Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

Dean09 wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I'd say Rashad.
    There was talk of him dropping to MW not so long ago. I remember reading an interview with him recently where he said he was considering it and would be interested in fighting Silva if he did drop down.

Ya true, that would make the most sense i reckon out of the fighters available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Probably won't work but why don't ufc have contracts for the co and main event fights to fight at the event. Not against someone else. This way if someone gets injured they can just slot in a replacement fighter without the consent of the fighter once in the same weight class.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Link
    According to the "Hanford Sentinel," Kings County Sheriff's deputies say Mendes "sucker punched a man in the face" at a local bar during the July incident.
    Mendes' arraignment is set for Sept. 19.

According to the report, eyewitnesses told authorities Mendes quickly left the Lacey Inn Bar in his hometown of Hanford through "the back door, and he ran from law enforcement and managed to escape capture," though witnesses recognized him from his UFC popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ESPN still have UFC 151 in their listings. That's grand and all but what is very interesting is.............

They also have "UFC 151: Prelims" listed at 2am. Nice! Hopefully this means a return to prelims being shown on ESPN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Biggest MMA news of the year, perhaps the century; Jon Jones stops following Dana White on Twitter. Commence gasps!

https://twitter.com/MiddleEasy/status/240188697830637570

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Jones shouldnt be too keen on pissing off dana and destroying the relationship. He needs the UFC a lot more than they need him.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

There is a pretty interesting weekly chat with Luke Thomas from MMAFighting on in 25minutes(6pm), answers a lot of user questions too.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/29/3276666/live-chat-ufc-151-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-ufc-152-vitor-belfort-mma-news

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just read on Bloody Elbow that Miguel Torres being cut was as a result of a disciplinary action.
    It doesn't give any details as to exactly what it was, and there has been no statement by the UFC, but the only thing it does say is that it's because of something similar to the last time he was cut (the rape joke incident).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

Ya, Torres releasing was due to a tweet sent out by him approx 10 days ago along the lines of; "she should never say stop, no, or don't... she should say no don't stop instead".

He seems to have a problem with his liking of rapie jokes and comments.

I understand if he says he is messing, BUT to do the same thing you were told not to do (and fired for previously) is abit inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ya, Torres releasing was due to a tweet sent out by him approx 10 days ago along the lines of; "she should never say stop, no, or don't... she should say no don't stop instead".

He seems to have a problem with his liking of rapie jokes and comments.

I understand if he says he is messing, BUT to do the same thing you were told not to do (and fired for previously) is abit inexcusable.
    That tweet wasn't sent out 10 days ago, it was a few months ago.

He you quoted it wrong, he didn't say "she should never say..."
    It was "you should never hear..."

Referring to never giving up or quitting.

• Advertisement

Apologies for my time frame being wrong, HOWEVER the dude needs to get his head checked.

If I was making light of rape in public view on social medis sites, I'm sure my bosses would not take too kindly to it.

Well done to the UFC I say! Well Done!

The rape joke was the reason he was cut the first time though and he was brought back. No reason was given for why he was fired this time though. Although the rumour is that it was something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Apologies for my time frame being wrong, HOWEVER the dude needs to get his head checked.

If I was making light of rape in public view on social medis sites, I'm sure my bosses would not take too kindly to it.

That really depends on the exact wording of what he said/typed.

If he used "you" instead of "she" then he could be referring to his training or fighting instead of rape.

The tweet you're talking about wasn't the one he was fired for. You're talking about this one:

They should never say stop, no, and don't. What you should hear is no don't stop.

There was just controversy about that tweet because he tweeted it after he got his job back.

He was actually fired for this tweet:

"If a rape van was called a surprise van, more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them. Everyone likes surprises."

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Dean09 wrote: »
    The tweet you're talking about wasn't the one he was fired for. You're talking about this one:

They should never say stop, no, and don't. What you should hear is no don't stop.

There was just controversy about that tweet because he tweeted it after he got his job back.

He was actually fired for this tweet:

"If a rape van was called a surprise van, more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them. Everyone likes surprises."

Thats the one he was fired for the first time.

Apart from the time frame being pretty relevant. You also misquoted the whole tweet and basically made it look like it was making light of rape again when he wasn't.

That tweet was ages ago and he clarified what he was referring to when people took
    It wrong. Since then the UFC mag did a piece on him, so I'd be surprised if that was the reason.

Torres said he was released after his last loss in May.

My bad on the timeframe.

I like Torres though, great analyst. Hope he does a bit more tv if he isn't gonna be on the roster and doesn't want to work in another promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Damn, Timmy is looking rough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

scudzilla wrote: »
    Damn, Timmy is looking rough

Tim's carrying a bit of extra poundage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Sylvia looked terrible in that fight apart from a few flurries where he really connected with Arlovski's chin in the first, too much pressing into the cage and hanging off the opponent for me. In saying that it was a good scrap while it lasted, I understand the reasoning behind their head kick rule, but in the heat of battle, can Arlovski be forgiven for the headkick? Is the rule stupid or should he have known the promotions rules better before the fight?

Also alot of complaining by Sylvia to the ref in that, shame it had to end that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i think Timmy knew he was fcuked if the fight went on and went for the NC so he could have another payday wit the rematch

weemcd wrote: »
    I understand the reasoning behind their head kick rule, but in the heat of battle, can Arlovski be forgiven for the headkick? Is the rule stupid or should he have known the promotions rules better before the fight?
    The rule is stupid. It doesnt work with he flow of a fight. Either allow them or not, don't have the illegal moves change during a fight. Had it been a straight forward rule, soccer kicks legal or not, he would got a simple TKO win here.

It obviously wasn't explained to Arlovski too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Mellor wrote: »
    The rule is stupid. It doesnt work with he flow of a fight. Either allow them or not, don't have the illegal moves change during a fight. Had it been a straight forward rule, soccer kicks legal or not, he would got a simple TKO win here.

It obviously wasn't explained to Arlovski too well.

well thats the fighters responsibility to know the rules.

pretty simple really, if the ref says open attack then he can head kick, i dont see the confusion.

sounds like a great rule to me, stops stupid purposeful "grounding" yourself to avoid knees we see in the ufc all the time but yet stops someone who cant defend himself getting a needless kick to the head.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Rule changed -
    ONE Fighting Championship has eliminated its "open-attack" rule for soccer kicks, officials today announced.

The decision came a few days after the often-confusing rule resulted in an Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia heavyweight contest being declared a no-contest this past weekend at ONE FC 5.

Instead, soccer kicks are now legal at all times, and the referee no longer has to distinguish when they're an option.

adamski8 wrote: »
    well thats the fighters responsibility to know the rules.

pretty simple really, if the ref says open attack then he can head kick, i dont see the confusion.
    But during a fight, in the heat of the action, it's not always going to be clear if open attack has been signalled or not.
    Arlivski obvious thought it was. (I was joking saying that nobody had told him)
    sounds like a great rule to me, stops stupid purposeful "grounding" yourself to avoid knees we see in the ufc all the time but yet stops someone who cant defend himself getting a needless kick to the head.

It doesnt stop that happening. If some body grounds themselves with a knee or hand the ref doesnt signal open attack. Knees to the head are illegal in that situation, same as unified rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I don't know why they tried this rule - Cage Rage had it years ago and it didn't work then, they really should have learned from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Jones speaks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Jones speaks...

"All the fighters that are insulting me on the card, I'm not the one who is saying that you're not good enough for pay per view." - Jones.

I hope this quote turns on a light bulb in some of their skulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Did Chael lose his last two fights?

I thought he fought Stann and Bisping winning both then fought Silva.

• Advertisement

user2011 wrote: »
    Did Chael lose his last two fights?

Don't be silly. He's undefeated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement