Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Naos wrote: »
    A fight like that may bring people into the arena earlier. Not that they should need a reason, what fan pays for a ticket to a UFC event and then misses a few fights?

You'd be surprised. The fightpass prelims at a ufc event mostly involve guys no one knows a lot about plus they start fairly early as in between 4-6 in the evening. Lot of people would rather have a few drinks and arrive during the later prelims. They're still gonna have 4 or 5 hours in the arens. Going to a card with 12/13 fights on it is a long day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hoki wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. The fightpass prelims at a ufc event mostly involve guys no one knows a lot about plus they start fairly early as in between 4-6 in the evening. Lot of people would rather have a few drinks and arrive during the later prelims. They're still gonna have 4 or 5 hours in the arens. Going to a card with 12/13 fights on it is a long day!

I think that's nuts. If you're paying that amount of money to go to a UFC event it's crazy not to go from first prelim to main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Hoki wrote: »

You can have amazing fights on the fightpass prelims. You get to see new talent on the rise.

It's insane that people would not pay for a ticket, claim to be fans of the sport and then miss a few fights so they can have a few extra drinks in a bar. You can have drinks in a bar any day of the week, a UFC event / any MMA event for that matter is not the norm.

I just don't understand it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

You can have amazing fights on the fightpass prelims. You get to see new talent on the rise.

It's insane that people would not pay for a ticket, claim to be fans of the sport and then miss a few fights so they can have a few extra drinks in a bar. You can have drinks in a bar any day of the week, a UFC event / any MMA event for that matter is not the norm.

Its the same at any event fight show even local ones here,you have to remember the americans are spoiled with ufc events so they dont value them as we do in Ireland by showing up and not missing a fight because it only comes around every so often,the arena wont be half full for this fight which is sad.

You can definitely get some great fights on fightpass, I was just offering a reason why it's nearly always the case that the arena is virtually empty during fight pass prelims. A lot of fans would also have their own particular fighter which they'd follow so would have no interest in seeing other guys fight at 5 in the day.
    I can't stress enough how long it is to go from 1st prelim to the main event - for 194 the first prelim started at 11:45pm irish time and mcgregor didn't hit the ring til about 6am. A lot of people wouldn't have that kind of patience no matter who is fighting so opt to join at a later stage when the bigger names start fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gamebred wrote: »
    Its the same at any event fight show even local ones here,you have to remember the americans are spoiled with ufc events so they dont value them as we do in Ireland by showing up and not missing a fight because it only comes around every so often,the arena wont be half full for this fight which is sad.

+1 to this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Sorry there everyone cant be such a ‘real fan’ like you.

Especially if you’re talking about west coast events the prelims start awkwardly early in the day, for example UFC 194 started at 3.30pm PST. You’re talking more than the length of two soccer matches before the main card even starts, where you’re stuck with minimal food and drink options in bucket seats. Saying ‘a few drinks at the bar’ is again a lazy generalization, it’s easy to throw stones with your arse on the couch back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Every event I've been to, I was in there from the start and saw every fight. Cage Warriors, BAMMA, UFC, every single time. Nothing personal against people who don't show up from the start, but I don't get it if you're in any way a serious fan of the sport.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Every event I've been to, I was in there from the start and saw every fight. Cage Warriors, BAMMA, UFC, every single time. Nothing personal against people who don't show up from the start, but I don't get it if you're in any way a serious fan of the sport.

Cage warriors in tallaght was one of the best events ive ever witnessed live or on tele war and finish one after each other anyone who missed that card by showing up late missed a great card,even both mains lived up to billing.

I don’t get the need to judge others in order to validate yourself as a serious fan of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Every event I've been to, I was in there from the start and saw every fight. Cage Warriors, BAMMA, UFC, every single time.

I'm the same. UFC, Cage Warriors and Chaos in Derry.

You could miss the best fight in history because you don't go in for the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I don’t get the need to judge others in order to validate yourself as a serious fan of the sport.

Nobody is judging. Don't be so sensitive. Just offering our own opinions. Don't take it personally. Nobody saying you're not a "real fan".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is the seating tightly monitoried? Or would you be able to get up very close to the octagon during these early prelims if the venue was half empty

Nobody is judging. Don't be so sensitive. Just offering our own opinions. Don't take it personally. Nobody saying you're not a "real fan".

I’ve no concern about being called a real/serious fan on an internet forum, I spent about the guts of 17 hours at live MMA events over the weekend. I’m just highlighting the type of high horse, holier than though, attitudes from Martyos and Naos that you unfortunately see too frequently on this forum. As I said, it’s easy to throw stones from sitting at home on the couch.

BTW I’d have the same response if someone started making snide comments questioning how much of a serious fans those who didn’t make the trip to Vegas are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

JJayoo wrote: »
    Is the seating tightly monitoried? Or would you be able to get up very close to the octagon during these early prelims if the venue was half empty

Probably depends on the event and arena staff.

I was sitting front row at UFC Dublin. Two lads sat beside me and I didn't think anything of it until the actual owners of those tickets arrived and the two lads were told to go back to their actual seats.

Sorry there everyone cant be such a ‘real fan’ like you.

Especially if you’re talking about west coast events the prelims start awkwardly early in the day, for example UFC 194 started at 3.30pm PST. You’re talking more than the length of two soccer matches before the main card even starts, where you’re stuck with minimal food and drink options in bucket seats. Saying ‘a few drinks at the bar’ is again a lazy generalization, it’s easy to throw stones with your arse on the couch back home.

What difference does it make does the time zone make? If it started at 3.30pm and I was in the country at that time, all the better, easier to stay fully awake for.

The 'few drinks at the bar' was not a lazy generalisation by me, it was a direct response to someone who was explaining why people would not turn up from the start.

I'm not throwing stones just because I am watching it at home, you can bet your arse I'd be at every single fight if I was there.
    I’ve no concern about being called a real/serious fan on an internet forum, I spent about the guts of 17 hours at live MMA events over the weekend. I’m just highlighting the type of high horse, holier than though, attitudes from Martyos and Naos that you unfortunately see too frequently on this forum. As I said, it’s easy to throw stones from sitting at home on the couch.

BTW I’d have the same response if someone started making snide comments questioning how much of a serious fans those who didn’t make the trip to Vegas are.

Again, I'm not doing a high horse/holier than though type attitude. I'm just saying that I find it odd/nuts/incredible that you'd go all the way to an MMA event of UFC calibre and not want to see every single fight.

Any local shows I've attended here, I got in early and watched every fight and I wouldn't have a clue who some of the guys were on the card.

What difference does it make does the time zone make? If it started at 3.30pm and I was in the country at that time, all the better, easier to stay fully awake for.

The 'few drinks at the bar' was not a lazy generalisation by me, it was a direct response to someone who was explaining why people would not turn up from the start.

I'm not throwing stones just because I am watching it at home, you can bet your arse I'd be at every single fight if I was there.

Again, I'm not doing a high horse/holier than though type attitude. I'm just saying that I find it odd/nuts/incredible that you'd go all the way to an MMA event of UFC calibre and not want to see every single fight.

Any local shows I've attended here, I got in early and watched every fight and I wouldn't have a clue who some of the guys were on the card.

Timezone makes a difference in the States because the east coast cards normally start later, as they do with most European cards.

I can safely say I’ve never struggled to stay fully awake for an MMA event (and that doesn’t make you any less of a ‘serious fan’. I much prefer a later start rather than being in a venue with extortionate food/drink prices for 6/7 hours from early in the day meaning you don’t have time to have a proper dinner. Also, when you travel to somewhere for a fight you lose the whole day, along with the day before for the weigh in. Fine if you’re travelling by yourself or like minded people but different if you’ve company.

It’s also easier to arrive early to a local event when you haven’t spent hours over the preceding days going to press conferences, Q&A, weigh ins, two other 6/7 hour cards – at a certain point people start to get jaded and wont turn up for the first fight.

You’re absolutely being holier than though, it doesn’t make anyone less a ‘serious fan’ to not make the first fight on the card than it makes someone less of a ‘serious fan’ for not making it to Vegas.

Timezone makes a difference in the States because the east coast cards normally start later, as they do with most European cards.

I can safely say I’ve never struggled to stay fully awake for an MMA event (and that doesn’t make you any less of a ‘serious fan’. I much prefer a later start rather than being in a venue with extortionate food/drink prices for 6/7 hours from early in the day meaning you don’t have time to have a proper dinner. Also, when you travel to somewhere for a fight you lose the whole day, along with the day before for the weigh in. Fine if you’re travelling by yourself or like minded people but different if you’ve company.

It’s also easier to arrive early to a local event when you haven’t spent hours over the preceding days going to press conferences, Q&A, weigh ins, two other 6/7 hour cards – at a certain point people start to get jaded and wont turn up for the first fight.

You’re absolutely being holier than though, it doesn’t make anyone less a ‘serious fan’ to not make the first fight on the card than it makes someone less of a ‘serious fan’ for not making it to Vegas.

Okay, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Chael said on his podcast today that he knows DB Cooper and he's trying to get him on his podcast..... OK then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

ASOT wrote: »
    Chael said on his podcast today that he knows DB Cooper and he's trying to get him on his podcast..... OK then.

That's just bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

jimmii wrote: »
    That's just bizarre.

Basically said he's a friend of his father and that he's known him all his life and now that the term is up so he won't get in trouble or something along those lines he'd love to have him on the podcast to tell his story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

ASOT wrote: »
    Basically said he's a friend of his father and that he's known him all his life and now that the term is up so he won't get in trouble or something along those lines he'd love to have him on the podcast to tell his story.

If he did and it was verifiable that would be some coup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anyone see rogans podcast when they were talking about aldo drugs test. I had always doubted he had been doping but listening to them talk they do make a lot of points and I wouldn't be surprised now if he had been

Anyone see rogans podcast when they were talking about aldo drugs test. I had always doubted he had been doping but listening to them talk they do make a lot of points and I wouldn't be surprised now if he had been

The spilled drug test and trying to get the tester deported is enough evidence imo,add that to the way he was posting pictures every time he was tested saying ''look at me im doing the tests'' as Conor said its very suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

TBH there's no way of telling off what we saw. His body shape didn't look any different imo, and we couldn't tell anything from his performance level from 13 seconds. I flicked that podcast on for about 15 minutes and they already accused numerous guys of PED use. There probably are a lot of drug users around (possibly aldo) but Rogan et al were having a lucky dip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Any link for Rogans podcast

TBH there's no way of telling off what we saw. His body shape didn't look any different imo, and we couldn't tell anything from his performance level from 13 seconds. I flicked that podcast on for about 15 minutes and they already accused numerous guys of PED use. There probably are a lot of drug users around (possibly aldo) but Rogan et al were having a lucky dip.

I do think he looked a little deflated but nothing like belfort levels. But for me he looked a lot more nervous in the build up. Its not proof by any means but going into a fight without first peds for a change is one of many possible reasons for that.

Coupled with the spilled piss (which i wasnt aware of) and the trying to get tester deported messing it dies look dodgy

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Any link for Rogans podcast

On phone so can't link properly but that's it here.

https://youtu.be/nn2BVILWRT0

Croke park residents already getting there objections in to a croke park event. Not that I think it will happen any time soon but I do think it will happen.

The residents that live there have got way too much power though. It would be a shame to not see one of our greatest athletes competing in our greatest stadium because of a few moaners

• Advertisement

Will never happen imo. McGregor is too big now and the ufc will lose millions in revenue as the times won't match up for ppv in the states. The only way it would happen is if something like the event in Sweden last January was to happen in that it starts at 3am. Somehow I just can't see croke park being filled to the brim until 6am ever happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement