Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'm pretty sure that's there for a DVD extra and that whilst they were probably banged up, there's a good degree of selling going on here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Chael's most recent video is about as close to a pro wrestling promo as you could get without it becoming a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Golden Glory officially launched a lawsuit against Alistair Overeem yesterday.

The lawsuit was filed in a Los Angles court by Knock Out Investments, a company owned and operated by members of the Dutch outfit Golden Glory.

Overeem parted ways with the team earlier this year after signing with the UFC. He headed to the US and joined Xtreme Couture as he prepared to face Brock Lesnar in the headline bout of tonight’s UFC 141 event.

He has also filed his own lawsuits in the US against Knock Out Investments, asking the court to rule that the management contract they have in place is no longer valid. That case is pending. Golden Glory claim it was filed as a pre-emptive measure by Overeem once he had heard he was to be sued for breach of contract himself .

US sports news entity ESPN obtained a copy of yesterday’s court papers and reports that Overeem and his current agent Collin Lam are named as defendants. Lam came to some prominence in an appearance on the recent Nevada State Athletic Commission conference call during which Overeem’s decision to return to Holland and miss a drug test was discussed.

KOI claims that their contract with Overeem is valid until July 2012. They are looking for the court to enforce that term, as well as the commission payments due under the contract. That includes 30 per cent of Overeem’s payment for his win over Fabricio Werdum at a Strikeforce show in June.

Usually, Golden Glory is paid directly by promoters and then passes monies on after deducting its commission. It says this is because of its wide international fighter base and range of operations. Zuffa, owner of the UFC and Strikeforce, did not like this arrangement and so insisted that the money be paid to Overeem directly.

That means Golden Glory has to chase Overeem for its percentage from that fight. But Overeem is owed money from various recent K-1 appearances and even though K-1 has not paid Golden Glory, he believes that under their contract, Golden Glory is responsible for paying him what he is due.

He is seeking $151,000, according to the court papers he filed earlier this year, as well as a ruling that he and KOI are no longer in a legal relationship. For their part, KOI are seeking a percentage of Overeem’s signing bonus with the UFC - which they negotiated - as well as percentages from the Werdum fight and tonight’s Lesnar fight.

Overeem’s contract terms with the UFC are attached to the papers filed with the court and reveal that his standard fight purse will be $264,285 for tonight‘s fight with a further $121,428 win bonus should he emerge victorious.

Golden Glory, via KOI, are claiming that the former DREAM, Strikeforce and K-1 GP champion is also guaranteed 2% of all pay-per-view revenues generated by tonight’s event over and above $500,000 (so if the event grossed $1,000,000 for example, Overeem would get $10,000). If the PPV sells around 500,00 units, Overeem would make well over a million dollars if this $2 provision is accurate.

Unusually, the contract also provides for Overeem to retain certain image and intellectual property rights - tremendously valuable to him in Japan - and guarantees a minimum payment of $1 million over his first three fights. His contract with the UFC is for eight-fights but contains release clauses in case of repeat losses.

Also contained in the court papers is a claim from KOI that Overeem was told by Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta that “the one million dollar signing bonus was Overeem's money and that KOI/GG was ‘ripping him off’ and ‘stealing from him.’”

The case will not be heard in court until early 2012.
    Fighters Only

Found this interesting since it actually contains details (bolded) about Overeems contract. Looks like a damn fine paycheck for him although he always said it would have to be for him to go exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Fighters Only

Found this interesting since it actually contains details (bolded) about Overeems contract. Looks like a damn fine paycheck for him although he always said it would have to be for him to go exclusive

If Dana White is to be believed, the Golden Glory lads weren't very honest in their dealings with their fighters and used to insist on the fighters purses be paid to THEM, when they would then pass it onto the fighter. Seems a bit.... fishy!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Starting to doubt he'd be that great to go out on the lash with afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

00benski wrote: »
    Hahaha awesome reponse from diaz camp, as much as i hate the fcuker.

It's always some excuse with BJ though isn't it?
    He's finished feeling sorry for himself so he's looking for someone to blame. He got his ass kicked and IMO Fitch would beat him the second time round, so why can't he just stop moaning?

Fitch-BJ 2 make it happen Joe Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

After me being surprised at BJ being surprisingly humble in defeat after the fight... he undoes it all, really is the point of delusional that rant.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CHRIS JERICHO

Will Brock reconsider ? or his he done ?

• Advertisement

BJ threatening Cesar Gracie now.
    Link
    The on going beef between Nick Diaz's coach, Cesar Gracie and B.J. Penn continues.

It all started with Penn tweeting Diaz, complaining about the way he fought and taking a shot at Jon Fitch in the process. Gracie responded, saying that Penn is surrounded by "Yes Men" and that he always has excuses for every single loss.

A furious Penn once again took to twitter, and even threatened the 46-year-old MMA and BJJ coach:
    @bjpenndotcom
    BJ PENN
    "@CesarGracieBJJ Excuses?? The whole world knows I lost the fight including myself. I’m tired of you talking down to me Cesar, I hope you’re in training camp right now because the next time I see you, you better not be “scared homie!” "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I wonder is this BJ just trying to talk himself into another big payday or does he genuinely belive he could beat Diaz next time.
    If the old BJ is back then great, but if not then he's just making himself look like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Don't be scared homie haha. In other news, chris cyborg tested positive for banned substances.

Really disappointed in BJ. I have no idea what he's playing at. He was beaten fairly and squarely by Diaz. maybe he's mad at himself because he knew had he had the stamina he might've carried on like he fought in the 1st round?

I'd love to see BJ join a good camp, Couture or Jackson or something........... but it'll never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Really disappointed in BJ. I have no idea what he's playing at. He was beaten fairly and squarely by Diaz. maybe he's mad at himself because he knew had he had the stamina he might've carried on like he fought in the 1st round?

I'd love to see BJ join a good camp, Couture or Jackson or something........... but it'll never happen.

Agree with that, and also agree it'll never happen.

How many times, leading up to BJ's fights have we heard he's in prime condition, his cardio is awesome then come fight night it's barely existant.

Forget which fight it was (maybe the last GSP one) where he was carrying huge rocks under water, then yet again he looked so weak in the later rounds

BJ has just updated his FB status with this....

My recent comments have nothing to do with my loss. I know I lost.
    This has everything to do with the HUGE amount of disrespect he had shown pre fight during the fight and post fight.. Not only disrespecting me but the sport as well. To me flipping people off and consistently cussing post fight is disgraceful.. It's strange how some actually honor him for that kind of behavior. But oh well. Maybe I'm just old fashioned like that.

scudzilla wrote: »
    BJ has just updated his FB status with this....

My recent comments have nothing to do with my loss. I know I lost.
    This has everything to do with the HUGE amount of disrespect he had shown pre fight during the fight and post fight.. Not only disrespecting me but the sport as well. To me flipping people off and consistently cussing post fight is disgraceful.. It's strange how some actually honor him for that kind of behavior. But oh well. Maybe I'm just old fashioned like that.

Just saw that. He's kinda trying to back track now though. He didn't really mention anything about Diaz's disrespect after the fight (was there any? I know Nick is Nick but I never heard of anything being said?)

The Jon Fitch dig just shows he's being a bit classless here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

I really don't understand the logic behind it at all.

Like the fight ended two months ago, and now he decides to take to the airwaves for absolutely no reason.what a sourpuss

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

He really does have yes men around him, its the same oul story. I wish he would get a proper camp, get some proper cardio and have proper game plans instead of relying on pure talent, the sport has moved on and you cant get away with it anymore, from his last few fights;

Diaz; he looked great in the first round, ran out of steam and lost
    Fitch; he looked great in the first round, ran out of steam and drew
    Edgar; was beaten by Frankies movement and footwork in the first fight, doesn't adjust his game plan, gets beaten exactly the same way in the second fight.

If he had proper training he could have won his title back(although capital if here, frankie has proved to be class) and beaten 2 contenders in the welterweight division and could be fighting condit(a not too big welterweight) for the title. I love BJ but his lack of preparation for fights is so disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bigfoot' Silva set to debut in UFC against Cain Velasquez

'Bigfoot' Silva set to debut in UFC against Cain Velasquez in April

Rodrigo Minotauro revealed on Saturday in his weekly column

in the Rio newspaper Extra, which is close to Antonio Silva hit

with the UFC. The premiere was in April at an event to confirm.

The opponent would be none other than Cain Velasquez,

former heavyweight champion and just lost his belt to Junior

Dos Santos in November

Bigfoot has not fought since September, when he was knocked

out by Daniel Cormier in the semifinal of the Strikeforce GP.

The athlete of Team Nogueira should follow the natural path of

some of the Strikeforce heavyweight, since the event

purchased by UFC extinguish the category of the heavy end of

the GP. That's what happened to the friend of Bigfoot, Fabricio

Werdum, who confirmed his return to the Ultimate in

February, against Roy Nelson chubby. The Brazilian giant

underwent shoulder arthroscopy in November, but has

returned to training.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/376107/Bigfoot-Silva-set-to-debut-in-UFC-against-Cain-Velasquez-in-April/
    Last edited by voodoo070 at 2012-01-07 18:53:03

Some welcome fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Cain Vs Bigfoot is going to be a carbon copy of Cormier Vs Bigfoot. Bigfoot just can't deal with quick, accurate punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

yeah i can see bigfoot going to sleep in this one

Just reading that Christmas Volkman has been put on "administrative leave" from his day job as a High School Wrestling Coach because of his post fight Obama comments.

Ah well, at least he can fall back on a career as a stand up comedian

Dan Henderson may be next to fight Jon Jones.

I'd say Rashad may be feeling like he's being passed over yet again but at least he'd be in line for the winner of Hendo-Jones.

LINK
    Dan Henderson may have leapfrogged Rashad Evans as the No. 1 contender in the UFC light heavyweight division.

With champion Jon Jones now saying that he wants to fight as soon as he can -- changing his mind after previously saying he needed some time off following a very busy 2011 -- it appears likely that Henderson will get the next crack at the champion, and Evans' quest for the belt will have to wait.

UFC President Dana White said on ESPN 1100 in Las Vegas that Jones had called him and said he's hoping to get back into the Octagon as soon as possible. Evans is already booked for a January 28 fight on Fox against Phil Davis, so Henderson may get the next title fight.

"He had said he wanted to take some time off (but) he called about four days ago and said, 'OK, let's go. ... Let's get back to work. I'm ready to get productive again,'" White said of Jones. "He wants to fight as soon as possible."

Based on the UFC's calendar, as soon as possible would likely be UFC 145, on March 24 in Montreal. That fight still needs a main event, and Jones vs. Henderson would be a big one.

"We've got to see how this thing plays out but what could end up happening is Dan Henderson fights Jon Jones first," White said.

But some would say it would be unfair to Evans: A former light heavyweight champion, Evans has been waiting for a title shot and wants to fight Jones, his former friend and teammate. The UFC has promoted Evans vs. Davis as the opportunity for Evans to earn his shot at Jones, but if the UFC wants to book Jones in the first quarter of 2012, then Evans is going to have to wait.

One way or another, White said, the light heavyweight division has plenty of challengers who can contend for Jones's belt. If Henderson gets the next shot, that just means the winner of the Evans vs. Davis fight would be first in line to face the winner of Jones vs. Henderson.

"I think we have a ton of guys," White said. "It's not like everything depends on one guy or two guys. The great thing about us is we've got 10 of 15 guys so it's never like we have to depend on one person."

Gotta go for my man Hendo in that one.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Gotta go for my man Hendo in that one.

Yeah I'd love Hendo to win it. I think Jones will beat him though. But imo it'll be his toughest test to date if Hendo comes out in great shape.
    I hope his cardio improves since the Shogun fight and he puts Jones in some real trouble.

UFC have confirmed that in the US, the entire undercard for YFC 143 will be shown on FX.

I really hope they have these available on UFC.tv bow that they won't be on Facebook anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

With Gilbert Melendez and Luke Rockhold et al all looking for UFC fighters to come over and challenge them in Strikeforce, I would love to see afew things happen....

Gray Maynard goes over to fight Melendez.
    One of the four in the mix for a title shot in the middleweight division - Sonnen, Munoz, Bisping, Belfort etc to head over to face Rockhold.

It can only help in keeping Strikeforce afloat.

Richy06 wrote: »
    With Gilbert Melendez and Luke Rockhold et al all looking for UFC fighters to come over and challenge them in Strikeforce, I would love to see afew things happen....

Gray Maynard goes over to fight Melendez.
    One of the four in the mix for a title shot in the middleweight division - Sonnen, Munoz, Bisping, Belfort etc to head over to face Rockhold.

It can only help in keeping Strikeforce afloat.

I'd love to see a situation where Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin, Lil Nog, some more of the older "Legends" can head over and compete against each other.
    And the Ultimate fighter rejects from the last few seasons can challenge them. Would make Strikeforce a good proving ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

UFC have confirmed that in the US, the entire undercard for YFC 143 will be shown on FX.

I really hope they have these available on UFC.tv bow that they won't be on Facebook anymore.

They won't be on Facebook anymore? :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement