Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    Rashad has left the Jackson camp

Not only left, but stuck the boot into Jackson in the process. Even said that Jackson brought this on himself by bringing in Jones "against Evans' wishes". What the hell does that mean?

Regarding Marquardt vs Bisping, if Marquardt doesn't get over the crappy performances he's had of late that might backfire on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I don't like Jackson and his camp, he seems to always train fighters just not to lose and would rather grind out a boring points decision

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

scudzilla wrote: »
    I don't like Jackson and his camp, he seems to always train fighters just not to lose and would rather grind out a boring points decision

Mate, in fairness to you, your argument is from about 4 months ago! I think it's been pretty well established lately that this argument is complete bullsh*t!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Mate, in fairness to you, your argument is from about 4 months ago! I think it's been pretty well established lately that this argument is complete bullsh*t!

I just don't like the tactics/gameplans he gives his fighters, oooooh, let's kick the crap out of shoguns bad knee.

Not saying the result would have been different in any way at all but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed.

If they were that confident in there man then they wouldn't have needed to resort to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

I just don't like the tactics/gameplans he gives his fighters, oooooh, let's kick the crap out of shoguns bad knee.

Not saying the result would have been different in any way at all but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed.

If they were that confident in there man then they wouldn't have needed to resort to that

I can understand your uneasiness surrounding the issue but the way I see it is that once Shogun entered the cage he was fit to fight. As long as JJ tactics were legal there can be no complaint really, he targeted a weakness just like people target chins of people who were KO'd before etc...

• Advertisement

Wait........... you're saying fighters shouldn't exploit weaknesses?

So if Jose Aldo smashes a fighters lead leg to bits with leg kicks, he should stop and start on the other leg because the lead leg is weak?

How far would this go? How about if a fighter's weakness is he keeps his hand s down? Shouldn't they go for the chin and exploit this weakness?? :pac:

I just don't like it, shogun has had a lot of trouble wit his knee and i just don't like the way it was obviously targetted.

Was it legal and within the rules, Yes it was, but i don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a fight. They are there to win.
    Obviously you don't purposely try to injure or hurt a guy. But you are there to win. Take every edge, just like every other sport.

I don't like the grind out a win tactics, but how could anyone describe jones as ever having that gameplan

Crocop has been retired from the UFC

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a fight. They are there to win.
    Obviously you don't purposely try to injure or hurt a guy. But you are there to win. Take every edge, just like every other sport.

I don't like the grind out a win tactics
    , but how could anyone describe jones as ever having that gameplan

This was a lazy argument of Jackson made popular a few months back. It never had any legs because, for every fighter people might find boring (GSP or Rashad perhaps), jackson's camp had 2 really exciting ones!

Haters gonna hate though!

• Advertisement

I wasn't talking about GSP or any Jackson fighters. Read my post again, I've no problem with GJ or his fighters. I was just talking about tactics in general.

I have no problem with any tactics, the one exception is when a fighter has won two rounds and they just grind out a third round without trying to finish and not risking a KO. It's a load of balls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Marquardt thinking of a move to 170

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22934/ufcs-nate-marquardt-may-give-welterweight-a-try-will-settle-for-michael-bisping.mma

I'm not sure if its a good idea for him or not, there are much better wrestlers at 170 than 185 and both Sonnen and Okami gave him plenty of trouble. But I don't think Nate has has a future at 185, he's top tier (as he showed against Miller) but not good enough to beat the top 3.

Shane Carwin has been out of action since his July 3rd title fight loss to Brock Lesnarat UFC 116. He was scheduled to fight Roy Nelson on New Year's Day at UFC 125, but he elected for surgery to correct neck and back pain. UFC President Dana White revealed Carwin's next opponent during a live chat for the Seattle Times:

As for Shane Carwin: Jon Olav Einemo. That's his next opponent. He's from Norway. He's 6 foot 6, and he's the Abu Dabi [sic] submission champion.

White did not reveal a date for the fight, but Carwin has been rumored to appear on theUFC 131 card in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Einemo is 6-1 in his MMA career, losing to Fabricio Werdum by decision in his most notable bout at Pride 31. He last fought in November of 2006, defeating James Thompson by armbar. Einemo is most famous for winning the Abu Dhabi submission grappling tournament in 2003.

From Jonathan Snowden's MMA Encyclopedia:

With Einemo, there are constant rumors. He was always about to sign with UFC, Pride, DREAM, you name it. If there's a major promotion in the world, Einemo has been rumored to appear there. Injuries and a regular job have kept him from pursuing MMA as a vocation. As he approaches his mid-thirties, the time for Einemo is now or never.With the expansion of MMA in Europe just beginning, it seems likely that Einemo will finally find an opportunity to make a run at fighting for a living, not just as a hobby.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/23/2068077/shane-carwin-set-to-fight-jon-olav-einemo

So Carwin, the first guy to beat down Lesnar only to gas worse than Mariusz Pudzianowski is to fight a guy with half a foot, last beat James Thompson 5 years ago and won Abu Dhabi 8 years ago. The only good think to say is he's got some good jitz but Carwin is going to KO him bad.

Johnny Bones appeared on Jay Leno last night. Video here

I gotta say, he came across as charismatic, intelligent, funny and a very VERY good ambassador for MMA (he even explained a little what MMA is).

I think watching the video has made me get over the fact that he can come across as a bit cocky. Really likeable guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Yea very likeable guy. Has the personality to be a mainstream star.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

seadnamac wrote: »
    Yea very likeable guy. Has the personality to be a mainstream star.

Just watched it there, agree with that, looks very relaxed infront of the cameras. I like him a bit more, used to hate his guts after saturday night. he shouldnt be allowed kick shogun in the face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Great interview with Brock on MMA Fighting: Link

Brock Lesnar appeared briefly on Jimmy Fallon (video here). Came across very well in my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Brock Lesnar appeared briefly on Jimmy Fallon (video here). Came across very well in my opinion.

Yeah for a guy who supposedly doesn't like dealing with the media he seems pretty relaxed when he does, able to take and make a joke very well.

So, finally a bit more info on the mysterious Thiago Silva urine test.

Hes been today issued with an official compliant by the NSAC saying he provided a sample that was inconsistant with human urine.

Looks like a ban, a fine and the overturning of the Silva v Vera fight to a No-Contest!

• Advertisement

So, finally a bit more info on the mysterious Thiago Silva urine test.

Hes been today issued with an official compliant by the NSAC saying he provided a sample that was inconsistant with human urine.

Looks like a ban, a fine and the overturning of the Silva v Vera fight to a No-Contest!

Statement from Silva...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/30/2080818/thiago-silva-admits-he-cheated

seadnamac wrote: »

Wow, I really don't know what to say!!

At least he didn't spin some cock and bull story but cheating is cheating. One question remains. Why would you cheat against Brandon Vera?

At least he didn't spin some cock and bull story but cheating is cheating. One question remains. Why would you cheat against Brandon Vera?

I get what you're saying, tongue in cheek and all, but in fairness the main game plan would've been (and was) to take Vera down. If he hadn't taken then painkillers the game plan would've been out the window!

I'm glad he admitted it but, again, cheating is cheating!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Jon Fitch is out of rematch with BJ Penn at UFC 132 Due to injury.
    They're looking for someone to fight BJ.
    I think it could be John Howard or Anthony Johnson tbh.

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Carlos Conduit maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Condit would be a good match, i think johnson would be far to big for BJ, smallest welterweight against the biggest. Wouldnt have much interest in watching that either

• Advertisement

pauldoo wrote: »
    Condit would be a good match, i think johnson would be far to big for BJ, smallest welterweight against the biggest. Wouldnt have much interest in watching that either

I think BJ would win that, Total opposite of Hardy, from someone with no ground game to someone like BJ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement