Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

F*ckin hell!

Off to the UFC for him so! Can't wait to see him finally mix it with the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dana wasn't joking when he said it was going to get ugly then?

Sounds like maybe Bellator matched the basic pay but the UFC must be offering incentives like a better win bonus or a PPV cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Dana wasn't joking when he said it was going to get ugly then?

Sounds like maybe Bellator matched the basic pay but the UFC must be offering incentives like a better win bonus or a PPV cut.

He's probably also thinking that sponsorship will be higher in UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If its a PPV cut then Bellator didn't match the offer as they are not on PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think yes he will definitely be heading to the UFC after all this but God only knows how long that will be. Not only that but I can see this happening quite a bit in the future with the type of contracts Bellator has.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Overeem got his license :) yay

Okami to face Lombard on March 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rebney claims that Alvarez showed them his contract offer from the UFC, Bellator deleted UFC, inserted Bellator and handed it back. So it is identical, word for word the same contract.

It has to be the sponsorship options that make the difference, so it could be a tough battle for Alvarez to get his release. Strictly speaking, Bellator did match the UFC offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rebney claims that Alvarez showed them his contract offer from the UFC, Bellator deleted UFC, inserted Bellator and handed it back. So it is identical, word for word the same contract.

It has to be the sponsorship options that make the difference, so it could be a tough battle for Alvarez to get his release. Strictly speaking, Bellator did match the UFC offer.

We can't really say that without, seeing the contract itself. Even if bellator did match the exact words, it doesn't make it the same value. Bonuses, PPV cuts, the ufc insurance, wouldn't be the same in bellator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

And the guy is ambitious.

You can play soccer in the first division and get a premiership wage, or you can play soccer in the premiership and get a premiership wage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

The PPV buys alone could net the guy millions during the year. Big difference right there. Look at the top 10 PPV buys -

UFC 100 - 1.6m
    UFC 116 - 1.116m
    UFC 66 - 1.05m
    UFC 121 - 1.05m
    UFC 91 - 1.01m
    UFC 92 - 1m
    UFC 148 - 1m
    UFC 94 - 920k
    UFC 101 - 850k
    UFC 111 - 850k
    UFC 124 - 800k

If he's to be on any of these type of cards he's guaranteed a shít load of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

The PPV buys alone could net the guy millions during the year. Big difference right there. Look at the top 10 PPV buys -

UFC 100 - 1.6m
    UFC 116 - 1.116m
    UFC 66 - 1.05m
    UFC 121 - 1.05m
    UFC 91 - 1.01m
    UFC 92 - 1m
    UFC 148 - 1m
    UFC 94 - 920k
    UFC 101 - 850k
    UFC 111 - 850k
    UFC 124 - 800k

If he's to be on any of these type of cards he's guaranteed a shít load of money.

Brock Lesner headlined 4 of the top 5 PPV's. He really was a huge money spinner for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/10/bt-gauntlet-sky-sports-coverage

If ESPN have no football, solid chance they will leave the market-new home for UFC could be on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

ESPN UK lost its basketball to sky as well. That was their main other draw. Hopefully UFC is now too big to be off the air like before but last time he spoke DW didn't seem to hopeful of a sky deal n maybe Gary Cook is working on it.

Both Paul Harris and Joey Beltran fail post fight drug tests at UFC on FX 6.

The UFC has announced that middleweight Rousimar Palhares and light heavyweight fighter Joey Beltran have both been suspended following their positive drug test following UFC on FX 6 in Australia. .

In a statement released by the UFC on Thursday, Palhares tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone and Beltran test positive for nandrolone.

“Rousimar Palhares tested positive for elevated testosterone and Joey Beltran tested positive for nandrolone, following their respective bouts at UFC on FX 6 in Australia. The UFC organization has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents. Both athletes have agreed to serve a nine-month suspension retroactive to December 14. They must pass a drug test upon completion of the suspension before receiving clearance to compete again.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Xlami wrote: »
    ESPN UK lost its basketball to sky as well. That was their main other draw. Hopefully UFC is now too big to be off the air like before but last time he spoke DW didn't seem to hopeful of a sky deal n maybe Gary Cook is working on it.
    I hope sky don't get it. That means ill have to pay an extra €30 a month to get sky sports! UPC are robbing bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dean09 wrote: »
    I hope sky don't get it. That means ill have to pay an extra €30 a month to get sky sports! UPC are robbing bastards.

Is FX on UPC? I hear its actually rebranding to "Fox" here too. Maybe they'll cut a deal? They've already shown TUF!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Would be impossible to see anyone other than Sky or Fox showing it. Dana is extremely happy with Fox and if he feels they can deliver the UK rights just aswell, he will give them the rights in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I miss the old days of Bravo.

Potter about on a Sunday, few jars, then 9pm on Bravo, just like watching it live

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

scudzilla wrote: »
    I miss the old days of Bravo.

Potter about on a Sunday, few jars, then 9pm on Bravo, just like watching it live
    Followed by some sexy ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »

Is FX on UPC? I hear its actually rebranding to "Fox" here too. Maybe they'll cut a deal? They've already shown TUF!
    Yeah it's on UPC alright. They are changing it to Fox soon too. I wouldn't mind if they got it because I have it as part of my tv package. The only bad thing would be a million ads during every event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

What do yee think of the Warmaster in the UFC?

Top HW right now... approx order as it is seen as on most lists

Cain Velasquez
    Junior dos Santos
    Daniel Cormier
    Overeem
    Fabricio Werdum
    Frank Mir
    Josh Barnett
    Stefan Struve
    Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva
    Roy Nelson

Josh 'Warmaster' Barnett comes in at around no.6,7 or 8 on most lists but I reckon he'd beat Mir and Werdum so I see him more as a top 5 HW.

I really hope he makes it over to the UFC... although I think there's problems with him and the UFC... maybe a personal thing with Dana I'm not sure.

He'd be expensive. He'd cost ya 200k+ a fight.

His resume is impressive no matter which way ya look at it. 16 sub finishes.... all kinds of subs. Has beaten a lot of decent guys. Needs one big win in the UFC and he'll be considered a potential contender.

Didn't bother mentioning his supposed steroid use at various times in his career... couldn't be arsed covering that : )

Test him now if he's clean let him in the UFC.

quote from very recent interview..

"It would be a great place to fight and put myself up against these heavyweights, some of which are considered to be the best in the world. I would like to test that theory out because I don’t think some of the praise that is put on these guys is not just inherited by the organization that they fight in. For me to go over there and wreck shop and rampage all over these guys would be a lot of fun for me personally and professionally. But that’s not something that’s entirely in my ability to make happen, so we’ll see how things turn out. We’ll see if the UFC wants the services of a mercenary like myself."

not an easy man to beat or knock out or sub or wrestle with.... he's a test for anyone in the HW division.... Cain included IMO. Once he gets you where he wants ya it usually ends bad for you. He doesn't have a KO in his arsenal, usually, and his gas can be questionable.

Beat Big Nog in Pride, split decision back in 2006 when Big Nog was Big Nog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Would he really cost 200k a fight, no other major promotion is out there so if Zuffa offered him 50k a fight then he'd get no higher offer IMO

ya may be right but I'd say he could score bigger than 50k outside of the UFC. He got 250k recentrly which is more than Cain even got for kicking JDS's ass (fuk u cain ; (

I would reckon Dana would do a deal with him for 3 or 4 fights at a time worth 80k turn up and 80k for the win plus bonuses and see how it works out - his name alone and prestige among a lot of old school fans would generate enough interest in his first couple fights win or lose and if he won his value to the UFC would greatly increase very quickly.

For instance if they fed him say Struve to start with and he tied Struve up and arm-triangled the fuker inside the first round people would all be all like 'woh' even though Struve ain't no contender.... if he got Mir in his second fight it would be worth a lot to the UFC - could even be worth headlining... in fact would deffo seeing as Mir is prob close to hangin up the gloves (based on his ability to win remaining big fights now)... and prob would if he lost that one.

Gonzaga. Big C, Mir, Struve, Carwin, Big Nog (after the Werdum thing), Werdum... they're all deadly match ups !!!! I'd love to see any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Didn't bother mentioning his supposed steroid use at various times in his career... couldn't be arsed covering that : )

Test him now if he's clean let him in the UFC.
    Dana said he'd be brought into the UFC if he won the SF belt. So I imagine he'll still be worth bringing in. They just need to make him sweat a bit then tell him not to do what Overeem did or he's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Think Strikeforce were paying over the odds. But with the merger it leaves fighters in a difficult spot. Especially heavyweights. They kind of have to play Danas game. I mean since Konrad retired I can't think of one fight outside the UFC I'd like to see Barnett in. Ok maybe Fedor if that could happen but unlikely. My point is the ball is with the UFC. Barnett can either take a reduced contract or sign for Bellator in their weakest division. Actually wonder if he might get a TNA cross over deal like King Mo.

But I'd say most likely he'll be in the UFC or else beating up Bob Sapp in Japan.

well hopefully not... I reckon he gets in with a 6 figure per fight deal... we'll see anyway.

Forgettin the P.E.D. issue he's still a beast... he's gotta be one of the best sub artists in MMA history.

7 Armbars of various sorts, 5 shoulder lock subs of various sorts, 3 RNCs and a toe hold for good measure !

A lot of people would like to see him and Mir I'd say !! Submission war !! and PED/TRT controversy up to the nines !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Few laughs to be had in the new UFC on FX 7 Vlog:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement