Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Link to that story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,330 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was a bit skeptical about this bit;
    Rousey -- a former U.S. Olympian -- has officially joined Dana White's MMA organization ... and automatically becomes the 135 lb women's champion.
    But I suppose also and Cruz were auto champs. And if SF is folding...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Great news about Rousey.
    Sad news about Strikeforce. Zuffa never wanted SF to continue so they never invested a great deal of time in it. It could have been great though if they pushed it and used it as maybe a feeder to the UFC.
    I'd say we can expect a major reshuffle of the UFC roster next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dean09 wrote: »
    Great news about Rousey.
    Sad news about Strikeforce. Zuffa never wanted SF to continue so they never invested a great deal of time in it. It could have been great though if they pushed it and used it as maybe a feeder to the UFC.
    I'd say we can expect a major reshuffle of the UFC roster next year.

Should free up some talent for WSOF. Think it might be a good thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What I'd really like to see is the UFC having some sort of talent sharing contract with Invicta FC, without it I think it could really do a lot of damage to womens mma. The UFC isn't going to have the space or interest to build it's own womens division that has fighters that are really UFC quality, especially with the decline of TUF, so they'll need Invicta to do that for them. Having their top stars on the UFC would be great for Invicta, but if the top fighters all leave for the UFC as soon as they win a few fights then Invicta itself will struggle to survive and without Invicta the UFC will struggle to develop enough talent. But if you let them share the headliners it would work to everyone's advantage.

I think talent sharing is the best way to go, if the UFC were to actually buy Invicta then we all know how that would end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

What I'd really like to see is the UFC having some sort of talent sharing contract with Invicta FC, without it I think it could really do a lot of damage to womens mma. The UFC isn't going to have the space or interest to build it's own womens division that has fighters that are really UFC quality, especially with the decline of TUF, so they'll need Invicta to do that for them. Having their top stars on the UFC would be great for Invicta, but if the top fighters all leave for the UFC as soon as they win a few fights then Invicta itself will struggle to survive and without Invicta the UFC will struggle to develop enough talent. But if you let them share the headliners it would work to everyone's advantage.

I think talent sharing is the best way to go, if the UFC were to actually buy Invicta then we all know how that would end up.

I think UFC have a enough female fighters from SF that they can build a decent women's MMA division out of. The inevitable match up will be Rousey vs. Cyborg which will make them a rake load of cash and you still have some decent female fighters that can entertain. As for talent sharing I can't see it happening as UFC will never co promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I don't know if it's ever been clarified, but there have been plenty of rumours of Big Daddy Dana financially backing Invicta for a while now, so this may be something they've been planning for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Clive wrote: »

I don't know if it's ever been clarified, but there have been plenty of rumours of Big Daddy Dana financially backing Invicta for a while now, so this may be something they've been planning for.

I read an interview with the woman who runs Invicta and she said that she had a good relationship with Dana, the night of their first event he sent her a good luck card and a bunch of flowers etc.

I think Invicta has been a big factor in the UFC's change of heart towards women's MMA. Rousey showed that she is a promoter's dream but Invicta showed that there is finally some depth in the women's divisions and enough talent out there to full a division rather than just be a one-trick-Rousey-pony.

(Que jokes about riding that pony...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I also don't think the UFC will put together the Rousey - Cyborg fight just yet. No matter how deep the 135 division may become there's no denying that Ronda is still the face of women's MMA. The longer they wait before that fight happens the better Rousey's chances are IMO. Let's not forget she's still practically a rookie in terms of experience.

The more experienced Rousey gets, the more likely we are to see her win IMO. And there's no doubt that's the result the UFC want.

I think they'll build towards it over a year or so. Plus there is still the question of what weight it will happen at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anderson on a Jones fight

“The question (about facing Jones) would have to be made to Dana White. Let’s ask if he’ll give me 50% of the UFC. If he will, maybe this fight will happen.”

“I have personal projects outside of the UFC and want to put them in practice. I’m opening my own martial arts academy in LA. I want to do my thing, take some air, spend time with the family. I have more to do than take punches to the face.”

Linky : http://www.bjpenn.com/anderson-silva-names-price-for-taking-jones-fight-ufc-news/

What a tit, it seems like he's happy to fight guys he's capable of beating yet as soon as someone comes along who he's not sure of he doesn't want to know.
    He's a fighter for fcuk sake
    I don't think you're being fair at all.

They are a different weight class, and your comment "he's happy to fight guys he's capable of beating" makes it sound like he has been fed cans.

Dan Henderson
    Rich Franklin
    Chael Sonnen
    Vitor Belfort
    Forrest Griffin
    Etc.

These are all tough guys he has beaten.

I didn't mean he's fought cans, but as everyone says, he's probably the best P4P fighter ever, and those guys you mentioned i reckon he was very VERY confident of beating them.

Now a guy has turned up in Jon Jones, albeit in a higher division, and this guy has the potential to knock him into the middle of next week, and he doesn't wanna fight him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

scudzilla wrote: »
    Now a guy has turned up in Jon Jones, albeit in a higher division, and this guy has the potential to knock him into the middle of next week, and he doesn't wanna fight him

I don't see how that makes him a tit though...

I don't see how that makes him a tit though...

i dunno, maybe my dislike for him was coming through, the way he plays with his opponents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Kim wants a rematch with maia. Id love to see that fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,330 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anthony Perosh is out if his match on the smashes finale card. He broke his toe in nasty fashion. I won't post a pic/link here because its it's sick looking. But google can find it if you're curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mellor wrote: »
    Anthony Perish is out if his match on the smashes finale card. He broke his toe in nasty fashion. I won't post a pic/link here because its it's sick looking. But google can find it if you're curious.

Thanks. But my curiosity made me regret googling

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Pretty nasty, looks like hes lucky to keep his toe

Just noticed Krzysztof Soszynski is on the card, thought he jacked it in, and was doing fitness videos now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Yeah I regret looking that up too, might train with tissue boxes on my feet tonight.

Poor guy hope he gets better soon. Stubbed toe level 1000.

pauldoo wrote: »
    Pretty nasty, looks like hes lucky to keep his toe

Just noticed Krzysztof Soszynski is on the card, thought he jacked it in, and was doing fitness videos now!

He claims he doesn't remember saying it post fight as he was all over the place having been KO'd by Pokrajac.

source:http://mma.sbnation.com/2011/12/28/2666129/krzysztof-soszynski-explains-retirement-dana-white-video-blog

Krzysztof Soszynski awoke to a strange surprise on Monday morning.

Caught in the lazy afterglow of the post-Christmas feast hangover, the 34-year-old perused the internet until finding Dana White's UFC 141 video blog. Soszynski self-admittedly loves these clips because it shows fans a behind-the-scenes look at the nuances of the sport, so he popped it on. Five minutes later the fighter witnessed a scene that shouldn't have seemed foreign, but did -- his own retirement.

"I will be 100-percent honest with you: I don't remember," Soszynski said to The Province. "The last thing I remember before the knockout was walking way to the Octagon, and the next thing I remember, I'm in the back, fully dressed. I believe -- from what I've been told -- that Joe Silva just finished talking to me; he was walking away, and I was just coming to. So whatever happened from the time the fight started all the way to going to the back, whatever you see, and probably a good 20 minutes, I do not remember. That's the honest truth."

After what happened that night, Soszynski's story seems brutally plausible. "The Polish Experiment" lasted just 35 seconds at UFC 140 before being separated from consciousness with a thunderous left hook-straight right combination from Igor Pokrajac. Soszynski was out cold for the first time in his career and appeared unresponsive for several minutes after the fight.

Following such a violent end, Soszynski's son -- who along with the fighter's wife had a cageside view of the action -- asked his father to never fight again, perhaps prompting the retirement talk in White's video blog.

While that sentiment alone would be enough for most men to consider hanging up the gloves, for Soszynski there are additional outside forces that could impact his ultimate decision.

"The truth of the matter is that everybody knows I've been having some knee problems," he explained. "I've been having knee problems since UFC 110 - the first fight with Stephan Bonnar. Ever since then, my knees just haven't been the same. We basically beat the crap out of each other, and ever since then I haven't been the same. I've basically been fighting maybe 50-60-percent capacity."

Soszynski maintains that his retirement talk was premature, but acknowledges that his sun is quickly setting over the horizon. With health, time and age -- the classic rivals to any athlete -- no longer at his side, the fighter would like to have one more battle to go gently into the night, but understands the decision may be out of his hands.

"I've been fighting with these obstacles now for close to two years. I've had five knee surgeries in that time - three in the last seven months or so. I possibly have to go under the knife again -- I'll go see my doctor next week -- so we'll see; depends on what the doctor says," Soszynski concluded. "If the doctor says I can get back to fighting, I would love to have at least one more fight, and go out the proper way, not the way I did against Igor. But if the doctor says that's about it, I'm going to respect that."

Big mong face a.k.a. Bigfoot Silva lined up against Overeem superbowl weekend (whenever the hell that is)

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/432090/Overeem-returns-vs-Bigfoot-Silva-on-Superbowl-Weekend/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

p to the e wrote: »
    Big mong face a.k.a. Bigfoot Silva lined up against Overeem superbowl weekend (whenever the hell that is)

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/432090/Overeem-returns-vs-Bigfoot-Silva-on-Superbowl-Weekend/

Bigfoot will take an absolute beating in that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

yep... he's honestly stupid IMO to take the punishment that he's going to continually receive at the top of the UFC HW division. Heading down a sad road towards punchdrunkville but he obviously wants the money and wants to keep fighting. Hasn't a bleeding hope against Ubereem. I hate to see below top top fighters get bunched in with the top top guys and then caught in a situation where they can't win most fights they are faced with but also can't take lesser fights coz people associate them with being a contender when they are clearly not as in his case (ahem and I'd argue Frank is in that bracket too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

I see a Cain vs. Bigfoot take II here, an absolute beating

Dana just tweeted that Carwin injured his knee so they're looking for a new opponent for Big Country.
    The injuries just keep rolling in this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dean09 wrote: »
    Dana just tweeted that Carwin injured his knee so they're looking for a new opponent for Big Country.
    The injuries just keep rolling in this year!

Jesus. It's gonna get tp the point where you're gonna have to start making fake match ups in order to see fights you wanna see.

If you wanted GSP v Diaz & Penn v Koscheck, you'd have to schedule GSP v Penn & Diaz v Koscheck so when the injuries roll in you'd get to see the fighters replace each other all over the shop!

Has there been any official stats released about how many fights have been cancelled/changed due to injury this year?
    Just thinking of it now and off the top of my head, the number must be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I read somewhere a while back that this year there has been as many fights cancelled as there were in total in 2005

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/3/3282953/the-agony-of-the-injury-ufcs-2012-badly-slowed-by-health-woes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

When does it end? :mad::(
    PLUS Gray Maynard injured, out of Lauzon fight at UFC 155 - Jim Miller stepping in to take his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Man, Carwin is unlucky but he's really lost relevence at this stage. Pity they have scheduled Bigfoot v Overeem as I would have liked to see Roy fight Bigfoot.

I like Lauzon vs Miller as well, I think fighters getting injured in the LW division ain't as bad as there is so many good guys.

When there was fewer events (maybe 1 a month) i don't remember there being as many injuries.

Is it just that there's so many events now that we're noticing the pull outs more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Tin foil hats ready
    I suspect Carwin was never really fight fit in the first place and the fight wasn't very realistic and known insiders from the off. My view is that big country knew this which explains his indifference in coaching. Carwins $10k track & field scoop was payoff of sorts for doing the show and past glories he provided ufc as they always knew Carwin would win those track&field challenges against big country injured or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement