Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Dean09 wrote: »
    Hardy has lost 4 in a row now. If he loses this one he HAS to get cut.

Absolutely, very winnable fight for him all the same. Would say FOTN contender but that card is full of potential FOTN's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dan Hardy v Duane Ludwig @ UFC 146.

Surprised and pleased by this.

Surprised that Hardy didn't take a fight elsewhere before returning. He probably needs the confidence.

Pleased that Hardy is now actually fighting guys on his own level. He was rushed way to quickly in the UFC and I have actually really grown to like him! Hope he does well here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Leeg17 wrote: »

Should be good, what weights are the fighters??

Lookin forward to the Brazilian one more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Short video on countdown to ultimate fighter brazil. Posted it for no other reason than Wand is a fúcking legend

never watched a TUF series before, but I think this might be the first one I look out for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

LINK
    Feb 29, 2012 - To rematch or not rematch? When it comes to the UFC's convoluted title triangle of Frankie Edgar, Ben Henderson, and UFC President Dana White, that certainly seems to be the question.

Days after UFC 144's controversial lightweight championship, proverbial lines in the sand have begun to be drawn. For his part, Edgar made his opinion clear when he atypically demanded a rematch on Wednesday's episode of The MMA Hour.

White, however, isn't as convinced. Having just resolved a two-year traffic jam in the 155-pound division, he prefers Edgar to drop down to his natural weight class of 145 pounds, and he's willing to sweeten the pot to get him there.

"Absolutely, (Edgar) walks straight into a title shot," White declared during Wednesday's UFC on FX 2 press conference.

"If I'm going to deny him the rematch for the 155-pound title, and I'm going to make him move to 145 and say, ‘Yeah, you're gonna have to fight a couple fights first to get the title.' Does that sound right? No."

Of course, White's protests are nothing new. The UFC President has long desired Edgar at featherweight, but after a slew of championship performances, he ran short of visual evidence that lent credence to his claims.

Even in the immediate aftermath of Saturday night, it appeared Edgar had again proven himself correct. Both White and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta said they scored the fight in favor of the former champion, though apparently that sentiment has now changed.

"Sitting there that night, I thought Frankie Edgar won the fight. And then Lorenzo (Fertitta) flew back to Las Vegas. He texted me yesterday, said ‘I re-watched the fight,'" White revealed.

"Ben won."

Obviously Edgar vehemently disagrees, and he has steadfastly remained opposed to a fight against 145-pound kingpin Jose Aldo. So with the lightweight division seemingly at an impasse, even White is unsure where to go from here.

"That weight division is so stacked, and there's so many guys in line." he hesitantly explained. "I have a lot of different feelings about the rematch. First and foremost, I feel like Frankie Edgar absolutely deserves one, seeing as how every fight this guy's fought, he's given everybody else a rematch.

"Yet, I don't want him to fight at 155-pounds. I want him to go to 145 and fight for that title. Plus if we do give him a rematch, it clogs up (the division). There's other guys that are in line waiting. It's a big mess."

For now, White's unwillingness to put the division on hold appears to be most telling.

Although there may also be a surprising ulterior motive at play. One that lies not in Edgar's fighting ability, but with his long-term health and longevity.

"This guy's fighting with 155-pounders, guys that are cutting from 170-plus, and they're always so much bigger than him. The guy has absolute wars and pulls out decisions that are so controversial every time," White concluded.

"Take the whole fighting thing out of it, this guy belongs at 145-pounds. When you're a professional fighter, you have a small window of opportunity as it is to compete and be a professional athlete. There's only so many wars you have in you. You can't have this long amazing career fighting wars all the time, so I don't know. This whole thing is a nightmare and we'll see what happens."

Personally I'd love Frankie to get a rematch and if he loses again then he can drop down. But it doesn't look like it's gonna happen that way if Dana says LW is too clogged up to have a rematch.
    I wouldn't say no to seeing Edgar fight Aldo either though. That'd be a great fight and I think Edgar would have a really good chance at taking the title.

Rampage admits using TRT before the Bader fight
    “I almost pulled out but then I went to see the doctor and he told me to talk to an age-management doctor. So I went and talked to them and they tested me and said my testosterone was low; they prescribed me testosterone, to bring my testosterone levels back up to levels where I can be like… so that I am the same as young people, like when I was 25, and it would help build my knee up. I hurt my knee like a month ago and I only did three shots of testosterone but it put a lot of weight on me, a lot of muscle on me but it healed me knee up good enough to where I could fight.” “I gave myself small doses and that **** immediately changed me, that’s why I am saying now I am not going to retire. I am not gonna retire no time soon, it’s just unfortunate that I got this injury. I started hitting it up pretty good, I still gotta take care of my knee but I feel like a 25 year old again. My sex life changed, I was back to five times a night like when I was 25, straight up.”

“So I spoke to the UFC and they were like ‘yeah, a lot of fighters are probably doing it but not telling anyone.’ Me, I keep it real, I am not doing anything wrong. Its legal and I am not abusing it and I am not going over certain levels. From what I learned about it, when I got tested my levels my levels were really low and the doctor was telling me that athletes can burn testosterone.”

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Rampage admits using TRT before the Bader fight

I'm not sure if I agree with fighters using testosterone replacement therapy. I mean, if peoples levels of tesosterone lower naturally with age and/or they lower due to being an intense athlete, then I'm not sure if they should be allowed to do the therapy.
    Surely to keep it all natural and have everybody on a level playing field then they should have to make do with what they have and not rely on testosterone replacement to give them a leg up.
    I don't know the ins and outs of it but it just seems like an unfair advantage. I know that it probably didn't affect him during the fight but it would've helped in his training while all the other guys have to just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think he was always getting the immediate shot.

I don't think he'll step down, and I don't think he'll get a rematch.

IMO it will be;
    Bendo v Pettis
    Edgar v winner of Diaz and Miller

Winner of each of those fight for the belt. If after that Frankie doesn't ahve the belt back he'll drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Roy Nelson Will Drop To Light-Heavyweight If Fan Challenge Accepted

UFC president Dana White, UFC ringside commentator Joe Rogan and fans across the world have been clamoring for UFC heavyweight fighter Roy Nelson to put down the cheeseburgers and start cutting the fat so that he may compete at his full potential.
    Full story

EVERYBODY GET LIKING!!!!!

• Advertisement

Full story

EVERYBODY GET LIKING!!!!!

I wish I could like this 100k times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Would love to see it happen, I think he would be beat Rampage, Tito, Hamill, Bader, Griffin and a good few more but at nearly 36 it's easier said than done (the weight cut)

I think he'll have no problem getting 100k likes. I liked it a min ago and there was over 63k so far!
    He'd be much better suited at 205 imo. I don't think he'll ever wim a title there but it'll certainly make for some cracking fights and with a chin like his there'll be a few wars on the horizon. If he can sort out his cardio along the way then he could do reasonably well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

whats the story with this regards airing in ireland. it doesnt seem to be on FX listings at the moment. anybody know the definite start time

LINK
    Mar 5, 2012 - Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia wants back inside the Octagon.
    Sylvia said Monday on The MMA Hour that he is desperate to prove that he belongs in the UFC heavyweight division, and that he'd gladly accept whatever contract the UFC offered him.
    "Have me come in, put me against Stefan Struve, Cheick Kongo, (Matt) Mitrione," Sylvia said. "I'll fight anybody. I don't care. And see if I can hang with them. If I can't, I tell you what, it's going to be a hell of a fight."

Sylvia said he invested the $800,000 he made for his loss to Fedor Emelianenko and is doing fine financially, and that now he just wants to prove himself in the UFC. In fact, Sylvia said he would accept a contract that pays him only $5,000 to show up and another $5,000 to win, which is as low as a UFC contract gets. For that matter, Sylvia said he'd be willing to fight for free."If the UFC comes to me with an offer for $5,000 and $5,000 I would take it," Sylvia said. "I know that's very entry level money but I'd have an opportunity to win Knockout of the Night and make $50,000."
    Sylvia said he disagrees with those who say the UFC heavyweight division is leaps and bounds better now than it was when he was the champion. Sylvia acknowledged that there are a handful of great heavyweights whom he'd struggle to beat, but he said he thinks he would defeat most of the UFC's top heavyweights.
    "I don't agree with any of that. Right now you have three studs: Alistair, Junior and Cain, and the rest are OK," Sylvia said. "There's also Frank Mir and Shane Carwin, but besides the Top 5, if you put me in there I'll beat them all."
    Sylvia said he currently weighs 295 pounds and would be able to get himself down to the UFC's heavyweight limit of 265 if the UFC gave him that chance. The only obstacle, Sylvia said, is that he doesn't think the UFC wants him.

So why not? Sylvia knows that the UFC is in the business of giving fans the fights the fans want to see, and he said he has reached out to fans through social media to ask him why they're not clamoring to see him in the Octagon again. He said some fans have told him he has a boring style, but he says the biggest problem is that fans don't know enough about him.

"I just want to know why, how come the fans don't like me," he said. "Basically it's because they don't know me."
    And the best way for the fans to get to know Sylvia is for the UFC to promote him again. He'll be waiting by the phone.

Tim has been at this for a while now. Practically begging the UFC to let him back in. It's kind of embarrassing for him.
    Granted he was the champion and I suppose he deserves some respect for that but he's going the wrong way about it.

I don't think he's good enough for the UFC anymore. And obviously the UFC thinks the same. He's not doing himself any favours by basically saying "Yeah ok, I'm not good enough to beat any of the top 5 but I'll have a go at some of the other guys".
    Since he's left the UFC he's just bounced around from promotion to promotion and not done a hell of a lot. Maybe he should just wait for the next HW TUF! :D

Is Big Tim good enough to get in there with JDS? Absolutely not!

Is Tim Sylvia even in the World Top 10? No!

Is he good enough to compete in the UFC? Well, when you look around the UFC HW division and you see guys like MOrecraft, Struve, Barry, Kongo, McCorkle (I know he's been dropped), Mark Hunt................. then i'd have to say yes. There's an awful lot of deadwood in the HW division. It's definitely the most shallow IMO!

I'd like to see him come back, maybe even just for nostalgic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Well there's talk of Tim having big support from fans, maybe Dana White will see dollar signs. But personally, there's no fight I want to see with Tim. Top tier guys in the UFC will walk through him, lower tier guys might only add creedence to the idea that Tim was any good in the first place.

Maybe Tim vs Roy Nelson......but jesus I'm not sure I want to see the poster for that event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Well there's talk of Tim having big support from fans, maybe Dana White will see dollar signs. But personally, there's no fight I want to see with Tim. Top tier guys in the UFC will walk through him, lower tier guys might only add creedence to the idea that Tim was any good in the first place.

Maybe Tim vs Roy Nelson......but jesus I'm not sure I want to see the poster for that event!
    Throw him in with mark hunt and that will be the end of Tim in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Never liked Tim, watching Randy dismantle him is one of my earliest MMA memories

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sylvia/Arlovski IV - Oh, So Tired ©

• Advertisement

LINK
    Quinton Jackson, who is coming off a loss to Ryan Bader in Japan, is currently vacationing in Pampanga, which is one of the provinces in the Philippines. During his stay in the country, Rampage has sent out a few interesting tweets. The former UFC champion, who has been known to get emotional about things, said that after his next fight, he plans on leaving the UFC, and fighting for other promotions:

@Rampage4real
    Quinton Jackson
    I will fight who ever they put n front of me,I always have,but it will b my last fight n the ufc,I have other things on my mind
    Mar 06 via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply

@Rampage4real
    Quinton Jackson
    I didn't say I would b done fighting,I just said I'm not fighting 4 the UFC,(u fight cheap)I said I have other things on my mind (big head)
    Mar 06 via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply
    Jackson went on to explain why he isn't happy with the UFC, tweeting "Why should I stay? I don't need them or anybody else negative dealing with my (career)... MMA, okay. UFC, not okay after".

Knowing how emotional Rampage can get at times, I expect that this will all just boil over once he speaks with the UFC brass and patches things up. Either way, even if he wants to push through with this a few months after, it won't be easy as there will be very limited options available for him outside of the UFC

It seemed like Rampage didn't have his head in the game for the last while but I didn't think he'd quit like that.
    There must've been some argument behind closed doors that we didn't see. Maybe since his last fight in Japan he wants to go back there instead?

sonic85 wrote: »

whats the story with this regards airing in ireland. it doesnt seem to be on FX listings at the moment. anybody know the definite start time

Checked FX, ESPN and Sky from Friday night to Tuesday night and there's no peep of TUF15 on there. I guess it's downloading for me

sonic85 wrote: »

Checked FX, ESPN and Sky from Friday night to Tuesday night and there's no peep of TUF15 on there. I guess it's downloading for me
    There was problems with the listings for TUF14 aswell and it generally didn't appear on the listings until the day before if I remember right.
    It could be the same this season.

There was problems with the listings for TUF14 aswell and it generally didn't appear on the listings until the day before if I remember right.

I also think the reason behind it last time was because they actually had no deal in place to show TUF in the UK until the very last minute!

In any case, the only way i'd be watchiing this on my EPG would be if it was actually live over here.

Otherwise i'll watch it... how I normally watch it....
    I'm not opening my mouth just in case Minister Sherlock is watching.............

PS: When i "liked" Roy Nelson's page there were 52k likes

I've just checked now and there are more than 87k! Say hello to Fruit & Veg Mr.Nelson!

Just tweeted by Jon Anik:
    Good news for UFC fans in the UK: 'The Ultimate Fighter Live' will air on ESPNUK. Series premiere = 2AM on Sat. March 10th

I guess it'll be clashing with a few UFC events in the future (ie Jones vs. Evans)??

I guess it'll be clashing with a few UFC events in the future (ie Jones vs. Evans)??

Nah, It's live in The States on Friday night, meaning it'll be live here at 2AM Sat morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nah, they wouldn't have that in the U.S, they'll just move TUF forward a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

They're talkin bout ufc on off the ball tonight on newstalk,after 8. Great show,will be intetesting to see what they have

• Advertisement

pauldoo wrote: »
    They're talkin bout ufc on off the ball tonight on newstalk,after 8. Great show,will be intetesting to see what they have

About time they started talking about it! I missed it now but I'll check out the podcast later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement