Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I thougth they were trying to do a deal with sky sports?? espn`s coverage of mma is very limited, they never show any old coverage of fights. sky would really push mma i reckon.

It's only a one year deal so maybe they're trying to work on getting the right Sky Sports deal in the mean time? Here's more on it..
    The Ultimate Fighting Championship, home of the greatest mixed martial artists on the planet, has signed a new broadcasting deal with ESPN, giving the channel the rights to all main live UFC events until August 2013.

Confirming its status as the home of the UFC, ESPN's extension of the existing contract guarantees that all major UFC events will be shown in the UK and Ireland for the next 12 months.
    The agreement between the UFC and ESPN is for All American Pay-Per-View events and Fight Nights.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/162944.html#EQykbrrF0Zz81JpX.99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mellor wrote: »
    Because if he doesn't fight by the end if the year that will be almost 9 months since he defended.

He's booked to fight in September?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

all major UFC events will be shown in the UK and Ireland for the next 12 months.
    The agreement between the UFC and ESPN is for All American Pay-Per-View events and Fight Nights.

That doesn't tell us much...

"All major events"? What class as minor events?

There are no fight nights anymore. It's numbered ppv, Fox, FX and Fuel. Are they all included?

No sign of prelims returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

New ESPN deal signed until August 2013.

Kinda disappointed by this!

There was a chance for a fresh start with another broadcaster making MMA a priority like ESPN did at first, lots of content and Prelims specials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Personally think the short contract is because the ufc didnt get a broadcaster they really wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

Will Vera be tested for ice-cream before this fight?

Well the good news is I managed an answer from Zelaznik on facebook.

The bad news is its a crap answer.

"With very few exceptions, ESPN will be airing all UFC events for the next 12 months".

He has yet to confirm which events are the exceptions, where those exceptions will end up, or whether the prelims will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ariel Helwani interviewed Bret "The Hitman" Hart before UFC 149 and it was pretty fantastic. If you grew up on this stuff like me then you have nothing but respect for the man. There's even a mention of the infamous "Montreal Screwjob" at Survivor Series '97 at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

always wanted the shades!

Anyone know what this is about? Just saw it on BJPenn.com

450x397xevans-sonnen.jpg.speedilic.ic.oEGHPEpfst.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

think it was all friendly

im actually looking forward to this, for old times sake;

http://www.mmaweekly.com/andrei-arlovski-and-tim-sylvia-meet-for-the-fourth-time-at-one-fc-5

Also, anyone any idea what year it is??

Edit: Pauldoo just beat me to it!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Also, anyone any idea what year it is??

Edit: Pauldoo just beat me to it!

its a great year-this has fight of the year written all over it. winner gets the winner of kimo v art jameson!

pauldoo wrote: »
    its a great year-this has fight of the year written all over it. winner gets the winner of kimo v art jameson!

Kimo v Art should be a hanicap match. Kimo has to wear one-glove and Art has to fight whilst on a crucifix!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Matt Hamill Has come out of retirement. I wonder what made him make that decision? Money??

Aug 3, 2012 - Despite citing accumulated injuries and career fatigue as reasons for leaving mixed martial arts, light heavyweight Matt Hamill has ended his year-long retirement and will return to the UFC Octagon on September 22nd at UFC 152 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Yahoo! Sports was the first to report the news.

Hamill, 35, retired with a formal announcement on August 8, 2011. This came just two days after being stopped by strikes in the second round in his bout Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The loss to Gustafsson was Hamill's second in a row, having dropped a unanimous decision to Quinton Jackson at UFC 130.

"Today is a sad day for me," Hamill announced last year on his official website. "After six years and 13 fights in the UFC, I'm ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport."

"I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130, but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance," Hamill continued. "My career has been plagued by injuries starting with 'The Ultimate Fighter' and disrupted my training ever since. There hasn't been even one training camp where I've been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It's time to finally give it a rest."

No reason was given explaining what prompted Hamill to return to professional MMA.

The only deaf fighter to have competed in the UFC, Hamill accumulated a 10-4 MMA record with only one fight (a win in his MMA professional debut) outside of the UFC. He rose to prominence on the third season of Spike TV's 'The Ultimate Fighter' as part of Team Ortiz.

An accomplished amateur wrestler, he is a three-time NCAA Division III national champion and earned a gold medal at 2001 Deaflympics. His life was the subject the of movie 'Hamill', released in 2010.

Hollett is 13-3 in his MMA career and a native of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He is making his UFC debut after a career spent competing entirely in Canada, predominantly on regional shows. He holds a victory over UFC veteran Victor Valimaki and most recently fought for Bellator where he defeated John Hawk by split decision in November of 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

Very surprised by this, i honestly thought he was way over-rated anyway, not a bad gate-keeper though.

maybe hes back to hand out another beating to jon jones and take his belt this time

:D he ****ed jones up big time last time out, jones will def move to heavyweight now!! (pardon the pun)

:D he ****ed jones up big time last time out, jones will def move to heavyweight now!! (pardon the pun)

I don't think Jon Jones' elbows have ever been the same since that night when The Hammer used his face as an elbow battering ram!

There's a good part in the matt hamil movie,where his dad used throw tins of beans at his head to harden it up. First thing he'll do in the rematch is pull guard and offer his head on a plate to Jones,see of Jones has the bottle to try it again

• Advertisement

is that movie any good?

never seen it :)

was on my brothers netflix and had time to watch either the matt hamill one or the jens pulver one, chose the later, that was good, but depressing enough

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I used to be a fan of Hamill's till he retired. I still am in a way, us being Deaf and stuff but I think he's better of being retired than coming back to fight. What's gonna happen the next time he gets hurt, he's never the one to handle it very well. It's interesting that it was suggested he should drop down to 185, I always wanted to see another rematch with Bisping, but he/camp rebuffed the suggestion to MW quickly. He missed being a ''famous'' fighter is not the right way to get back into another fight.

Also, the film was interesting from a Deaf perspective, but the overall film was ok. Some tidy cinematography with a few funny lines. Rich Franklin has a small part in it as one of his coaches from Purdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

LOS ANGELES – A major cut suffered in training that required several stitches will keep Rory MacDonald from a highly anticipated welterweight fight against B.J. Penn at UFC 152 next month.

UFC President Dana White on Saturday told MMAjunkie.com of the injury following Saturday's post-event news conference for UFC on FOX 4, which took place at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

MacDonald (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) had been booked for the main card of UFC 152, which is set for Sept. 22 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

White said MacDonald's cut is over his left eye and said he only found out Saturday night. White said UFC matchmaker Joe Silva showed him a picture of the deep cut.

White also said he has not yet informed Penn that MacDonald is out of the fight and doesn't know if Penn will remain on the card.

"Rory's out. He got cut open today. Wide open – 38, 48 stitches, something like that," White said. "No contact for a month. (The fight is) off. I found out tonight, halfway through the show."

Penn announced a somewhat informal retirement after a unanimous decision loss to Nick Diaz at UFC 137 in October 2011. But MacDonald was able to lure him out for the fight earlier this summer, calling out the former two-division champion.

In recent weeks, the fight was in the news when both fighters agreed to undergo regular pre-fight drug testing through the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.

But now that decision becomes moot.

Linky : http://mmajunkie.com/news/30036/training-cut-forces-rory-macdonald-out-of-ufc-152-fight-against-b-j-penn.mma

scudzilla wrote: »
    He got cut open today. Wide open – 38, 48 stitches, something like that

WTF?

Were they training with an axe?

Or is Dana overreacting? I've been chopped open pretty nicely in accidents and never had more than 11 stitches.

Ah well, BJ Penn's funeral is off for a while...

Maybe by "cut in training" then mean that BJ showed up at his gym and ran over him...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hypothetical question here

If a fight gets underway, and a fighter gets poked in the eye in the early exchanges, due to a language issue between the ref/fighter/doctor they call it off, but the fighter is fine, in fact, both fighters are fine as they've fought less than a minute.

Could the fight be restarted? If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

By language issue, I assume that the doctor asks him some questions and he misunderstands, and based on that its ruled he can't continue.
    The fighter can't changes his answer after the fight is ruled a loss for him, even if its the more accurate answer - as we can't really know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

DrPhilG wrote: »
    WTF?

Were they training with an axe?

Or is Dana overreacting? I've been chopped open pretty nicely in accidents and never had more than 11 stitches.

Ah well, BJ Penn's funeral is off for a while...

Maybe by "cut in training" then mean that BJ showed up at his gym and ran over him...

Someone getting 37 stitches in a gash like that means they went to a really good plastic who put a lot of time and care to get as many sutures in as possible, make the wound as tight and clean as possible so it will heal as quickly as possible leaving as little scar tissue. they could have left it with 9 or 10 and he will left with a bad scar.

Good news for BJ there. I'd like to see BJ get in there with someone he has a chance with. Move back down to 155 where guys aren't ridiculously bigger than you and take another run at the belt. There are so many lads in the mix at LW that there's many options for BJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Good news for BJ there. I'd like to see BJ get in there with someone he has a chance with. Move back down to 155 where guys aren't ridiculously bigger than you and take another run at the belt. There are so many lads in the mix at LW that there's many options for BJ

If you think about it though, do you really think BJ would have a chance at lightweight? Or is it just that you're a BJ fan that you'd want him to do well?
    I'm a fan of his and I'd love to see him win a title again but if I'm honest with myself, he's nothing like the old BJ. It's not like he hasn't got the talent, he just doesn't seem to have the determination or hunger he used to have.
    We already know how Edgar handled him and I think he'd easily handle him again based on BJ's performances lately. Plus you have Bendo who'd also make light work of him imo.
    The LW division is just so stacked at the minute I can't see BJ making any sort of run at the title in his current form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement