Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Looks like Holm/Tate is on the cards judging by Holly on the MMAHour. I think Tate could take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Looks like Holm/Tate is on the cards judging by Holly on the MMAHour. I think Tate could take that.

Idiotic matchmaking, if Holm loses that (which isn't hugely unlikely) their big money rematch with Ronda is down the drain.

Unless of course Ronda is taking serious time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

martyos121 wrote: »
    Idiotic matchmaking, if Holm loses that (which isn't hugely unlikely) their big money rematch with Ronda is down the drain.

Unless of course Ronda is taking serious time off.

Even if Tate beats Holm you end up with Ronda vs Tate 3, Ronda redeems herself and beats Tate again and then has her revenge title defence against Holly and gets headkicked into next week again. The UFC can't lose here.

I reckon Ronda will retire if she doesn't fight Holm next.

Even if Tate beats Holm you end up with Ronda vs Tate 3, Ronda redeems herself and beats Tate again and then has her revenge title defence against Holly and gets headkicked into next week again. The UFC can't lose here.

I reckon Ronda will retire if she doesn't fight Holm next.

That's true, but as I said, unless Ronda is taking time off, the rematch is what everyone is dying to see and would sell like crazy if it's the next fight for both. The longer you leave it, the interest will slowly start to drop a bit. It's too risky to blow that big payday for the Fertitas by giving Holly another fight before Ronda, because if she loses that, where do they go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TimRiggins wrote: »

She's mad for it but the UFC are ****ting it that if she loses then their previous UFC 200 rematch with Ronda goes out the window. If it does happen, I think Holly will slap Cupcake silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

That's true, but as I said, unless Ronda is taking time off, the rematch is what everyone is dying to see and would sell like crazy if it's the next fight for both. The longer you leave it, the interest will slowly start to drop a bit. It's too risky to blow that big payday for the Fertitas by giving Holly another fight before Ronda, because if she loses that, where do they go from there?

I think Ronda's return is a huge payday regardless and you'd have to fancy her against Miesha. I'm very interested to see what Holm/Tate will do buywise too. Holm has turned into a big name herself just from beating Ronda, and her against Tate will do more buys then alot of big events not featuring McGregor or Ronda. Tate is a bad styles match up for Holly though but it could be a good fight.

Frankie told Ariel that Lorenzo was gonna have him face off with Conor in the Octagon after Aldo fight and when he was called to go in, Dana stopped him and said 'Conor might fight at 155 or Aldo might get rematch, you're not going in there'. Frankie sounds fairly pissed. I'd prefer Conor do that fight first and then leave 145 behind for good.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Frankie told Ariel that Lorenzo was gonna have him face off with Conor in the Octagon after Aldo fight and when he was called to go in, Dana stopped him and said 'Conor might fight at 155 or Aldo might get rematch, you're not going in there'. Frankie sounds fairly pissed. I'd prefer Conor do that fight first and then leave 145 behind for good.

Ah that's bad form, Frankie got Miesha'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Seems to be the right call from Dana if that's true. No point sending Frankie in there when it might not be his next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ah that's bad form, Frankie got Miesha'd.

I'd like to get Miesha'd too :)

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'd like to get Miesha'd too :)

That video of her rolling with the three Australian lads when triangles one of them I was thinking "there's worse places to die than right there..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

UFC are praying Miesha beats Holly so they can let Ronda armbar the life out of her and claim the title before retiring no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Gamebred wrote: »
    UFC are praying Miesha beats Holly so they can let Ronda armbar the life out of her and claim the title before retiring no doubt about it.

So they want one of of their biggest stars to retire as soon as possible? Okay.

baz2009 wrote: »
    So they want one of of their biggest stars to retire as soon as possible? Okay.

News flash,she has no plans on staying around in the sport,they want her no where near Holly Holm.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

News flash,she has no plans on staying around in the sport,they want her no where near Holly Holm.

All the more reason for them to pair her up with Holm if she gonna bolt of in to Hollywood. Holm is the money fight. I'd be surprised if it does not happen to be quite honest.

And another question - when is GSP doing this 6 week camp yoke?

Surely the ufc just want Ronda back with her belt ASAP? and no where near Holm,I think Ronda would retire then if she got it back and redeemed herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The UFC will still want to keep her as long as possible, obviously enough.

Why would they want her to beat the champion and then leave the company? Whoever wins the vacant title would then only ever be compared to Ronda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Maybe it's best in the long run for certain fighters not to hang around for others Holly only needs to look at her teammate Carlos Condit after he became interim champ (while doing so was paid less than the man he beat) practically took nearly a year off waiting for GSP. Holly is right the timeframe in combat sports is short shes not getting any younger.

Of course I can see why they'd wanna hold out clearly but instead of placing all their eggs in one basket the UFC should look at the bigger picture active champions is no bad thing after all even a number of cards this past year had 2 titles fights who'd have imagined that in 2014 watching Dillashaw v Joe Soto or seeing Aldo v Mendes II original card getting scrapped after losing the main event.

Mr. Finland is in the house!

Makwan Amirkhani ‏@MakwanAmirkhani 1h1 hour ago Ireland, taxi driver, woman at the reception and the cheff sounded like Conor. Almost went to singleleg with cleaner at the hotel. #ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Jackson Wink aren't having a good time really are they, lots of their fighters getting a pasting or losing via decision.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Jackson Wink aren't having a good time really are they, lots of their fighters getting a pasting or losing via decision.

They still have the GOAT there about to come back and ruin DC,and the best unknown (ish) prospect in the game Yair Rodriguez imo.

cloudatlas wrote: »

The have Holly and the badest man on the planet. They're doing just fine.

Yair Rodriguez

So much fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

They still have the GOAT there about to come back and ruin DC,and the best unknown (ish) prospect in the game Yair Rodriguez imo.

I'm aware of that but when someone does really well like Conor or Holly it casts some light on the rest of the team so it's sad when there are many losses and the team doesn't live up to the promotion that has been handed to them.

The fact that so many of their fighters are ranked and fighting for belts proves how good the camp is.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Off The Ball (Newstalk) are talking to a "top UFC fighter who left the promotion due to the poor pay" tonight. Didn't name who it was and not quite sure of top of my head who involved in that lawsuit. Should be an interesting discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

It's probably Pendred no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Can't think of anybody who fits that bill.

Fitch maybe? Not sure if he's involved in the suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Petermc83

Phil Davis ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Not Fitch or Davis, they were booted out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement