Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dean09 wrote: »
    On that note, I read on Facebook the other day that the UFC are going to the UK this year but they said it definitely won't be Liverpool.
    No mention of where it will be though. Maybe the men arena?

I'd say it'll be either The MEN arena or O2 in London, if they're gonna come over for just 1 event they're gonna want to make it pay, and them 2 Arena's are the biggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I wonder would they consider Belfast again? That way they'll keep the Irish fans happy at the same time.

I wonder would they consider Belfast again? That way they'll keep the Irish fans happy at the same time.

Nah, i can't remember exactly what it was but i'm pretty sure they were not happy with 1 or 2 things from Belfast last time around.
    If/When they come back to Ireland it's gonna be Dublin

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nah, i can't remember exactly what it was but i'm pretty sure they were not happy with 1 or 2 things from Belfast last time around.
    If/When they come back to Ireland it's gonna be Dublin
    Suits me fine!!
    What's the capacity of the O2 in Dublin though? Would it be enough to entice them over here rather than sticking with the UK?

Suits me fine!!
    What's the capacity of the O2 in Dublin though? Would it be enough to entice them over here rather than sticking with the UK?

Sure, i think last time it was around the 10,000 mark.

Newcastle and Birmingham are both smaller and have had events (Birmingham a few times)

• Advertisement

Why do people hate on Jon Jones so much? He's a great fighter, LHW champion and all but i just can't stand him. He's not done much wrong but there's just somethin about him that makes me wanna kick him in the balls every time i see him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Why do people hate on Jon Jones so much? He's a great fighter, LHW champion and all but i just can't stand him. He's not done much wrong but there's just somethin about him that makes me wanna kick him in the balls every time i see him

No humility, comes across as very arrogant. Every time he speaks and tries to say something respectful or humble it reeks of arrogance, smarm for a lack of a proper word.

Take the incident with him dropping Machida, Jackson has to tell him to go over and pretend to check his opponent is ok. The reason? To get more fans, not because it would the decent thing to do or anything like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

weemcd wrote: »
    No humility, comes across as very arrogant. Every time he speaks and tries to say something respectful or humble it reeks of arrogance, smarm for a lack of a proper word.

Take the incident with him dropping Machida, Jackson has to tell him to go over and pretend to check his opponent is ok. The reason? To get more fans, not because it would the decent thing to do or anything like that...

I'd completely agree. It's bad enough that he dropped him like a sack of potatoes, but to only check on the welfare of his opponent when he's instructed to "for the fans" makes it so much worse.

Fair enough if he's the champion, but his arrogance makes him seem invincible, when nobody is in MMA...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jon Jones "arrogance" is SEVERELY over estimated by all who tend to dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jon Jones "arrogance" is SEVERELY over estimated by all who tend to dislike him.

Listen to him on opie and Anthony and watch the video where he choke Jim Norton a little longer after he tapes. also the one where he kicks him.
    He is a great fighter but a tool.

• Advertisement

Tubbs4 wrote: »

Listen to him on opie and Anthony and watch the video where he choke Jim Norton a little longer after he tapes. also the one where he kicks him.

Haven't seen/heard those. links?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you serious?

Here's the choke video.

Here's the kick? What is wrong with that. The hosts and the Norton guy cleary asked him to do it for comedy. And it wasn't even close to a full kick.

This is a comedy show. It's obviously just a laugh. And the guys are putting themsleves in that situation. The Machida thing was questionable (I think people are still over reacting because its Jones) but using the above as example as why he is a tool is ridiculous.

Wow, having just seen the videos you were talking about thanks to Mellor linking, you have really proved my point as to how those who see him as arrogant over-state his arrogance.

I have no idea what you thought was wrong in either of those instances, but if they are you examples of someone being a dick then I truely dispair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Those strikes were completely over exaggerated, it's all hype for radio. Even in training you always hold a choke .5/1 sec after your partner taps. It's the muscle delay from being told to ''squeeze like fack'' to relaxing. It's a gradual release of presure.

I too hate his guts. That' just he won't tweet back to me. Must be too arrogant to deal with Irish fans.

On the plus side Mark Hunt tweeted me back :D

empacher wrote: »
    Those strikes were completely over exaggerated, it's all hype for radio. Even in training you always hold a choke .5/1 sec after your partner taps. It's the muscle delay from being told to ''squeeze like fack'' to relaxing. It's a gradual release of presure.

I too hate his guts. That' just he won't tweet back to me. Must be too arrogant to deal with Irish fans.

On the plus side Mark Hunt tweeted me back :D

Jon Jones will only tweet you back if you say you're Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

After that show they states he seems an arrogant d ick. Look up Jim Norton and loads of the UFC guys do moves on him. he only ever complained about him and fedor holding moves too long.
    I listen to the show and whenever his on i think he's fake.
    He is a great fighter no doubt and i couldn't believe the way he handled bonnar.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

UFC Offers Hector Lombard A Contract, Bellator May Counter
    Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has told Sherdog that his Middleweight champion Hector Lombard (31-2-1, 1 NC) has been offered a contract by the UFC. Rebney has the option to match the contract and will make that decision next week.

"We've received the final proposed UFC agreement from Hector's attorney, and right now we are in the process of reviewing it to determine whether we're going to match the agreement. We've got the 60 pages of UFC contract that were forwarded to us by Hector's counsel. We've been waiting on the actual contract itself to see all of the specifics and every conceivable detail and know exactly what is being offered. Now we have something really specific to look at," Rebney told Sherdog.

As part of his Bellator contract, Lombard had to wait a couple of months after his current contract expired before he could talk to competing promotions. Now he is in a period where Bellator has the option of matching any contract offer he receives.

I assume Lombard does not have to accept any such counter-offer but he might be forced to wait an additional time period if Bellator matches the UFC and he doesn't want to re-sign with Bellator. For the 34-year-old Lombard time is of the essence

"The reality is that Hector is going to do extremely well whether he is fighting in the Octagon or the Bellator circle, and I think everybody knew that. He's one of the best middleweights on the face of the earth," Rebney said. "He hasn't fought in a long time, and he had to wait through these periods contractually to get to a point where he could go out and seek an offer from a competing organization.

"Out of respect for Hector, I think we will turn [the UFC contract] around very quickly," said Rebney. "Obviously, we have a huge event coming up Friday [Bellator 66]. As soon as that is over, we will sit down with our partners and go through the UFC contract line-for-line and make a strategic decision whether we're going to match it or pass. [If we pass, we will] wish him the best and let him go knock out everybody in the UFC."

Let's hope Rebney is true to his word and expedites the process. It's a hard spot for the promotion. Lombard is easily one of their most high-profile fighters along with former Lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez and Welterweight champ Ben Askren.

Alvarez is also nearing the end of his contract and has indicated some interest in signing with the UFC.

According to Bellator's tournament system Lombard should fight Alexander Shlemenko, the most recent MW tournament winner, for the title but Lombard is sitting out his contract and Shlemenko suffered serious injuries in a car wreck, including a broken collar bone.

Regardless it's clear that Lombard has outgrown MMA's #2 organization and is at a now-or-never point with the UFC.
    Linky

Was only a matter of time really

I'd love to see Lombard sign with the UFC. Some new blood in the middleweight division would be nice.

I'd love to see Lombard take on the best of the UFC's MW division. I reckon he's up there and needs to fight the best in order to stake a claim to being the best.

Also, i'd love to see people give out about Jon Jones being a c*ck after he signs. Lombard is one of the most dislikable people in all of sport!

Also, i'd love to see people give out about Jon Jones being a c*ck after he signs. Lombard is one of the most dislikable people in all of sport!

Gym-Bully, Alpha Male douche, can-crusher. All adds up into one big soup of dislike ;)

• Advertisement

I don't know if Belator will be able to match the UFC contract. Their jsut isn't enough fights in the Belator MW decision to promote Lombard to his full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Rebney knows he can't compete however is putting on more shows in order to keep their champs righting. Look forward to see him in UFC. Belator on spike next year might improve their ability to keep their roster.

Dana has just tweeted that it's Mir v JDS for HW title. Nice fight

Hmmm, surprised it was announced before the NSAC hearing. Now who does Velasquez fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Mellor wrote: »
    Hmmm, surprised it was announced before the NSAC hearing. Now who does Velasquez fight
    Fabricio Werdum

Confirmed?
    That's who I suggested/predicted when the Overeem situation was announced first

Roy Nelson just said on Facebook

"Just asked if I would fight cain for #1 contendership, answer is YES! Overeem pissed hot is my gain!"

"Just asked if I would fight cain for #1 contendership, answer is YES! Overeem pissed hot is my gain!"

Just came on to post this, tricky fight for Cain, should win though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

And then immediately tweeted afterwards that he'd fight JDS for the title.

Delusional or what...

• Advertisement

And then immediately tweeted afterwards that he'd fight JDS for the title.

Delusional or what...

He's a tough tough guy but he has no business being anywhere near that title!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement