Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »

UFCPoster141BrockLesnarAlistairOvereem.jpg

That poster is f*ckin awesome!

Imagine a lifesize one? F*ck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    Fox to Air four 90 min events a year, prob big ish events

Don't like this. I can't see the point in the Fox events being so short. And Dana has insisted that even if Cain vs JDS ends in 2 minutes they will not show any of the prelims.

So what if all these prospective new fans tune in to see this epic HW battle and one man (not making predictions) KO's the other with his first punch. The new casual fan says "was that it"? and doesn't come back.

Instead they could fill that space with the best fight from the undercard. If you get an absolute stormer from Guida vs Henderson it's insane not to use it.

Far be it from me to criticise DW/Zuffa, they haven't done much wrong in terms of the development of the UFC but this seems strange to me.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Don't like this. I can't see the point in the Fox events being so short. And Dana has insisted that even if Cain vs JDS ends in 2 minutes they will not show any of the prelims.

So what if all these prospective new fans tune in to see this epic HW battle and one man (not making predictions) KO's the other with his first punch. The new casual fan says "was that it"? and doesn't come back.

Instead they could fill that space with the best fight from the undercard. If you get an absolute stormer from Guida vs Henderson it's insane not to use it.

Far be it from me to criticise DW/Zuffa, they haven't done much wrong in terms of the development of the UFC but this seems strange to me.

It's not a Zuffa decision, it's a FOX decision.

Apparently they said that they'll use the extra time to "educate" people as to what MMA is. Maybe a good thing considering a lot of people still think it's No Holds Barred stuff.

I agree with the thing about fights ending early. IMO if you were looking to advertise the sport, Bendo v Guida would be the ideal fight! It's gonna be an all action war.

But "The Heavyweight Championship" draws in the punters.

Having both would be ideal for me. i can't see the HW fight going past 2 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

MrStuffins wrote: »

Apparently they said that they'll use the extra time to "educate" people as to what MMA is. Maybe a good thing considering a lot of people still think it's No Holds Barred stuff.

I agree with the thing about fights ending early. IMO if you were looking to advertise the sport, Bendo v Guida would be the ideal fight! It's gonna be an all action war.

Having both would be ideal for me. i can't see the HW fight going past 2 rounds.
    They had a good discussion about this on the MMA hour on Monday. Bendo Guida could turn into a grappling match and that wouldnt be good for the uneducated fans. Also that fight means nothing to the new fans they are trying to bring in as they arent big enough names.
    They have to keep it simple by promoting one fight which has mass appeal (HW Title) Its all about bringing in new fans. The hardcore fans will find a way to watch all the fights ayway.

The fact that it's an hour long show with a 25 (plus round breaks) fight means they have plenty of time for education and previous fight highlights etc.

If they want to draw people in they should play the Baba O'Reilly highlight reel as their intro btw!

But if a fight scheduled for 25 minutes ends in 2 and you have a 15 minute stormer I think it's daft not to slot it in.

• Advertisement

Niall0 wrote: »
    They had a good discussion about this on the MMA hour on Monday. Bendo Guida could turn into a grappling match and that wouldnt be good for the uneducated fans. Also that fight means nothing to the new fans they are trying to bring in as they arent big enough names.
    They have to keep it simple by promoting one fight which has mass appeal (HW Title) Its all about bringing in new fans. The hardcore fans will find a way to watch all the fights ayway.

Exactly! I completely understand the thinking behind the decision.

Sure by this time next year I reckon there'll be some top fights on Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The fact that it's an hour long show with a 25 (plus round breaks) fight means they have plenty of time for education and previous fight highlights etc.

If they want to draw people in they should play the Baba O'Reilly highlight reel as their intro btw!

But if a fight scheduled for 25 minutes ends in 2 and you have a 15 minute stormer I think it's daft not to slot it in.
    As above, the 90mins shows are a fox decision. One that isn't surprising.
    Prelims will be on FX or Fuel and then over to Fox for a 90 min main card.

As for this event being only one fight. I don't like, but I understand why they are doing it.
    The rest of the events will be normal 3-4 fights everts i'd say.
    This is just a one fight deal for the unvealing.

UFC can't just decide to stick in a fight at the end if it ends soon. Main sports channels don't so do filler like that, or non-live events etc. They'll fill it with interviews and post fight discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Just in case anyone is interested in figures for what UFC peaks at on ESPN. Picked a recent few and then some events which have bigger headliners. Figures are from here

UFC 136 - 57,000
    UFC 135 - 50,000
    UFC 134 - 69,000
    UFC 132 - 65,000
    UFC 131 - 56,000
    UFC 129 - 41,000
    UFC 126 - 44,000
    UFC 121 - 30,000
    UFC 111 - 63,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Maaan brock is gonna steamroll overeem (unless overeem gets to land a few that is :))

Tones69 wrote: »
    Maaan brock is gonna steamroll overeem (unless overeem gets to land a few that is :))

Overeem is with Xtreme couture these days so I bet he's working non stop on his TD defence!

He needs to!

• Advertisement

Overeem is with Xtreme couture these days so I bet he's working non stop on his TD defence!

He needs to!
    I hope he lands an UberKnee While Brock shoots, how awesome would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Brock to win, although they match up nearly even, brock has freak strength and the guy is lightening fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Brock to win, although they match up nearly even, brock hashad freak strength and the guy is lightening fast.

We dont have a clue what he's gonna be like after so long out for a second time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Very true actually.

On the flip side though, it appears that his previous freakish speed and strength were despite his insides being fecked so we don't have a clue what he's gonna be like when fully (hopefully) healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

akiyama v shields set for japan, both could be fighting for ufc survival although im sure shields will get one more loss before the chop

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

pauldoo wrote: »
    akiyama v shields set for japan, both could be fighting for ufc survival although im sure shields will get one more loss before the chop

I don't see Akiyama winning this, it'll be interesting to see if he loses will Dana keep him around, like Dan Hardy he has a valuable international profile and they don't want to lose him to another promotion after investing in his marketing.

tad00 wrote: »
    I don't see Akiyama winning this, it'll be interesting to see if he loses will Dana keep him around, like Dan Hardy he has a valuable international profile and they don't want to lose him to another promotion after investing in his marketing.
    It probably depends on how he would lose, if its close or shields just holds him down he might get another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26091/siyar-bahadurzada-im-facing-erick-silva-at-ufc-142-in-brazil.mma

Bahadurzada looks finally set to make his UFC debut next year, I've watched the entire Ultimate Glory tournament and was impressed with him throughout. He's fighting in Brazil maybe he hasn't cleared all VISA issues up, while I've never seen him tested against a good wrestler, this guys striking is insane. And in a division plentiful in good strikes, I think he could be an excellent addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

• Advertisement

Was just reading about this. Very interesting case and one, if they're actually able to establish that it is against the constitution to stop them, one they won't lose.

In fairness, it's only a matter of time before MMA is regulated in New York.

Take notice New York; the Ultimate Fighting Championship isn't going away without a fight.

UFC officials today announced they have filed a lawsuit against New York State officials "challenging the constitutionality of the state law banning live professional MMA events and associated activities."

Along with a group of plaintiffs that includes fighters, fans and trainers, UFC executives hope to overturn the state's current ban on MMA, citing several constitutional violations.

"MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S. and one of the most popular in the world," Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta stated in an official release. "When we acquired the UFC, we went to great lengths to invite regulation and adopt substantial safety measures. MMA is now as safe as or even safer than many other sports and activities sanctioned in New York like boxing, for example, because it allows fighters to honorably tap out and involves far fewer hits.

"All the disciplines that go into mixed martial arts are performed live in New York; it is only their combination that is illegal. Denying fighters the chance to exhibit their training and skills before a live audience and denying thousands of New Yorkers the ability to watch their favorite fighters perform live is not only an injustice to them, but to the local markets that would reap tremendous economic benefits from hosting competitions. We believe the ban should be eliminated, and look forward to fighting live in New York."

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, "alleges the ban infringes upon the rights of the fighters who want to publicly exhibit their skills as professionals and express themselves before a live audience, the rights of fans who would like to experience live professional MMA events, and the rights of those who train, publicize or otherwise advance MMA in New York."

New York University School of Law professor Barry Friedman, who is representing the plaintiffs in the complaint, told "The Wall Street Journal" the lawsuit will mark the first time the court has ever directly confronted the question of whether athletes have a First Amendment right to be seen in action.

"It is unfortunate that we were forced to take the step of filing a lawsuit to overturn this senseless law, but the ban on live professional MMA infringes on the rights of countless New Yorkers,” Friedman stated in an official release. "Despite sincere legislative efforts, the ban remains in place based on a flawed assessment of the sport's supposedly 'violent message.' This rationale is a patent violation of the First Amendment.

"In live events, fighters showcase their talents, communicate their convictions, show respect for their opponents and the art and tradition of MMA, and convey the importance of discipline, training and hard work. They also entertain their fans. Not only does the law prohibit live events, but as it is written it purports to ban other speech including media broadcasts and coverage of professional MMA. It is ironic that New York – in many ways the home of free expression, the global media and the art world – would deny someone his or her fundamental freedom of expression. The ban is contrary to what New York is all about. There is no legal basis for this unconstitutional ban to persist."

Earlier this year, bill A04146 stalled in the New York State Assembly's Ways and Means Committee. It was the third consecutive year a bill to regulate MMA failed to reach a public vote.

New York State long has been one of the holy grails in the movement to legalize MMA across the country. Fertitta and UFC president Dana White have proven some of the most vocal proponents, and many fighters – especially those from New York – have also spoken out in favor of legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Good move by the UFC. They should definately win the lawsuit anyway and finally get New York to get with the times.
    When they do win the lawsuit, I bet the 1st event they have there will be a cracker!

Dean09 wrote: »
    Good move by the UFC. They should definately win the lawsuit anyway and finally get New York to get with the times.
    When they do win the lawsuit, I bet the 1st event they have there will be a cracker!

I think they're through playing nice and trying to get regulated by educating the commisions and hoping they'll see the error of their ways.

Doing it through the courts will work (I hope).

I'd imagine they'd try get Madison Square Garden for the first event. If that's the case i'm there already!

I think they're through playing nice and trying to get regulated by educating the commisions and hoping they'll see the error of their ways.

Doing it through the courts will work (I hope).

I'd imagine they'd try get Madison Square Garden for the first event. If that's the case i'm there already!

Yeah that's definately where they'll have it. I'd say the atmosphere there would be electric.
    It might be an excuse to take a little trip to NY. I'll just tell the gf I'm bringing her shopping in NY and then say "Oh look! There's a UFC event on this weekend too. What a nice coincidence!"

Yeah that's definately where they'll have it. I'd say the atmosphere there would be electric.
    It might be an excuse to take a little trip to NY. I'll just tell the gf I'm bringing her shopping in NY and then say "Oh look! There's a UFC event on this weekend too. What a nice coincidence!"

Sounds like something my missus would do.

"Stuffins, i'm bringing you to NY for the UFC..... oh look, shops!!" :cool:

Coincidentally, her uncle is a big MMA fan. His wife (the auntie)'s bday is in December. Her bday is in December and when her bday came around in Dec 2008 he brought her her card and another envelope with her present in it.

Wheh she opened it up it was 2 tickets to UFC 93 :pac:

She wasn't too pleased of course, so the cheeky bastard went anyway and used her ticket to bring one of his mates! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

You have a girlfriend that doesn't like the UFC?????:)

loremolis wrote: »
    You have a girlfriend that doesn't like the UFC?????:)

Ah she's coming around slowly and watches the odd fight. I brought her to a few Irish mma events and she liked it so it's not all bad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are defo after the gardens.
    And the article clearly explains why the ban is ridiculous. given that each individual sport is allowed, and that it can be viewed.

But unconstitutional is a hard sell imo.

Speaking of GFs and the UFC.
    My GF mentioned organising a holiday next year. Her idea was to go to NY, stopping off in vegas on the way. Her words: 'We'll jsut organise it so that it falls on a UFC date".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Famed British fighting ship H.M.S. Victory had part of the deck painted red, to make wounded sailors' blood less noticeable.

The production crew of the UFC on FOX debuted apparently borrowed a page from history, and as seen in the image below from MMAFighting's Esther Lin, painted over any blood stains minutes before the UFC debuted on national television on FOX
    The fear that the American mainstream, entirely unfamiliar with mixed martial arts, might be repelled by the sight of blood is a real one. While the damage inflicted by a boxing glove is more traumatic, it is over time internal. The soft tissue damage characteristic of mixed martial arts is less dangerous to the brain, but more onvious to the uninitiated. Thus the move was a sound one.

H.M.S. Victory was Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar, defeating a larger combined French and Spanish fleet, sinking 22 enemy ships without loss of a single vessel, and capturing or killing the enemy Admirals. This cemented the United Kingdom as the world's preeminent power for over 100 years. So they must have been doing something right.

The UFC and FOX appear to be on the right track too.

method=get&s=ufc-on-fox-11-15-11-17-10-53-429.jpg

• Advertisement

My wife hates MMA with a passion.

But it was her who suggested I go to Vegas for UFC 100 for a stag trip, went to Cher by herself while I went to 116, and came with me to 95 just to say se tried it. So I don't care if she doesn't like it!

I have told her that I'm doing NYC when they get legalised though.

As for Madison Square Garden, I think they already have an agreement to hold their first event there. When the UFC did a big promotional push there last time they had a press conference at the Garden and the MSG bosses gave their support and said that they had an agreement in place for the UFC to hold the first big MMA event in New York there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement