Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Tinie wrote: »
    That new wiki layout for all UFC events is a load of bullshít. It makes it so hard to find out info on a single event. As the saying goes, if it aint broke, but whoever changed it didnt hear that before then.

+1

Would've looked better if they kept it the same but shifted the past events onto another page of past events so you'd only ever have 10 or so on the current page and still have individual pages for each event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »

Yeah I read about that earlier on a different website and they said they think it was a heart attack but they hadn't verified it yet. So it seems it's nothing directly related to the sport. The poor guy just had a dodgy ticker. Sad news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just watched the new numbered event intro again (which I love) and need clarification on one thing. I thought at first the fighters after Chuck/Tito were Condit/Kim, but on second thought it looks like Penn/Uno. Can anyone confirm or deny?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just watched the new numbered event intro again (which I love) and need clarification on one thing. I thought at first the fighters after Chuck/Tito were Condit/Kim, but on second thought it looks like Penn/Uno. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Penn & Sherk

• Advertisement

This is one of the weirdest stories I've read in a while. :confused:
    It's either a strange, desperate attention seeking stunt, or he's really lost it.

Source
    Aug 13, 2012 - Retired fighter Jason "Mayhem" Miller found himself in the MMA headlines last weekend after a series of argumentative back-and-forth tweets with UFC president Dana White. On Monday, he's back in the news, but for something far more serious.

Miller was arrested on Monday morning and taken into custody for burglary, according to the Mission Viejo, California Police Services website. A department spokeswoman reached by MMA Fighting could not immediately offer any additional details of Miller's arrest, citing the Privacy Act.
    TMZ reported that he had broken into a church, sprayed a fire extinguisher and broken many items. They also reported he had been found naked but coherent, sitting on a couch.

According to the Mission Viejo PD site, police were summoned around 8:30 am for a burglary report on the 24100 block of Alicia Parkway and responded four minutes later.

He was arrested and is currently in custody at the Intake Release Center in Santa Ana, facing $20,000 bail. His next hearing on charges will take place on Wednesday. On his arrest information, his occupation is listed as "comedian."

The 31-year-old, who is perhaps best known from his hosting stint on MTV's "Bully Beatdown," retired from mixed martial arts after losing his last fight, which took place at UFC 146 in May. He had a career record of 28-9 with 1 no contest.

Afterward, he told fans he was preparing to embark on his new life with open arms, saying on a recent edition of The MMA Hour, "I feel a little bit freed, in a weird way. In the strangest way I feel free. I know that sounds strange when I devoted my entire life to fighting. I feel like life is unlocked to a whole new set of adventures."

On Saturday, he and White exchanged a series of heated emails, but hours afterward, White said he regretted escalating any animosity and offered Miller good fortune in the future, telling the media, "I'm sure he's not going through a very good time right now, no matter how much he wants to say he is. A guy like Jason, he's one of those nutty-type guys. Has he always been my favorite fighter? No. A lot of the antics that he does, I'm not a fan of and I don't like – the pink boas and all that kind of stuff. I like guys that are serious and guys that come in to fight hard and win. But I don't hate Jason Miller or wish any ill will to the kid. Whatever he has moved on to in the next chapter of his life, I hope he's successful, and I hope he does well."

Less than 36 hours later, Miller was arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Dana apologized for the spat between them on twitter, the way he was talking, miller has some mental issues and is depressed

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-5-goes-big-henderson-vs-diaz-shogun-vs-gustafsson-and-penn-vs-macdonald

Looks like we're going to find out how good gustaffson is, think shogun might have too much for him, and shogun wont be worrying about take downs

Great looking card

pauldoo wrote: »
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-5-goes-big-henderson-vs-diaz-shogun-vs-gustafsson-and-penn-vs-macdonald

Looks like we're going to find out how good gustaffson is, think shogun might have too much for him, and shogun wont be worrying about take downs

Great looking card

Big big test for Gustaffson. Really interested to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Great looking card

Great looking card alright, shame they couldn't bring quality cards like that over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Gustaffson will be trust towards a title shot if he gets the win there. I imagine if Jon Jones wins v Henderson UFC will try to get a quicker turnaround on the Machida title shot. Some champs need to up their year;y fight ratio esp with the more cards per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

All the more shame they're charging over here for Fox cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ush1 wrote: »
    All the more shame they're charging over here for Fox cards.

Since when?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Since when?

Since the last event. You used to be able to get it free on ufc.tv, now you have to pay for the prelims and the event.

Since the last event. You used to be able to get it free on ufc.tv, now you have to pay for the prelims and the event.

You mean you could watch the Fox shows live for free on the website? I didn't know that!

You mean you could watch the Fox shows live for free on the website? I didn't know that!

That makes two of us.
    I'd have preferred that over watching a million ads on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

Dean09 wrote: »
    That makes two of us.

ya i used to sign in through my facebook page, good quality aswell & every prelim fight

Ah right, I thought he meant that the Fox events would not be on ESPN.

That sneaky bollix Zelaznik did say that "almost" all events were included in the new deal...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

That makes two of us.

Where did you guys used to watch the prelims?? :confused:

I thought everyone knew that

Yep, HD with no ads. Also, if you watched the next day you had these class little markers on the stream where you could skip to the starts of fights, tales of the tape, walkouts and even flurries of action in the fight.

It made sense since Fox is free TV in America and we can't get it here. Charging us for prelims and events now, doesn't make sense. :(

• Advertisement

Yep, HD with no ads. Also, if you watched the next day you had these class little markers on the stream where you could skip to the starts of fights, tales of the tape, walkouts and even flurries of action in the fight.

It made sense since Fox is free TV in America and we can't get it here. Charging us for prelims and events now, doesn't make sense. :(

I hate them markers that show the flurries,tells you if the fight goes the distance or not, and when it ends if its a stoppage

I knew you could watch the prelims on UFCtv but I didn't know you could watch the whole event.
    I usually would watch the prelims on it or on Facebook, and I liked the layout and the way you could switch camera angles etc. if I had've known you could watch the whole event on it then I definitely would've used that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I hate them markers that show the flurries,tells you if the fight goes the distance or not, and when it ends if its a stoppage
    Yeah I hate them as well, if you go to fullscreen they disppear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

lads if any1 has the sky hd box, they rang me today offering hd for just an extra 5euro a month for 12 months as long as you have the hd box already, pretty good deal since espn has a hd channel aswell, just said id let ye know.:)

I knew you could watch the prelims on UFCtv but I didn't know you could watch the whole event.
    I usually would watch the prelims on it or on Facebook, and I liked the layout and the way you could switch camera angles etc. if I had've known you could watch the whole event on it then I definitely would've used that instead.

Pretty much what Dean said.

Although I prefer to watch the Fox & FX shows after the fact to skip all the breaks!

This should be a great fight, on what is shaping up to be a really god card.
    Lauzon is a beast and Gray is coming off that frustrating fight with Guida, I'd say he'll want to tear this one up and put on a performance. Looking forward to this one.

Source
    Aug 20, 2012 - The UFC's year-end show named one of its supporting bouts on Monday night, when the promotion announced that a lightweight matchup of Joe Lauzon vs. Gray Maynard will be included in the offering.

The show, which will be UFC 155, takes place on December 29 in Las Vegas.

Lauzon has won three of his last four, most recently defeated Jamie Varner in the third round of their UFC on FOX 4 bout, a matchup that will likely earn some consideration as the best fight of 2012.

After a back-and-forth opening two rounds, Lauzon finally closed out the show with a triangle submission. He's 22-7 overall.

Maynard (11-1-1, 1 no contest) will be fighting for the first time since his June win over Clay Guida, a fight that was notable from the controversy that arose due to Guida's unique strategy. In hopes of avoiding Maynard's power, Guida tried to keep the action limited to short bursts, much to the frustration of the audience. Nevertheless, Maynard won via split-decision.

UFC 155 is expected to feature Junior dos Santos defending the UFC heavyweight championship against Cain Velasquez in a rematch of their 2011 bout. In addition, Chael Sonnen will move up to light-heavyweight to face former champion Forrest Griffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Vladimir Matyushenko in to fight a returning Matt Hamill at UFC 152. Wonder will Matt Hamill break out his special move, of headbutting elbows, for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

p to the e wrote: »
    Vladimir Matyushenko in to fight a returning Matt Hamill at UFC 152. Wonder will Matt Hamill break out his special move, of headbutting elbows, for the win.

I thought those "6 to 12" headbutts were illegal?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Frankie edgar dropping to feather weight. I know it might feel like he's been badgered into doing it but good move. I reckon a tune up fight against someone then a title shot! I think it's going to be a great move for him because the size difference between the opponents in the last few fights and him was notably obvious!
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/21/3259335/ufc-150-results-frankie-edgar-confirms-drop-to-featherweight-145-mma-news

• Advertisement

I think it's only a matter of time now for women's MMA in the UFC.

Dana was asked if a men's 115 division or a female division would be the next new decision and he replied "either".

Women's MMA on Showtime has been pulling good numbers while the smaller guys in the UFC have been just ok. No way Dana is going to waste the PR opportunity that Rousey provides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement