Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Where are you getting these figures? Dana has stated a few times that they don't release the ppv numbers

They don't formally annou8nce them like the way they do the gate takings, and the bonuses.
    But the numbers aren't a secret. They buys are process by outside companies, and external data analysts track the data too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view#UFC_.28Ultimate_Fighting_Championship.29
    http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Read on twitter that Greg Jackson has confirmed the GSP camp is focused on Johnny Hendricks.

Andersons camp has come out and said they are moving on from the GSP fight as he has no interest in making it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Rousey vs carmouche to headline UFC 157 (http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ronda-rousey-meets-liz-carmouche-in-first-ufc-womens-title-fight-at-ufc-157) Not really sure about this. Nothing against women partaking in MMA but I don't feel the UFC is ready for this as it will just lead to a further dilution of cards and further boring cards with more fights people aren't interested in.

What's people's thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jesus! Having female fights in the UFC is one thing, but a Main event?

Dana might have just lost his marbles!

I know. I wouldn't be buying it if I was in the states. They'd want to be putting a serious amount of other fights on it for me to be interested in it. As I say it's a further dilution of UFC cards and I don't think there's enough interest in women fighters yet to go ahead and start putting it on UFC cards

• Advertisement

conor678 wrote: »
    I know. I wouldn't be buying it if I was in the states. They'd want to be putting a serious amount of other fights on it for me to be interested in it. As I say it's a further dilution of UFC cards and I don't think there's enough interest in women fighters yet to go ahead and start putting it on UFC cards

Absolutely not. Ronda Rousey is a star, granted! But what are they gonna do when Rousey is out of action?

Seriously, take Rousey & Cyborg out of the equation and there's not a lot going on. There's a MASSIVE difference when it comes to the top level in the female divisions, like we perhaps see in Invicta, and the very top level in men's competition we see in UFC!

Co-Main Event I don't mind. But putting this fight above even Hendo v Machida which will be the Co-Main is nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Should this guy not get a shot in the UFC?
    Mamed Khalidov, 31, 6' - MW

last 25 fights, 23 wins, 1 loss, 13 Subs, 10 TKO/KO finishes - only TKO'd once since 2004! Tough dude. Think he's ranked 13th at MW.
    Wonder how he'd do at 185 in the UFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwysR-8XTE

I think I'd love to see Gegard Mousasi get a shot before anyone. He's fighting Mike Kyle in the final Strikeforce show in January so hopefully he gets transferred over.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Ronda Rousey is a star, granted! But what are they gonna do when Rousey is out of action?

Seriously, take Rousey & Cyborg out of the equation and there's not a lot going on. There's a MASSIVE difference when it comes to the top level in the female divisions, like we perhaps see in Invicta, and the very top level in men's competition we see in UFC!

Co-Main Event I don't mind. But putting this fight above even Hendo v Machida which will be the Co-Main is nuts!

Oh yeah I accept Rousey is a start but as you say it's going to be a very shallow division. I'm skeptical to say the least about this especially seeing how lack luster recent cards have been (granted there's this cracking one this weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Rousey vs Carmouche is a Title Fight, Hendo vs Machida isn't. Regardless of whether people think the womens division is weaker than the others, a title fight is still something that has to be treated like a big deal, not a side show.

Jesus! Having female fights in the UFC is one thing, but a Main event?

Dana might have just lost his marbles!
    It's a main event purely by virtue of being a championship fight.
    UFC 157 also hosts Henderson vrs Machida for no.1 contender.
    I'm sure it'll be a strong card. Which ever fight is technically main event isn't a big deal.

• Advertisement

According to reports, GSP has asked for his next opponent to be Nick Diaz and it looks as though the fight will get the green light!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

According to reports, GSP has asked for his next opponent to be Nick Diaz and it looks as though the fight will get the green light!

If Diaz manages to show up this time.

Dean09 wrote: »
    If Diaz manages to show up this time.

Ah he will. He drives now apparently.

Here he is getting out of his car!

weedincar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Heard the Diaz-GSP rumour. But also saw reports its a non title fight abs Hendricks and Matquart fight for an interm title which makes no sense so probably bull.

Also imagine for a second Rousey didn't exist. People think Tate - Carmouche headlines a PPV. Honestly can't see a woman's division lasting two years in the UFC.

157780658-jpg_015249.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

She could kick my ass any day :pac:

It's great that women's mma is finally in the UFC and hopefully it'll grow from here, but does anyone else think there should have been a tournament to determine the UFC champ rather than just handing the belt to Rousey?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

conor678 wrote: »
    Rousey vs carmouche to headline UFC 157 (http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ronda-rousey-meets-liz-carmouche-in-first-ufc-womens-title-fight-at-ufc-157) Not really sure about this. Nothing against women partaking in MMA but I don't feel the UFC is ready for this as it will just lead to a further dilution of cards and further boring cards with more fights people aren't interested in.

What's people's thoughts?

I think they will have to hold a TUF competition to get more people interested and tuned into the women's division. Or get them to strip off for a calendar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

It's great that women's mma is finally in the UFC and hopefully it'll grow from here, but does anyone else think there should have been a tournament to determine the UFC champ rather than just handing the belt to Rousey?

Ah you have to fast track it i think, just get her in under a head of steam there currently is. With a pre tournament people would only be casting aspersions on the shallowness of the field and viewership of the tournament not to mind possible injuries if there was a tournament. Just get it started i say.

It would be an absolute disaster for UFC if they held a tourney and Rousey didn't win the title.

Basically Dana is using the women's division as The Ronda Rousey Show. I honestly think he's a bigger Rousey fan than Women's MMA fan.

• Advertisement

Aldo and Cruz got automatic belts, so why not Ronda?

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah I know, and I think there should have been tourneys for those belts too.
    If someone is a champ in another organisation, it shouldn't mean they're automatically UFC champ aswell, in my opinion. If they haven't even had one fight in the organisation then how can they be the champ?

Mellor wrote: »
    Cruz fought Jorgensen for the UFC strap.

Cruz fought Jorgensen for the UFC strap.

Cruz fought Jorgensen in the WEC. It wasn't FOR the UFC strap, it was to be the last WEC camp and therefore the first UFC champ

Cruz fought Jorgensen in the WEC. It wasn't FOR the UFC strap, it was to be the last WEC camp and therefore the first UFC champ
    But when they fought, Cruz was handed the UFC belt, so technically they fought for it.

But when they fought, Cruz was handed the UFC belt, so technically they fought for it.

Technically, but it doesn't change the fact that he automatically became the UFC Champ by being the last WEC Champ.

After all, they didn't fight on a UFC card.

It's the same sentiment as Also & Rousey automatically being champ. Just a slightly different circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

It would be an absolute disaster for UFC if they held a tourney and Rousey didn't win the title.

Basically Dana is using the women's division as The Ronda Rousey Show. I honestly think he's a bigger Rousey fan than Women's MMA fan.

this is the impression i get, constantly banging on about her, tweeting photos, big turn around after saying there wouldnt be women in the UFC. Kinda going off Dana, used to like him, but he talks a lot of ****e and lets his emotions get out of hand too frequently

Technically, but it doesn't change the fact that he automatically became the UFC Champ by being the last WEC Champ.

It's the same sentiment as Also & Rousey automatically being champ. Just a slightly different circumstance.

True.
    I'd still like to see a tournament for the womens belt. I don't think anyone should be automatically handed a belt in an organisation they've never fought in.

No use pointing out technicalities. Aldo and Rousey were handed it. Cruz was given his directly after a fight. Big difference.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/21775/wec-53-play-by-play-and-live-results
    mmajunkie wrote:
    Dominick Cruz def. Scott Jorgensen via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45) to retain his WEC bantamweight title and become the first-ever UFC bantamweight champion.

• Advertisement

No use pointing out technicalities. Aldo and Rousey were handed it. Cruz was given his directly after a fight. Big difference.

Not really in fairness. the only difference is that he didn't have to wait for the belt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement