Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dean09 wrote: »
    But when they fought, Cruz was handed the UFC belt, so technically they fought for it.
    Aldo was awarded his belt weeks at a random UFC event. He already had his final WEC fight. Cruz was already scheduled to fight Jorgensen, so they had to wait until that to award the belt. Technically, Aldo verses Gamburyan, was for the UFC title.

Just like Rousey isn't fighting on the final SF card. The UFC title was decided verses Kaufman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mellor wrote: »
    Aldo was awarded his belt weeks at a random UFC event. He already had his final WEC fight. Cruz was already scheduled to fight Jorgensen, so they had to wait until that to award the belt. Technically, Aldo verses Gamburyan, was for the UFC title.

Just like Rousey isn't fighting on the final SF card. The UFC title was decided verses Kaufman.
    I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
    The UFC just hand a belt to somebody and say "Oh well I guess your last fight was for the belt."
    I'd much prefer a tournament every time a new division is introduced. I'd say the majority of fans would prefer it this way too.
    Would you?

Would I prefer a tourney, absolutely.
    I wasn't saying just handing out the belt is best, I was just pointing out that the Rousey was no different than Aldo and Cruz.

Even a 4 man tourney would of been worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Meant post this last week but anyhow interesting how Bones tries to dodge the question on verbally tapping,understandable I guess.

• Advertisement

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Meant post this last week but anyhow interesting how Bones tries to dodge the question on verbally tapping,understandable I guess.

and the greatest (allegedly) P4P fighter in the world got all his picks wrong :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

To be honest he probably doesn't actually watch that much MMA. Same for GSP he said he doesn't actually follow it as its his job and he spends enough time around it with work.

He obviously picked Shogun as he is mates with him and used to train on the same team. BJ because he is another legend (doubt he knows who Rory McDonald is), and he wasn't sure if it was Nick or Nate.

I wouldnt look too far into it, other than he really couldn't give two f"cks if it doesnt directly concern him.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Anderson's picks :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

"Mom, mom - cut to the end of the story, did you shoot Yushin Okami?"

Brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

scudzilla wrote: »
    and the greatest (allegedly) P4P fighter in the world got all his picks wrong :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If only someone could translate that into a way to beat him.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If only someone could translate that into a way to beat him.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get him to pick himself to win, thereby cursing himself to defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Mark Hominick has called it quits after a string of losses. Here he is going out for a night on the town.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiYzHoi7iWbC9GfnaL9Cuz12m9PskSNiNkaQcBSumsOpiOzwbOBQ
    UFC featherweight Mark Hominick announced on Tuesday evening that he is retiring from mixed martial arts (MMA) competition, calling an end to his 32-fight career. Hominick made the announcement on Tuesday's edition of UFC Tonight on FUEL TV, citing his intentions to spend more time with family as his primary reason.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight Mark Hominick (20-12), who is most famous for being one of the pioneers in mixed martial arts (MMA) -- especially in the lighter weight classes -- has retired from professional competition in the sport.

"The Machine" announced the news on Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV, calling an end to his more than 10-year, 32-fight career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I didn't see that coming. Good fighter and always seemed like a nice guy. Sad to see him retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Oh wow!

That's surprising. He's on a bit of a skid yeah but nothing he can't come back from IMO. Shame his fights are always exciting!

Turtyturd wrote: »

Chael beat him........twice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Don't think Hominick was the same since the death of Sean Thompkins. Pity he couldn't retire on a win. Very entertaining and a loss.

Chael beat him........twice ;)

And he came up with 2 completely unique ways of winning.

Falling unconscious & blocking knees with your chest!

What a guy! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Wanderlei v stann

Silva needs to pack it in, this is going to be a one way brutal KO, at 205 too

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-on-fuel-tv-8-headliner-brian-stann-says-205-pound-bout-a-onetime-thing

pauldoo wrote: »
    Wanderlei v stann

Silva needs to pack it in, this is going to be a one way brutal KO, at 205 too

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-on-fuel-tv-8-headliner-brian-stann-says-205-pound-bout-a-onetime-thing

I don't think being at 205 makes a difference to Silva. Stann's an 185er, he just wont need to cut here

I don't think being at 205 makes a difference to Silva. Stann's an 185er, he just wont need to cut here

Stann, like Wandi, is a 205er come 185er. Maybe Wandi will be a slightly better Wandi at 205, but I don't think he beats Stann here.

It's also a fight of no consequence! Neither guy is getting near Silva or Jones anytime soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

anyone watching this tonight? great prelims & first fight on main card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

That Russian lad looked great. Hope to see loads more of those crazy slams.

Raging about the Guillard/Varner cancellation. This card really needed it.

Haven't watched TUF this time so I've no idea who any of the competitors are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Those suplexes were insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

some great finishes last night, glad to see nelson win and ricci lose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

adamski8 wrote: »
    some great finishes last night, glad to see nelson win and ricci lose!

I was hoping Ricci would win. He actually seemed like a normal person (albeit a tad arrogant). I cannot stand all that US army crap Colton keeps saying. Seriously brainwashed...

I loved Nelson's uppercut. Such a smooth sequence of punches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I was hoping Ricci would win. He actually seemed like a normal person (albeit a tad arrogant). I cannot stand all that US army crap Colton keeps saying. Seriously brainwashed...

I loved Nelson's uppercut. Such a smooth sequence of punches.
    Well he has mastered combos now!!!

In a night of poir quality reffing, Steve Mazzagatti is the standout worst ref. He actually went to stop the action after the low blow then stood back out. In his other fight he tried to get really Close before he stopped it.
    Steve, you're supposed to protect the fighter, not pretend d you are sneaking up on a squirrel.

In a night of poir quality reffing, Steve Mazzagatti is the standout worst ref. He actually went to stop the action after the low blow then stood back out. In his other fight he tried to get really Close before he stopped it.
    Steve, you're supposed to protect the fighter, not pretend d you are sneaking up on a squirrel.

How this guy is still reffing top drawer UFC events, or any MMA fights come to that, i'll never know.

Must be because Dana likes him and is a big friend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

How this guy is still reffing top drawer UFC events, or any MMA fights come to that, i'll never know.

Must be because Dana likes him and is a big friend. ;)

Dana or anyone in the UFC have no say who refs what fight. It's down to the fighting commission for that state.

By the by if you think Steve Mazzagatti is bad.....

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    Dana or anyone in the UFC have no say who refs what fight. It's down to the fighting commission for that state.
    I imagine he was joking about the fact Dana has been pretty vocal in his criticism Mazzagatti.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement