Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Doesn't matter Jones is tool. Reason just listening too the interview with Ariel he says in his long list of excuses for not fighting the undefeated champ :p was because Chael had nothing too do with the fight?

So did you when you stepped in as a late call up too fight for the title.

Has this been totally lost on Jones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

user2011 wrote: »
    Did Chael lose his last two fights?

I thought he fought Stann and Bisping winning both then fought Silva.
    you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Dana is doing his first interview tonight. It will be on the ufc site fir anyone awake later. A small clip is on ufc already where he blames hendo a small bit fir not telling him of the injury 2 weeks before when hendo knew.
    Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

There is snippets of the interview on Youtube.

Dana basically said if GSP beats Condit. He has a very good chance of facing Anderson Silva at a catchweight of 180 pounds. He also said the fight will most likely be a stadium affair with Cowboys Stadium which has a capacity of 105,000 being used.

GSP / Silva is a great fight for the fans & for MMA that two great fighters are fighting each other but on paper it is a terrible fight and GSP will be on the end of a serious beating from Anderson Silva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

unknown13 wrote: »
    GSP will be on the end of a serious beating from Anderson Silva.

Yep, can't see it going any other way.

If it goes ahead I will be putting money on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who I'll put money on will depend on the odds. I don't think its a 50/50 fight, but I think the bookies might get this one wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

GSP will be on the end of a serious beating from Anderson Silva.

Id have GSP winning this one TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I can't imagine GSP would come close to a win if it happened . He hasn't fought anyone with anything close to the same striking pedigree as Silva. Alves would probably be the best striker he has faced to date his his TDD is nothing compared to what Silva has.

I reckon the fight would be a snoozefest though. Both afraid of engaging the other without any real conviction, with Silva out-pointing GSP for 5 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think it all depends on how GSPs shot will be after his recovery. I think he can put Silva on his back and keep him there. Can he do it in every round is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If Silva's improved takedown defence against Sonnen wasn't just a one off then it's a bad night for GSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I had foolishly assumed that this bullsh1t idea for a fight was finally never gona happen.. I thought reason had won the debate and it wouldn't happen because fans wouldn't accept it as a good match up... how I was wrong.

Not even gettin into all the blatantly obvious reasons Silva has an undeniably maaaaaaasssssssive advantage in this one.... GSP would never turn down this fight because he gains huge respect in taking it and makes so much bank its not even funny and won't likely suffer a massive injury.. he'll just get TKO'd or KO'd and that'll be the end of it.

Silva on the other hand won't deserve any credit for the win really IMO but no doubt he'll get some.

I know I'll get some ahem push back on this comment but

Silva walks around the place at 225 lb between camps, is 6 foot bleeding 2 inches tall and has a reach of 77.6 feckin inches and is easily the best skilled striker MMA has ever seen historically, by leagues... in a completely totally separate striking class to GSP, incomparable in any way shape or form.

He's easily beaten guys as feckin huge as Forest Griffin who is a hulking giant of a 205er (how he makes weight is down to actual magic) who walks around at 235 maybe more and could easily fight some HW division guys... actually he prob should do that for a last few bucks before leaving the UFC.

Silva is too big.. he's easily big enough for the 205 division without suffering any disadvantage... he simply doesn't do it.. it's not his weight group it's his choice (personally I think he shoulda been up there for years but there's different frames of thought about this and it's been covered before)

GSP is a great value 170 pounder... ok probably heavier muscle mass than when we first saw him rise so probably walks around now closer to 190 lbs between camps but he's not tall, hasn't got huge reach and is in NO WAY a creative knockout artist capable of standing with anyone like Silva esp coupled with his reach.

Silva is way too big, too long and too good for GSP to do anything but try and take him down... and Silvas TDD is more than good enough to stop a guy of GSP's size focusing on double legs from first bell.. the hype will whisk us all away to fairyland as per feckin usual but this fight should not be viewed as a major challenge to Silva in any way shape or form... it's simply a pay check that's all there is to it.... and no element to this fight deserves the conceptual respect of a super-fight... leave them in their own divisions and stop treating us fans like retards.... saying all that crap I will 100% absolutely watch it and be swept up in the excitement of it like a child waiting for Jurassic Park to start in the cinema for the first time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

There is snippets of the interview on Youtube.

Dana basically said if GSP beats Condit. He has a very good chance of facing Anderson Silva at a catchweight of 180 pounds. He also said the fight will most likely be a stadium affair with Cowboys Stadium which has a capacity of 105,000 being used.

GSP / Silva is a great fight for the fans & for MMA that two great fighters are fighting each other but on paper it is a terrible fight and GSP will be on the end of a serious beating from Anderson Silva.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Id have GSP winning this one TBH!

I have Greg Jackson by Forfeit

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

scudzilla wrote: »
    I have Greg Jackson by Forfeit

tumblr_m9t0xx2Nm51qca92qo1_500.gif

I had foolishly assumed that this bullsh1t idea for a fight was finally never gona happen..
    Despite what DW said, I'm not convinced it will happen yet.
    Silva walks around the place at 225 lb between camps, is 6 foot bleeding 2 inches tall and has a reach of 77.6 feckin inches and is easily the best skilled striker MMA has ever seen historically, by leagues... in a completely totally separate striking class to GSP, incomparable in any way shape or form.

He's easily beaten guys as feckin huge as Forest Griffin who is a hulking giant of a 205er (how he makes weight is down to actual magic) who walks around at 235 maybe more and could easily fight some HW division guys... actually he prob should do that for a last few bucks before leaving the UFC.
    I agree Silva is a huge 185er, and i'm not disputing that but 225 sounds a bit of a stretch. Jones is 225lbs IIRC.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "walk around". Their actual weight before they cut for the fight (and by cut i'm talking 3 days out water cut etc). Or an out of shape weight when 3 months out from a fight. The former is roughly what they'll weigh in the cage -which is obviously important, the latter is kinda irrelevant.
    I don't think GSP gets too far out of shape between fights. He's about 195, and cuts from there to 170.
    If Silva is 225lbs 3 months out, he isn't cutting from there and 210 would be a more likely figure imo.

In the cage in their last fights, I'd say there is 15lbs difference. Considering this will be at 180. Silva will need to shape up and GSP can spend a few months adding 5lbs muscle. I really don't thing this one will come down to size advantage, which might be 10lbs or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Apparently Renzo Gracie just did a running commentary on twitter when 2 guys tried to rob him :pac:
    Timeline starts about an hour ago
    https://twitter.com/RenzoGracieBJJ

Apparently Renzo Gracie just did a running commentary on twitter when 2 guys tried to rob him :pac:
    Timeline starts about an hour ago
    https://twitter.com/RenzoGracieBJJ

As funny as it sounds, did either of the guys actually do anything apart from ask for a cig? Renzo may have been right in thinking that they had bad intentions but in the eyes of the law he just gave a step by step description of himself committing assault...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

wtf is wrong with him?
    Next time I will use only the elbows, damn I miss that feeling, sometimes I wonder if the easy life has been making me
    Soft.. All those years in Brazil, without knowing if I would make it home had to count for something, I can't lie I could have jump in a cab
    But I could not help, I could spot them from a mile away, walking was my option, thank you mayor Giuliani, nobody carries a gun in our...

Hope he gets sued/prosecuted for this.
    Whispering at his ears.. That's what death feels like it.. Don't do that again. My ****ing hand hurts, :-/ a lot

Seriously what?

The part about punching him when he was choked out do he'd look like a raccoon was the best bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I doubt very much any of that actually happened. Who is on twitter while someone is trying to "rob" them.

Who is he, WILL.I.AM !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

canonball5 wrote: »
    I doubt very much any of that actually happened. Who is on twitter while someone is trying to "rob" them.

Who is he, WILL.I.AM !

Exactly
    "Erm could you hang on there a sec I'm in the middle of a tweet"

Guy just made himself sound like one of the biggest knobs you could come across. The pic he tweeted just showed an alley which was completely empty.
    Maybe he was fighting the dark, or the voices in his head :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Trying to make a case to get back into the UFC.
    Sounds like bull to me, even the stupid pic of his busted up hand.

You can get charged with assault with a deadly weapon if you're a professional fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

AFAIK Renzo signed a 6 fight deal with the UFC before the Hughes fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

rugbyman wrote: »
    AFAIK Renzo signed a 6 fight deal with the UFC before the Hughes fight...

Yeah he's still signed with the UFC AFAIK

fairnuf

the numbers are closer than I madem out to be prob

but when they square off in the cage it'll look like what it is - big guy small guy

gsp could never have hung with the 185ers - Silva could've easily hung with the 205ers

he's not just bigger than gsp he's longer than a normal 185er by a good bit

we're talkin the best striker in history with a massive reach advantage, a 4 inch height advantage against a smaller shorter wrestle and jab artist... where his jab will be taken out completely, as in GSP most likely wont land a single jab at any point in the fight... unless Silva falls asleep.

GSP can ONLY try and get this down and he wouldn't be as good a grappler as Anderson Silva (anyone disagree?) although he would be a better caliber wrestler sure, but a lot of that wrestling will be most likely neutralized by Silva's active bottom game.... if GSP is busy on top with elbows and what not Silva will just relax and absorb and be constantly active finding submission opportunities and it'll get stood up... he actually managed to physically hold Chael for about 1 minute just with a baseball grip til they were stood up remember? and it was his reach and strength that allowed him to do that... and it didn't even tire him out (like failing on a long guillotine attempt as we all know) and Chael is a more powerful top control man than GSP IMO. Personally I think Silva will find it EASY to stop GSP's take down attempts... I just think he'll have his number so easily in this fight it'll make GSP look so normal, so ineffective and it won't be any good for his confidence... he'll get some respect for taking the fight coz god knows no other 170 pounder could be taken any way seriously in the cage with Silva.... and I don't think people should take this fight too seriously from any perspective it doesn't prove **** all IMO and neither men will benefit when GSP loses....

UNLESS..... GSP pulls it off ! and god knows anything can happen in this sport... and IF he does then he's a god ! and that's all there is to it... if he beats Silva in a big football stadium next year in the biggest ppv of all time, while Silva is still great, then GSP deserves the top spot on the all time list in my view.. hands down AND he'd have to consider movin up to 185 in that case and take on some of the other lads... imagine GSP v Munoz, GSP v Stann/Bisping etc etc

Weidman vs Boetsch booked for UFC 155.

The only downside of the potential GSP vs Silva fight is the likes of Bisping and Weidman who were in touching distance of a title shot might now have to fill the gap.

If the superfight happens I think the winner of Bisping vs Stann will face the winner of Weidman vs Boetsch for a title shot after GSP vs Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd LOVE to see this fight. It'd be interesting to see how they'd get on coaching against each other too. Cormier seems like a nice guy and I'd love to see him get a shot in the UFC at HW or LHW.

Source
    Jon Jones might just be the most polarizing name in MMA. With fans, fighters and media split down the middle on their thoughts about where the blame for the cancellation of UFC 151 should be placed, opinions come out of the woodwork at an astonishing pace. Of all the thought processes in play here, the ones I find most interesting are the fighters. In a recent interview we conducted with Daniel Cormier, he weighed in on the subject, and even made a personal bid to Dana White for a TUF coaching gig opposite Jones.

Obviously, there's more than one side to every story. Jon was right in making his decision, based on what he feels he needs for his career. However, I disagreed with it. I think the kid is that good. I think he could have fought Chael Sonnen, or just about anybody on eight days notice, if he's already been in training camp. If he just goes out and fights his fight, against the vast majority of fighters in the world, he's probably going to win. That's why I disagree.

The UFC has done a lot for Jon. They've put him out in the forefront and made him a huge star. I'm not saying they've done it alone, his skills have done it, too, but they've given him opportunities to become a huge star, and I think that sometimes, it's kind of necessary to take one for the team. That was a situation where he could have done that, and it would have went a long way, in terms of their relationship continuing forward positively, the that it has been in the past.

Daniel Cormier: I'd like to fight anyone. There are options, and we'd need to sit down and figure it out. If they offer me a heavyweight for my first fight once I get to the UFC, I'd gladly take it. If they offered me a different fight, then I'd take that one, too. There's a ton of options. My last fight, I weighed 238, and I had lunch and breakfast. During my training camp for that fight, I was 229 at one point. That was the lightest I've been in years, so with that being said, I'm not walking at 250 or 260, like I was, so I'd like to think that I have options in two weight divisions now.

For the rest of my career, being 33 years old, I want big fights. If I have to cut some weight, then I have to cut some weight. Listen, I think, pound for pound, the best fighter in the world, right now, is Jon Jones. Dana already said he thinks I'd do well at 205. If he offered me a fight down there against Jon Jones, and gave me some time to get the weight off safely, shoot, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

It's like all the guys wanting to fight Floyd Mayweather or Roy Jones when he was the best. As a champion, and one of the best fighters in the world, guys should always step up to the plate and want to fight Jon Jones. So, if Dana said, 'Daniel, I'll give you some time to make the weight', I'd gladly take that fight if Cain is the champion at heavyweight.

I know a situation that helps out everyone. Give Jon a challenge that he doesn't get from most guys, and that's something that I present. Hopefully, him and I get through our next fight. At the beginning of the year, let us coach the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. That gives me time to actually get my weight down, and in the summer time, we fight. How does that sound? I'm throwing it out there right now. Let's do it. He hasn't coached the show before, and neither have I. Let the fans get to know me better by putting me on TV for two and a half months, and then put me and Jon in a fight.

Jon's a good wrestler, but I've wrestled at a different level. I'm gonna pressure him. I'm gonna take him down. I think it would be great for everybody, all around. I can tell you with 100% confidence in myself and in my ability, that if I was to fight him, or anyone else in the world, at some point in that fight, if I decide to put them on their back, I'm putting them on their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

he wouldn't be as good a grappler as Anderson Silva (anyone disagree?)

I absolutely disagree, GSP is a far superior grappler to Silva.

Silva may be the most dangerous striker in MMA, but GSP has (in my opinion) the best takedowns in MMA.

dojojoe wrote: »
    You can get charged with assault with a deadly weapon if you're a professional fighter.
    Pretty sure that's a TV myth

Lombard v Palhares is on for TUF final Dec 14th in Sydney

Two beasts, Palhares leg presses 300 Kilos for fun and once he has your leg it's over. Lombard has world class Judo and tons of explosive strength and will need a seriously convincing win to get back his credibility.

Lombard didn't make a good first UFC showing so not sure why they're giving him a main event - prob coz they have to do an Australian show and he's got a solid fan base there coupled with his body type suiting a Palhares encounter even though Palhares's only chance is to take Lombard down and go for the leg..

anyway dying to see this one... Lombard by TKO early first round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Palhares had belcher leg and it wasn't over :-).
    Apart from that agree should be a good fight. Forgot the Lombard fight for awhile as it was so poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement