Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Isn't there rumours of him being involved with organised crime? I find him to be cut from the same cloth as Fedor in his striking department but he simply hasn't got enough big names on his win list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Source
    Shane Roller lost in very one sided fashion to Jacob Volkmann at this past Friday's UFC on FX 5: Browne vs. Bigfoot card, getting submitted in the first round. It was Volkmann's first stoppage win in nine UFC fights an Roller's fourth loss in his last five outings.

It looks as though the loss was enough to convince Roller to end his MMA career as he just tweeted out the following:

Looks like I'm hanging up the gloves for good. It was fun, but time to move on. Sux that it ended like that. Now startn the next chapter!!

Roller never quite hit the level that many expected him to as a former three time All-American wrestler from Oklahoma State, but he did have some impressive submission wins over Danny Castillo, Anthony Njokuani and Jamie Varner as well as a TKO of Thiago Tavares in his time fighting in the WEC and UFC.

Hopefully Roller has success with the next chapter of his life.

Seemed like a decent bloke. Never really set the mma world on fire though. And I suppose it was better for him to retire rather than get cut, which is probably what would've happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dean09 wrote: »
    Source

Seemed like a decent bloke. Never really set the mma world on fire though. And I suppose it was better for him to retire rather than get cut, which is probably what would've happened.

Shame really. He's a tough guy and was regularly in exciting fights (moreso in the WEC).

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Shame really. He's a tough guy and was regularly in exciting fights (moreso in the WEC).

Yeah, I always expected more of him for some reason, even though he never really faced top competition (apart from Bendo in WEC)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So DeMarques Johnson got the sack after losing at UFC on Fuel 5

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31027/damarques-johnson-confirms-ufc-release.mma

So basically the guys agree to make a catchweight on one weeks notice just after finishing a suspension for a ko against big prospect Nelson, he misses weight by 8 pounds or so, then loses (3 in a row I think) and gets cut.

Under normal circumstances its a pretty obvious cut, but this guy has just done you a massive favour and saved a fight for you. It's a pretty interesting case, since it really highlights the confused stance the ufc has on guys taking short notice fights, if you dont take the fight Dana tears into you in the media (Mitrione, Jones, Machida) yet if you do them a favour but lose they might sack you. :confused:

• Advertisement

My guess is that if the rumours are true about Strikeforce being scrapped, then there'll be a lot more cuts in the UFC to possibly make room to move some SF guys over.
    I could be way off the mark though!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So DeMarques Johnson got the sack after losing at UFC on Fuel 5

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31027/damarques-johnson-confirms-ufc-release.mma

So basically the guys agree to make a catchweight on one weeks notice just after finishing a suspension for a ko against big prospect Nelson, he misses weight by 8 pounds or so, then loses (3 in a row I think) and gets cut.

Under normal circumstances its a pretty obvious cut, but this guy has just done you a massive favour and saved a fight for you. It's a pretty interesting case, since it really highlights the confused stance the ufc has on guys taking short notice fights, if you dont take the fight Dana tears into you in the media (Mitrione, Jones, Machida) yet if you do them a favour but lose they might sack you. :confused:

His suspension was up 4 weeks before the fight and he was fighting on two weeks notice. Still short, but not as short as some reports made out.
    He was given a 5lb concession and came in 8 lbs over again. He shouldn't of agreed to the fight if he couldn't make the weight. To be honest I don't think he even tried as he couldn't really walk around much more than 185 generally and he was on weight in August. Its unprofessional and it's as if he just wanted the pay cheque.

I also don't think he saved the fight either, it was an undercard of a small event. There would have been no trouble filling it, this isn't the same as a short notice main event.

I think you should get "some" credit for fighting at short notice, but it shouldnt be a free fight. If want the spoils should you win, you have to prepare for the damage of losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

My guess is that if the rumours are true about Strikeforce being scrapped, then there'll be a lot more cuts in the UFC to possibly make room to move some SF guys over.
    I could be way off the mark though!

Strikeforce folding for MMA in general, probably not a good thing. However if this was to happen soon I'd be all for it from a fan perspective, because a) more interesting matches in ufc, few recent main events have been dire, and b) should help with the injury saga 2012 has been.

Starting 2013 with a roster including Cormier, Melendez etc, would not be the worst situation for an MMA fan, not like we can even watch strikeforce here legit if we wanted to, only way is stream unless I'm mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Jake shields suspended for 6 months for using peds before his last fight. The story on bjpenn.com
    Silly boy

damn auto correct

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Jake shields suspended for 6 months for using peds before his last fight. The story on bjpenn.com
    Silly boy

damn auto correct

His statement said he received his suspension for testing positive for a banned substance. It doesn't mention PEDs anywhere. The banned substance could be anything. For example: he may have even taken a cold medicine that has a banned substance in its ingredients.
    I wouldn't go jumping to any conclusions before a full statement is issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

My bad should of phrased it beter.
    Still a silly boy.
    Look at paddy kenny 6 month bad for cough medicine in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

His statement said he received his suspension for testing positive for a banned substance. It doesn't mention PEDs anywhere.

Substances get put on the prohibited list because they're performance enhancing. Just because it's not AAS doesn't mean it's not a PED.

How it got in his system is irrelevant, it's his responsibility to know what he's taking.

Clive wrote: »

How it got in his system is irrelevant, it's his responsibility to know what he's taking.

Yep. I fully agree. But as soon as someone mentions PED, everyone thinks steroids, which is why I think saying it could give an unfair view of what may have taken place.

Substances get put on the prohibited list because they're performance enhancing. Just because it's not AAS doesn't mean it's not a PED.

Banned cold medicines, over the counter stuff are performance enhancing as you said.
    But banned substances could also be something like marijuana either. Given his "associates" ;) i'd say that's pretty likely.
    Looks like he's going to serve the ban without a fuss, so we might not ever find out.

Mellor wrote: »
    But banned substances could also be something like marijuana either. Given his "associates" ;) i'd say that's pretty likely.

Marijuana is performance enhancing for many people though, which is why it's on the prohibited list.

In what way is it supposed to be performance enhancing? I heard it before when Diaz was in front of the AC, but can't remember what they said. I'd be surprised if the pros outweighed the cons - but I suppose that's irrelevant if they are any pros at all its enhancing.

But even if it is performance enhancing, I still think it's on the list because its illegal, and any PED element is post-justification.

Can the AC keep the details from the public? I know the list is the list, and they are all banned. But I think we have the right to know whether is was a bit of weed, or something AAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Marijuana is performance enhancing for many people though, which is why it's on the prohibited list.

If the person is high at the time, but in Diaz's situation that wasn't the case (this time)

SevereMMA wrote: »
    If the person is high at the time, but in Diaz's situation that wasn't the case (this time)
    Yeah, I meant to mention that also, metabolites will cause you to fail a test, but don't have any effect on you afaik.

In what way is it supposed to be performance enhancing?

Pain relief and anxiety relief are the two that stand out to me, I'm sure there are more. I think we've all seen someone who's a beast in the gym but falls to pieces and doesn't perform in competition. Marijuana would enhance their performance greatly if they've trained hard enough to counter the negative effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nick Diaz gets it legally for anxiety in California, it's just that it's illegal in Nevada.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Nick Diaz gets it legally for anxiety in California, it's just that it's illegal in Nevada.
    That's not what the problem was. He was using it a week before the fight when he was in californua not nevada. But it's a banned substance in both California and Nevada. He gets it for medical reasons but he didnt declare it on medical form so they are saying he lied.

"Yo @danawhite set up that fight with Glover please! Lets give him what he wants..fans I won't let u down.

Hmm really want this fight to happen. Rampage complained recently that he can't believe he lost to Bader who just lays on top of people. He can't say that about Glover Texeira

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

He was given a 5lb concession and came in 8 lbs over again. He shouldn't of agreed to the fight if he couldn't make the weight.

I also don't think he saved the fight either, it was an undercard of a small event. There would have been no trouble filling it, this isn't the same as a short notice main event.

That's pretty much bang on what Joe Silva said.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/11/3489992/matchmaker-joe-silva-explains-why-he-released-damarques-johnson-from

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hmm really want this fight to happen. Rampage complained recently that he can't believe he lost to Bader who just lays on top of people. He can't say that about Glover Texeira

Arse, i just went onto Twitter to wind me up a Dampage and found out he's blocked me after the last wind up session!!!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭matrat

With strikeforce folding up and besides bellator, there is a huge gap for any promotion to try and compete with ufc, i think its time the ufc formats need rethinking. Single night tournaments where given up to let the sport grow and lose some of its bad rep, but with the public opinion well improved and the calibre of athlete, i think there is no reason not for them to return. Also the heavier weight divisions need revamped. Id prob go with somethin like a 200, 220 and a 245 to unlimited. What people think??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

matrat wrote: »
    Single night tournaments where given up to let the sport grow and lose some of its bad rep, but with the public opinion well improved and the calibre of athlete, i think there is no reason not for them to return.

It's hard enough to keep 2 fighters fit for a single fight, never mind 2 or 3 in a night. Plus, ever check the medical suspension list after an event? It's not unusual to see 10-15 fighters out of 22 with some sort of suspension. If they pick up those injuries in 1 fight, imagine the kicking they would take over 3? And there's no way the commissions would let a fighter continue into successive fights with even minor injuries. These one night tournaments are gone for good.

Also the heavier weight divisions need revamped. Id prob go with somethin like a 200, 220 and a 245 to unlimited. What people think??

The HW division has never been that stacked, why divide it up? Plus this has been suggested to Dana White repeatedly over the last few years and he has shot it down as unnecessary.

Single night tournaments where given up to let the sport grow and lose some of its bad rep, but with the public opinion well improved and the calibre of athlete, i think there is no reason not for them to return.
    Single night tourney where dropped because they are dangerous. Fighters were constsntly dropping out to injury. They are also not allowed under unified rules.
    I don't think the fact that there was multiple fights a night ever a critisim of sport.

If anything the calibre of athlete these makes them an even worse idea as far more fights will be tough 15 minutes as opposed to walking over a guy with one boxing glove in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Silva talks about fighting Jones, dont know if this is news to ye but first i heard about it
    I hope your portuguese is better than mine, but basically says for no title at a catch weight

http://oglobo.globo.com/

the link under the image

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Silva talks about fighting Jones, dont know if this is news to ye but first i heard about it
    I hope your portuguese is better than mine, but basically says for no title at a catch weight

http://oglobo.globo.com/

the link under the image

Jones doesn't want this fight, he has said as much, he won't agree to a catchweight, I think this is a pretty pointless statment from Anderson, why fight some lhw's at 205 and not others? Also, could Jones cut any further down? he is skin and bone (:p) at 205 as it is, I'd imagine he has a fairly big cut to get there.

I don't think this brings the fight 1% closer to being made than this time last month tbh.:cool:

After the Bonnar fight I really want to see it happen, I'd love to be wrong but I doubt it will ever be made.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    Also, could Jones cut any further down? he is skin and bone (:p) at 205 as it is, I'd imagine he has a fairly big cut to get there.

Jones is one of the tallest 205er, and obviously the longest. But I don't think he's that heavy for a 205er. I remember him talking about the cut and saying he was 220, could be bigger now, but I think he could get a little lower than 205 if needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement