Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I think it's only a matter of time now for women's MMA in the UFC.

Dana was asked if a men's 115 division or a female division would be the next new decision and he replied "either".

Women's MMA on Showtime has been pulling good numbers while the smaller guys in the UFC have been just ok. No way Dana is going to waste the PR opportunity that Rousey provides.

If they do it's a mistake IMO.

At the moment it's not sustainable! There aren't enough top class fighters in the womens divisions at the moment. They'd quickly run out of quality matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Miguel Torres gets released from the UFC Link

This is a strange decision. He's gone 2-2 with while only every having a 1 fight losing streak. I know he made the rape joke on twitter and was release and then returned. Are the UFC holding a grudge and looking for an excuse after his loss to McDonald.

Torres has rarely been in a boring fight and pioneered the bantamweight division in the WEC helping the lighter weight classes get some attention.

I really can't get my head around this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

what kind of $ contract is he on? if he's on big money and not delivering might suit them to get rid of him.

Maybe they put it to him like tihs:

Stay in the ufc and we'll give you 2 fights a year bottom of the card. If you lose, you're out.
    Leave UFC fight as often as you can, win all your fights, come back mid to upper card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I really wasn't expecting that. His statement says it's as a result of his last loss but I dunno how much of that I believe. He has a strong following of fans and can be an exciting fighter. I would've expected them to give him another fight before cutting him, but it just goes to show, you can never tell what the UFC are thinking.

he's actually ****e though, frank mir made him sound like the second coming, he never had an impressive display in ufc

• Advertisement

Librium wrote: »
    he's actually ****e though, frank mir made him sound like the second coming, he never had an impressive display in ufc

To say Torres is shíte is a bit much.
    He's a former WEC champ and has been involved in seriously entertaining wars in his time.
    Granted, he hasn't had the most impressive run in the UFC but he's still a good fighter and I wouldn't call him shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

what kind of $ contract is he on? if he's on big money and not delivering might suit them to get rid of him.

He earned between 28K and 32K before win bonus in his UFC fights. Extremely high considering his opponents all earned less than 10K. He had a big name coming to the UFC though but had a poor run.

It could be money related. Use the loss a reason to drop him and then sign him back at <15K after a few wins.

Did you ever see him fight in the WEC?

This has to be about money. He hasn't set the UFC alight but he's still a good fighter and one a lot of people want to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Strange decision considering he was only released in December about the very controversial tweet but Torres didn't do that much in the UFC but I am very surprised the UFC haven't got him and Faber to fight yet. That was potentially the biggest fight in WEC history and should have been made ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

defo something with the torres behind the scences, seems like he doesnt give a **** whenever ive seen him fight or interviewed

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did you ever see him fight in the WEC?

This has to be about money. He hasn't set the UFC alight but he's still a good fighter and one a lot of people want to see!

i've seen all of of his fights. He looked good beating sub-par opposition as did the pride fighters. It's like rugby, a local sunday league team can look like the all blacks if they're are playing completely inferior opposition.

Torres was king of a very small hill and was exposed when he came to the ufc. imo he is spread too much between being a parent, a coach, a business man and a fighter.

he was probably overrated coming to the ufc, and i use the term overrated very carefully unlike most of the numtpies in mma forums

i've seen all of of his fights. He looked good beating sub-par opposition as did the pride fighters. It's like rugby, a local sunday league team can look like the all blacks if they're are playing completely inferior opposition.

Torres was king of a very small hill and was exposed when he came to the ufc. imo he is spread too much between being a parent, a coach, a business man and a fighter.

he was probably overrated coming to the ufc, and i use the term overrated very carefully unlike most of the numtpies in mma forums

BUt there's a difference between over rated and sh*te. Over rated, perhaps. Sh*te, not imo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    BUt there's a difference between over rated and sh*te. Over rated, perhaps. Sh*te, not imo!

well it's a scale, he's obviously very good compared to the local scene and the british scene but i don't think he's top 20

it's perfectly usual in the vernacular sense to call a mediocre sports person ****e.

well it's a scale, he's obviously very good compared to the local scene and the british scene but i don't think he's top 20

it's perfectly usual in the vernacular sense to call a mediocre sports person ****e.

You don't think he's a Top 20 Bantamweight?

Also, it may be usual, but it doesn't make it accurate.

The WEC was awesome though and has had a lot of fighters successfully transition to the UFC. Fighters like Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber, Brian Bowles.....and that's just some of the Bantamweights. I don't think you can say WEC fighters were sub-par. Although I do agree that he hasn't been on top form lately and would never be likely to win a title in the UFC. But he had a great following and I was shocked to hear he was cut.

Shazbot wrote: »

It could be money related. Use the loss a reason to drop him and then sign him back at <15K after a few wins.
    I think this is the most likely explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Soo... he looked good fighting WEC bantamweights, but then started getting his ass kicked by UFC bantamweights? :confused:

i don't think any of the guys he beat in the wec made it to the ufc, he has about 20 fights prior to the wec with guys who are regional level.

he looked good fighting wec bws because they were division 1, torres is a sunderland or a wigan or something.

i don't think any of the guys he beat in the wec made it to the ufc, .
    He beat Mizugaki.

i don't think any of the guys he beat in the wec made it to the ufc, he has about 20 fights prior to the wec with guys who are regional level.

he looked good fighting wec bws because they were division 1, torres is a sunderland or a wigan or something.

It's the same division. They just fight under the UFC banner now.

Also, of course he fights at regional level. Everyone does (apart from a couple who got a break through TUF). Nobody judges a fighter on his pre top level record and I don't think anyone has done that here with Torres.

Also, you don't think Torres is Top 20 BW?

no. not top 20 anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Dean09 wrote: »
    He beat Mizugaki.

And Charlie Valencia, he fought at Ufc 129. I have to say, referring to any fighter who has had any form of success at all fighting in the top level MMA organisation in the world as sh*t is a bit nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's not a top bantam weight, but saying he isn't top 20 is a bit much.
    Simply because the BW div is so shallow. Especially after the Fly division opened and guys like Mighty mouse and Joe B dropped down. (both of whom I'd rate above Torres IF they were BWs)

Torres's opponents in the WEC for his title shots were shocking. Tapia got released, Mizugaki is still around but miles from a title shot, Maeda where is he now & Beebe, still around the place but UFC wont be going after him unless they need him to fill in for an injured fighter.

The division got stronger when Torres lost the belt to Bowles.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

no. not top 20 anymore

name me so the top 20 guys in that division?

probably about 20 guys here should be higher ranked than torres

Dominick Cruz
    Urijah Faber
    Renan Barao
    Joseph Benavidez
    Demetrious Johnson
    Brian Bowles
    Scott Jorgensen
    Bibiano Fernandes
    Mike Easton
    Jared Papazian
    Brad Pickett
    Michael McDonald
    Eduardo Dantas
    Marcos Galvao
    Zack Makovsky
    Antonio Banuelos
    Eddie Wineland
    Darren Uyenoyama
    Raphael Assuncao
    Ivan Menjivar
    Yoshiro Maeda
    Hideo Tokoro
    John Dodson
    Masakatsu Ueda

Looks like you just copied that from a page of BWs.
    Slight problem with it, some of them aren't that good. And a lot of the good ones aren't BWs (I named who above). So doesn't really hold up in relation to your point.
    So like I said, it's a shallow div, he is top 20. Prob around a 10 spot IMO

I'm all for OTT hyperbole to make a point on a fighter. But there's a time to clarify rather than stop digging.

Something us up with the UFC151 ME.
    I think Hendo is out.

Rumour floating about Twitter that Hendo is out.
    Hendo then tweets about a great session with various fighters, including Tarec Saffiedine.
    About the same Tarec tweeted that he heard Hendo blew out his knee, somebody RE-Tweeted the Hendo comment at him and Tarec said he hasn't seen him since his fight.

And just seen now that Dana announced an announcement in 90 mins time.

Doesn't look good right now

Hendo has to be out and Machida will be the replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mellor wrote: »
    And just seen now that Dana announced an announcement in 90 mins time.

Doesn't look good right now

Where'd you see that Mellor? Can't see anything on his Twitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement