. Personally I don't think she would

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement