Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Chinpool wrote: »
    From belchers twitter.

Good fight for both coming off losses

Big fan of Belcher. I hope he gets the job done against Bisping. Should be a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

yeah nice one - great fight for 'never give up' Bisping - Belcher takes work. Bisping will retain respect in the division if he finishes Belcher with strikes. Bisping needs at least 3 decisive wins to ever see a shot of that belt again. Will somebody just take him aside and tell him he has no cross or overhand and just have him hit the bag over and over again with straights and over hands and big filthy hooks - get those machines from Rocky 4 if you have to - he needs to develop a big punch - it has to be possible because he really moves so well and has good wrestling and good BJJ and good cardio so he needs to gain the respect of his opponents in the bubble - that only comes with a filthy knockout ability. It must be possible to develop that in the next year. Thing is to go for those punches will require him to leave a bit of his kick boxing parrying aside and it's so drilled into his muscle memory at this stage I can't see it happening. He stands far too tall and doesn't commit his weight to follow through with strikes which keeps him out of trouble but makes opponents like Belfort who have been hit by real hitters before laugh at him.

Bisping will HAVE to knock Belcher out. If it goes to the ground then Belcher will either put him to sleep or force the tap. Bisping has decent takedown defence though so it may be tough for Belcher to get him there, unless he pulls guard or dives on a leg. Should be a cracking fight either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I disagree, for me this is similar to the Belfort fight.

Bisping can't KO him (he wouldn't KO Dodson even if he took a run up IMO). It's too dangerous for Bisping to stand with him. His best bet is to take him down and grind out a win similar to how Okami did. Bisping has very good submission defence and very good wrestling so I don't think the sub is as big a risk as being KO'd by Belcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I think Belcher takes this in a very close striking matchup. Both prefer to stand, it wont be a war though. It will be a more technical fight.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I disagree, for me this is similar to the Belfort fight.

Bisping can't KO him (he wouldn't KO Dodson even if he took a run up IMO). It's too dangerous for Bisping to stand with him. His best bet is to take him down and grind out a win similar to how Okami did. Bisping has very good submission defence and very good wrestling so I don't think the sub is as big a risk as being KO'd by Belcher.

Yeah that's a fair point, and Bisping has never lost by sub. I think Belchers bjj is at a different level to Bisping though.
    I wouldn't be complaining if it was a stand up war anyway! :D

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Yeah that's a fair point, and Bisping has never lost by sub. I think Belchers bjj is at a different level to Bisping though.
    I wouldn't be complaining if it was a stand up war anyway! :D

Bisping made his name early on fighting one dimensional BJJ fighters because their strongest attack was his strongest defence.

Day, McCarthy, Schaefer...

But I think we're all missing the most exciting part of this fight.

The crap that Bisping is going to talk about Belcher's tattoo... :D

The crap that Bisping is going to talk about Belcher's tattoo... :D

To be fair, it is a pretty terrible tattoo!

To be fair, it is a pretty terrible tattoo!

As far as I remember though, Belcher is a bit sensitive about it as he got it in memory of his Dad who was a big fan of Cash.

I think Bisping is a better fighter and finds a way to win but won't knock anyone out... although I wish he could... he surely can knock somebody out with a kick - he's done loads of kickboxing - he should let the head kicks fly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I think Bisping is a better fighter and finds a way to win but won't knock anyone out... although I wish he could... he surely can knock somebody out with a kick - he's done loads of kickboxing - he should let the head kicks fly

I agree but its probably because he keeps things too tight and doesnt goes out on a limb with KO punch and kick attempts which you need to do.

Been hearing some rumours today that someone from the Belfort vs Bisping card has failed a drug test.

Clue - it wasn't Bisping...

All purely speculation at this stage btw. I'm not accusing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Been hearing some rumours today that someone from the Belfort vs Bisping card has failed a drug test.

Cannot figure out who you mean....can you give a clue??

th?id=H.5055362018380104&pid=15.1&H=160&W=108

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Think Belcher is a really poor match up for Bisping and think if he looses he may never get a title shot. As for the rumoured failed drugs test it just goes to show how the UFC are doing a better job than the comission. Every foreign show there's at least one bad sample. But that's another debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just as well.

Dana White confirmed that there was an "irregular" drug test from the event, but it wasn't Belfort.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/ufc-vitor-belfort-didnt-fail-ufc-on-fx-7-drug-test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Something that occured last night, after one of the fights, can't remember which one, both fighters started raising there hands, thinking they'd won, nothing at all wrong with that.

Then Rogan said, and he's said this many times, they're trying to impress the judges, or words to that effect.

What is the point, as by that stage the judges have already scored the fight and probably handed the cards in

scudzilla wrote: »
    Something that occured last night, after one of the fights, can't remember which one, both fighters started raising there hands, thinking they'd won, nothing at all wrong with that.

Then Rogan said, and he's said this many times, they're trying to impress the judges, or words to that effect.

What is the point, as by that stage the judges have already scored the fight and probably handed the cards in

That was the Aldo v Edgar fight.

I often think this but maybe the judges haven't scored Round 5 just yet? In a close fight like that, it could be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

scudzilla wrote: »

Final round wouldnt have been finally scored yet. More then likely doesnt make a rake of difference but its just done by their own beliefs more then anything

I was just reading the fighter salaries for UFC156 there.
    I know people always say "how come this guy earned less than this guy" etc etc.
    But I was genuinely surprised to see Overeem earned $45k more than Aldo for the event. And that's including a win bonus for Aldo.
    I know its all down to whatever contract they have but I would have thought the champ would be in a better position for negotiations and would be earning a lot more than that compared to Overeem.

Jose Aldo: $240,000 (includes $120,000 win bonus)
    def. Frankie Edgar: $120,000

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $174,000 (includes $67,000 win bonus)
    def. Rashad Evans: $300,000

Antonio Silva: $70,000 (includes no win bonus)
    def. Alistair Overeem: $285,714.29

Demian Maia: $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus)
    def. Jon Fitch: $66,000

Joseph Benavidez: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
    def. Ian McCall: $9,000

Evan Dunham: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus)
    def. Gleison Tibau: $33,000

Tyron Woodley: $87,000 (includes $43,500 win bonus)
    def. Jay Hieron: $12,000

Bobby Green: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
    def. Jacob Volkmann: $22,000

Isaac Vallie-Flagg: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
    def. Yves Edwards: $21,000

Dustin Kimura: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Chico Camus: $8,000

Francisco Rivera: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Edwin Figueroa: $10,000

But I was genuinely surprised to see Overeem earned $45k more than Aldo for the event. And that's including a win bonus for Aldo.
    I know its all down to whatever contract they have but I would have thought the champ would be in a better position for negotiations and would be earning a lot more than that compared to Overeem.

Shame, but at the end of the day, Aldo as the 145 CHamp is STILL not as much of a draw as Overeem as a HW Champ would be. And when they brought him in, that's what they were thinking. People have a fascination with Heavyweights.

Look at Boxing. How many times have we seen completely pointless HW fights get huge press?

This couple with the fact that the FW division is reletively young is probably why he got so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id say a lot of WEC fighters were offered long term deals before going into the UFC to see how their draw power would be too

It's bollox and I know I'm gona get a lesson in ppv logic and economics but **** all that - Silva was the 8th best paid guy on the card after an incredibly violent and shocking KO of the most hyped up HW fighter out there... and he gets NO WIN BONUS and only 70k?? - to go in against Ubereem??? That's pure boll0x! I know he got a finish bonus (clearly earned that on the night!) but I hope there was also backstage bonus as well! His massive upset (biggest upset I've seen in a lonnnng time) KO of Overeem saved an alright night of fights which would've otherwise been partially ruined by the Evans loss (which really hurts the UFC financially as he's one of their biggest draws ever!). The UFC is such a pile of scabby ****. They do 250,000 - 400,000 buys at $50-60 plus a load of other rev streams every single event all year long - 20+ events - thats $400-500 mill upwards in turnover minimum and they're still paying guys 8,000 dollars to put their bodies on the line????? 8K?? so they can clean up a bajillion bucks every time. Hate that **** - taints the sport for me. It's not like they're cutting it close with the economics of the thing - they just pay themselves way too much and pay the fighters way too little end of story.

It's bollox and I know I'm gona get a lesson in ppv logic and economics but **** all that - Silva was the 8th best paid guy on the card after an incredibly violent and shocking KO of the most hyped up HW fighter out there... and he gets NO WIN BONUS.....

The no win bonus would be part of his contract. And he did get the knockout of the night bonus, plus I'm sure he got another backstage bonus for that.
    And to be fair, Silva is not exactly a guy you'd have on a massive payroll. He's not really a huge draw and let's face it, nobody expecte him to win on Saturday. He pulled off a huge upset.

The no win bonus would be part of his contract. And he did get the knockout of the night bonus, plus I'm sure he got another backstage bonus for that.
    And to be fair, Silva is not exactly a guy you'd have on a massive payroll. He's not really a huge draw and let's face it, nobody expecte him to win on Saturday. He pulled off a huge upset.

yeah he did : ) I nearly shat meself laughing at Overeem - hate that dope so much - so glad to see such an underdog take that stupid smile off his face! I think Cain or JDS or Cormier would out cardio out wrestle and out smart Overeem nay bother - they're all thinkin 'bring em on' now. This stamps on the breaks for Overeem's UFC rise... or it should do... but we all know it won't at all and he'll get massive fights no matter what happens.

It's bollox and I know I'm gona get a lesson in ppv logic and economics but **** all that - Silva was the 8th best paid guy on the card after an incredibly violent and shocking KO of the most hyped up HW fighter out there... and he gets NO WIN BONUS and only 70k?? - to go in against Ubereem??? That's pure boll0x! I know he got a finish bonus (clearly earned that on the night!) but I hope there was also backstage bonus as well! His massive upset (biggest upset I've seen in a lonnnng time) KO of Overeem saved an alright night of fights which would've otherwise been partially ruined by the Evans loss (which really hurts the UFC financially as he's one of their biggest draws ever!). The UFC is such a pile of scabby ****. They do 250,000 - 400,000 buys at $50-60 plus a load of other rev streams every single event all year long - 20+ events - thats $400-500 mill upwards in turnover minimum and they're still paying guys 8,000 dollars to put their bodies on the line????? 8K?? so they can clean up a bajillion bucks every time. Hate that **** - taints the sport for me. It's not like they're cutting it close with the economics of the thing - they just pay themselves way too much and pay the fighters way too little end of story.

A) I won't go into how your post is wrong because, you already know it's wrong, you started off by saying you'd get a lesson in economics.

B) Paragraphs dude, paragraphs.

I'm not alone in saying the UFC don't pay enough to most fighters.

I'm not alone in saying the UFC don't pay enough to most fighters.

A lot of people also say the Moon Landings were fake.

Doesn't make any of them right.

What do YOU think a prelim fighter should get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

$285,714.29 is a very specific amount. His win bonus woulda been $142,857.14 as well.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    A lot of people also say the Moon Landings were fake.

Doesn't make any of them right.

right sound yeah

• Advertisement

right sound yeah

Sorry, I realise that sounded like I was being a d*ck!

What do you think they should get? Do yo think these guys would get more than 8k elsewhere?

I mean, to me there's nothing wrong with them getting 8k. It's not as if they don't have the opportunity to earn more. Look at the guys like Bisping, Koscheck, Florian etc who started out on TUF contracts.

Bisping is one of the highest paid fighters in the whole organisation now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement