Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

unknown13 wrote: »

Its illegal in loads of countries. Thats why.
    Well that's not the reason and importantly, shouldn't be the reason.
    Athlon commision are there to uphold the integrity of the sport, not uphold the law.

In Dave Herman's case, they found metabolites in his system - not the a active drug. So the ban is dubious as its not illegal out if competition.

unknown13 wrote: »

Its illegal in loads of countries. Thats why.
    Athlon commision are there to uphold the integrity of the sport, not uphold the law.

In Dave Herman's case, they found metabolites in his system - not the a active drug. So the ban is dubious as its not illegal out if competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Mellor wrote: »

Ok chill out cheech ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Why is it illegal?

Greed. Not for anybody's safety or anything like that

If you think weed should be illegal you should watch "The Union: The Business Behind Getting High"

Have you ever spoken to addiction counsellors? They ALL say marijuana should be illegal as it activates the same part of the brain which causes addiction.

Regardless, After Hours is the place for that conversation. :)

Ok chill out cheech ;-)

???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Mellor wrote: »
    ???

I think because you triple posted by accident, hopefully it's not about the content of the post because I agree fully with you ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Belfort versus Bisping is now official [URL] http://mmajunkie.com/news/31420/ufc-makes-official-jan-19-card-in-brazil-with-vitor-belfort-vs-michael-bisping-headliner.mma[/URL]

Pretty fight-night-quality card though. Edit: Which I now see that it is, so no problems there, carry on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I think because you triple posted by accident, hopefully it's not about the content of the post because I agree fully with you ;)

Cheech and chong the stoner movies.

I would be infavour of legalisation just a crap referance by me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

WSOF first card tonight, about 10 UFC vets, JZ Cavalcante, DJ Linderman and the MMA debut of Tyrone Sprong. Even if this is another flash in the pan promotion could have some entertaining fights tonight. I know the under card is being streamed but don't think there's any legal way of watching the main card here.

Didn't even notice the triple post?
    I blame the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Tyrone Spong seriously impressive debut. Be interesting to see how he develops. Incredible asset to the Blackzillians anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Have you ever spoken to addiction counsellors? They ALL say marijuana should be illegal as it activates the same part of the brain which causes addiction.

Regardless, After Hours is the place for that conversation. :)

The same way marriage counsellors and all sorts of counsellors identify a problem and keep you coming back for more meetings.

$$$$$

Jesus DJ Lindermann looks tiny compared to AJ. Mad that they competed at weight classes 50 pounds apart. Johnson now 4-0, wonder if UFC will take him back at LHW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

He missed weight 3 times in the UFC. He even missed it when he went up a weight class. That pissed off Dana big time. I don't know if Dana would be willing to give him another chance.
    If he did get back in the UFC again and somehow missed weight again, he'll never be let back in for the rest of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dean09 wrote: »
    He missed weight 3 times in the UFC. He even missed it when he went up a weight class. That pissed off Dana big time. I don't know if Dana would be willing to give him another chance.
    If he did get back in the UFC again and somehow missed weight again, he'll never be let back in for the rest of his career.

If I'm not mistaken Dana was asked about this recently and he said he really likes Johnson and he'd be willing to take him back but only as a LHW. Anything else he wouldn't even consider.

MrStuffins wrote: »

If I'm not mistaken Dana was asked about this recently and he said he really likes Johnson and he'd be willing to take him back but only as a LHW. Anything else he wouldn't even consider.

I was actually gonna say he's probably better off going to 205. He obviously struggles cutting to lighter weights so maybe 205 is the best place for him.

Dean09 wrote: »

I was actually gonna say he's probably better off going to 205. He obviously struggles cutting to lighter weights so maybe 205 is the best place for him.
    After missing weight his first two times at MW he's fought 3 times at LHW. I imagine he'll stay there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The 2 Bellator heavyweight semi-finals that were on at the weekend are well worth a watch if you can find a source for a replay. They can be found on xbmc navi-x program for one.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9484:uh-we-dont-think-kevin-randleman-and-matt-riddle-are-going-to-share-the-peace-pipe-anytime-soon-this-beef-is-crazy&catid=34:organizations

If anyone has any interest this Kevin Randleman and Matt Riddle argument is quite entertaining. Randleman says he can make 185. Can never see Dana bringing him back but if Riddle was ever released I'm sure another promotion would try make this fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Roar wrote: »

"Poke my eye will you!?"

Was interesting to see Spong fight. He looked very reserved and wasn't rushing into anything even though it seemed he could have finished him anytime. He's still quite young so we may see a lot more from him if he sticks with MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anderson on a Jones fight

“The question (about facing Jones) would have to be made to Dana White. Let’s ask if he’ll give me 50% of the UFC. If he will, maybe this fight will happen.”

“I have personal projects outside of the UFC and want to put them in practice. I’m opening my own martial arts academy in LA. I want to do my thing, take some air, spend time with the family. I have more to do than take punches to the face.”

Linky : http://www.bjpenn.com/anderson-silva-names-price-for-taking-jones-fight-ufc-news/

What a tit, it seems like he's happy to fight guys he's capable of beating yet as soon as someone comes along who he's not sure of he doesn't want to know.
    He's a fighter for fcuk sake

Xlami wrote: »
    http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9484:uh-we-dont-think-kevin-randleman-and-matt-riddle-are-going-to-share-the-peace-pipe-anytime-soon-this-beef-is-crazy&catid=34:organizations

If anyone has any interest this Kevin Randleman and Matt Riddle argument is quite entertaining. Randleman says he can make 185. Can never see Dana bringing him back but if Riddle was ever released I'm sure another promotion would try make this fight.

Wow! Randleman is an angry man!

I wouldn't mind seeing this one on a Strikeforce card.

According to the interwebs, this weekend's Main card in Macau kicks off at 9am ET, which would be 2pm here.

According to the schedule, ESPN aren't showing it live but on tape delay at midnight.

Anyone know if this will change? It'd actually be nice to watch a live event in the afternoon! (I think Mellor always gets to watch them in the afternoon :P )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wow! Randleman is an angry man!

I wouldn't mind seeing this one on a Strikeforce card.

Randleman has been in some truly awful fights though, for a guy who has so much aggression and explosive power its really strange how often he just did nothing in a fight.

I'd say it's fairly certain he's headed to the UFC. If so, I can't wait to see how he does.
    The LW division is already fairly stacked but I suppose there's room for one more!

Source
    Bellator lightweight Eddie Alvarez has been granted his release by the organization, according to Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and the fighter himself. The UFC has expressed interest in Alvarez already, but Bellator isn't completely out of the picture just because they've released him. Rebney explained the deal a few days ago to MMA Junkie:

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney now has advanced the timeline on Alvarez's decision, telling MMA Junkie that he'll waive a standard 90-day matching period if the ex-champ doesn't initially take a new contract offer.

"Based on our relationship with Ed, there's no reason to hold him to a series of months of not having the opportunity to look at those offers," Rebney said.

The executive said Bellator retains the right to match other offers should Alvarez decide to test the open market. The UFC has signaled interest in signing the 28-year-old Philadelphian and is expected to make a bid.

Alvarez spoke to MMA Interviews about what might happen in the near future:

"That's not really up to me. I'm in between with my management and promotions. Bjorn Rebney was gracious enough to give us our release papers early, earlier than what we were contractually to get, he gave it to us Friday. So we're going to try to move it along as fast as possible for myself and for Bellator. We'll see. Nothing's set in stone and I'm just waiting to see what happens, letting the management and letting the promotions do their job now."

The key part to me is the matching rights Rebney mentioned. Basically, this just means that Bellator chose not to maintain exclusivity after Alvarez's camp turned down their initial offer, so he can speak to other organizations and they can figure out what his market value will be. Considering the gigantic deal that the UFC signed Hector Lombard to (a 400k signing bonus, 300k a fight, and PPV points), it'd probably be pretty tough for Bellator to match whatever the UFC offers. But stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

According to the interwebs, this weekend's Main card in Macau kicks off at 9am ET, which would be 2pm here.

According to the schedule, ESPN aren't showing it live but on tape delay at midnight.

Anyone know if this will change? It'd actually be nice to watch a live event in the afternoon! (I think Mellor always gets to watch them in the afternoon :P )

I have a feeling its going to air live our time 1am and not 2pm our time. Betting times on paddypower seem to suggest it too. Not that you should believe PP as they frequently get event times wrong.

I have a feeling its going to air live our time 1am and not 2pm our time. Betting times on paddypower seem to suggest it too. Not that you should believe PP as they frequently get event times wrong.

Jesus lets hope they don't cop it. Get on twitter and put down the winning accumulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

scudzilla wrote: »
    What a tit, it seems like he's happy to fight guys he's capable of beating yet as soon as someone comes along who he's not sure of he doesn't want to know.
    He's a fighter for fcuk sake

I don't think you're being fair at all.

They are a different weight class, and your comment "he's happy to fight guys he's capable of beating" makes it sound like he has been fed cans.

Dan Henderson
    Rich Franklin
    Chael Sonnen
    Vitor Belfort
    Forrest Griffin
    Etc.

These are all tough guys he has beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Interesting tweet from Ariel Helwani, just now.
    And at the exact same time, TMZ is reporting that Ronda Rousey is officially in the UFC, and the Jan. event will be SF's last one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement