Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dean09 wrote: »
    I know this is nothing that people didn't already suspect, but it'll be interesting to see what Sonnens reply will be. That's if he even bothers to reply.

Mma doctor Johnny Benjamin speaking about Chael Sonnens TRT:
    “Was Chael Sonnen a big time collegiate wrestler? Yes he was. I’m going to opine and say to you, there’s no way in the world you get to the level of collegiate wrestling that Chael Sonnen was at, with hypogonadism. Let me explain to you why. Hypogonadism means that the testes did not produce enough testosterone for one to normally mature. He wasn’t on TRT as a teenager. He became this big, muscled up monster and NCAA wrestler with hypogonadism? Hell no. The truth of the matter is, you could never get to that level, because you’re not going to have the muscle mass and strength to get you there. They’re going to run you over. Your body will not allow you to develop enough muscle and strength to compete at your size. If he has hypogonadism, it’s from one thing, and one thing only, because he treated himself with steroids in the past, and wrecked his testes. That’s it.”
    Obviously, steroid abuse is a possibility for anybody in sports that suffers from testosterone issue. that goes without saying.

But who the fk is Johnny Benjamin. He's a spinal surgeon. Does he call himself an MMA doctor. How has he suddenly started speaking out regarding boxing and MMA. More importantly why?
    I first came accros him in a previous thread, also about TRT. And within it he made some pretty basic errors that made me question his credibility and motives.

For example, his argument above is a false dichotomy. it's true that Chael probably couldn't achieve wrestling success, or large size if he had hypogonadism - but his suggestion that steroids is the only option is stupid - again I'd question his agenda.
    I've a very basic medical knowledge, i'm not a doctor. but I'm aware there are two ways to class the like of hypogonadism, Congenital (ie from birth, genetic) and acquired (something you emerged in life). Steroid abuse is one form of acquired, but it can be caused by sickness, brain injury, and commonly through hormone decline in older men. Everyone's hormones will decrease gradually, but sometimes they decrease more rapidly and you drop below the level for even an aging male. It's known as "symptomatic late onset hypogonadism".

I'm not saying any of these apply to Chael, I don't know or care. But this doctor is obviously aware that its a possibility, so the repeat controversial statements likes that sound like to me he wants website hits for his private spinal clinic.

Apparent, the doc also thinks UFC is essentially a racist organisation.
    I know race is a particularly unpopular and unpleasant topic in the United States. Most honest people know that it is an unresolved issue but are hesitant to acknowledge or rationally discuss it.

Any time that I discuss the topic I am vilified more than usual; I've grown accustomed to it.

Each and every time that I view a UFC presentation I have an uneasy feeling. I'm always left with the impression that I just paid to watch a drunken frat party; images of beer bongs and guys passed out in the bushes with their pants pulled down creep into my mind.

The crowds are overwhelmingly raucous white males. The few black males in attendance are commonly professional athletes and entertainers...which as we all know don't count.

The official faces of the octagon are Dana White, Goldberg, Rogan and Buffer.

Until recently, none of the ring card girls were black. And I hope that the lovely Chandella doesn't frequent popular MMA forums and chat rooms because the things that were said about her being added to the line up by the MMA faithful were unusually harsh.

Besides Herb Dean the only black men that are routinely seen within the octagon are a few of the athletes themselves. Let's talk about that for a moment. - burt watson and Leon Tabbs would probably disagree.

Name me one top black UFC fighter that doesn't routinely get booed or chanted against during their fights: Silva, Evans, Rampage, Jones...I'm waiting.

Fans have their favorite fighters...for whatever reason. I get it. But being compelled to offer racial slurs speaks to something a bit deeper and darker.

The racial slurs that are hurled during the fighter walk-ins make me think of a European football stadium...complete with nazi-themed. bedazzled T-shirts

Don't tell me different because I've been there and so have you.

I won't even begin to discuss the vitriol that is unleashed towards black fighters on internet discussion forums...truly sickening. It is amazing how honest many people become when they can hide behind the anonymity of a screen name.

No one likes to see their favorite fighter get their ass handed to them but it quickly becomes racial when a black guy hands it to them.

The anti-Anderson Silva pre-fight boo's and rhetoric was deafening at UFC 101 in Philadelphia just before the arena fell silent along with fan favorite Forrest Griffin.

At UFC 126, the chants of "BADER...BADER" didn't last long after Jon Jones left Ryan gasping for air.

The cheers for Franklin vs. Griffin shook the arena. These are two all-time, fan favorite fighters that are both no longer relevant in the title mix. The crowd cheered Bader, Franklin and Griffin and booed the most talented relevant fighter, Jones.

Part of the popularity of the UFC seems to be related to the domination of the white male wrestler. I think it may be seen as one of the last sporting bastions of white male superiority.

Simply put. The UFC/MMA ,in large part, appeals to a young, white male demographic because young, white males are very good at it. They can cheer for their own, drink with their own and feel good about it when their guy wins.

Do I think that the UFC and/or Dana White are racists?

Nope...not at all.

Does Dana understand his fan base (for better or worse) and markets to them like any successful businessperson...even if it appeals a deep-seated human deficiency?

Yes sir!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wait, he thinks the reletive unpopularity in some corners of Silva, Rampage, Evans and Jones is because they are black?

Is this Jonny Benjamin or Mo Lawal writing this crap?

That must be why whenever I see Bendo, Malvin Guillard, Mighty Mouse Johnson, Overeem, Jacaré, Cormier, Pettis, etc come to the ring, all I can hear is racial slurs coming from the crowd! No cheers at all!

That explains it! :rolleyes:

Exactly, the fking hate the race card getting played for things like that.

Silva since copped on and is in a love/hate spot verses Chael's love/hate. Jones was loved by the fans as a rising star, it was only after he got he belt that people turned on him, the ego, machida drop and the DUI being reasons. Evans and Rampage, nice job of overlooking their personalities Dr. Johnny.

DEMETRIOUS_JOHNSON.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I never saw that other article about the racist stuff!! It seems like he's a fool.
    I didn't say I agreed with him, I'm just wondering will Chael bother responding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

So are they going to South Africa for just the White Market?

Also talking about Herb Deane is stupid its the Athletic commissions that put the ref's in there and not UFC.

I just realised the Silva v Sonnen fight is on the day I'm travelling to America. Bollox!
    Does anybody know what time it starts at ET? Hopefully I'll get there before it and can get straight to the pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

From here it says 10pm ET (when the card starts, not the fight).

There's a sidebar for entering a US/Canadian zip code to find local bars showing the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just realised the Silva v Sonnen fight is on the day I'm travelling to America. Bollox!
    Does anybody know what time it starts at ET? Hopefully I'll get there before it and can get straight to the pub!

Where in America you going?
    Main event would be roughly 1am EST/10pm PST

Going to Florida. I can't remember what time I land there at though so I'll have to check the email and find out.

• Advertisement

Going to Florida. I can't remember what time I land there at though so I'll have to check the email and find out.

Priorities man! :/

Leeg17 wrote: »

Priorities man! :/
    I have to make sure I don't miss this fight!! :)
    Crisis over...... I land at 5pm local time. For some reason I thought it was a night time flight. Thank fúck for that!!

I have to make sure I don't miss this fight!! :)
    Crisis over...... I land at 5pm local time. For some reason I thought it was a night time flight. Thank fúck for that!!

That was my point! ;)
    (Badly worded I know)

At least you've time to settle in, and find a good bar.

Leeg17 wrote: »

At least you've time to settle in, and find a good bar.

Yeah I think there's a Hooters across from the hotel so I'll go there.........for handyness sake of course....
    <_< >_>

Yeah I think there's a Hooters across from the hotel so I'll go there.........for handyness sake of course....
    <_< >_>

I hear they have nice .. drinks.

Another injury in the UFC...Nogueira ruled out for the UFC 149 match against Cheick Kongo:
    Oh, Canada.

The UFC 149 fight card scheduled for Sat., July 21, 2012, at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta has continued to be ravaged by injuries forcing drop outs and a near complete rearranging of the card.

The latest casualty is reportedly Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who apparently hasn't full healed from the broken arm given to him by Frank Mir at UFC 140 on Dec. 10, 2011. His recovery is taking longer than expected, according to a Sherdog.com report, and that has forced him out of his planned match-up against Cheick Kongo.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I know this is nothing that people didn't already suspect, but it'll be interesting to see what Sonnens reply will be. That's if he even bothers to reply.

Mma doctor Johnny Benjamin speaking about Chael Sonnens TRT:
    “Was Chael Sonnen a big time collegiate wrestler? Yes he was. I’m going to opine and say to you, there’s no way in the world you get to the level of collegiate wrestling that Chael Sonnen was at, with hypogonadism. Let me explain to you why. Hypogonadism means that the testes did not produce enough testosterone for one to normally mature. He wasn’t on TRT as a teenager. He became this big, muscled up monster and NCAA wrestler with hypogonadism? Hell no. The truth of the matter is, you could never get to that level, because you’re not going to have the muscle mass and strength to get you there. They’re going to run you over. Your body will not allow you to develop enough muscle and strength to compete at your size. If he has hypogonadism, it’s from one thing, and one thing only, because he treated himself with steroids in the past, and wrecked his testes. That’s it.”

Dr Benjamin needs to get his ass over to PudMed and do some reasearch on the impact of dramatic weight loss on the endocrine system.

I dunno whether this belongs in here or the MMA Humour thread..........

Source
    Anderson Silva is back, and so is Steven Seagal. He spoke to Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour about a myriad of topics including Anderson Silva's next bout against Chael Sonnen. The actor and practitioner of traditional martial arts says that on UFC 148, people can expect to see some new and unique things that he has just taught the UFC champion:
    "I have (trained with Anderson Silva for this camp). I gave him some stuff that I consider to be very special, and I think it is also stuff that I don't think most people will be expecting."
    "Well, there are millions of techniques that no one has ever seen in the UFC. I've showed him some of those, but I'm not going to talk about what they are. There are things that I think if Anderson decides to use them, they'll be very effective."
    "One never knows what a fighter is going to do until he gets out there. When he fought... Vitor Belfort, I was with him until seconds before he went out. That was exactly what I asked him to do and to a ‘T,' it was just perfect. Sometimes they do it, what you suggested and what you taught. Sometimes they go on their own, because he has an amazing plethora of different techniques, they're very effective."
    "...We were doing Mixed Martial Arts before they even began using that term, so I've got a plethora of techniques that are not widely used in the UFC at all. I'm trying to bring some of those with me 'cause I think they'll be very effective."
    star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
    Seagal talked about what kind of a student Silva was:
    "With me he's already been very, very, very humble. He either fears me pretends to fear me. He's a consummate gentleman, a great student and a great friend. To me he's the way I'd want any of my students or friends to be."
    As for the first bout against Chael Sonnen, Seagal says he had an unfair advantage on their first bout, but this time, he thinks Silva will win handily:
    "Chael last time had an extremely unfair advantage. Because, you know, that whole deal with I don't know what it's called, steroids, or whatever, performance-enhancing drugs or whatever. ... I think this time, probably he'll be a little more careful with that, and I think that will even the playing field."
    "Let's just say this, I think this time, they're both going to be at their best. I don't think there's going to be any controversy, I don't think there's going to be any injuries. I think two great fighters are going to go out there and have it out, and I think my guy's going to win. My guy's going to win handily this time."

Seagal is batshít crazy! :pac:

ONE FC took place over the weekend and there was a bit of a treat for Pride fans in the Moreira v Huerta fight here:

http://www.allthebestfights.com/roger-huerta-vs-zorobabel-moreira-full-fight-video-one-fc-4/

Skip to 17:30 and no, that isn't Frank Trigg, it really is Roger Huerta :P

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    ONE FC took place over the weekend and there was a bit of a treat for Pride fans in the Moreira v Huerta fight here:

http://www.allthebestfights.com/roger-huerta-vs-zorobabel-moreira-full-fight-video-one-fc-4/

Skip to 17:30 and no, that isn't Frank Trigg, it really is Roger Huerta :P

That was nasty-glad ufc don't have soccer kicks-lethal move.

That has to be a different Huerta than the guy who was in ufc-watched that on my phone and the footage is hasy

• Advertisement

pauldoo wrote: »
    That was nasty-glad ufc don't have soccer kicks-lethal move.

That has to be a different Huerta than the guy who was in ufc-watched that on my phone and the footage is hasy

No it's definitely Roger Huerta. he just has a shaved head now and looks bigger because that fight took place at WW.

But it was definitely him! He's lost 4 on the trot now! His last fight before this one was a loss to War Machine! Bloody War Machine!

Ref was terrible, he should have stopped when he took the knee slouched against the Fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Ref was terrible, he should have stopped when he took the knee slouched against the Fence.

While I enjoyed watching it(What can I say? Brutality is entertaining!). Zoro should have been DQ'd, the ref never called "open attack" and in fact was shouting "no kick, no kick, no kick" before Moreira nailed him.

(The open attack rule with the same as the old CR "open guard" rule. It allows kicks to the head of a grounded opponent, only when the opponent is in position to defend against the attack ie on his back in open guard. The ref also must call "open attack" for those techniques to be legal)

Agree was just stating it should have never gotten to that stage, although I didn't enjoy it one bit.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by this one. I know he's 1-2 in the UFC but I thought he'd be given a bit more of a chance. He seemed like a decent fighter who I would've liked to see more of.

Source
    In a bit of surprising news today, UFC welterweight and BJJ ace, Carlos Eduardo Rocha, has been released by the promotion after his decision loss to Mike Pierce at UFC on FX 4. Rocha shared the news and his frustrations about the Pierce fight to Tatame:

"I went there to fight MMA and he wants to win by points. There were 15 minutes of pure stalling This is bull****. And UFC fires me after a fight where the guy just stood there stalling. I had good performances and even so I was cut off. I didn’t expect this.
    Wasn’t he the one who said he’d fight any Brazilian because it’s an easy fight? I thought he could come for me but he didn’t. He didn’t attack me on the clinch, he didn’t hit me nor let me hit him. That’s not MMA.
    There was one promotion (that made him an offer), but the guy didn’t wanna fight me. Now let’s move on, keep my head up. I never give up. I know I’ll get better next time so I can have another chance in the UFC."

Rocha was 1-2 in his UFC career, debuting with a quick kneebar submission against Kris McCray, and then dropping a spirited decision to Jake Ellenberger, before the loss to Pierce last weekend. Those two decision losses were the only losses of his 11-fight career.

the ufc are doin some good shows, matt serra goes to different camps every week, last week chael sonnen, this week was forrest, pretty funny

http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-camp-insider-matt-serra-forrest-griffin

New movie called 'here comes the boom', doesnt look too bad, the UFC have allowed the brand to be used in the movie

http://youtu.be/rfBo532SHBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

New movie called 'here comes the boom', doesnt look too bad, the UFC have allowed the brand to be used in the movie

http://youtu.be/rfBo532SHBQ

I rolled my eyes when I saw Kevin James attached to this, looking like a very generic american situation comedy, however the trailer doesn't look too bad, though it isn't funny at all. I will have to watch it for Bas tho, the man is an absolute hero of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kevin James is brilliant in King of Queens, one of my favourite sitcoms but he's not great when it comes to films, usually Adam Sandlers but looking forward to this. James has been an MMA enthusiast and trains in MMA for ages so he should look comfortable pulling off the moves.

Here's a great scene from King of Queens with some legends!

• Advertisement

the ufc are doin some good shows, matt serra goes to different camps every week, last week chael sonnen, this week was forrest, pretty funny

http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-camp-insider-matt-serra-forrest-griffin

Watched the Chael one last week. I love Serra, but he neds to stop talking about himself and Ray Longo and focus more on the subject.

There were some good moments in it though. Especially when Chael told him about Paulo Filho and the WEC belt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement