Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Anyone who thinks that pro wrestling isn't entertaining should have come to the Wrestlemania party on Grafton Street last Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Carwin would of won if rounds were 5:30 each, the heavyweight champion Randy was old and Frank Mir didn't show up that day. A bit biased no?

Actually Carwin would have won if the ref stopped the fight when Brock rolled into the foetal position like a girl begging for mercy, This win was sour to say the least.

With that said he does deserve respect for getting in and giving it a go either way, fact is he just was not top rate.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that pro wrestling isn't entertaining should have come to the Wrestlemania party on Grafton Street last Sunday :)

I wouldn't say Wrestling isn't entertaining. But i'm not imagining it when I say that it's nowhere near as entertaining as when I watched it as a kid.

When I was a kid, it was full of characters, gimmicks etc. Mysterious guys from "parts unknown", The Undertaker was actually a dead guy, The Ultimate Warrior was threatening to crash Hulk Hogan's plane using just the power of the spirits of other warriors lol.

These days there's not much to it IMO. It's real guys using their real names who have big muscles and throwing each other around. Even when they DO have gimmicks, they never fully go with it.

Oh yeah, and John Cena...... really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

cowzerp wrote: »
    Actually Carwin would have won if the ref stopped the fight when Brock rolled into the foetal position like a girl begging for mercy, This win was sour to say the least.

With that said he does deserve respect for getting in and giving it a go either way, fact is he just was not top rate.

Brock had better cardio than Carwin, that's why he won the fight. Stopping a fight is at the referees discretion. While I wouldn't have been surprised if the referee stopped the fight, I certainly wasn't shocked that it continued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Brock had better cardio than Carwin, that's why he won the fight. Stopping a fight is at the referees discretion. While I wouldn't have been surprised if the referee stopped the fight, I certainly wasn't shocked that it continued.

I think what cowzerp is saying is that on most other days with most other fighters, the referee would have stopped the fight and Carwin would have been declared champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Dana said on twitter that the next series of TUF will be Uk vs Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

pauldoo wrote: »

Yeah one more loss and he should finally get that title shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Klim wrote: »
    Dana said on twitter that the next series of TUF will be Uk vs Australia.
    Whos gonna coach i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ha, I got a tweet off him yesterday, i asked him a question about TUF ratings after he'd posted to say last friday's show did less than a million

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Niall0 wrote: »
    Whos gonna coach i wonder?
    I'd say Kyle Noke is likely. Which means Bisping is the obvious match-up.
    Outside of those, you've George Sots, which would suggest Ross Pearson as a LW match-up. I'd prefer that over noke bisping again tbh.

Or, comedy factor, you'd have welterweights Hardy and Ebersole. But I think thats unlikely.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd say Kyle Noke is likely. Which means Bisping is the obvious match-up.
    Outside of those, you've George Sots, which would suggest Ross Pearson as a LW match-up. I'd prefer that over noke bisping again tbh.

Or, comedy factor, you'd have welterweights Hardy and Ebersole. But I think thats unlikely.

All of these eventualities are boring as hell and will do nothing for the format at all. Not to mention the fact that nobody would be really bothered to pay for a PPV featuring any of those potential fights.

The coaches won't necessarily have to be from the respective countires. And although they most likely will be, I really hope they won't be!

not going to be a PPV.
    The coaches will fight at the Brisbane show later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Source
    UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones has confirmed that, under normal circumstances, he would have been happy to step up and fight the heavyweight champion at UFC 146, but not whilst that champion is Junior Dos Santos.

Alistair Overeem's failed drug test has thrown his May 26 title bout with Dos Santos into doubt. The challenger is heading for a Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing, where he can explain the failed test, but failure to do so would leave the UFC to find a new challenger to the belt.

The names of Mark Hunt, Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson have all been mentioned, in addition to Frank Mir or Cain Velasquez, who are scheduled to fight at UFC 146. However, a popular option would be to see 205lb champ Jones challenge for the heavyweight strap, if he comfortably overcomes Rashad Evans on April 21.

Jones admits that, if he emerges unscathed from the Evans fight, he would definitely be up for the task. The only problem being his friendship with current champion Dos Santos.

"It's hard to even say because of two factors: First, it would be disrespectful of me to just look past Rashad completely like, 'Oh, this fight's already done,'" Jones told PricklyPairStudios. "Rashad is going to be a huge test and I'm excited for this great challenge.

"Honestly, it is something I would totally entertain. But at the same time, I have so much respect for Junior Dos Santos. He's such a cool dude. He's just such a cool dude.

"Fighting him is just like... Me and him, he treated me like his brother when we were in Brazil together. We did a lot of fun stuff in Brazil. He's just a cool dude.

"Challenging him out of nowhere would be hitting him upside the head like, 'Where did Jones come from? Why does Jones want to fight me?' I'm not saying he's scared of me, by any means, I'm sure he's not.

"If it was somebody else, I would definitely go for it. But it's Junior. I don't know, I'm not even a heavyweight so to pick a fight with Junior doesn't really make sense to me. There's a lot of work to be done in the light-heavyweight division."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I know I bashed him in another thread for his religious posts on Twitter but... PLEASE GOD let him move to HW just so he can get his ass kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

So he would fight Evans as a team mate but won't fight a guy he hung out with. Jones is such a dick. Junior and Cain would prob beat him (cain at his best not like last fight).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    So he would fight Evans as a team mate but won't fight a guy he hung out with. Jones is such a dick. Junior and Cain would prob beat him (cain at his best not like last fight).

Yea I was gonna pick up on that bit alright. Two faced POS. Said that he and Evans would never fight as they were like brothers
    ...he treated me like his brother...
    What makes this any different?

• Advertisement

Lads, I have absolutely no doubt that if JDS was a challenger for this LHW belt he'd fight him in a heartbeat.

I don't think he's being hypocritical here, he's being smart. He's saying he'd "entertain" it whilst at the same time making it look reluctant, exactly like he did with Rashad.

Also, he's not an idiot! I think him taking that fight would be madness! Why would he take a fight like that on relevitely short notice, possibly a little banged up and at a significant size disadvantage? Especially at this stage of his career?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Jones loves the sound of his own shíte talk, can't put my finger on it but every word that lad says makes my skin crawl, not a genuine bone in his body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

a lot of Jones haters out !!! Whatever you don't like about him he is pure class in the ring and conducts himself well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'd disagree with that conducting himself well comment after watching the Machida fight.

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Comments like that bug the hell out of me.
    How was Cain not at his best? Because he got knocked down and it was stopped? There's no shame in getting knocked down by JDS. Everyone, even at their best, would get knock down if the blow lands right.
    Sure, he could of moved, blocked it, or done something different which might have changed the outcome. But there's a lot of luck in that, and imo its not an issue of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I meant he hadn't fought in a year and was back from Shoulder injury, thats not at your best generally, maybe he took the fight a little too early or hasn't at ease with his shoulder so may have been reluctant to shoot as was expected.

Maybe he was fine, I suppose the fight was a little to quick to judge. Maybe if it wasn't a title fight and a Fox headliner both men might have not fought as JDS had a knee problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I wonder why this weekend's event is in Sweden?? It's hardly a hotbed of MMA, Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »
    I wonder why this weekend's event is in Sweden?? It's hardly a hotbed of MMA, Anyone have any ideas?

The women.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dean09 wrote: »
    The women.

Well if that's the case Liverpool will never see an event ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »
    Well if that's the case Liverpool will never see an event ;);)
    On that note, I read on Facebook the other day that the UFC are going to the UK this year but they said it definitely won't be Liverpool.
    No mention of where it will be though. Maybe the men arena?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement