Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Reports out of Brazil say UFC 197 is March 5th - Anderson Silva Vs Vitor Belfort II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Reports out of Brazil say UFC 197 is March 5th - Anderson Silva Vs Vitor Belfort II

When is Sonnen back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Bit stupid having him on posters last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just the start of it, i reckon most of the irish crowd will be cut sometime next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

califano wrote: »

gutting enough Id say, definitely deserved a crack at lightweight, did the ufc a massive favour taking the fight with bektic for his debut and was doing well against whiteford till he got that shot in, fairly hard done by really. Id imagine he'll get another crack at it at some stage though definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That's sickening for Redser. He's only been talking recently as if he had pretty much been promised another fight. He came in on short notice in his first fight vs a real prospect in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Three divisons on next season of TUF. Women's 115 & 135 with Mens 205.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/23/9784600/the-ultimate-fighter-23-tryouts-open-for-both-womens-divisions-mens

Would hazard a guess it will be JJ for 115 while her hand heals, HH while she waits for UFC 200 & Havnt a clue for 205, Gus would be a good shout I'd say but not sure against who, Joneses V DC would smash ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ASOT wrote: »
    Three divisons on next season of TUF. Women's 115 & 135 with Mens 205.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/23/9784600/the-ultimate-fighter-23-tryouts-open-for-both-womens-divisions-mens

Would hazard a guess it will be JJ for 115 while her hand heals, HH while she waits for UFC 200 & Havnt a clue for 205, Gus would be a good shout I'd say but not sure against who, Joneses V DC would smash ratings.

No matter what the weights there will still only be 2 coaches..i think

scudzilla wrote: »
    No matter what the weights there will still only be 2 coaches..i think

Was thinking that myself but they could go all out and have 4 coaches, wouldn't surprise me ratings will take a dive from last season anyway unless they do something good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

3 divisions seems a bit chaotic. Not even a guess who the coaches might be.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    3 divisions seems a bit chaotic. Not even a guess who the coaches might be.

That's what I'm thinking it's going to be a bit weird like having that many fighters training etc

I saw they worded it as open tryouts for women 115/135. Maybe this will be their way of introducing the 125 division .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I saw they worded it as open tryouts for women 115/135. Maybe this will be their way of introducing the 125 division .

was thinking it could be something like that aswel

"THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER® 23 TRYOUTS
    Tryouts for The Ultimate Fighter season 23 are currently open to FEMALES in the Strawweight (115lbs) and Bantamweight (135lbs) and MEN in the Light Heavyweight (205lbs) divisions."

That's the way it is on the ufc website hopefully your right because It'll be to many fighters otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's tough on Redser I think. He stepped up on a ridiculous weight cut for his debut, bringing a future challenger the distance. Yeah he got sparked out by Whiteford but I think he was deserving of one more fight. The writing was on the wall when he wasn't scheduled for Dublin I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

A bit tough but hardly shocking, especially when they've been ruthless lately. Probably doesn't help that whiteford was crap in his last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

"THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER® 23 TRYOUTS
    Tryouts for The Ultimate Fighter season 23 are currently open to FEMALES in the Strawweight (115lbs) and Bantamweight (135lbs) and MEN in the Light Heavyweight (205lbs) divisions."

That's the way it is on the ufc website hopefully your right because It'll be to many fighters otherwise.

Apparently it's gonna be the best season ever so far

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The coaches aren't choosen to match the fighters division. It's very rare that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

125 women's division isn't a good idea IMO. There's very little depth in either 115 or 135 as it is. 205 will be interesting as that division is really thin at the moment, we could see a future LHW champ from next season if Jones moves up or f's up again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Lads this is for tryouts only, it doesn't necessarily mean that both will be the weight divisions for show. I'd say they're probably doing tryouts for both female divisions to see what the talent pool is like and then take it from there. Whatever div isn't picked they still get to see a lot of fighters first hand and could offer a contract to the best of what they see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Devastator wrote: »
    Lads this is for tryouts only, it doesn't necessarily mean that both will be the weight divisions for show. I'd say they're probably doing tryouts for both female divisions to see what the talent pool is like and then take it from there. Whatever div isn't picked they still get to see a lot of fighters first hand and could offer a contract to the best of what they see.
    Had a division ever been called for tryouts and not used on the show?
    Could be a easy way to build the unused womens as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Mellor wrote: »
    Had a division ever been called for tryouts and not used on the show?
    Could be a easy way to build the unused womens as you say.

I honestly have no idea but maybe they're still trying to find their way with female MMA and this way they'll get to see the best available in 2 divisions & decide which 1 would be best for TUF & take the other good prospects from the other division(or keep their details for another series next year maybe).

I really didn't like the series with 2 weight divisions in the past, too hard to keep track of it for me. If the next series is 205(male) & 2 female divisions its really diluting down the idea to find the best in each division as there might be what 8 fighters from each division(4 per team)?

1 hour interview between Ariel and Jonathan Bones Jones. This should be good!

Very good watch. It really got me thinking when he said how much he parties so close to an upcoming fight, if he cut that out and took his career 100% seriously, he would be a monster amongst men. I mean he was as dominant a champion as I've ever seen in the UFC, so if he cut out the alcohol and drugs, it's scary to think what he could become. Absolutely dying to see him back in the octagon, hate the man, love the fighter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Fairly threw Dana under the bus in that.

Man that was a great interview! DC is gonna get an awful spanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

martyos121 wrote: »
    Very good watch. It really got me thinking when he said how much he parties so close to an upcoming fight, if he cut that out and took his career 100% seriously, he would be a monster amongst men. I mean he was as dominant a champion as I've ever seen in the UFC, so if he cut out the alcohol and drugs, it's scary to think what he could become. Absolutely dying to see him back in the octagon, hate the man, love the fighter.

I remember him saying in an interview that between fights he chills with his friends, plays video games and eats pizza. I remember thinking at the time, what a load of crap. Turns out I was right :P

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I remember him saying in an interview that between fights he chills with his friends, plays video games and eats pizza. I remember thinking at the time, what a load of crap. Turns out I was right :P

Probably ties in with his "not being myself" revelation too. He was always full of crap but to be honest, I hate him just a tiny bit less after that interview. It was nice to really get into his head and there's no better man to do that than Ariel Helwani. Showed a vulnerable side which was refreshing, but when it's time for him to do media with DC the arsehole will shine through again without a doubt. I know I sound like just another JBJ hater but he's seriously damaged his reputation and I'm still not sold on his 'new lifestyle'. I bet his sobriety is 100% court ordered. As I said before though, I'm a big fan of his work inside the cage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Looks like Henricks staying at 170.
    I thought Dana said it wouldn't happen??

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/11/johny-hendricks-to-leave-team-takedown-still-wants-to-fight-tyron-

Henricks vs Woodley is still a fight I want to see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement