Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pauldoo wrote: »
    belfort v rumble on for 142

should be good, big step up for johnson, he was doin well at 170 but a massive jump to take on a top 3 185er. Maybe dana wants a belfort win to set up silva/sonnen v belfort

Belfort isn't top 3 imo. Top 7 yeah, but not 3.
    But I agree that its a big fight for his move to MW.

Nate Diaz vrs Cowboy Cerrone - Should be great, LW is great right now.

I seen on MMA Torch that Demain Maia called out Jake Shields for his move back to MW. That should be great, Maia's BJJ vrs Shields AJJ, I give it to Maia as he at least has soem sort of stand up

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

What 6 people would you say are ahead of belfort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I'd have him top 4 personally, level with Okama and Bisping for me.

I'd have him top 4 personally, level with Okama and Bisping for me.

No way is he on par with Bisping, Bisping hasnt really beaten anyone at the top of a division, whereas Belfort has smashed top class fighters. Okami is very good, but belfort is better. My top 3 would Silva, Sonnen, Belfort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

No way is he on par with Bisping, Bisping hasnt really beaten anyone at the top of a division, whereas Belfort has smashed top class fighters. Okami is very good, but belfort is better. My top 3 would Silva, Sonnen, Belfort

I think he'd beat Okami and Bisping, but on rankings I think right now they deserve to be around each other. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dean09 wrote: »
    So he said Setanta IN Ireland........so does that mean it'll be on free to view on Setanta Ireland or on Setanta Sports 1?
    I have Setanta Ireland obviously cause its free, but I don't have Setanta Sports 1.

This kinda sums it up. Every time Setanta get back in the equation for a fight, Zelaznik displays a complete ignorance of how Setanta works, what channels are free etc.

Back at the time of the TUF-Channel 5-USA move they announced that TUF was now free for "All of the UK and Ireland". Then someone pointed out that Setanta wasn't free for most people and they basically said "aaaah, right... oops".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dean09 wrote: »

Thats disappointing, a poor card gets even worse.

I forgot Dyabate was there though, he's usually pretty fun to watch.

this could be the worst ufc card ever. are they even doing a countdown show for it?

Although sometimes the weak cards end up being class

this could be the worst ufc card ever. are they even doing a countdown show for it?

Although sometimes the weak cards end up being class

They often do, and strong cards often turn out boring, but that's besides the point I think, it's supposed to be a UFC, you watch UFC for more than just good fights imo, you can get exciting fights everywhere.

What 6 people would you say are ahead of belfort

Belfort has smashed people, in the past. At oen stage he was no 1.
    but thats not how rankigns work. Recent events are way more important. He's had 1 win and one loss in 2 years. He is defo good enough to be top 3, but it hasn't shown it recently.

So based on recent proformances;
    1. Anderson Silva - obviously

2. Chael Sonnen - again, obvious

3. Yushin Okami - earned a shot and did better agaisnt Silva

5. Mark Munoz - Very impressive against Maia

6. Brian Stann - Coasted on power, hand no answer for Silva

6. Demian Maia - Has improved his stand up and leagues ahead of the rest in BJJ

They have al impressed me more than Belfort lately (I have Maia and Stan tied). I don't rate Bisping at the minute as he hasn't fought since that hack Rivera.
    If the old Belfort comes out and walsk through Rumble Johnson, then he'll back up in the top 3 or 4.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Belfort has smashed people, in the past. At oen stage he was no 1.
    but thats not how rankigns work. Recent events are way more important. He's had 1 win and one loss in 2 years. He is defo good enough to be top 3, but it hasn't shown it recently.

So based on recent proformances;
    1. Anderson Silva - obviously

2. Chael Sonnen - again, obvious

3. Yushin Okami - earned a shot and did better agaisnt Silva

5. Mark Munoz - Very impressive against Maia

6. Brian Stann - Coasted on power, hand no answer for Silva

6. Demian Maia - Has improved his stand up and leagues ahead of the rest in BJJ

They have al impressed me more than Belfort lately (I have Maia and Stan tied). I don't rate Bisping at the minute as he hasn't fought since that hack Rivera.
    If the old Belfort comes out and walsk through Rumble Johnson, then he'll back up in the top 3 or 4.

If you want to do the 2 year thing (i think mma rankings are fairly loose since there is no one body doing them) Belfort would still be ahead of some of these guys, not in seventh. Sonnen has fought twice in 20 odd months and is 1-1(same as belfort), Maia is 2-1. I think also you would have to weight who they beat. Vitor has fought a much higher quality of opponent that maia. its a hard one to judge, but i think vitor is still ahead of a lot of these guys

I was doing 2 years for all those guys.
    Chael only had 2 fights, and was 1-1. His loss was a 24 minute man handling of Silva. Vitor looked terrible vrs Silva (i'll admitt that its not a fair reflection, adn there was some luck in the kick but its what happened).
    "Vitor has fought a much higher quality"
    Who has he fought and done well agaisnt in the last two years.

I think you are failing to separate rankings, and potential or even history.
    Rankings is a list based on recent results. It's very dynamic.
    There are lots of fighters with huge potential but things don't go their way. Vitor was great, he as the potential to be great again. But he hasn't been consistant lately to get there. All those other guys were consistant over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not an actual quote from Marshall, but this article says that UFC will be looking to broker a deal with Sky and/or FX to show UFC broadcasting when the ESPN deal runs out in August 2012!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not an actual quote from Marshall, but this article says that UFC will be looking to broker a deal with Sky and/or FX to show UFC broadcasting when the ESPN deal runs out in August 2012!

Yeah that's definitely going to happen in 2012 in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Hopefully its just with FX so I don't have to pay for sky sports. :pac:
    If its with sky they'll probably make all numbered events ppv.

I was doing 2 years for all those guys.
    Chael only had 2 fights, and was 1-1. His loss was a 24 minute man handling of Silva. Vitor looked terrible vrs Silva (i'll admitt that its not a fair reflection, adn there was some luck in the kick but its what happened).
    "Vitor has fought a much higher quality"
    Who has he fought and done well agaisnt in the last two years.

I think you are failing to separate rankings, and potential or even history.
    Rankings is a list based on recent results. It's very dynamic.
    There are lots of fighters with huge potential but things don't go their way. Vitor was great, he as the potential to be great again. But he hasn't been consistant lately to get there. All those other guys were consistant over the last two years.
    In fairness he smashed Franklin and akiyama. I.don't rankings at hand but i think most have belfort higher than 7

FWIW, which isn't very much, this article here quotes Dana as saying he "wants to go back to Ireland". Which sounds to me like "We have absolutely no plans to go back to Ireland. nothing on the back burner, but we'd like to at some point"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

FWIW, which isn't very much, this article here quotes Dana as saying he "wants to go back to Ireland". Which sounds to me like "We have absolutely no plans to go back to Ireland. nothing on the back burner, but we'd like to at some point"

Worth fcuk all to be honest, The guy's said he's coming back here since 93 and it's not happened, i'll believe it when it's announced

scudzilla wrote: »
    Worth fcuk all to be honest, The guy's said he's coming back here since 93 and it's not happened, i'll believe it when it's announced

You never know, Paddys Day is only 4 months away which means we're only a couple of weeks from seeing someone posting: "A source I have at the O2 told me last week over an Indian Meal and a bottle of Tiger Beer that Dana White landed on the roof of The O2 in a helicopter, absailed down the side of the building, karate chopped security and then went to the booking agent's office to reserve March 17th".

It certainly won't help the rumour-mill that Paddys Day is a Saturday this year.

If they do come back we will never get a card that good again. Hendo, franklin, shogun, coleman and then Kampmann, davies, lytle, blecher, kang, siver, horn, palharies. That was an awesome card, no chance we will get that quality again.

I think if they get on sky it will be better for the sport, You only have to see what sky do with mickey mouse sports like darts and cricket, they would have ufc look awesome. PPV will eventually happen anyway, but they dont have the fan base to do it yet

• Advertisement

If they do come back we will never get a card that good again. Hendo, franklin, shogun, coleman and then Kampmann, davies, lytle, blecher, kang, siver, horn, palharies. That was an awesome card, no chance we will get that quality again.

I think if they get on sky it will be better for the sport, You only have to see what sky do with mickey mouse sports like darts and cricket, they would have ufc look awesome. PPV will eventually happen anyway, but they dont have the fan base to do it yet

Indeed. And as MMA becomes more mainstream in the US and in other places, with the upcoming FOX events on free TV and FOX's clout being put behind it, the same isn't happening on this side of the water. Yes there are sold-out shows, but I get the impression Dana and the boys feel in order to imitate the current events in the US they need to get more coverage and a deal with SKY would be ideal for that.

But it still doesn't helo that the shows aare on at 3am.

If they DO go to Sky I can't imagine they'll have PPVs straight away. In fact I can't imagine UFC wanting PPVs in any way shape or form in the UK. The market won't be there for it for a good while!

However, a massively positive aspect of a Sky deal would be the fact that they would want the UK shows to be PPV. And in order for this to happen, FC will need to stack their UK cards.

A UK PPV event is prob a pretty good thing for the sport in UK and Ireland

A UK PPV event is prob a pretty good thing for the sport in UK and Ireland

It definitely is. If they wanna sell PPVs in the UK they will have to stack the card. Perhaps 2 title fights? Or one ridiculous Super-Fight. It would definitely mean the stars coming over. Perhaps Leben and Munoz will be somewhere on the undercard :P

Prelim fights are no longer going to be shown on facebook in 2012, they're moving to some american network I've never heard of

mmajunkie link

I wonder if there will be some way for non-americans to legally view the fights, if not this seems pretty stupid.

Overeem says that the winner of his fight with Lesnar gets the next title shot vrs the winner on saturday

Fuel isn't a network, its just one of fox's sports channels. Basically, its just the facebook fights, and "spike TV" card will still be there, although on FX.

If FX UK is showing the same as FX US, they might also add in the Fuel broadcast.

I watch the undercard, TUF etc on Fuel here in Oz. They PPV in the pub

I wonder if there will be some way for non-americans to legally view the fights, if not this seems pretty stupid.

Definitely I reckon. UFC.tv possibly

The fuelstory just appeared in the MMATorch feed.

the new programing looks like this;

Fox to Air four 90 min events a year, prob big ish events
    FX to air six 2hr events as well as TUF Live, fight night cards, UFC on Verses type cards
    Fuel to air non PPV overseas events (UFC 138), countdown shows, international TUF seasons etc

Brock Lesnar to serve as analyst for Cain v JDS on Fox.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

He a smart choice, he's the most recognaisable to the target market. He a good ol fashioned american 'rassler. He's a good choice to break in the market. He amy not be the best MMA spokeperson, but this event isn't about MMA fans, its about makign new ones.

Plus, 141 is less than 2 months away, media time is good. He looks terrible in the WWE video game promo stuff. Right in the middle of his illness.
    Also, Overeem will be cageside. His first time at a UFC event since 93 in dublin.

UFCPoster141BrockLesnarAlistairOvereem.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement