Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wonderboy Thompson v Big Rig is a teriffic fight,main event cain trying to redeem himself at sea level is another big fight personally cant wait for them 2.

Wonderboy is great but I think Johnny "Ya know what I mean" "Does that make sense" Hendricks will turn it into a snooze fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Wonderboy is great but I think Johnny "Ya know what I mean" "Does that make sense" Hendricks will turn it into a snooze fest.

Yup, I can see Hendricks smothering him and making it his type of fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wonderboys wrestling has gotten a lot better over the last few years im not saying Hendricks wont wrestle **** him but I dont think it will be as easy for him to grind out a win as some people might expect,Rig can take a punch but my god one them kicks land hes going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Wonderboys wrestling has gotten a lot better over the last few years im not saying Hendricks wont wrestle **** him but I dont think it will be as easy for him to grind out a win as some people might expect,Rig can take a punch but my god one them kicks land hes going out.

The thing is, there's wrestling that has "come along a lot over the last few years" and there's elite level wrestling.

Rig is at the very top tier of wrestlers in the UFC with the likes of DC, Mendes, Edgar and a few others.

If you were to compare it to BJJ, Hendricks and DC are like Jacare and Maia.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Neil Magny at Demian Maia's seminar. Pretty cool. Maia beat Magny by RNC at UFC 190 of course.

https://twitter.com/demianmaia/status/683374396686254081

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    Neil Magny at Demian Maia's seminar. Pretty cool. Maia beat Magny by RNC at UFC 190 of course.

https://twitter.com/demianmaia/status/683374396686254081

Maia is a gent. Isn't he going / went to Iceland after beating Gunni?

Any thoughts on who you'd all like to see Duffy matched up with next? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Paully D wrote: »
    Any thoughts on who you'd all like to see Duffy matched up with next? :)

If he stays at LW, Pearson, Felder or Lauzon. Those three are all on his current level IMO. Plus they are all credible names tht would be a good scalp for him.

A year to the day since Jones v Cormier at UFC 182. Where has that year gone? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting article on how Joe thinks judges scoring should change after 195. Also Road FC with an interesting scroing system. Wouldn't mind seeing something new like this introduced instead of the ol 'don't leave it in the hands of the judges' Might be a disaster though.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/4/10705688/morning-report-ufc-195-joe-rogan-robbie-lawler-carlos-condit-dana-white-stipe-miocic-mma-news?_ga=1.51811689.1372793112.1451836168
    Interestingly enough, Korean promotion ROAD FC announced on Dec. 9 that it would begin implementing its own "Unlimited Points System."
    "In this system, points will be awarded for specific action and activity," ROAD announced. "One point will be given for a clear strike, takedown, near submission, full mont or back mount position, clear control on the ground, and aggression. Five points will be awarded for a knock down.
    All points will be accumulated through the entire fight, not round by round, therefore a performance throughout the entire bout will determine the clear winner."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That sounds very messy. I'd like judges to award more drawn rounds and 10-8s. If there's a very marginal winner, mark it 10-10. Amd you shouldn't have to shoot the lights out of your opponent for 5 minutes to get a 10-8, if it's extremely dominant give a 10-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Interesting article on how Joe thinks judges scoring should change after 195. Also Road FC with an interesting scroing system. Wouldn't mind seeing something new like this introduced instead of the ol 'don't leave it in the hands of the judges' Might be a disaster though.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/4/10705688/morning-report-ufc-195-joe-rogan-robbie-lawler-carlos-condit-dana-white-stipe-miocic-mma-news?_ga=1.51811689.1372793112.1451836168

Rogan annoys the **** out of me to be honest. He's the most biased guy you'll ever hear. Also, no way was round 5 a 10-8 for Robbie. Not a chance.
    I agree that the 10 points must system should change. Not sure if the Road FC route is the right way either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Really though, how disastrous would that be? If judges can't award a simple 10-9 to the better fighter (the easiest way of scoring a round) how are they supposed to mark down every significant moment in a fight. How do you weigh scoring? Is everything significant a point? How does a jab compare to a powerful uppercut? A job to a sweep? A jab to taking mount etc.? It's a ridiculous scoring system.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

mmapk wrote: »

When is the current deal up?

Lots of rumours that Sky are ready to sign them up.

(Edit, read the link, mid 2016).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Does anyone think if Sky bought the rights they might/should insist on more European based events? I wouldn't see the point in them shelling out big money when 90%of the events are going to be shown at an unrealistic time to make it possible to attract a wider audience base. The 'casual fan' as the article seems to state are the ones that Sky will attract better than BT have, will not really bother staying up until 5am on a Sunday morning to see a main event in my opinion.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The 'casual fan' as the article seems to state are the ones that Sky will attract better than BT have, will not really bother staying up until 5am on a Sunday morning to see a main event in my opinion.
    Thats what Sky+ is for.

I wouldn't call myself a casual fan by a long shot, pretty much the opposite. But I have only sat up to watch a live event maybe 3 times in my life.

I watched UFC 195 yesterday at 3pm.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thats what Sky+ is for.

I wouldn't call myself a casual fan by a long shot, pretty much the opposite. But I have only sat up to watch a live event maybe 3 times in my life.

I watched UFC 195 yesterday at 3pm.

Its not the same watching it recorded as the live experience dont know how people do it and get the same enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Its not the same watching it recorded as the live experience dont know how people do it and get the same enjoyment.

I don't see the difference, so long as I am unaware of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I watch every Prelim + Main Card back to back on the Sunday afternoon. Much better than staying up all hours, especially when all thats needed to avoid the result is stay off Facebook.

I've stayed up for the Irish fights, though.

• Advertisement

Ah I cant sleep through the night knowing im missing massive fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Saipanne wrote: »

Yep agreed. Got up early Sunday and watched 195 without checking into fb/reddit/boards etc to avoid results and it was great, probably more enjoyable as I wasn't groggy after staying up late!

Although I did check my bet365 balance and knew at least 1 of my picks didn't come in, but the mystery was still there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

We do it so Sunday isn't a write off, Saturday and Sunday are my get **** done days as work during the week and then training doesn't give me the option to.

I stayed up to watch McGregor's last two fights but I was like a zombie on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Tazzimus wrote: »
    We do it so Sunday isn't a write off, Saturday and Sunday are my get **** done days as work during the week and then training doesn't give me the option to.

I stayed up to watch McGregor's last two fights but I was like a zombie on the Sunday.

I'm the exact same. There's a handful of fighters/epic cards that I will stay up for but mostly catch it next morning before going online. Sunday is a complete write off for me when I stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The PPV ends at what, 6am?

I tend to wake around 9am, on weekends. I hop straight on to the tablet and watch the event, just three hours after it closed. The wounds on the fighters are still fresh while I'm watching.

My heart is still pounding as I watch, same as if I stayed up.

I only stay up for a few choice events. The rest I watch hours later.

Saipanne wrote: »

Exactly.

Plus you can fast forward the ads.

The only time I will either sit up live or get up early in the morning to watch is if it's an Irish fighter involved. I did so well yesterday only for the last person I saw before I watched it blurting out the Duffy result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Ah I cant sleep through the night knowing im missing massive fights.

exactly how i feel, huge fear of missing out, last main event I can remember missing was 193, Struve and Rosholt put me to sleep :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

darced wrote: »
    I stay up to watch nearly every single event, any decent boxing too, have done for years.
    Anytime I didn't and watched it the next day I didn't get the same excitement at all as stupid as that sounds. I am so used to it now it doesn't bother me at all, usually in bed for 7 up at 12 for the football.

That's basically what iv also done for years, can't get into as much if it's not live. Like having a chat about it here while it's going on aswell. Different strokes for different folks though, I wouldn't say anything to anyone for not staying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Think I'm getting old. Struggle to stay up these days. Sundays are a write off if I do. Apart from the odd stacked card of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement