Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

On current form, no. But he has shown that when he's sufficiently motivated he can be the best. The BJ who ruled 155 is without doubt the best BJ of all time and the best LW of all time.

Was that the same BJ who fought GSP? Or Edgar? Or Diaz? Sadly not imo. (not to take away from Frankie btw)

Will we ever see that BJ again? Probably not. I'd like to think so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Problem wit BJ is he's nowhere near consistent enough, sure he could go on a 2 fight run, he has the ability for sure, then, i dunno what it is with him, he just seems to lose motivation and is back to square 1

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Diego heading back to lightweight
    He really is one of those fighters caught between divisions in terms of success
    The last time Ultimate Fighter season 1 winner Diego Sanchez was at 155 pounds, he was fighting for the UFC lightweight title.
    That fight, against B.J. Penn in 2009, didn't go his way, and after the fight Sanchez moved back up to welterweight where he had spent the majority of his career to that point.
    Now after some soul searching and, obviously, some dietary changes, Sanchez has decided he will officially move back down to lightweight for his next fight in the UFC.
    “It's back to 155 for me,” Sanchez wrote on his Twitter page recently. “Should be good!”
    According to Sanchez, the unfortunate side of things right now is an injury that's pushing his return to the Octagon back for a few more months. Sanchez underwent shoulder surgery, but is currently rehabbing and working his way back into action.
    The Team Greg Jackson fighter has started the work to get down to 155 pounds already, beginning a vegetarian diet, according to his Twitter page. His excitement to get back in the cage and compete again is already fueling his training.
    “I'm cutting 45 pounds, so it better be someone worthy of a five-rounder,” Sanchez wrote about his return to lightweight. “You fans get me all excited about coming back. Thinking of a opponent is basically irrelevant now being I'm sidelined with a injury.”
    While the decision to cut back down to 155 pounds seems set for Sanchez, now it's all about recovering from the injury so he can get back in the cage to compete again.
    During his last run at lightweight, Sanchez went 2-1 overall including the loss to Penn in his lone title shot since winning the Ultimate Fighter season 1 back in 2005.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/diego-sanchez-returning-lightweight-division-155856201--mma.html

scudzilla wrote: »
    Problem wit BJ is he's nowhere near consistent enough, sure he could go on a 2 fight run, he has the ability for sure, then, i dunno what it is with him, he just seems to lose motivation and is back to square 1

Yup! Once he's arsed he can be one of the best. He wanted that 155 belt and he wanted to show he was the Number 1. He destroyed everyone and then when it came to Frankie he didn't seem to be moivated.

I'm not sure he'll ever have motiviation like that again. It was terrible to see him fade so badly in the Diaz fight! He won the 1st round and then tired horrendously!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

Fighters only just had on their site that Brock lesnar punched another wrestler back stage 3 times, split the guy open, think it was just an undercard guy.

• Advertisement

Fighters only just had on their site that Brock lesnar punched another wrestler back stage 3 times, split the guy open, think it was just an undercard guy.

In his time in the UFC numerous reports surfaced that Brock Lesnar didn’t like to get hit in training leading up to his fights.

Apparently Lesnar doesn’t live by that whole ‘do unto others,’ credo.

According to our friends over at The Wrestling Observer, Lesnar was going through rehearsals for this month’s WWE SummerSlam pay-per-view, when he got into a physical encounter with fellow WWE superstar, Ryback.

Ryback, whose real name is Ryan Reeves, apparently got in a disagreement with Lesnar during an early morning run through in preparation for Lesnar’s big match with Triple H. It seems before things even got underway, emotions got heated and Lesnar struck Reeves three times in the face:
    “Lesnar left the building after getting into a physical altercation with fellow WWE superstar, Ryan Reeves, known in ring as Ryback.

Not much information is being let out, but the source says Lesnar was in the arena early to rehearse a major angle with SummerSlam opponent Triple H. Before things even began, Reeves, who was also in the building, got into a heated argument with Lesnar. It is uncertain what the argument was about.

Reeves put his hands on Lesnar, though the source tells us that people who witnessed it said Reeves was going to apologize. Lesnar shoved Reeves back and a shoving match ensued. Lesnar threw Reeves to the floor and hit him in the face three times before being pulled off.

Reeves suffered a laceration above his left eyebrow which is required stitches. "Ryback" will not be competing tonight as he was originally planned. Lesnar left the building immediately, and all efforts to reach him have failed.”
    Now, keep in mind, these are preliminary reports and nothing has been confirmed by the WWE, but Lesnar has gone through this before.
    During his first tenure in the WWE, Lesnar was rumored to have a less-than-humble approach to 'the business.' In fact, rumors ran rampant that he and a majority of the locker room didn't get along. A rumored altercation with "The Undertaker" and "Mr.Perfect" were just some of the stories floating around the Pro Wrestling circuit.

Assuming this story does hold some weight, then it's utterly disturbing that Lesnar finds it somehow acceptable to be punching anything or anyone after becoming the UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world.

This writer is no lawyer, folks, but I have seen Con Air; and if Nic Cage can be sent to prison for using his fists as 'deadly weapons' defending his girlfriend in a bar fight, then Lesnar has to be held accountable for his actions.

Come to think of it, Lesnar would have fit right in on that, now infamously, doomed flight.

More on this situation as news breaks.

http://www.examiner.com/article/enraged-brock-lesnar-reportedly-assaults-fellow-wwe-superstar

I find the highlighted part to be a pretty bizarre thing to say.

He'd be allowed hit the guy had he not been UFC Champ, but the fact that he was means he's not allowed hit anyone?

That's all Brock is, A Bully.

In the UFC he was fine when he was top dog, but when tougher fighters came along he didn't wanna know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Good news for BJ there. I'd like to see BJ get in there with someone he has a chance with. Move back down to 155 where guys aren't ridiculously bigger than you and take another run at the belt. There are so many lads in the mix at LW that there's many options for BJ

BJ asked (via twitter) for the fight to be put back to the Rio card and asked Rory to stay in the VADA program with him.

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's all Brock is, A Bully.

In the UFC he was fine when he was top dog, but when tougher fighters came along he didn't wanna know.

Bet he wouldn't get into a shoving match with Cain or JDS if they were working in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bet he wouldn't get into a shoving match with Cain or JDS if they were working in WWE.

You underestimate his level of fetal position defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Brock hit Ryback? I just hope it wasn't Casey Ryback. Otherwise it's curtains for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Ryback

I remember about 3 years ago starting a thread asking who people would like to see given a "second chance" in the UFC?

The one I started off with was Jay Hieron as I always thought he was too good NOT to be in the UFC and was unlucky in his short run back in the day (0-2 but the losses were by cut v Goulet and he lost to some other guy called Georges St Pierre).

Well, he's actually FINALLY been given that second chance! He's replaced the injured Kos and fights Ellenberger.

Tough fight for him but about time he was given that second chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Really tough first fight back. But he's beaten Jake before. Hopefully he sets a good run this time around. Glad to see him back.

Bones just tweeted that he's now being sponsored by Nike.
    Massive brand to get involved in the sport! Or do they already sponsor some fighters?

Bones just tweeted that he's now being sponsored by Nike.
    Massive brand to get involved in the sport! Or do they already sponsor some fighters?

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else with such a big sponsor.
    He said a while back that he wanted Nike as a sponsor so he got his wish. This is gonna be worth serious money for him!
    Hopefully it opens the door to other big name sponsors coming in and sponsoring other guys.
    This can really only be good news for the sport as a whole.

Was thinking the same. Only one close I can remember is GSP and Under Armour.
    Absolutely massive deal. I give it a couple of months until somebody has Adidas

And a few more weeks till McDonald's sponsor Roy Nelson.

He's actually getting a Signature line O_o
    Mucho dinero involved in that deal definitely

Anderson Silva is already sponsored by Nike, as is Sexiyama.

But i'm guessing these are localised deals in Brazil & Japan.

Having an American MMA fighter under a Nike deal is bigger!

Seen a couple of tweets about that.
    Silva & Sexiyama are regional deals. Bones is global

• Advertisement

Seen a couple of tweets about that.
    Silva & Sexiyama are regional deals. Bones is global

Yup!

Jones has much bigger potential to be a global mainstream superstar simply by the fact that he can speak english.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Isn't sonnen sponsered by nike-he's always wearing the gear and I think Nike are from Oregon

Big deal though-helpful for the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was thinking the same. Only one close I can remember is GSP and Under Armour.
    Absolutely massive deal. I give it a couple of months until somebody has Adidas
    i imagine the line will be similar to the under armour stuff.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anderson Silva is already sponsored by Nike, as is Sexiyama.

But i'm guessing these are localised deals in Brazil & Japan.

Having an American MMA fighter under a Nike deal is bigger!

I think those two (and caol uno) appeared in regional Nike ads, where as this is a much bigger deal involving a dedicated line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Disgusted that BJ is off the Toronto card. I've already got my ticket so they better have a decent replacement fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Kenny Powers won't be happy with this Nike deal

Mellor wrote: »
    i imagine the line will be similar to the under armour stuff.

I think those two (and caol uno) appeared in regional Nike ads, where as this is a much bigger deal involving a dedicated line.

Its been announced that anderson is also signed to a global deal including a clothing line & "tackies" :D. just seen pics of him at the head offices in the states wearing some of the line.

Ah Christ, they'll never even hit each other, will be 25mins of bowing and touching gloves :rolleyes:

“Georges St-Pierre told me he wants (to fight Anderson Silva). But right now he has to get back on the horse and fight Carlos Condit and be champion again. He needs to keep focused.

“(If the Silva fight happens) ideally I’d like a catch weight. I think it’d be more fair. If you fight at a catch weight, Silva won’t be 20 pounds heavier. 177 or 178 pounds is much more fair.”

In talking with thescore.com, Firas Zahabi confirms that his star pupil, GSP, would like to face Anderson Silva if he is succesfull in getting by Carlos Condit in his next appearance.

Linky : http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/08/10/coach-confirms-gsp-wants-anderson-silva-next-ufc-news-33975.html

Melvin Guillard missed weight for tomorrow night. Weighed in at 157.5
    He's surrendering 10% of his purse.
    Source

looking forward to the max holloway & justin lawrence fight, holloway looked the real deal in his last fight, (plus i think lawrence came across as a cocky prick on tuf)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

That new wiki layout for all UFC events is a load of bullshít. It makes it so hard to find out info on a single event. As the saying goes, if it aint broke, but whoever changed it didnt hear that before then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement