Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think it all stems from one of his fight podcasts on YouTube where he said he wouldn't really be bothered if the UFC didn't renew his contract. He likes being a fan and is comfortable enough now to not need the job.

He gets a bit OTT at times, but I enjoy the vast majority of his commentary. In saying that, I wouldn't mind hearing more of Dan Hardy or maybe even Bas/Mir.

If Rogan was to leave, Mauro Ranallo is the man to replace him with. Loved him in Strikerforce and he's been in the game for a long time, not as good as Rogan, but not many are despite his flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The problem with Joe is he is first and foremost employed by the UFC. So, when he hypes a fighter to the extreme (a la Rousey vs Holm) - and that fighter comes crashing down to earth, he gets dogs abuse for it when realistically he's just going his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Whats the story lads & ladies(maybe), bit of help if you know, watching 194 in mates house (he has android box),we were going to watch the Thursday Fight night & Friday night TUF final before 194 kicks off, I was wondering if there is a site i can download both nights and put onto USB? I have BT sports in my house so im recording it anyway..... is there a way to download from Sky box even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Mellor wrote: »
    That's true he doesn't need to cut weight at all. But large weight cuts is the nature of the sport. They allowed it to go that way. I'd rather they restricted the amount you can cut years ago. Actually that would solve the Cowboy issue too.

But a lot of these things aren't banned outright. You are allowed to use 50ml IVs every 6 hours. There a allowed limit on asthma too. You only need a TUE to go over those limits

I do see where you are coming from. We've have no facts at all, but hearsay and doctors opinions (that have been paid for). We don't really now how much he lost.
    If he only lost 6" as suggested, then it is unfair.
    But if it was half of them, then I feel its ok.

The way I see it, and this is really speculation, if somebody is only using an IV to rehydrate, then it's shouldn't be any more making that rehydrating orally. Why would it be?
    But I don't think any of us really knows whats going on behind the screens with the latest PEDs tbh.

I'm still not convinced they have a solid test for IV use either. I'd be surprised if Cowboy was the only one still using them. They need to catch somebody ;)

Hopefully the weight cutting issues will be addressed at some stage in the future. Theres been a lot of talk about it with certain fighters trying to cuttoo much weight(and failing. Personally I would like to see the idea of a further weight cut on fight day(or shortly before fight) and the fighter has to be within say 10% for example of the weight limit. Some sort of idea along these lines will help with a few of these issues.

Yeah unfortunately it does seem pretty impossible to test whether someone has used IVs after the weigh in. I could have swore I heard a while ago that Aldo(or his coach) said he would disregard the new rules and use an IV anyway. Unless the UFC/USADA get someone to handcuff themselves to each fighter after the weight cut and witness what they are doing for the next 24+ hours then I don't know how else they could know for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Devastator wrote: »
    Yeah unfortunately it does seem pretty impossible to test whether someone has used IVs after the weigh in. I could have swore I heard a while ago that Aldo(or his coach) said he would disregard the new rules and use an IV anyway. Unless the UFC/USADA get someone to handcuff themselves to each fighter after the weight cut and witness what they are doing for the next 24+ hours then I don't know how else they could know for certain.

Yeah, that was Aldo. Pretty much said "I'm gonna use an iv, what can they do"
    Then apologized a few days later, and promised to be good.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, that was Aldo. Pretty much said "I'm gonna use an iv, what can they do"
    Then apologized a few days later, and promised to be good.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm a Brazilian fighter claiming to do things the correct and honest way :pac: I wonder how deeply his tongue was shoved into his cheek while he said that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Devastator wrote: »
    Hopefully the weight cutting issues will be addressed at some stage in the future. Theres been a lot of talk about it with certain fighters trying to cuttoo much weight(and failing. Personally I would like to see the idea of a further weight cut on fight day(or shortly before fight) and the fighter has to be within say 10% for example of the weight limit. Some sort of idea along these lines will help with a few of these issues.

In my opinion the whole weight cut problem is too ingrained in the sport and theres too many amateur wrestlers making huge cuts and competing dehydrated that will transition to mma after college and I dont really believe itll ever change unfortunately. Usada have a fairly solid test for IV usage it picks up a particular plastic compound from the bags and tubes that are used for the IV fluid and also blood aswel. the test has been used and perfected in cycling and other sports for years. The main thing it was used to mask was blood doping as the test for blood doping detects the same plastic compounds which are easily explained away by saying ah i used an iv to rehydrate. Other thing is fromanything I've read it seems to be that scientificaly, oral hydration is as effective as IV if not more, the only thing being that its more convenient

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wouldnt bat an eyelid if Rogan left he can bring that clown goldy with him,Get in Mauro and Brian Stann or even florian,Anik hardy or gooden are no use at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I like Rogan. He explains the basics well enough to newcomers and you can tell he is a huge fan of the sport as well as a commentator. He's not afraid to criticize the UFC either which is refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wouldnt bat an eyelid if Rogan left he can bring that clown goldy with him,Get in Mauro and Brian Stann or even florian,Anik hardy or gooden are no use at the job.

I think it would be a sad day if either Rogan or Goldy or Bruce Buffer left

The 3 of them are the voices of the ufc for as long as most of us are watching it. When the Irish card was on last July, it didn't feel like the ufc as much without those 3 guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

If Rogan leaves it will be a big loss for me personally.

If it was up to me I'd bring Stann up to cover the main shows. He has great insight, very technical, he's not long out of the game and has a good relationship with the current fighters who he talks/trains with. He'd be good for those juicy little bits of inside info. He is also the epitome of a company man.

It would be time for Goldie to call it a day, especially without Rogan. To replace him, in order of preference I would have:
    Bas Rutten
    Stephen Quadros
    Dan Hardy
    Frank Mir
    ^I would be happy with any of them

Anik and Florain are too similar to each other and too bland. Mauro is alright but he has a good gig with Showtime at the minute that probably pays better than the UFC. And he's a bit too corny for me.

Dont know why anybody likes Goldy he spouts absolute garbage hasnt a notion about fighting in general brings nothing but a few shouts of ''IT IS ALL OVERRRR'' this is one of his gems recently wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lukker- wrote: »

Don't rate him hugely, but jesus SBG are going to have one hell of a team if it keeps growing at this rate. Conor, Gunni, Amirkhani, Parke, Holohan, there's more talent there than quite a few American camps, of course McGregor and Nelson make up most of that talent. :)

Is Amirkhani definitely in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

Goldy is absolutely brutal imo. I dont mind Rogan so much but def wouldn't miss him, he can be awfully biased towards some fighters though.

I've always mush preferred ex fighters on commentary Stann, Florian, Hardy, Rutten, Mir, Sonnen etc etc

Depp wrote: »
    In my opinion the whole weight cut problem is too ingrained in the sport and theres too many amateur wrestlers making huge cuts and competing dehydrated that will transition to mma after college and I dont really believe itll ever change unfortunately. Usada have a fairly solid test for IV usage it picks up a particular plastic compound from the bags and tubes that are used for the IV fluid and also blood aswel. the test has been used and perfected in cycling and other sports for years. The main thing it was used to mask was blood doping as the test for blood doping detects the same plastic compounds which are easily explained away by saying ah i used an iv to rehydrate. Other thing is fromanything I've read it seems to be that scientificaly, oral hydration is as effective as IV if not more, the only thing being that its more convenient

ahhhh now you say about the plastic found in blood I do remember hearing about that before. Oh its definitely more convenient, read about a fighter recently who said after weigh ins he would have the IV put in, have some good then goto sleep for few hours. So he was able to hydrate while sleeping, which obviously without the IVs fighters will have to stay awake while sipping down fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I wouldn't want Rogan to go, he probably wants more money and to do less shows, I guess he'll stay around for the bigger shows and he's mentioned a few times that Fox have been the ones to request him on their bigger cards.
    He says a lot of stuff I don't agree with during the fights and obviously has bias as he knows a lot of the fighters but his enthusiasm is great. You know he's up out of his seat when something happens like we are watching it on TV.

Goldie is just all cringe though, he should be gone.

They'll always have a Goldie/Anik/Gooden with a Rogan/Stann/Florian/Hardy.
    You'll never have two of the later types together, there will always be the 'polished sports broadcaster type' with one of them. It's how sports commentary has been for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

I think it would be a sad day if either Rogan or Goldy or Bruce Buffer left

The 3 of them are the voices of the ufc for as long as most of us are watching it. When the Irish card was on last July, it didn't feel like the ufc as much without those 3 guys

Does Goldy have any experience in training MMA or anything? Every show i hear with him, it seems like he has no idea what he's talking about. Only good at hyping stuff with that dramatic voice.

As for RoganS contract, from podcasts i've heard from him in the past, he seems to be a fan of Howard Stern. He's taking a leaf out of Howards book by making public noises about not renewing to suck every last cent out of the company. Stern was (and still is) the king of doing this lets see will Joe have the same success with the UFC.

I'd sooner sync the fight companion podcast in with the ufc with rogan bravo and schaub drinking and getting high discussing the fights than have rogan on the official broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Chael Sonnen would be ideal to replace Rogan I think.

Hope he and ufc get back on good terms, I could see him coming out of retirement when his suspension is up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

im pretty sure you could (can) iv rehydrate without using a drip
    it would be a case of mixing the water and the salts/sugars in a glass container and then using a glass or stainless syringe with a leather seal
    i'm an analytical chemist and i cant see how this would be tested for

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Letsdoit

Not a ufc or mma question but anyone know how to watch the glory kickboxing tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I like Goldie. A lot actually. And I hope they never get rid of him unless he wants to go. In the early days, when he was gettng paid cash in hand on a show by show basis, he turned down some very big money contracts to go to the big networks and commentate on football. He also turned down several big money offers from the WWE as far as I know.

Some people may not like him but he has shown huge loyalty to the organisation at times when no one knew from week to week if they would be putting on another show, and is being justly rewarded now.

Guaranteed future hall-of-famer.

John_D80 wrote: »
    I like Goldie. A lot actually. And I hope they never get rid of him unless he wants to go. In the early days, when he was gettng paid cash in hand on a show by show basis, he turned down some very big money contracts to go to the big networks and commentate on football. He also turned down several big money offers from the WWE as far as I know.

Some people may not like him but he has shown huge loyalty to the organisation at times when no one knew from week to week if they would be putting on another show, and is being justly rewarded now.

Guaranteed future hall-of-famer.

Hi Dana

Supposedly Cerrone doesn't have an IV tue and just planted false rumours to get a reaction from RDA.

Serious troll.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Don't rate him hugely, but jesus SBG are going to have one hell of a team if it keeps growing at this rate. Conor, Gunni, Amirkhani, Parke, Holohan, there's more talent there than quite a few American camps, of course McGregor and Nelson make up most of that talent. :)

Is Amirkhani definitely in?

Parke will still be cornered by NextGen as far as I know, he's just gonna do a camp with SBG so he can absorb some different methods and spar different people. Kavanagh asked him to be one Conor's sparring partners for the Porier fight but he was in Mexico at the time so he couldn't. Who knows he could end up staying but it's only for the 1 fight for now.

Amirkhani isn't confirmed yet and won't likely be until after Kavanagh comes back to Ireland but I don't see why he wouldn't be for certain.

SBG are building a good stable for sure and it's class that they are attracting top talent globally. Some up and comers too who should be there or thereabouts in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Tibau suspended by USADA, huge shock NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Beersmith wrote: »
    Tibau suspended by USADA, huge shock NOT!

Said it ages ago he had to be juiced to the gills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

ASOT wrote: »
    Said it ages ago he had to be juiced to the gills

Well i think everyone knew it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Gamebred wrote: »
    Hi Dana

Riiiiiight. :confused::confused::confused:

Dont really know what you're getting at here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement