Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Watched the Chael one last week. I love Serra, but he neds to stop talking about himself and Ray Longo and focus more on the subject.

There were some good moments in it though. Especially when Chael told him about Paulo Filho and the WEC belt.

thought that was pretty cool what paulo filho did, Serra seems to mention longo destroying the jacks a lot. Sonnen comes across pretty well in the video

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Too much Serra talking shíte in that video for my liking, I have no interest in watching him go for a pizza. That format would be good if they could get Rachelle Leah or Ariel Helwani to go to gyms interviewing the different camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Gunnar Nelson has been offered a 4 fight contract with the UFC

Here are quotes from Chris "The Killing" Fields about Gunnar
    “It’s great news, the guy deserves it so much, he is a beast. Not only is it great for SBG but it’s great for Irish and Icelandic MMA, cause I know he will make such a big impression and it might open the door for a few of us”

“I’m headed over to train with him tomorrow for a week, and i’m sure, knowing him there won’t be a chance of expression on his face”

More, including quotes from John Kavanagh and Cathal Pendred at http://severemma.com/2012/07/03/gunnar-nelson-set-to-sign-for-the-ultimate-fighting-championship/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Delighted for him. Great fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well deserved. Lookin forward to seeing him in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

awesome :D Look out GSP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Wow, excellent news, I would have thought a 4 fight deal is as much as they will give a newcomer to the UFC. Hopefully he'll be on the Nottingham card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So Bisping has called out Belcher and to a lesser extent Brian Stann.

Stann has called out Bisping.

I'd dig Bisping v Belcher and Stann to fight the loser of Boetsch Lombard.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29504/ufc-middleweight-michael-bisping-eyes-fall-return-fights-with-belcher-or-stann.mma

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29509/shoulder-mending-brian-stann-calls-out-michael-bisping-for-ufc-152.mma

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ush1 wrote: »
    So Bisping has called out Belcher and to a lesser extent Brian Stann.

Stann has called out Bisping.

I'd dig Bisping v Belcher and Stann to fight the loser of Boetsch Lombard.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29504/ufc-middleweight-michael-bisping-eyes-fall-return-fights-with-belcher-or-stann.mma

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29509/shoulder-mending-brian-stann-calls-out-michael-bisping-for-ufc-152.mma

Hmmm........... suddenly the MW division is competitive!

I'd like to see any combination of fights between Bisping, Stann & Belcher!

I'd like to see Stann ko Bisping.

And Stann v Belcher would be an interesting one. I really like both guys and I think it'd be hard to call. On the feet, I think Stann would win. But if it went to the ground I think Belchers bjj would be too good for Stann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Jim Manuwa and Tom Kong Watson both signed to the UFC !

Ireland next please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

These lads will surely be used for the Nottingham card.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    These lads will surely be used for the Nottingham card.
    More than likely.
    Looking forward to seeing Tom Watson in the UFC. I think he's a good fighter and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with the step up in competition.
    The last fight I seen him in was when he destroyed Shoguns brother. He was very impressive. Haven't seen much of him since.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hmmm........... suddenly the MW division is competitive!

I'd like to see any combination of fights between Bisping, Stann & Belcher!

Throw in Vitor and Munoz/Weidman and you really got a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Need I say Hector ?

actually good breakdown of his.... hmmm situation

(personally I reckon he'll throttle everyone maybe bar top 2/3 contenders)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1231305-ufc-why-hector-lombard-does-not-deserve-a-title-shot-if-he-beats-tim-boetsch

Good to see Kong Watson have a crack! It's been a long time coming IMO!

Rumour has it that Jussier Da Silva has signed with the UFC.
    #2 Flyweight in the world, see him having first crack at the belt when the champ is decided.
    His manager tweeted it around yesterday if you want to see.
    Manager's Twitter
    Wikipedia link
    And if you don't know this guy, be excited.

Vinny Magalhaes has finally gotten his 2nd chance with the UFC! He's fighting Igor Pokrajac at UFC 152.

His release in the first place was a bit swift, the loss to Marshall was lacklustre but the guy has such grappling credentials and had gotten to the final of TUF.

Been on a bit of a run lately. He's the current M1 LHW Champ.

Intrigued to see how he gets on!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Really surprised there's no 149 thread.
    (Interim) Championship fight, plus Hector Lombard's debut. Expected more hype.

Faber fight will be good.. but hope there's a finish otherwise I don't like watching the smaller guys.

Don't care about Kongo, will deffo watch Ebersole I think he's really good and possibly under rated and he's fearless and tries weird stuff.

It's alllll about Boetsch and Lombard.

On paper it's a relatively easy fight for Lombard who should have the power to steamroll Boetsch but as we know Boetsch is an absolute warrior and can take such a punch it's not even funny so the risk is for Lombard to get caught in a sub... but he'd be too strong in the first 5 mins for that so the odds are heavily against Boetsch, and anyway everybody is kinda secretly hoping like me that Lombard completely destroys Boetsch in a shocking fashion thus creating a 'seemingly' credible opponent for the Brazilian Genius. Business-wise it's a no brainer for Dana - there's hype around Lombard... nobody likes him.. and Silva is PPV Gold after the Sonnen fights so best thing to happen for Dana is for Lombard to destroy Boetsch very easily and then just give him Silva straight away for November but most likely December. I personally see Lombard as more of a threat than anyone else.. but only that.. a threat. I guess We'll see on Saturday night... which is pretty much the only reason I'll be staying up for this one. (I've been hypin Lombard for years so its vindication or eat my hat time!)

• Advertisement

On paper it's a relatively easy fight for Lombard who should have the power to steamroll Boetsch but as we know Boetsch is an absolute warrior and can take such a punch it's not even funny so the risk is for Lombard to get caught in a sub...
    Lombard's a BJJ black belt and judo blackbelt. He not likely to get subbed.

Boesch's only area of advantage is wrestling, but as above HL's BJJ and judo off set that.

Mellor wrote: »
    Really surprised there's no 149 thread.
    (Interim) Championship fight, plus Hector Lombard's debut. Expected more hype.

Yea, i like the card too, Barao vs Faber is a great fight, not a championship fight in my opinion but still

Maybe most fan have been living under a rock and havent heard of Hector Lombard?

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Yea, i like the card too, Barao vs Faber is a great fight, not a championship fight in my opinion but still

Maybe most fan have been living under a rock and havent heard of Hector Lombard?

You'd be surprised. A lot of "fans" wouldn't even know guys fighting on prelims, never mind in other promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lombard completely destroys Boetsch in a shocking fashion thus creating a 'seemingly' credible opponent for the Brazilian Genius.

Lombard says he will turn down a title shot because he wants to fight Mark Munoz to "shut him up" for his recent trash talk!

Dana said at the press conference that Lombard wont be fighting Munoz if he wins, he said Lombard must not have FuelTV

I don't see any area that Boetsch can win really - he says he's gona try n throw Lombard.. don't see that happening - Boetsch has heavy hands though and needs to get in a couple chin shots early or it's game over. Munoz is just playing the game talkin trash about Lombard - he knows that'd be a good pay day is all. Lombard is already a massive scalp for anyone but it comes with severe risk - the guy could really do more damage to you than anyone else in the division. Anyway apart from nuthugging Lombard I'd actually love to see an improved Boetsch make this into a fight of the year war and it could go that way.
    Also wouldn't Palhares v Lombard be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Surely Weidman is next for the title shot then?

Gotta be Belfort vs Belcher winner against the Bisping vs Stann winner. That leaves Weidman in the seat now.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Surely Weidman is next for the title shot then?

Gotta be Belfort vs Belcher winner against the Bisping vs Stann winner. That leaves Weidman in the seat now.

I'd like to see that but apparently Andersons camp are more interested in Luke Rockhold. Rockhold wants to rematch Jacare though next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement