Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Polycom

walk out music of the year;

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

IF the Strikeforce show goes ahead, (and I personally don't think it will) and Marquardt wins his WW defence against Saffedeine will he be willing to unify the SF/UFC titles against teammate GSP?

And would the UFC be happy giving Marquardt the shot given their fairly recent issues with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

DrPhilG wrote: »
    IF the Strikeforce show goes ahead, (and I personally don't think it will) and Marquardt wins his WW defence against Saffedeine will he be willing to unify the SF/UFC titles against teammate GSP?

And would the UFC be happy giving Marquardt the shot given their fairly recent issues with him?

I hope not. That fight has GSP UD written all over it. Marquardt bottles big fights and doesn't deserve a shot for the title. Hendricks is definitely next in line then you have and if he Maia beats Fitch impressively, he would be high up and Rory Mc Donald is floating around aswell.

Put Marquardt in with Diaz that would be good fun.

unknown13 wrote: »
    I hope not. That fight has GSP UD written all over it. Marquardt bottles big fights and doesn't deserve a shot for the title. Hendricks is definitely next in line then you have and if he Maia beats Fitch impressively, he would be high up and Rory Mc Donald is floating around aswell.

Put Marquardt in with Diaz that would be good fun.

I agree that GSP would walk it, but surely if Strikeforce dies then the money fights are in the title unifications. They did it with Hendo when he came in with the Pride belts. Melendez vs Ben Henderson (or Nate Diaz of course). Rockhold vs Silva might be rough justice on Bisping, but I don't like Bisping so tough luck.

I wouldn't put Maia above Kim in the WW list, even though he has a win over him. I'd like to see a rematch there.

The difference with PRIDE and SF was Hendo at the time was considered one of the best fighters in the World at LHW and it made sense to put him against Rampage because it was an easy fight. Also, the division at the time I think was stale Shogun made his debut a few weeks later, Wanderlai was in negotiations. PRIDE had much better fighters than SF.

They unified the MW title after Hendo went down and people desperately wanted to see Hendo / Silva because Hendo was considered the only person that was able to Silva. Hence why they put it on. The unification fights made sense with the PRIDE fighters, they don't make sense with most of the SF fighters, except Melendez.

Also bear in mind, Hendo was the only PRIDE fighter to unify the titles.

• Advertisement

That's because he was the only champion to come over to the UFC following the buyout.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with much of what you're saying, but I'd be surprised if they didn't milk the "Champ vs Champ" angle for all it's worth.

That's because he was the only champion to come over to the UFC following the buyout.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with much of what you're saying, but I'd be surprised if they didn't milk the "Champ vs Champ" angle for all it's worth.

I could see it being used if Melendez comes over and possibly Cormier. With the UFC using it to an extent for GSP / Condit it would just confuse people, if they used it again if Marquardt fought GSP.

They can't use it for Rockhold as they spout out everytime that Anderson is P4P best fighter in the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,330 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who else could have do it??
    I could see it being used if Melendez comes over and possibly Cormier. With the UFC using it to an extent for GSP / Condit it would just confuse people, if they used it again if Marquardt fought GSP.

I don't think the UFC should be too concerned about people who can't tell the difference between UFC and SF titles.

Title unification is a good thing imo. It helps create linear titles and champs. When SF merges into the UFC, the titles should be unified - but only if the SF holder has a legitimate stake at a title. It's not a good idea to skip lots of obviously better chalangers.
    They can't use it for Rockhold as they spout out everytime that Anderson is P4P best fighter in the World.
    That has no bearing on a title unification really.
    Rockhold shouldn't get one because he's no good enough, not becasue Anderson is the best.

Mellor wrote: »
    Title unification is a good thing imo. It helps create linear titles and champs. When SF merges into the UFC, the titles should be unified - but only if the SF holder has a legitimate stake at a title. It's not a good idea to skip lots of obviously better chalangers.

I don't see any other way though?

The UFC aren't going to promote title unifications of Melendez vs Henderson, and Cormier vs JDS but then say "ah, we're not going to unify the WW or MW belts because Marquardt and Rockhold are pish".

It's "all duck or no dinner" IMO. Either recognise the SF champs and unify the belts or the belts cease to exist and everyone just slots into the divisions.

I don't see any other way though?

The UFC aren't going to promote title unifications of Melendez vs Henderson, and Cormier vs JDS but then say "ah, we're not going to unify the WW or MW belts because Marquardt and Rockhold are pish".

It's "all duck or no dinner" IMO. Either recognise the SF champs and unify the belts or the belts cease to exist and everyone just slots into the divisions.
    Making the GSP v Silva super fight takes unification off the table for Marquart and Rockhold.
    Give Melendez and Cormier title shots (unless Cain wins - so Cormier drops to 205)
    Marquart and Rockhold take a top 5 fight.
    Lose, the titles go away.
    Win, they deserve a title shot - reference the title unification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

GSP in Interview on Canadian talk show after 154

“On top of that, he weighs 234 pounds; I weigh 188. So there’s a big weight difference. I’ve fought guys who were bigger — I’m not scared of him — it’s just that I will take this fight when it makes sense for me. I just came back from an injury, there’s money to be made, there are fights in my weight class, other challenges out there, and if I fight him, I will have to gain weight, while he will have to lose weight, and then afterwards, I won’t be able to come back to my weight class. "

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/11/27/ufc-georges-st-pierre-discusses-anderson-silva-super-fight/

Silva 234lb ?? that's very specific that doesn't sound like he pulled that figure out of his ass less it's the start of games in which case Silva will just deny that weight completely. If Silva is at 234 between fights that's mental.

GSP is bargaining for serious rewards for taking this fight and clearly has no interest in it happening at 185 lbs but as the article says, he hasn't time to play with here, the Silva fight makes sense in May 2013 and not so much sense after that. He wont get up to 185 properly and come back to 170 for Hendricks by end 2013. It'll happen in May at 178 and they'll get a few million each, GSP will put on 5 lbs lean muscle and be huge underdog and come back down for a Dec fight with Hendricks unless they give it to Diaz in which case Hendricks will go postal on the UFC and machine gun Silva and White in a frenzied rampage.

actually fuk that there's now way in hell Silva gets up to 16.7 stone between fights and then hits 13 stone at weigh in. GSP is gaming clearly. Interesting though, to see how this whole bargaining process will unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Cesar Gracie mentioned that Melendez may drop to 145. Maybe as Nate is fighting for the title. Maybe recognising he couldn't compete with the top tier LWs in the UFC?

Just my opinion!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I dont know where GSP is getting Silva weighs 234?

I remember seeing an interview with Silva showing a interviewer around his home. This was when he was on a lay off from injury well before the Sonnen 2 fight. He was visibly soft and looked out of shape. He said at that point he was weighing 100Kg approx 220 pounds.

So if he is 220 when injured and not training, I seriously doubt he is ballooning to 234 or is anywhere near capable of getting back up to that weight come fight time.

If that was the case he would pretty much be the same weight as Cain and Cigano.... Heavyweight title run on the cards?:p

It sounds to me that GSP thinks he will loose and does not want the fight and is making excuses not to fight him.

He might take the fight when Silva is 40+(i.e "when the fight make sense for me") and over the hill. Unless Uncle Dana throws his wallet at this it looking less and less likely.

Mellor wrote: »

Gomi and Fedor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Melendez is a beast but I don't think he ever takes Nate at 155. I'd say it's more a case of Gracie not wanting to even being presented with the possible unification fight, those guys would never fight each other so that's fair enough.

I think Nate beats Bendo. Melendez vs Aldo at 145 is a ridiculous fight though.

Cormier and Melendez are only SF Champs IMO that deserve auto shots in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

If they unified all belts it would annoy me. Simply because as soon as DW did that interview with Helwani the writing was on the wall for SF. So why weren't Hendo/Reem/Diaz unification fights when they came across. More worthy champions. Bit too late now. Sure where is the Strikeforce LHW belt? Hope the titles just disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I agree, I think giving them a pop at a top contender would be fair enough. Like Diaz and Overeem when they came over.

SF is not PRIDE and the level of fighters coming over are not the same caliber/ranking.

Although I think Diaz did get a shot and put it in the pan by not showing up to a press conference...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

SDTimeout wrote: »

I think Nate beats Bendo.

I really can't see this happening. Bendo wins this all day long. He's just too strong for Nate and has good wrestling and excellent sub defence. And he packs more power than Nate. I think Bendo wins it and gets the finish.

Dean09 wrote: »

I really can't see this happening. Bendo wins this all day long. He's just too strong for Nate and has good wrestling and excellent sub defence. And he packs more power than Nate. I think Bendo wins it and gets the finish.

I agree, I'm not one for listening to fighters excuses but Jim Miller should have never fought Diaz. He was literally mid fever during his walkout. Tough tough man. Apart from a seriously depleted miller Nate has struggled against decent wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Dean09 wrote: »

Diaz won't be finished, it depends on how he's prepared for a wrestler but I can't see Hendo finishing him.

• Advertisement

Melendez drops down then gets the winner of Aldo / Edgar. Who the hell wouldn't want to see that. Two or even possibly three great fights.

I think Bendo will out wrestle Diaz, seriously doubt Nate gets finished. Don't think he ever has been and Bendo hasn't finished a single fight in the UFC.

I think Melendez is one of the most over rated fighters around and I think he lost his last two fights. I think any of the UFC top lightweights could beat him although I've no clue how'd he fare at 145.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

UFC on Fuel 7 to be held at Wembley Arena on February 16th 2013 according to Ariel Helwani on Twitter. Anyone care to speculate who may/may not be on the card? Bisping and Belfort would be a good one (with quite important implications) but that's nearly confirmed for 156 in Rio..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Now Rockhold says he never actually signed a fight contract for January....

Source
    Luke Rockhold tells Fight Hub that he never agreed to a January bout with Lorenz Larkin due to previous injury issues. Despite this, Strikeforce put out official releases that said that the fight would be happening and put Rockhold in a bad spot.

The story of Luke Rockhold pulling out of the January Strikeforce card and title defense against Lorenz Larkin has taken a strange turn over the past 24 hours as it turns out that Luke never actually agreed to the fight to begin with. Our good friends at Fight Hub caught up with Luke last night and got clarification on the situation.

From their interview:

"I never saw a bout agreement, nothing came over to me and I did not sign anything for that fight in January… I think Strikeforce got a little excited over there and starting promoting something that was never even signed on," said Rockhold this afternoon over the phone to us.

"I don’t know what is going on over there (at Strikeforce)… I have not spoken to Scott Coker or anyone else about this but I found it odd to hear about a fight I am supposed to be defending my belt in without signing a contract for it."

Luke talked more about it later:

Knowing that the marquee lights Dana White boasts could lure a fighter to get over quick, Rockhold firmly attested again he was not holding for a free ride over. "Would fights in the UFC be great right now? Of course! But right now, I am not worried about that, I am focused on what I have right now – an injured wrist that needs to heal properly so I can train."

"I tried to train in my cast and I could feel it moving and knew it would not work; when I got the cast removed and just doing things like driving my car it was hurting. So why am I going to train for a fight, defending my title, one-handed? As soon as I heard this online about January, I knew I would not be ready for it and tried calling Zuffa and Strikeforce to notify them and you have seen what happens online – people believe the rumors they want but that is all they are – Rumors. I am telling you why I am not fighting in January."

That quote is actually what makes the whole situation most interesting. Rockhold was never in a position where it seemed like he'd have accepted a fight in January due to his injury. Yet Strikeforce announced the fight anyway, including it in their press release on November 8

I'm not sure if I buy Rockholds explanation on this one. Fair enough he didn't sign a contract, but he verbally agreed to the fight. The announcement was made a few weeks ago so why didn't he say something back then? Apparently he retweeted the details of the event after it was announced. Surely he knew then that he wouldn't be able to fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

UFC Fox 5
    BJ have a chance against McDonald?

he's been in with bigger guys and won before - hughes, sanchez, sherk, stevenson and Gracie were all bigger dudes.

Rory is 'the future' as we've heard so many times and he is a bit of a freak athlete, finished 11 of his 13 wins and has size and massive power but Penn will look for a finish early as always.. an early TKO Penn's only chance? will he have gas for this fight?

an oldie but goodie BJ HL

Word is he's angry and in good shape...had longer to train and Rory trash-talked etc.. I assume the bookies have Rory heavy fav. This is a very dangerous fight for Rory and his career, if he wins it's a 'has-been' Penn, if he loses his hype train comes to a screeching halt and people will look at his record and ask 'who has he beaten apart from Diaz?'

might as well dream of BJ winning convincingly and making another run for the belt hahaha awww one can only dream.... he WAS the most naturally talented fighter I've ever seen in MMA apart from Silva it has to be said.

unknown13 wrote:
    Gomi and Fedor ]

How could Fedor have unifed the titles if he never signed with the UFC?
    And Gomi lost a bunch of times after winning the LW belt before he eventually signed.
    THe LW title was all over the palce anyway

Diaz had a chance to claim it if it wasn't for a fail a drug test.
    Xlami wrote: »
    If they unified all belts it would annoy me. Simply because as soon as DW did that interview with Helwani the writing was on the wall for SF. So why weren't Hendo/Reem/Diaz unification fights when they came across. More worthy champions. Bit too late now. Sure where is the Strikeforce LHW belt? Hope the titles just disappear.

Because those titles titles still existed in SF when when each of those decided to vacate the title.

Although, Overeem is still the Lineal Champ apparently -
    Royce...Randy...Big Nog...Fedor, Werdum, Overeem
    (I cut soem guys out but you get the gist)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

UFC on Fuel 7 to be held at Wembley Arena on February 16th 2013 according to Ariel Helwani on Twitter. Anyone care to speculate who may/may not be on the card? Bisping and Belfort would be a good one (with quite important implications) but that's nearly confirmed for 156 in Rio..

Id like to see Gunnar Nelson fight someone on the main card, watched him in his 1st UFC fight and he looked brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

UFC Fox 5
    BJ have a chance against McDonald?

he's been in with bigger guys and won before - hughes, sanchez, sherk, stevenson and Gracie were all bigger dudes.

Rory is 'the future' as we've heard so many times and he is a bit of a freak athlete, finished 11 of his 13 wins and has size and massive power but Penn will look for a finish early as always.. an early TKO Penn's only chance? will he have gas for this fight?

an oldie but goodie BJ HL

I think McDonald will smash him, just dont think BJ has it anymore. No doubt he was a great fighter back in his day but hes done now. I predict the 1st round will be mainly stand up, then the 2nd & 3rd Rory will take him down and control him for the rest of the fight

After being beaten up by Fitch and Diaz I would have thought McDonald would be the last fight Penn wanted. I'm sure there were easier pay days for him at 170 FairPlay to him. Would still love to see him back at 155.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else really pissed off that the UFC are charging for the fox cards on UFC.tv when they are free in America?

I don't have ESPN and used to really look forward to the fox, fuel and fx cards as they were free on tinternet. Anyone know have the UFC tried to justify penalising us in this way?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement